Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
You can really trace the entire weird twitter internet irony age back to All Your Base, which makes this forum the Pandora's Box of the social media era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Sekenr posted:

Why, hello, I am a member of influential message board Something Awful :wotwot:

and I'm proud of it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

This fuckin thing...

Was the reply to one of my first posts here. I think it was pics of me and my dumb rear end friends. That poo poo shut me down quick.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Pretty sure this originated here. A friend of mine printed and laminated copies to give to people, it holds a special place in my heart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
It's actually my first time seeing these macros that you've posted and I gotta say, these are much better than what 4chan came up with, especially better than those "advice penguin" or "angry wolf" poo poo that everyone else was crazy about (once).
I think you shouldn't be hard on yourself because looking at some popular communities today, holy poo poo are they full of uncreative and uninspired users across the board. This might be a major reason why SA is irreplaceable.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them this garbage started on this dead, gay internet comedy forum.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Looking at all those gave me the same kind of nostalgic feeling as looking at old Pogs

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Pixelponny posted:

It's actually my first time seeing these macros that you've posted and I gotta say, these are much better than what 4chan came up with, especially better than those "advice penguin" or "angry wolf" poo poo that everyone else was crazy about (once).
I think you shouldn't be hard on yourself because looking at some popular communities today, holy poo poo are they full of uncreative and uninspired users across the board. This might be a major reason why SA is irreplaceable.

The whole basis for "meme humor" is exactly uncreative repetitiveness; "it's funny because I've seen it before". The laughs are like some kind of conditioned response. To be honest, the way I've seen people use those sites is that they're usually scrolling past dozens of boring pointless posts for the one that's kinda sorta funny.
Perhaps some people remember YTMND. They made a randomiser that was often at least equally funny as anything the actual people there put together. 9gag could undoubtedly do the same.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Squashing Machine posted:

You can really trace the entire weird twitter internet irony age back to All Your Base, which makes this forum the Pandora's Box of the social media era

Weird twitter i thought was directly related. Lots of the early people were posters from here. Like docevil and grayalien posting on twitter instead of fyad.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Pillbug
The GIF button on WhatsApp is I think one of the things Lowtax is pointing at. Does it sound retarded that one would want to express a feeling or a situation in form of a short video clip? I think it does.

Not most of the modern/current communication tools have an "insert meme" button, but most of them support the extended emoji set. Which I think should be considered. The standardized emoji set has some characters that conveys "meme-like" messages. The thinking face becoming a meme itself is a good example.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Isaac posted:

Weird twitter i thought was directly related. Lots of the early people were posters from here. Like docevil and grayalien posting on twitter instead of fyad.

Whatever happened to weird twitter? There was a point where there was a stack of stuff that'd make me chortle but then it kinda stopped being a thing.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The huge disabled man from the 404 page

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nah, we're the internet grandpas that internet hipsters get their ironically worn styles from.
No, no we're the hipsters. The only thing about this era I've seen kids approximate is Vaporwave and they're legitimately too stupid to do anything other than slap teal and hot pink on everything.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pixelponny posted:

I think that what sets SA apart is that the internet is largely populated by a bunch of idiots acting like twelve year olds at a slumber party. Some kid farts and then another kid says a thing, and then that’s the only thing anyone wants to say for years after that because it’s sooooo funny. SA is the only place that has the equivalent of the older brother who is willing to say “okay, enough with that, time for a new joke.”

Go on reddit and tell them that another hundred comment long chain of “I’m not your buddy, pal” variations isn’t needed. You’ll be scourged and yelled at for daring to say that some things aren’t very good. Here, that poo poo doesn’t even happen in the first place, because there are standards. That’s unheard of, this is the only decent-sized place on the internet that I know of that discourages that level of lovely repetition. As the rest of the internet heads off into increasingly troubling depths of relativism and gets mad at you for saying that dudes who are still bronies are probably bad news, SA is on an increasingly short list of places where it’s okay to notice that a lot of things suck

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think that what sets SA apart is that the internet is largely populated by a bunch of idiots acting like twelve year olds at a slumber party. Some kid farts and then another kid says a thing, and then that’s the only thing anyone wants to say for years after that because it’s sooooo funny. SA is the only place that has the equivalent of the older brother who is willing to say “okay, enough with that, time for a new joke.”
i like moderation too, but i dunno if it's as great an asset as you think it is. there's turnover on reddit and 4chan as well, it just happens organically through consensus and trends. it might be slower and more diffuse, since it's not top-down and lacks a coherent chortle-maximizing agenda, but that's not necessarily the worst thing, since by its nature it better reflects the community. plus, mods are often hit or miss: we've had pedophiles and dumdums moderating here (thankfully now it's just dumdums).

i think we're served more by being dead and gay: there's no new blood in our leaky veins, so everyone either ages into some semblance of maturity or filters out over time.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer

Real Mean Queen posted:

SA is on an increasingly short list of places where it’s okay to notice that a lot of things suck

I feel like, while this was always the premise, SA has also come a long way from being the insular cool kids’ club it was back in the early oughts. Everything still sucks though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
say hi to Richard Stallman for me Lowtax!

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Can you file an intellectual property lawsuit against the rest of internet? You could buy a lot of spines with that kind of money.

Lowtax, I would contribute $20 to Crabs' fee if there was any way to do this.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Does anyone have the "I SHALL HELP SOLVE THIS PROBLEM" dog / owl thingy? Wet dog photoshopped into looking like an owl, I think.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Just think, if old man Lowtax had invested in memes when he had the chance, he could've bought THREE spines by now

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Pillbug

Real Mean Queen posted:

Go on reddit and tell them that another hundred comment long chain of “I’m not your buddy, pal” variations isn’t needed.

Other than agreeing with the points you made, I just want to vent my frustrations with Reddit a little; I'm just sick of "Reddit humor". I don't care enough for anyone who participate in that to even find it cringe worthy, I think it's just painful. Stupid jokes one after another makes that place almost impossible to discuss anything. Not to mention the Reddit format clearly isn't designed for discussions. It's also painful to find or reference any post that was made there. Of course if the poster didn't delete it before, or deleted their account altogether.

Oh boy that felt good. The points I made were obvious to everyone I think, I just needed to rant a little about it. Thank you.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Charles posted:

Anyways I opened the article and just read the parts you wrote. Nice work.
Same but I might go back and read what some non-SA people have to say. It was a really interesting read.

Seeing Lowtax on Nymag is almost as weird as the time I stumbled across a mention of moot and 4chan in a book (like a literal book made of paper)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That nymag article further cemented my belief that Stallman is loving nuts

The internet was a mistake

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't there one of a rainbow? Not the TFR rainbow gun guy, but a different one.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

dads friend steve posted:

I thought there was a super slam macro as well?

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 19, 2018

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

Perhaps some people remember YTMND. They made a randomiser that was often at least equally funny as anything the actual people there put together. 9gag could undoubtedly do the same.

I checked recently and was happy to see that all my ytmnd creations from middle school/freshman year of HS are still online

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Holy gently caress I had forgotten about this garbage piece of poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

I checked recently and was happy to see that all my ytmnd creations from middle school/freshman year of HS are still online

http://steamsteamlol.ytmnd.com/

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I still laugh that there were so many threads about goatman that there needed to be a subforum created.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

how many of you are still hoarding those INTERNET part 1 and part 2 archives from that brief period in 2004 where there was a bittorrent subforum

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
is that Randy Savage base image the longest running meme? I still see new ones all the time

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

I'm bringing this one back.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stevie Lee posted:

is that Randy Savage base image the longest running meme? I still see new ones all the time

i think the oldest meme is drawing dicks on things

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Rutibex posted:

Checks out.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Rutibex posted:

true

is graffiti/tagging the pre-internet version of posting memes?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

and the contemporary update;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
These memes are basically all white people and the only black people are portrayed in a negative light

• Locked thread