Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I'm currently on my "Internet Apology Tour," which you can read about in the New York Magazine here: http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-apology-for-the-internet-from-the-people-who-built-it.html

To the best of my knowledge there were memes before SA, but I can confidently say that the concept of a meme (dumb picture with dumb text on it, usually in Impact font) began on these accursed forums. Here's the story: Back in 2001 I wanted to try out what I called "image macros," which was basically vB code that would cause a certain image to appear, as opposed to typing out the entire image URL. So there would be vB code like :img-holyshit: that would cause a certain image to appear in place of that text. I almost instantly abandoned it after two weeks, because I got so loving sick of seeing people post the same poo poo over and over that I had no choice to pull the plug, as it was collectively lowering the average IQ of the forums by 100 points or so.

So, as a tribute to SA kinda once again causing the entire internet to turn into a loving hellhole, I present to you the original IMAGE MACROS that set poo poo off:

May the lord forgive me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
'welcome to fagotville population yuo' is going on my tombstone I just want that out there for when I'm found dead.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
no img-timeline??????

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Supreme Allah posted:

'welcome to fagotville population yuo' is going on my tombstone I just want that out there for when I'm found dead.

yah that was a good one

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

let it mellow posted:

no img-timeline??????

I don't have that one on the image server, it's probably misplaced somewhere.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Found it but on a phone so I can’t get the img tags

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773226&userid=17187

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Also I find it intensely hilarious and horrifyingly pathetic that you can now do the same poo poo on every phone and every social media platform, summon some stupid loving played out poo poo image with just the touch of a button. All the ideas and concepts I reject end up being intensely popular to the masses because I'm apparently the world's King poo poo Moron.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

It's mind-boggling to think that a kid born when these proto memes were created would be old enough to go to college.

SA basically laid the groundwork for everything good about internet comedy in the early 2000s.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

This is the only good one, but honestly it’s so good that it makes the other ones worth it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

This is the only good one, but honestly it’s so good that it makes the other ones worth it.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

is there anything loving terrible on the internet that we're not responsible for?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pound_Coin posted:

is there anything loving terrible on the internet that we're not responsible for?

idk youtube?

frerepublic

nazis

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Gonna share that article on my Facebook.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

Also I find it intensely hilarious and horrifyingly pathetic that you can now do the same poo poo on every phone and every social media platform, summon some stupid loving played out poo poo image with just the touch of a button. All the ideas and concepts I reject end up being intensely popular to the masses because I'm apparently the world's King poo poo Moron.

Can you file an intellectual property lawsuit against the rest of internet? You could buy a lot of spines with that kind of money.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I recognize three of those. It's good to know that SA was providing me lols long before I ever heard of it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the internet in the early 2000s really did have a distinctive aesthetic

can't wait for 10 years from now when a video game or movie tries to capitalize on early 2000s internet forum nostalgia

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
sometimes i try to tell people about the before days of memes, when they were called image macros

usually i get called something like "internet grandpa" which is a real thing some dumbfuck undergrad redditor called me when i was attempting in vain to teach his/her/its (because of course this doofus was gender fluid) rear end some real poo poo

you kinda hosed up by not selling these macros for megabuxx there lowtax

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I think we are internet hipsters. We made garbage before it was cool.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Pound_Coin posted:

You mean like the chain of events almost two decades in the making that ended with Donald Trump being elected President of the United States of America?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I thought there was a super slam macro as well?

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

quote:

(re: twitter)They’re a bunch of math nerds who probably haven’t left their own business in years, so they have no idea how to actually speak to females or people with other viewpoints without going to wikiHow.

I'm reading this excellent piece and when I hit this line from Lowtax I just start busting up. Everything up to it is so serious and dry and apocalyptic and then its just *faaaaaaaaart*

Kekeke! fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 19, 2018

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Kekeke! posted:

I'm reading this excellent piece and when I hit this line from Lowtax I just start busting up. Everything up to it is so serious and dry and apocalyptic and then its just *faaaaaaaaart*

yeah that was a good shitpost

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
lowtax i always like it when you get interviewed for stuff

gj it was funny. and insightful. how did they dig you up anyway

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i remember when cat macros were probatable in gbs because they were so played out here before they had even spread to other sites

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lowtax posted:

Isn't most of SA's history about keeping the masses out of this place?

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
The best one was always [img - timeline].

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

I remember when forum-raiding was a pretty common here, along with doxxing*; we def beat Fark to that

*sorry taking pictures of people's houses

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
we're so clearly living in the alternate timeline where biff has the almanac, i'm surprised this hasn't come up before

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

the internet in the early 2000s really did have a distinctive aesthetic

can't wait for 10 years from now when a video game or movie tries to capitalize on early 2000s internet forum nostalgia

ready player ten is gonna be about logging into the forums and making fiestacat your av and trying to invent slenderman before anyone else can until someone goops your keyboard

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Not bad for a first try.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Lowtax posted:

May the lord forgive me.

:frogon:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

That was a really interesting read, but the saddest part for me was that the only way I could quickly share it with other people would either be here or on facebook, I don't have a diverse internet presence.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lowtax posted:

I'm proud to say that my Windows Phone doesn't have such a function, nor does it have any function at all because the battery is dead and Microsoft gave up anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anyways I opened the article and just read the parts you wrote. Nice work.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

gary oldmans diary posted:

i remember when cat macros were probatable in gbs because they were so played out here before they had even spread to other sites

[56k NO]Cats!!!

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Pokey rules

https://www.yellow5.com/pokey/

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
This fuckin thing...

Was the reply to one of my first posts here. I think it was pics of me and my dumb rear end friends. That poo poo shut me down quick.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why, hello, I am a member of influential message board Something Awful :wotwot:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Everytime these get brought back up I think about how we should bring back the sarcastic ACES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I think we are internet hipsters. We made garbage before it was cool.

Nah, we're the internet grandpas that internet hipsters get their ironically worn styles from.

I swear every hipster in existence just got a bunch of grandpa's clothes dumped on them and went "this is now my style." It's truly amazing how much of the internet's culture can be traced back to SA approximately around the time Y2K destroyed the world and all of the missiles launched.

• Locked thread