Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
more memory, removable battery, cool 2000s silver and blue backlight aesthetic... what wasn't there to love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
does it have wireless? or was cmdrtaco just fronting on that

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had the one that took smartmedia cards

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the creative zen was amazing and i loved mine so much

then i lost it but at least the guy who found it got goatsed, so there's that

e: this thing https://www.cnet.com/products/creative-zen/review/

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

maskenfreiheit posted:

more memory, removable battery, cool 2000s silver and blue backlight aesthetic... what wasn't there to love?

my brother had one of these. I think he got it free somehow. the blue backlight was sickening.

there was a firmware update for it so I applied that, after which it went into a boot loop and never worked again.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I got an iRiver mp3 player instead of an iPod when I was a kid because I wanted to be ~different~ and it was an enormous mistake in hindsight.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why dont they make music like this anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT1iDKkZNYU

i mean that sound. boom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well lol I guess coz even that band only could make one song that sounded like that

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
all the ipood noobs spinning their thumbs in circles to scroll up and down, lmao

*moves finger up and down instead*

innovation

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

it wasnt that i was too poor for an ipod, rather i was far too discerning and awesome for such plebian trash

let me tell you about a real man's mp3 player: the rio karma.

20GB HDD
supported ogg and flac
brilliant ergonomic design (gently caress you, left-handers)
simple, intuitive, comfortable controls
motherfucking LINUX support, in the form of an included java app to transfer files over ethernet. yes, ethernet. the dock had a loving ethernet port along with RCA line out
at the time, the ONLY goddamn mp3 player to support gapless playback!!!! :siren:

just check this beauty out. you could change what the dock would do, like pulse while charging or pulse with music playback!

yup. a networked mp3 player. karam's a real bitch!

it was fragile as hell, especially the little scroll wheel in the corner, and lots of people had drive failures. it still owned gently caress YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hell yeah

my music players went:
rio volt 250 - so I could burn data cds with mp3s on them and have hundreds of songs at a time complete with leather case and headphone cable remote

nomad - 20gb hard drive full of 128kbps mp3s bitcj

zune - lmao

so what I’m saying here is I’m bad at selecting technology that is good

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 31, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the zune was good, it was microsoft that was very very bad

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i got a lot of zunes for free for exploiting some website points thing

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Triglav posted:

i got a lot of zunes for free for exploiting some website points thing

hella 2000s dude!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i had an archos jukebox 6000, the mp3 player with a spinning 6GB disk and such bad ui that nerds wrote a whole new os to replace it

check those beautiful corners, no cracked screen if you drop this bad boy

then i got a 2nd gen ipod with the sick physical scrollwheel and breakout clone

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

it wasnt that i was too poor for an ipod, rather i was far too discerning and awesome for such plebian trash

20GB HDD
supported ogg and flac
motherfucking LINUX support, in the form of an included java app to transfer files over ethernet. yes, ethernet. the dock had a loving ethernet port along with RCA line out
at the time, the ONLY goddamn mp3 player to support gapless playback!!!! :siren:

just check this beauty out. you could change what the dock would do, like pulse while charging or pulse with music playback!

it was fragile as hell, especially the little scroll wheel in the corner, and lots of people had drive failures. it still owned gently caress YOU

i had this. it was a pos

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

20GB HDD
supported ogg and flac

it has a network port? wanna buy one and see if i can rack up some cves

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

look at all these loving losers with the wrong mp3 player

yeah you fuckin bet i was the cool kid

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

i had this. it was a pos

it was the best pos

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

is that an mp3 cd player

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Triglav posted:

is that an mp3 cd player

no CDs, just shaped to look like one and to fit the hard drive I assume

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my first MP3 player was a 1g iPod Nano which I used until I got an iPhone. I kept it in my car and it warped but still worked well until it was recalled like a decade later and I got whatever the square touchscreen one was which I gave to a friend who had her iPod stolen.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

it was the best pos

the grip thing came off after very light use, and the part of the case that holds the spinny wheel basically separated from the rest of the case lol. it was ridiculously shoddy

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

the grip thing came off after very light use, and the part of the case that holds the spinny wheel basically separated from the rest of the case lol. it was ridiculously shoddy

i never had problems with the grip, also luckily never had hdd issues despite how common that seemed to be. the scroll wheel was pretty much guaranteed to break though, it was held in only by a tiny little shaft (mlmp), with zero reinforcement. i had to superglue it back in a few times but that never lasted particularly long. and after opening the karma up a few times it started getting hairline fractures because the body plastic was brittle as hell and really thin in key structure areas. lmao.

but i didn't give a gently caress because the software side of the karma was loving amazing. memories of listening to mis-labeled chemical brothers songs in ogg vorbis :allears:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

aw yesss I remember I held out a long time with that Sony CD player with the weird jewel

it could do mp3 cds iirc (or maybe was another model) and I’d throw 700mb of music on. 20 cd pack was like 14GB, and could tweak since they were CDRWs.

this can be the generic old MP3 player thread btw

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

maskenfreiheit posted:

i had this it owned, particularly if you used it in a car so you didnt have to ruin your jacket by having it in the pocket

it was pretty tough too, i dropped it onto a tiled floor and it just bounced a bit and was fine

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i had this it owned, particularly if you used it in a car so you didnt have to ruin your jacket by having it in the pocket

it was pretty tough too, i dropped it onto a tiled floor and it just bounced a bit and was fine

removable battery was nice too, had a spare

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

aw yesss I remember I held out a long time with that Sony CD player with the weird jewel

it could do mp3 cds iirc (or maybe was another model) and I’d throw 700mb of music on. 20 cd pack was like 14GB, and could tweak since they were CDRWs.

this can be the generic old MP3 player thread btw

before my karma I had a POS panasonic mp3 CD player

it couldn't seek within tracks. you could skip entire songs, but if you wanted to just rewind a few seconds you couldn't.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i got a 15gb first gen ipod because my parents
loved me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
no love for the dell DJ here?

friend of mine spent two weeks deciding what player to get and had listed out all the pros and cons, went with the dell dj because of the price but hated hated hated it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dongslayer. posted:

loved me

:raise:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dongslayer. posted:

are rich

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i had a 32mb diamond rio pmp300 that i got for christmas in 1998, and i think it used realjukebox to re-encode stuff to fit better. battery door broke instantly

then i had a rca lyra which i still have and it still works. crazy thing is if you use realjukebox it has a certain splash screen on the player and uses mp3 only, but the windows media player syncing has a different splash screen and plays both mp3 and wma. i assume the bootloader is written by the jukebox which sounds clever but over parallel port it was agonizing

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

totally wrong. it was third gen

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

this was my bad boy... it served its purpose for a few years. err maybe 1-2 years.

check out this excerpt from 2003 review

I bought a 128mb SD card which, combined with the internal memory, allows me to carry about 90-100 songs at very good quality which is sufficient(I don't want to scroll through 2000 songs to find one song, sorry IPOD).

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

does it have wireless? or was cmdrtaco just fronting on that

Cmdrtaco was my professor in college and he tried to brag about slashdot but all the students were too young to know what that was.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Ciaphas posted:

I had one of these and it did not make me cool. The matrix coat and takes no poo poo attitude is what made me cool.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

big scary monsters posted:

i had an archos jukebox 6000, the mp3 player with a spinning 6GB disk and such bad ui that nerds wrote a whole new os to replace it

check those beautiful corners, no cracked screen if you drop this bad boy

:same:

But if you memorized the UI it was pretty easy to fly through the menus. Mine eventually stopped booting up. I do remember the boot time was terrible...and the feeling of the gyro effects of a spinning drive platter was lol.

And, that it just let you transfer files via windows explorer and not some third party app (gently caress iTunes of yore) was grand.

When I did get an iPod for Xmas I spent many hours before even using it finding a way to drag and drop mp3s because my id3 tags or whatever weren't correct so itunes was even more of a shitshow. Thanks Napster.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I bricked mine by changing the startup logo to some unsupported format :rip:

• Locked thread