Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what will this look like?

i am thinking of getting a certain laptop with this dumb rear end high resolution but i dont want it to drain the battery, can i just turn it down to 1080p and it will:

• look fine
• not kill the battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it will look fine

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

it will look fine

thats good to know. i really dont want this loving screen but there is no option to get the fhd one. well there is, but it comes with 8gb of ram, a shittier cpu, a really lovely battery etc

netflix cant even stream 4k video online yet, is there any sign of this happening soon?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's not going to help your battery, the backlight still has to drive through that denser pixel field. maybe a small impact because of reduced memory traffic when rendering but doubtful that you'll notice.

maybe stop sperging and enjoy the high quality display?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

maybe stop sperging

this is yospos

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

shut up and enjoy the correct resolution display

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

also good to see you're getting a rMBP mate

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Resolution doesn't affect battery life, OP.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
actually it looks like trash. just enjoy your high res display

unless you're buying a windows laptop, in which case it will rarely look nice no matter what you do

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you are about to depend on windows developers to respond to a trend that's only a few years old at best

L M A O

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mishaq posted:

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

actually it looks like trash. just enjoy your high res display

unless you're buying a windows laptop, in which case it will rarely look nice no matter what you do

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
in theory, with the macbook that has the usb-c port,

could you charge it using something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VJSGT2A/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you care about cpu performance you want the mbp, not the MacBook

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

if you care about cpu performance you want the mbp, not the MacBook

i know, this is just another random question. im assuming the next rmbp will have a usb-c port as well

The Management posted:

it's not going to help your battery, the backlight still has to drive through that denser pixel field. maybe a small impact because of reduced memory traffic when rendering but doubtful that you'll notice.

maybe stop sperging and enjoy the high quality display?

this is what i thought, but didnt know how to justify it :tipshat:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Valeyard posted:

in theory, with the macbook that has the usb-c port,

could you charge it using something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VJSGT2A/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

teh macbook adapter is 29W so that would probably just about work (4.8A * 5V = 24W)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nothing charges the new mb, basically. certainly not anything that also serves as a usb hub/dock, except for the $80 apple accessory

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i am thinking of getting a certain laptop with this dumb rear end high resolution but i dont want it to drain the battery, can i just turn it down to 1080p and it will:

• look fine
• not kill the battery?

get an ipad pro

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

get an ipad pro

i know youre getting one but its a terrible idea

its so big

id rather get an air 2

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i need a "rMbp", 2 dell thin-bezel monitors, a thunderbolt docking station, new chair, new desk

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

get an ipad pro

hey

i know we like to have fun and tease here in this forum, but there's no place for malicious advice

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

• look fine
• not kill the battery?

best portable does not have this resolution, best portable is 2880×1800 and has no issues either with battery life or with software not handling the high resolution

what I'm saying is you should get the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display with the i7 and 1TB SSD

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

i need a "rMbp", 2 dell thin-bezel monitors, a thunderbolt docking station, new chair, new desk

this is a pretty pro set up, but I only have one of the Dell displays for my posting station right now

(otherwise this is p much what I have at home)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have the belkin thunderbolt station at work, and the pos dell monitor has a lot of issues with DP. like i have to unplug the dock over and over to get it to work

pram
Jun 10, 2001

dell foar teh win

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tim release the retina thunderbolt display

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

dell foar teh win

my u2711 works really well with display port maybe you plugged yours in wrong

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually a piece of poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

dell foar teh win

nice 5 year old monitor

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not that model. its brand new, like purchased 3 months ago. idk what it is, and also, dont care. smd. hth

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

if it is a five year old monitor it still should work.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

don't be a poor and not replace your electronics like moo cow

or even worse and get new phones more than a year after the next gen model comes out

a shameful farmer

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mishaq posted:

don't be a poor and not replace your electronics like moo cow

or even worse and get new phones more than a year after the next gen model comes out

a shameful farmer

there's a difference between being a poor and not having to spend money to patch the hole at the bottom of your soul

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

there's a difference between being a poor and not having to spend money to patch the hole at the bottom of your soul

:smithicide:

my macs are both 4 years old and my monitor is 3 years old so im definitely a hypocrite

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

eschaton posted:

best portable does not have this resolution, best portable is 2880×1800 and has no issues either with battery life or with software not handling the high resolution

what I'm saying is you should get the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display with the i7 and 1TB SSD

I have this, and it is good.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

mishaq posted:

:smithicide:

my macs are both 4 years old and my monitor is 3 years old so im definitely a hypocrite

my work Mac Pro and its monitors are literally almost 8 years old and they work fine, great even, given sufficient RAM and an SSD

the only thing I wish about them is that I could replace the screens with 4K displays like the Dell I have at home

it'd be theoretically possible but I don't think one could convince a Radeon 5770 to do 3840×2160 at 60HZ (I have two in that system)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

its not that model. its brand new, like purchased 3 months ago. idk what it is, and also, dont care. smd. hth

just admit you're not good at computers its ok

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eschaton posted:

my work Mac Pro and its monitors are literally almost 8 years old and they work fine, great even, given sufficient RAM and an SSD

the only thing I wish about them is that I could replace the screens with 4K displays like the Dell I have at home

it'd be theoretically possible but I don't think one could convince a Radeon 5770 to do 3840×2160 at 60HZ (I have two in that system)
you can, in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

just admit you're not good at computers its ok

im afraid the fault for this botch up falls squarely in the lap of one michael saul dell , fyi

• Locked thread