Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think there's probably a huge untapped market for doing another period drama of similarly high-quality costuming and set dressing, but set firmly in the 50s or even late 40s. people would eat that poo poo up.

i dunno. there's already Mad Men (never seen it but probably close enough) but it just seems like that would probably be v expensive and mostly boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
next thing you know they'll be letting gays vote!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Roy posted:

Maybe not today, but in anctient Greece...
men as old as twenty would have intercrural sex with boys as young as 17

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm the newly installed telephone episode where someone doesn't know how one uses it, and then calls it a device of torture.

Years ago I watched some show called Bordertown. It was set at the US/Canadian border and a mountie and a marshall or something about 100 years ago.

Episode where the town gets electricity, holy poo poo! Electricity is horrible because it lets people see how dirty stuff is and some kid does something that gets him electrocuted.

So, the marshal guy, having had enough of this so-called advancement, shoots up the lights and sets things right.

https://youtu.be/51RYgUyx6IQ?t=1148

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 10, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

is downton over? i forgot to watch it for awhile :ohdear:

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

seems excessive until you realize that the light bulbs represent jack's unresolved feelings towards his dead father and the whole episode was building towards it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a real jerk posted:

is downton over? i forgot to watch it for awhile :ohdear:

downton loving sucks a huge load and i cannot believe anyone likes it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Years ago I watched some show called Bordertown. It was set at the US/Canadian border and a mountie and a marshall or something about 100 years ago.

Episode where the town gets electricity, holy poo poo! Electricity is horrible because it lets people see how dirty stuff is and some kid does something that gets him electrocuted.

So, the marshal guy, having had enough of this so-called advancement, shoots up the lights and sets things right.

https://youtu.be/51RYgUyx6IQ?t=1148

watch the far superior canada mountie show, Due South

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ms marples more of my sexual cup of tea,but all the actors who played her just arent fat enough for my tastes. i like em big

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
I liked Grantchester. Sometimes the story seemed a little too cozy but the friendship between the detective and the priest was fun.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Rambling Robot posted:

im the gay one in the historical drama 19 Kids and Counting.

ArmZ posted:

just because you are a pedo doesn't mean you are a gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Of course downton abbey sucks, it's not even a western cartoon let alone anime.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Xaris posted:

i dunno. there's already Mad Men (never seen it but probably close enough) but it just seems like that would probably be v expensive and mostly boring?

mad men is actually cool because don draper acts really bigoted and fires his friend for being gay, just like you might expect a white executive in the 60s to do

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm the one who gets raped for the sake of drama

this is the absolute worst and i can't believe how often it comes up

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

Cnut the Great posted:

mad men is actually cool because don draper acts really bigoted and fires his friend for being gay, just like you might expect a white executive in the 60s to do

no he fired his employee because the employee didn't have sex with a client and the client told don to fire the employee

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

mr.capps posted:

rape is the highest form of drama

apparently

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want to talk about how bad Indian Summers is, because I feel like I am the only person in the world watching this lovely show.

The main three leads are Ralph Whelan, the secetary to the viceroy, Alice, his sister who ran away from England with her baby because she doesn't love her husband (this is a secret), and Aafrin Dalal who works for Ralph. Then there is a preacher guy who runs an orphanage, his wife, and an Indian women who helps him run the orphanage, an old lady and a Scottish guy.

Ralph is groomed to be the next viceroy by the old lady, but wait!! He has a dark secret, he had a love affair with an Indian women and she had a son named Adam! She is dead and now the son is going to the preacher's orphanage, and the preacher knows Adam is Ralph's son! But the preacher's wife also knows secrets! She knows Alice has run away from home and is blackmailing her to get good seats and parties and force her to be her friend. But Alice has another secret, she loves Aafrin, and Aafrin loves her, but its a forbidden love. But when the show starts Aafrin already has a girlfriend society looks down upon because she is from a different religion. Also Aafrin's sister is a radical who supports Gandhi.

Also the Scottish guy kinda hangs around! I don't really know why he is in this show because for the most part he barely interacts with the other main characters! He just really looks out of place and confused most of the time so despite being totally pointless his part of the show is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wmDj6TGsyc
He has no right to be this confused.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ArmZ posted:

no he fired his employee because the employee didn't have sex with a client and the client told don to fire the employee

Yeah the thing with Don is that he really isn't a bad person in how other people back then are bad people. He just has like this really bizarre moral code that makes him hosed up.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
In Downton Abbey there was an anal scene in the first season and there was a scandal about it.

I'm not kidding.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ringo Star Get posted:

In Downton Abbey there was an anal scene in the first season and there was a scandal about it.

I'm not kidding.

I liked when the dowager countness found out and came to Mary's rescue, acting haughty about kids these days thinking they invented anal sex, when she had been pegging the Tsar 30 years ago

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
downton abbey is great for the scene where the guy is driving his car and you know he is going to die in a car accident because he is so happy and they never show anyone driving cars in that show

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

mr.capps posted:

The weirdest example is that 1990's Titanic movie where Tim Curry rapes someone for no reason other then to show how evil his character is. It comes out of nowhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mr.capps posted:

downton abbey is great for the scene where the guy is driving his car and you know he is going to die in a car accident because he is so happy and they never show anyone driving cars in that show

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pick posted:

downton loving sucks a huge load and i cannot believe anyone likes it

the first season was p good and then as it kept going it became good in a different way, specifically as inadvertent comedy

like when the loser sister gets stood up at the goddamn altar by father time's great great grandfather, if you didn't laugh your heart is dead

and it was common knowledge that marys husband was gonna bite it and leave the show so my fiancé and I kept guessing how it would happen, eventually we settled on a giant bird attack on the golf course. it was slightly less ridiculous than what actually happened and significantly less contrived.

also wtf anal scene? you guys gaslighting me here cuz i don't really remember that at all

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they're tlking about the turkish guy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
reminder that holiday special had flu ghosts who insisted that mary and matt were meant to be (matt, like the standard mayfly, fucks her and dies soon after)

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I want a historical drama where all the characters are gay and there's one straight guy they all shine on but mostly just roll their eyes at and ignore.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
have you tried reading gbs

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i thought downton abby was a comedy was sorely disappointed 10 minutes into the first episode; that's where i stopped watching

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pick posted:

they're tlking about the turkish guy

how on earth is anal implied at all there

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Ryoshi, have you ever been…in a Turkish prison?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CharlestonJew posted:

Hello m'lady I'm just a humble peasant *camera zooms in on perfect white bleached teeth*

I like how they all have anachronistically groomed eyebrows that match the era the show is actually filmed in.

I saw a stage play once that was an original Sherlock Holmes mystery set in London in 1914, and the final scene had WWI breaking out with the sound of air raid sirens and bombs dropping.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

canyoneer posted:

I saw a stage play once that was an original Sherlock Holmes mystery set in London in 1914, and the final scene had WWI breaking out with the sound of air raid sirens and bombs dropping.

lmbo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

how on earth is anal implied at all there

I think he says he'll leave her a virgin or something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xaris posted:

mad men could actually be hilarious at times

just do it like the characters from Who Framed Roger Rabbit but without the cartoons

i mean yeah Bob Hoskins is dead (RIP) but that same kinda surly alcoholic private dick demeanor could be pretty boss

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Also there's a kitchen girl named Daisy that falls in love Thomas, a flaming gay Brit who is so gay that no one thinks he is gay at all. There's this other footman that is in love with the very plain Daisy and is constantly getting cockblocked by Thomas because gay men back then loved to have drama and scandals going on.

Then World War 1 happens, and the footman wants to marry Daisy but Daisy wants the gay penis. Everyone pretty much forced Daisy to get engaged to the footman because hello it's the 1914s no woman has rights. So obviously the footman gets a serious wound and returns to the loving place where he works to die peacefully. They have a small wedding for the soon-to-die footman and Daisy and then the footman dies overnight.

After that Daisy kept getting mad at getting married to a corpse and then everyone goes back to being British.

Oh the gay footman, Thomas, also goes to war but becomes a medic, tries to make out with dudes, and then cowardly gets his hand shot to avoid going over the top into a battle. He then returns to Downton Abbey, helps out a local doctor, falls in love with a blind soldier and wants to blow his dick. Blind solider kills himself because the gays can't have anything nice either.

Then Moneypenny from Goldeneye joins the show, THE BLACKS and JAZZ come to the show and suddenly everyone wants equal rights and is crying about how women have power and things to say.

A better show? Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

canyoneer posted:

I like how they all have anachronistically groomed eyebrows that match the era the show is actually filmed in.

Someone forgot!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the war didn't start with germans bombing london

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Hogge Wild posted:

the war didn't start with germans bombing london

I know, that was a joke.