Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ZombieParts posted:

In the first film, it seemed like people accepted that you just don't gently caress with john wick. Theon just didn't know any better and stole his car and killed his dog. Everyone died because of it. This new one, they seem to know exactly who john wick is and they're still loving with him. It's already terrible

dang that's a good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

dang that's a good point

They are going to play it off that every assassin that wants to make a name for themselves is going to try to kill John Wick.

Its going to be a bunch of young bloods going "pfffft, all that poo poo he did wasn't true, I can take him".

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

ZombieParts posted:

In the first film, it seemed like people accepted that you just don't gently caress with john wick. Theon just didn't know any better and stole his car and killed his dog. Everyone died because of it. This new one, they seem to know exactly who john wick is and they're still loving with him. It's already terrible

More people than just Theon made the mistake of loving with John Wick, though. Perkins tried to kill him, and on Continental grounds, no less. After Wick got his revenge on Theon, his dad could have been smart and cut his losses, and that probably would have been it. But near the end of the movie, not only did he decide to kill John's old friend Marcus because he couldn't just let it go, he also called John Wick and taunted him over his friend's death.

Mobsters just aren't very smart sometimes.

(Except for Kevin Nash, who was the smartest guy in the entire movie.)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ruddiger posted:

I hope John Wick and Jack Reacher team up to have Jay sex.
jack reacher 2 was loving garbage though. at least the first one was fairly fun :(

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ranma Fan Art posted:

should I watch the first it's on Netflix now

No it's not.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I'm concerned for his new doge :ohdear:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

wuffles posted:

I'm concerned for his new doge :ohdear:

It's a pit bull so it can take out any children while Wick shoots the adults.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

NotWearingPants posted:

It's a pit bull so it can take out any children while Wick shoots the adults.

I was deffo worried about a pair of child assassins, but now I'm gtg

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This movie needs

1. A good bad guy that keanu can go after

2. At least 50 headshots minimum

Then I am sold

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hope there are more than just incidental references to The Matrix

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Zzulu posted:

This movie needs

1. A good bad guy that keanu can go after

2. At least 50 headshots minimum

Then I am sold

that trailer shows like 4 headshots in a single second so i think you're safe to assume the latter

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also the bad guys are coming to him! except that devilish guy in the square who put out the contract on him, keanu will have to go after him at the end to make it stop.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

that trailer shows like 4 headshots in a single second so i think you're safe to assume the latter

The first I think only had 49.

naem
May 29, 2011

If there is one place I'd never go as an assassin it's a hotel full of assassins

I'm pretty sure if you are an assassin you want people to think you're like, an accountant

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm going to watch this movie in the cinema and enjoy it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

naem posted:

If there is one place I'd never go as an assassin it's a hotel full of assassins

I'm pretty sure if you are an assassin you want people to think you're like, an accountant

I dunno a central place where you're reasonably safe all things considered and you can have doctors come up and stitch you together or replace your bloody rags and you pay it all with untraceable gold dubloons sounds pretty good if you're in that biz

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
So in the first one your membership gets revoked if you kill a dude in the hotel and then they shoot you dead but what if your membership got revoked cuz you were doing something really base like jerking off in the hotel lobby, would they still murder you??

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
What if you were the 'jackin 'sassin and that was your thing?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've head of jackass, but jackassassin?

that's like being sassy and a jackass

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

i've head of jackass, but jackassassin?

that's like being sassy and a jackass

who summoned me?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh JiveHonky R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Jimmy Hats posted:

So in the first one your membership gets revoked if you kill a dude in the hotel and then they shoot you dead but what if your membership got revoked cuz you were doing something really base like jerking off in the hotel lobby, would they still murder you??

No, you get one probation and then after that you are banned but they don't murder you

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
That seems a bit iffy, unless they signed their assassin's Creed, and sang the sacred song not to tell even upon removal due to excessive lobby masturbations (thanks Jeff :rolleyes:)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tbh the hotel seems like the kind of place where if some psycho assassin wants to wank in the lobby he probably has to toss a coin to anyone who takes offense and all parties just dont talk about it or make eye contact plus you probably wanna wash that coin

recoverytrouble
Jan 28, 2008

givepatajob posted:

This is the dog he gets in the sequel.

This dogs lips. Mumma.

John Wick was a total surprise to me. I kind of wwanted to hate it cost it was a douchey shoot/kill em up. But I totally enjoyed it. After reading this thread I realise it might be because there's no real drawn out back story about the "hero". Just a badass takingrevenge on wrongs done to him. Kinda like me really.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

It was pretty unique for how low on cruft it was. Like, most modern action films have the big origin story, the labored exposition, the over-explaining of everything and a bunch of pointless character scenes because god dammit we paid for these actors and we're gonna get some acting out of it.

John Wick was just "Here's this dude, everyone's scared of him, he's retired and sad, oh look some dipshit killed his dog" and then 45 minutes of action set pieces. A whole bunch of worldbuilding was dropped in as casual as gently caress just "Oh hey by the way there's a secret hotel full of assassins who pay their way using gold coins and there's a lot of weird etiquette surrounding it and it's a safe haven" but none of the usual grind-to-a-halt exposition occurred, the film just assumed you'd roll with it and that is a good thing to assume and more films should trust their audience.

This is related to my only nitpick in the whole movie, which is that scene where John Wick gives a little speech about his motivations for all this and how the dog was a connection to his dead wife and it was just so unnecessary. Everything he said was already crystal clear by that point in the movie!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

This is related to my only nitpick in the whole movie, which is that scene where John Wick gives a little speech about his motivations for all this and how the dog was a connection to his dead wife and it was just so unnecessary. Everything he said was already crystal clear by that point in the movie!

So can we consider this to sort of be in the vein of Payback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what happens in the hotel stays in the hotel.

except you know the receptionist guy is a huge loving gossip.

• Locked thread