Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Applewhite posted:

Gross. You live in the South??

gently caress you applewhite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
My Publix puts a little piece of fake green grass between the wasabi and the sushi for this reason.
Don't know what to tell ya op :shrug:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I guess while everyone is here ill ask. How like long do you cook your eel sushi rolls for? Ive tried pan searing but theyre kinda thick. How long in the oven? Its a rubbery fish

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TheLightPurges posted:

I guess while everyone is here ill ask. How like long do you cook your eel sushi rolls for? Ive tried pan searing but theyre kinda thick. How long in the oven? Its a rubbery fish

They come pre cooked.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

TheLightPurges posted:

i put nice sear on them and use a balsamic/blue cheese reduction to baste it in the oven [emote spot saved for the italian guy one that i cant find right now]

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Applewhite posted:

They come pre cooked.

Not where i live

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Smash it Smash hit posted:

gently caress you applewhite

I don't know what branch of service he's in and didn't want to make fun of one of the good ones.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
:discourse:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TheLightPurges posted:

Uhhhhhhh, sushi is supposed to be eaten raw :rolleyes:

I don't know. I've never baked eel

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wamdoodle posted:

Uhhhhhhh, sushi is supposed to be eaten raw :rolleyes:

I don't know. I've never baked eel

Lmao why are you even responding to OPs extremely transparent trolling?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
and what's the deal with airline sushi, anyways!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FedEx Mercury posted:

There's a scene in Jiro Dreams of Sushi where a guy is roasting eel on an wood fire indoors. That seems safe.

http://www.eater.com/2013/6/24/6415983/fire-at-sukiyabashi-jiro-damages-storeroom-no-injuries

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I usually just dip my sushi in honey. Try it sometime

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Every thanksgiving I go to the asian seafood buffet and load up on all sorts of sushi, very tasty

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i should bring store-bought sushi to thanksgiving for an appetizer

then when its time for dinner i can be all "oh, no thank you i have eaten alot of sushi ok im leaving now bye" and walk out with a bunch of alcohol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
so here's the way to tell if your fish is fresh or not - cause a lot of these places will pass off old fish - if you eat it and don't vomit and have terrible diarrhea, it's fresh. otherwise it's not

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Honestly you should just cook it. Theres no need to be that lazy fish cooks really fast.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
after hearing so much about "bento boxes" from theater kids i finally google it and it's just japanese tupperware??

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I would like one corn please.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FedEx Mercury posted:

I feel that it is opaque

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

TheLightPurges posted:

Honestly you should just cook it. Theres no need to be that lazy fish cooks really fast.

Nuke it with some foil covering it to seal in the flavors. About five mins or so. :discourse:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I live in the south (again, unfortunately). The commissary on base literally uses ranch instead of mayo for toppings on some of their pre-packed rolls.

My old commissary had a sign that said "Most of our sushi is cooked!"

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

I dunno I like not getting eaten by tigers and reading dank memes on the internet. Plus enjoying food from all over the world (without subpar condiments like wasabi).

You never tried it so how do you even know if you would like living that way. :smug:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

TheLightPurges posted:

Now I love Sushi. Publix sushi Is very good for its cheap price and nice option to just grab on the way home from work.

However

They and many other places put a big dab of wasabi inside the package with the sushi. Now wasabi is fine for the many people who like to harm themselves while eating. Its a cultural thing I get it and its great they provide a bit for those people for free.

But its often touching 3-4 pieces of my sushi so if I'm not paying attention and throw those out I hurt myself. That isn't the experience I paid for. They need to put it in different packaging.

My girlfriend has some intensely hosed up stomach issues and if she ever ate wasabi it would annihilate her insides. She gets takeout sushi all the time, with the wasabi in there, and has never whined about it.

Quit being a bitch boy.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i thought this thread was going to be about the waste of plastic inherent with bento box packaging

instead its about a baby who doesnt like simulated wasabi flavor paste

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

FuhrerHat posted:

i thought this thread was going to be about the waste of plastic inherent with bento box packaging

instead its about a baby who doesnt like simulated wasabi flavor paste

welcome to goons

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
the wasabi is fine, it's the ginger that pisses me off. it spreads its lovely taste all around the box and i hate it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

op ive been eagerly waiting for your next forums episode. 'ketchup on steak' was a good start and 'wait staff shouldnt be tipped' was a solid followup but this is just not what i hoped for.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheLightPurges posted:

Now I love Sushi. Publix sushi Is very good for its cheap price and nice option to just grab on the way home from work.

However

They and many other places put a big dab of wasabi inside the package with the sushi. Now wasabi is fine for the many people who like to harm themselves while eating. Its a cultural thing I get it and its great they provide a bit for those people for free.

But its often touching 3-4 pieces of my sushi so if I'm not paying attention and throw those out I hurt myself. That isn't the experience I paid for. They need to put it in different packaging.

Maybe you can ask Publix if they make sushi for literal babies.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
when you get grocery store sushi if you must, hold onto it at the check out so the idiot cashier cant bag it vertically causing the sushi to slide to the bottom of the container and break apart and ginger and wasabi to get all over it. sorry if this has already been addressed

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

alternatively, shake the package all you want and just eat your food regardless

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

FuhrerHat posted:

alternatively, shake the package all you want and just eat your food regardless

oncwe when I got home with my sushi it was so annihilated from the travel that I just dumped the contents into a bowl and ate it with a spoon

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
the apple-sushi-ball thing was a good idea to whoever suggested it. it would probably neutralize the wasabi flavors pretty well.

op i hope they switch the cucumber in your sushi with just sticks of wasabi paste. get hosed.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Haverchuck posted:

oncwe when I got home with my sushi it was so annihilated from the travel that I just dumped the contents into a bowl and ate it with a spoon

Thats fine its called chirashi i think.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

kecske posted:

op ive been eagerly waiting for your next forums episode. 'ketchup on steak' was a good start and 'wait staff shouldnt be tipped' was a solid followup but this is just not what i hoped for.

You are forgetting about informing the police about undesirables possibly gaming the generosity of various fast food establishments and the blight they represent.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Haverchuck posted:

nice, i respect you for this.

i actually make bowl sushi all the time because its conducive to shoveling into your mouth

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

FuhrerHat posted:

nice, i respect you for this.

i actually make bowl sushi all the time because its conducive to shoveling into your mouth

Its quite american when you think about it that way!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Hardawn posted:

You are forgetting about informing the police about undesirables possibly gaming the generosity of various fast food establishments and the blight they represent.

I don't know what was controversial about that. I even said we should give them the opportunity to pour it out.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Maldoror posted:

Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii (cute)). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
my bento brings all the boys to the yard

• Locked thread