Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

was this in a movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

was this in a movie?

i dont know bud, but i had one, and it owned

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

echinopsis posted:

was this in a movie?

wikipedia posted:

It was originally conceived as a non-working prop for the 1992 movie Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, used by the main character Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin).

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
wait did someone seriously not know what a talk boy is

we need to raise the age limit on these forums

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ciaphas posted:

look at all these loving losers with the wrong mp3 player

yeah you fuckin bet i was the cool kid

i had one of these. i'd listen to bad songs i'd downloaded from napster on it and go for long walks with it jammed into my pants.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

maskenfreiheit posted:

wait did someone seriously not know what a talk boy is

we need to raise the age limit on these forums

i'm old enough to know what a talk boy is but i just don't care about it so i forgot

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm old enough to know what a talk boy is but i just don't care about it so i forgot

:argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
No, op. I had the very first 5gb ipod. Possibly the first one in my entire city bc I bought it 2 weeks after release (spent all my money), just before christmas 2001, and had to drive to Toronto to get one. They were quite uncommon for the first first few years, before they were compatible with USB or windows

Took it to school first day of the second semester of 10th grade and blew everyone's mind

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
My cousin had a talk boy

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

No, op. I had the very first 5gb ipod. Possibly the first one in my entire city bc I bought it 2 weeks after release (spent all my money), just before christmas 2001, and had to drive to Toronto to get one. They were quite uncommon for the first first few years, before they were compatible with USB or windows

Took it to school first day of the second semester of 10th grade and blew everyone's mind

did it release at the same time in Canada? IIRC we hose Canada on price, and it's Australia we hold poo poo up for a year for no reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

i had a 32mb diamond rio pmp300 that i got for christmas in 1998, and i think it used realjukebox to re-encode stuff to fit better. battery door broke instantly

the loving battery door.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

maskenfreiheit posted:

did it release at the same time in Canada? IIRC we hose Canada on price, and it's Australia we hold poo poo up for a year for no reason

at the time CAD was worth even less USD than it is now, so yeah, canadians would have payed like 40% more in CAD for an ipod

as a rule of thumb, for the last twenty years you've been able to tell how good or bad CAD is doing each time you pass a gas station. the more expensive gas gets, the better CAD's doing

mystes
May 31, 2006

I had a Rio Karma but after it broke and had to be serviced 5 times within like 1.5 years, Best Buy thankfully let me swap it out for an ipod under the extended warranty.

It was admittedly pretty awesome on the rare occasions it actually worked, though.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I really wanted a Rio Karma, but i had no money to buy one. then my friend gave his broken one and I fixed it by whacking on it to unstick the hard drive heads. I was pumped.

like others said the scroll wheel had a tendency to come unattached, but it had a lot of nerdy features like a dock with Ethernet port and RCA lineouts, vorbis/FLAC support and gapless playback. the one feature it had that seemed incredibly basic was the ability to queue up songs and create a playlist, but somehow it didn't seem like the ipod had anyway of doing? :shrug:

sorry for the srs post

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cheque_some posted:

I really wanted a Rio Karma, but i had no money to buy one. then my friend gave his broken one and I fixed it by whacking on it to unstick the hard drive heads. I was pumped.

like others said the scroll wheel had a tendency to come unattached, but it had a lot of nerdy features like a dock with Ethernet port and RCA lineouts, vorbis/FLAC support and gapless playback. the one feature it had that seemed incredibly basic was the ability to queue up songs and create a playlist, but somehow it didn't seem like the ipod had anyway of doing? :shrug:

sorry for the srs post

dont you dare apologize for serious posting about such a serious mp3 player POST IT LOUD IT PROUD

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

SO DEMANDING posted:

dont you dare apologize for serious posting about such a serious mp3 player POST IT LOUD IT PROUD

maybe I'll post a thread about it :smugdog:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
you're all wrong:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i had this phone with a 512 mb transflash (now microsd) that i had to buy from some specialty camera shop

i reencoded all my music to m4a to make more fit

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
it came with a 32 mb card which i wish i still had bc lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still have the original 32MB CF card that came with my first (4mp) digital camera

At the time I remember thinking "this is pretty sweet, cause I can still get 36 exposures at a go but I don't have to buy film any more!"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Triglav posted:

at the time CAD was worth even less USD than it is now, so yeah, canadians would have payed like 40% more in CAD for an ipod

as a rule of thumb, for the last twenty years you've been able to tell how good or bad CAD is doing each time you pass a gas station. the more expensive gas gets, the better CAD's doing

I meant also they don’t adjust prices.

ex: I’ve noted that book MSRPs tend to be labeled 10 CAD higher even in times the forest and CAD are equal

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
here is my yosmas unboxing experience:

thanks! i especially like the silly socks, will be looking through this cookbook for some ideas this week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"hot sauce" from minnesota is basically just a bottle of vinegar that a green pepper was hovered over for a minute right?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
minnesota was the first time i saw a motorcyclist not wearing a helmet

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wrong thread dont care

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

wrong thread dont care

:cheerdoge:

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Stereotype posted:

I got an iRiver mp3 player instead of an iPod when I was a kid because I wanted to be ~different~ and it was an enormous mistake in hindsight.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

here is my yosmas unboxing experience:

thanks! i especially like the silly socks, will be looking through this cookbook for some ideas this week.

:confuoot:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

wrong thread dont care

I’m the sheriff of being op and not caring either cool loot dude 🤠

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

minnesota hot peppers, aka tomatos

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hey man it's actually good stuff, it's won awards and everything!!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Elder Postsman posted:

hey man it's actually good stuff, it's won awards and everything!!!

oh did they give it a blue ribbon too?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oh did they give it a blue ribbon too?

yep, at the county AND the state fair

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

I still have this and it still works. It can play mp3 and some versions of wma, including videos, but you'll only hear the sound as the screen is just a 2-line LCD matrix screen. DirectCD-formatted rewritable disks are no problem so it was pretty easy to add music.

It can't play copy-protected CDs because those do conform the CD standard (and hence lack the CD logo) :spergin:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
at one point my parents gave me their old ride and it had no aux BUT it had an MP3 CD player - with a 5 cd disc changer

so I had each of the 5 genres get its own 700mb

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I had iPods but hated iTunes and liked to trade music with friends so I put rockbox on them. one still works fine like a decade later

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i had completely forgotten that for a while rockbox could run on ipods, wow. it doesn't appear to run on anything really new anymore. im honestly surprised no one has put together some horrendously nerdy "open" mp3 player

oh gently caress that just dredged up something, hahaha anyone remember this POS, the neuros?

it came in two pieces, the player module and a separate "backpack" that had the storage, either a hard drive or flash memory. and it was open source!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

I had iPods but hated iTunes and liked to trade music with friends so I put rockbox on them. one still works fine like a decade later

i had a similar experience after i quit buying apple computers but still had my old ipods and yeah i've got rockbox on my first-gen nano and it works great. the interface is ugly but hey no itunes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

i had completely forgotten that for a while rockbox could run on ipods, wow. it doesn't appear to run on anything really new anymore. im honestly surprised no one has put together some horrendously nerdy "open" mp3 player

oh gently caress that just dredged up something, hahaha anyone remember this POS, the neuros?

it came in two pieces, the player module and a separate "backpack" that had the storage, either a hard drive or flash memory. and it was open source!!

i wanted this so bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

maskenfreiheit posted:

at one point my parents gave me their old ride and it had no aux BUT it had an MP3 CD player - with a 5 cd disc changer

so I had each of the 5 genres get its own 700mb

gently caress yes

• Locked thread