Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

no they will not posted:

another code: two memories [trace memory in the us]. The devs also released hotel dusk and that's slightly better known but another code was a really solid adventure game with fun puzzles and a good story. It had probably the cleverest puzzle in any game I've ever played, that I accidentally completely missed the first time I played [solved by trial and error without understanding]

it was the one where you have to close the ds halfway so you see the reflection of one screen on the other, wasn't it

pretty sure i googled that one. i love point and click puzzle/adventure games but i am loving terrible at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Its not that obscure but I dont think SOMA got enough love this year.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

Marlow Briggs is a good god of war knockoff for its price on steam.

Hell, it reminded me more of Bayonetta than anything else. I love Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.

For me it's the last few IGA Castlevania games. They sold like absolute poo poo and then Lords of Shadow was the best selling Castlevania game ever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't think I've seen anyone say Ecclesia was short of second best vanias ever but the one with Charlotte!!! and Johnathan!!! was pretty good too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

People definitely talk about them but I wish that they were more popular and that castlevania wasn't dead because they aren't.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
elite beat agents

ArfJason posted:

omg how could i forget Omega Boost.

whoa

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

Theres an fzeroish title bullfrog/peter molyneux made after magic carpet but b4 dumgeon master o cant rember what it was called or if ot was good.

Hi-Octane, which was loving awesome and I liked driving the big fuckoff truck

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Risk of Rain was a super cool game that I feel like people kinda forgot about, it's still a blast to play especially when you can get people for co-op

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
toejam and earl 2 was actually a mighty fine game in its own right

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ori and the blind forest..that game is pure art and i feel like it got swept under the rug. like i didnt really hear anything about it even tho its loving fantastic. i remember major review sites being all "well this is really pretty and looks like disney made it, but its..hard???? wtf 4/10"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

ori and the blind forest..that game is pure art and i feel like it got swept under the rug. like i didnt really hear anything about it even tho its loving fantastic. i remember major review sites being all "well this is really pretty and looks like disney made it, but its..hard???? wtf 4/10"
on metacritic (for what that's worth, admittedly) it's the 11th highest rated xbone game of all time, the 7th highest rated xbone game of the year and the 9th highest rated pc game of the year. i think it got its dues.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Rhythm games in general. Feels like they dont really get made anymore.

Advance Wars, also

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Kins posted:

on metacritic (for what that's worth, admittedly) it's the 11th highest rated xbone game of all time, the 7th highest rated xbone game of the year and the 9th highest rated pc game of the year. i think it got its dues.

it should be #1 so, still an underwhelming amount of representation here

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Advance Wars, also

dude advance wars was like the one of the most popular GBA titles ever made

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
there hasn't been an advance wars since that weird post-apocalyptic one, it's been all fire emblem ever since, so... you know, i can empathise.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

The Kins posted:

there hasn't been an advance wars since that weird post-apocalyptic one, it's been all fire emblem ever since, so... you know, i can empathise.

could be worse: could be paper mario

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Kins posted:

The advance wars guys had completely lost their minds

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Advance Wars, also

rhythm games are harder to make now due to modern tv latency and wireless controllers and such, unless they make the window for success a lot wider. sometimes they still come out on stuff that doesnt use TV, like handheld and uhh jp arcades.

Dec 26, 2012

The Kins posted:

yeah.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rockstar game's Bully and Telltale's Tales from the Borderlands.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Little King's Story

also StarTropics

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Valkyrie Profile

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
goemon outside of japan

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

starbarry clock posted:

goemon outside of japan

I love the n64 side scroller so much.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Original War, which I made a thread about forever ago, it was an RTS that came out in 2001. It was a way more ambitious RPG/RTS hybrid thing with limited resources and a sometimes-brutal difficulty so it's easy to see why Starcraft had 9000 billion people playing it and this game didn't. Also it was an Eastern European game and those games are very rarely seen in the USA besides Stalker.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

That one was rad but will never beat this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQbqyMDOLQ

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

oh man, Goemon rules. Mystical Ninja is so goddamn awesome. I only got Mystical Ninja 2 for N64 the other day, gonna play it co-op with my friend

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

metricchip posted:

That one was rad but will never beat this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQbqyMDOLQ

I disagree just because the sidescroller is an amazing co-op game. It has incredible music as well, definitely my favorite on the N64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCrGFa213Dw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFlFstTLcrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqAZELJuErw

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Evil Eagle posted:

their all good i used to have them all but now i only have great adventure and the snes one :cry:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the tenchu series
they haven't improved much with every installment, but i really like clearing levels full of unaware guards. the predator levels in the arkham games and splinter cell conviction kinda did the same for me.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Within A Deep Forest was a cool side scrolling ball bouncing game with neat mechanics and an incredible soundtrack.

Star Ocean The Second Story is my favorite jrpg ever but it's Hard to find now and the psp remake isn't on the store for some reason

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Benny D posted:

Star Ocean The Second Story is my favorite jrpg ever but it's Hard to find now and the psp remake isn't on the store for some reason

Hell yeah, I love this game so much! I gotta pick it up again since I haven't played it for so long. Maybe I'll challenge myself and have team with Ernest in it.

As for underrated games I have in mind, Dungeons and Dragons: Shadows over Mystara and Alien vs Predator are a couple of Capcom beat em ups few people talk about. I think they are very stellar games, and I'm glad SoM got a port for Steam along with the previous game bundled.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
man, a new mystical ninja would be sick. it would probably be on the wii-u and i couldn't play it, but i like the idea.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Distance and Split-Second are both excellent games, but because they feature cars they don't really get any sort of talk around here.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Trackmania is also cool, but apparently not being a simulator is a point against it for some reason?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Great Joe posted:

Trackmania is also cool, but apparently not being a simulator is a point against it for some reason?

I absolutely hate simulator car games. Trackmania is cool but it's not really my cup of tea either. I hate that sim car games are always like, on a perfect race track too. That's gay. Give me an offroad racing game where your car can break down if you ride it too rough or crash into something or scrape across a rock. Like the Forza version of Spintires I guess.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Super Time Force was a retro inspired indie action platformer that came out in 2014 that wasn't Shovel Knight so it got swept under the rug by mainstream games media.

You've invented time travel, then suddenly the world goes to poo poo. Obviously the two are unrelated so your best course of action is to try and use time travel to unfuck everything. Has the coolest time travel mechanic I've ever seen in a game where when you rewind time instead of undoing everything you are now fighting alongside an army of yourselves.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Super Time Force was a retro inspired indie action platformer

Mainstream media

for all I know this game could be incredible but when I see all these words describing a game my brain just sort of shuts down and I move on to something else

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Its not that obscure but I dont think SOMA got enough love this year.

:agreed: the ocean floor was one of my favorite environments in a game this year.

I've also mentioned it before, but Sleeping Dogs is such a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rise of the Argonauts was a drat solid title that's out on steam now for pretty cheap

• Locked thread