Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

maybe I need to bring my monitor to the office to try it out...

e: bummer, looks like 30HZ only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the monitor is 30hz? that page says your graphics card supports 60hz

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
30Hz is chump 4K

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

my work Mac Pro and its monitors are literally almost 8 years old and they work fine, great even, given sufficient RAM and an SSD

the only thing I wish about them is that I could replace the screens with 4K displays like the Dell I have at home

it'd be theoretically possible but I don't think one could convince a Radeon 5770 to do 3840×2160 at 60HZ (I have two in that system)

holy poo poo an 8 year old Mac Pro. I had one of those at work, 8 years ago. my five year old home iMac smoked it in performance with half the cores.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

30Hz is chump 4K

yep

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the monitor is 30hz? that page says your graphics card supports 60hz

the notes on the page say a 5770 in a Mac Pro will only do 30 Hz, that's the "2" in "Yes 2"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hah gheyyyyyyy

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

eschaton posted:

the notes on the page say a 5770 in a Mac Pro will only do 30 Hz, that's the "2" in "Yes 2"

The Management posted:

30Hz is chump 4K

lol, figures

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i know that you're going for a double-irony thing here but i remember when some assholes were trying to normalize "ghey" as a supposedly non-homophobic way of still being homophobic and it's the most childish fuckingn thing, like,

"nuh uh! you can't ground me because i'm not allowed to say dirty words and "fuhk" is totally a different word waa waaa i'm a literal talking baby."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

i know that you're going for a double-irony thing here but i remember when some assholes were trying to normalize "ghey" as a supposedly non-homophobic way of still being homophobic and it's the most childish fuckingn thing, like,

"nuh uh! you can't ground me because i'm not allowed to say dirty words and "fuhk" is totally a different word waa waaa i'm a literal talking baby."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAj26rVWK14

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it looks fuzzy and bad. always be using all pixels

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i use even more than all my pixels with a scaled res

:mrgw:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
1080p resolution on a 3840 x 2160 screen? only if she's 5'3"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Update: I visited the apple store and Dell in love with the ordinary Macbook

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Valeyard posted:

Dell in love

please dont quote lines from the upcoming dell marketing playbook

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Valeyard posted:

Update: I visited the apple store and Dell in love with the ordinary Macbook

welcome to the mac club mate :cheers:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my wife needs a new laptop but it needs touch screen and tim seems to think it's a bad thing so I can't get a Mac even if I want one

also I hear they turn you into a bit of an elitist assholr. which brings me to my next question : did better call Saul finish?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

needs touch screen

lol

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Why would a touch screen be required for a laptop?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

my wife needs a new laptop but it needs touch screen
nope

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

my wife needs a new laptop but it needs touch screen

incorrect

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
have you considered an iPad pro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh please, by all means, tell me more about my use case

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

oh please, by all means, tell me more about my use case

true, you are the one who knows your wife most

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the thing my wife needs it for is to use as a simulator of a touchscreen device

I guess you could ask people to use a touchpad and mouse to simulate a touchscreen device but that would be amateur hour and not what we're about

:rolleyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
id be fuckin stoked if apple made one coz the not apple one is going to be sub-par hardware but welp.. this is our situation

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I shave one of those dell Inspiron touchscreens at work (lol) and it's pretty okay I guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one where you flip it round so it works like a tablet would be ok

in fact... this is probably an ideal situation to have a microsoft surfart

the keyboard would be tragic but I could take care of that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

echinopsis posted:

one where you flip it round so it works like a tablet would be ok

in fact... this is probably an ideal situation to have a microsoft surfart

the keyboard would be tragic but I could take care of that

a picture of echis wife, dressed to the nines in burlesque clothes with a surface in one hand, and an epic 10keyless mechy keyboars with savage cherry blue switches in the other

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

okay, so, i have a touch screen laptop

i only ever use the touch screen when there's a cat on me and it's easier to reach up and over her to tap a link rather than use the trackpad or mouse

that... that's abou tit really.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

a picture of echis wife, dressed to the nines in burlesque clothes with a surface in one hand, and an epic 10keyless mechy keyboars with savage cherry blue switches in the other

:chanpop:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Smythe posted:

:jackbud:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

your wife will dual-wield her surface and iphone 4 like liquid metal extensions of her body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So Dell started cancelling all the new XPS 15 orders due to lack of panels, and have skyrocketed the UK price into ridiculous levels

• Locked thread