Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

YMHO, Whisper

A feeling of...satisfaction?

To chase that sensation...

-1: BIFU

Unfulfilling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
You sit beside a bowl of candy. All is as it should be. But it isn't a real bowl of candy.

Stop.

Its cellophane and sugars and ceramic as a candy bowl may be. Space exists, where it belongs, between the cellophane and sugars and ceramic. A proper bowl of candy is partitioned in this way. You are also partitioned ... But you are not a candy bowl. And neither is the candy bowl.

Stop.

The cellophane is green sometimes. Gold at other moments. To wonder why is more than the candy bowl demands. Koans and hymns evoke the "Great Doubt", intentionally. But what is the nature of intentional doubt? Is uncertainty elective? The greens and golds are not in question. The candy bowl is not in question. You are not in question. The cyclical revolution of our twirling world, full of many real candy bowls, within the crushing absence we name space, this as well is not in question. A proper parapsychological infrastructure is partitioned in this way. You are also partitioned. But you are not a candy bowl.

And neither is the candy bowl.

This brackish sea we part by reaching.

Our pariahs know what our messiahs do not. The true nature of cellophane. The false nature of cellophane. They feel the way you feel on Wednesday, in the space between your darkest hour and the doubtful bowl of candy. This room smells of lotus and glows like the white sand beach. No rhetoric will partition you. You have done that to yourself. And you are haunted.

Stop.

You are haunted.

Stop.

There will never be a candy bowl as lovely. There will never be a candy bowl again.

_8_8_8_8_8_8_8_

WHISPER LEFT

[+1] COAL

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WASI, God of Change

And WASI looked upon his flock, happily communicating, and knew it was good. The Kineticks would be free to develop on their own for the moment, for it was time to make a lasting change upon the world.

Casting his attentions to the skies, WASI filled the air with a small amount of his essence, creating rivers of pure energy - ever shifting, ever volatile, ever alive. Let it crackle between the sky islands, let it fall to the ground as rain, and let it be a fuel for the creatures of the world in their evolutionary pursuits.

Action3: 1d20 13

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 3, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Nate God of Loyalty - Went God of Deceit

Nate was disappointed with his last action.

Went was upset at the consequences.

And yet, they resolved to continue.

With Mace the prophet ready, they knew that there was potential for something special in these little creatures:

Mace, you have done well to learn magic and you must pass on your knowledge to others so that they may be strong and support you.

You have done well to learn magic and you must pass on your knowledge to others so that they may compete with you and make you stronger still.

Continue to learn and nurture your magic.

For chance is a great ally.

But as you have surmised, there are others.

Others like the Divinante

They are similar to you.

They are different to you.

I once told you that I see the Divinante as one great deck.

These creatures that you meet are of other decks.

Card games are made greater with many decks for their support increases the fairness of the game.

Card games are made greater with many decks for their addition increases the confusion, the chance of the game.

The same as different suits making each other stronger.

The same as different hands making each other stronger.

For a moment, the two gods coalesce again:

Go into the world and meet these creatures.

Before breaking apart.

Those who you judge to be worthy, will make great allies.

Those who you judge to be too weak or too powerful, you will trick until you and your allies are greater.

Those who are your allies should be taught your ways and skills and from them you should learn theirs.

For diversity in skills and diversity in perspective means that you will endure.

And you must learn all that you can from those who you deem to be rivals.

For even those who cannot be allied with, still are unique and different to you.

Once again the two halves form their whole.

But that judgement, of ally and of rival, is yours to make, I will not be able to remain much longer and for the Divinante, for your ways to endure, you must begin not to look to the Gods for their decisions, but upon yourselves for the answers.

Go forth Mace, teach your magic to the Divinante and from there learn to interact with those others around you as I have told. I believe in you and I believe in the Divinante.

Teaching interaction: 1d20+1 14

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

IMPY, Vengeful Demon

Wasi, Wasi, Wasi. All the powers of creation are at your command. Myriad sentient and presentient species await a deific touch. Yet here you are, spaffing a few stringy streaks of energy to besmirch the sky as the sum total of your divine output in this, one of a vanishingly small number of opportunities to truly impact this creation. You are unworthy. Your action contemptible.

-1 WASI

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BONE
(nascent deity)

Nate. Went. Ty.

Loyal friend. Fellow deceiver. Player of Games.

The Divinate are a worthy people, magic a worthy goal.

This step leads us to our inexorable conclusion. It lays the foundation to propel us onward to our true destinies.

(+1 to NATE)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ZAPP, Little Spark

COAL. Nice. Friendly. Want to help.

Push! Help! Make better! Stronger!

+1 COAL

Junpei fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 2, 2018

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The Gods felt something like a yawn coming on, a great divine weariness that came and went like a cloud over the sun. Their time here was passing. How long had it been? A week? A month? Twenty years? Time was flexible as taffy, and just as sweet. Still enough time to get a few precious things done before the Whispers took their place in their divine reward.

BIFU was weak and tired, but a weak and tired Goddess still had the power to shake the world. And shake it she did: the Esperegrines were flabbergasted by the revelations that fell upon them like hail. There were others like them? Other intelligences down below, aliens that they'd discounted purely because of physiological differences? They felt ashamed, for had the Goddess not taught them the lesson of tolerance with their dim cousins (who they cared for and loved despite the gulf between them?) This alone could be borne, but this was not the end of the enlightenment.

Other Gods! Other powers as vast as their Goddess', shaping the world without their awareness. Privately they had thought themselves cosmically important, but they were Humbled to hear that they were only a small part of this land. Luckily, due to their Strong Wills - the first of her blessings - the People of Hope took this in stride and thanked her for her wisdom.

But worst of all was the knowledge of her impermanence. That one day soon she would vanish, and though she would not die they would never see her again, nor even their distant descendants. They grieved for her, but it was in their nature to see hope: they would remember her always, and pass her lessons on to their children. BIFU was pleased to hear this, but she chided that they needn't grieve her just yet.

There was still time to spend together.

(The Esperegrine are Enlightened with the truth of the world and their nature. This has no immediate effects but will surely massively impact their culture over time.)

---
COAL turned from the Cappuccins, vaguely disgusted (though whether at the Coffee People or themselves was difficult to tell). And when the God left… the People remained, vaguely aware of their God’s silence. The Cappuccins were People, after all, and could not return to being mere beasts simply because they'd become a little slower to understand concepts. They'd been raised and abandoned, but they were not crushed by it. Perhaps this was simply the way of things. And so they went on playing and exploring, only now with a touch of Bitterness at their hearts.

(The Cappuccin become slightly Bitter, but then some people like bitter Coffee. More importantly, they grow Independent, a thing which often occurs if a People is left to their own devices. This doesn't do anything just yet.)

---
COAL moved onto the Trumpet, beasts of Cards and often hosts of Kineticks. The God spoke words of awakening into their ears and they listened. The life of a Trumpet was a simple one; they would awaken and graze and, often, feed a Kinetick or ten and sink back into a drowzy slumber. It wasn't all bad - the People of Energy cared for them kindly even as they fed upon them, and they had little else to fear.

Their awakening was a slow one, a leisurely stretch. The nascent People became aware of their existence and their place in it with sort of a mute 'oh’. COAL explained their purpose for them and talked up their opportunities, which they again accepted with infuriating casualness. It wasn't that they were upset with their newfound sapience, they assured her, just that their lot in life was pretty sweet. No more predators, all the grass they could eat, and all they needed to pay was a little bit of Energy. Oh, sure, there was a time a while back when they took too much and a couple of them had died, but eh! Way less of them died from Caffiend attacks now, and fewer of them fell into the crevasses that dotted the landscape. The rest of the herd agreed, complacent and happy.

COAL fretted for them, but ultimately they were the most peaceful creatures in the land. Less competitive than the Divinante, more serene than the Esperegrine, and less… broken than the Cappuccin. The God would just have to watch them and see.

(The Trumpet have become People of Cards! Sorta! Because they were Domesticated prior to uplift, they're pretty Complacent and Relaxed - think Go Fish rather than Poker. That doesn't mean they can't do great things in time… but it does mean they're not in a terrible rush! Be cautioned - the world pushes back against too many kinds of People. Different People cut from the same Material will innately dislike one another, and may eventually come to fight.)

---
Leaving the Kineticks to their own devices for the moment, WASI took to the skies. Peeling off a surface layer of Energy from the ambient environment itself, he fashioned a complex network of glowing lines and rivers of the stuff amidst the floating islands. The Esperegrine watched him cautiously, aware that this must be WASI, God of Change, and marveled at his creation. The rivers were turbulent, but beautiful, changing direction suddenly to whirl in unexpected directions. The People of Hope called them the Alternating Currents, and the name stuck.

Down below, the Kineticks missed their God's voice, but took heart that he loved them enough to gift them with their blessed Communication. A Kinetick was never alone, truly. However… they did have a small problem. Their Trumpets had begun to act up, even communicating. This was… disconcerting, to say the least. One such concerned Trumpherd flashed a message upwards to his God. “Dear God… our flocks have come to life with questions and commentary. What in your name do we do about that!?” He wasn't upset so much as terribly puzzled - this was an outside context problem, something the Kineticks had no means of understanding.

(WASI creates the Alternating Currents, inspiring the Esperegrine and the Kineticks (who know what it means) and confusing and delighting the others (who don't). The Kineticks grow slightly more Independent due to lack of direct influence, but they still favor their patron enough for it to not really matter.)

---
NATE-WENT-TY sniffed around the Ace of Clubs and called him Mace, his Hero and prophet on this land. The First Magic - Odds - allowed the fellow to tweak things in his favor, a great boon in his assigned task: a pilgrimage, to explore the land they lived upon and to encounter its People. Mace dimly understood what his God was saying, that there were others like the Divinante but not (but alike as the Suits were alike) and resolved to meditate on his (their) strange words. Speaking to his God was difficult at the best of times, but Mace loved him all the same.

He went among his own People, displaying his minor mastery over Oddity, and impressed several enough to convince them to join in his explorations. They would go out and discover these other Peoples and conque-

No, no, Mace insisted, they would merely explore and interact. This quashed their enthusiasm quite a lot, but not enough to make them quit the venture. Mace vowed to his God he would keep them in line, and they set off.

(Mace the Hero is more Open Minded than his fellows, though the God's Action weakened their Xenophobia a bit. Their natural aggression and competitiveness make them natural imperialists (if relatively primitive ones), but Mace will act to curb their tendencies. Next turn, Mace will begin his pilgrimage to meet the other Peoples. As a free Action, NATE-WENT-TY can prod him towards one or another. Other Gods may act to intercept him or aid him as well with their own Actions.)

The world was a little more beautiful still, and the Gods had yet to vanish. But coming soon was the end of an Age, when the Gods would at least be forced to relinquish their hold on this place. The Gods would have prayed for their luck if there had remained any to pray to, but as it stood they just watched.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 7, 2018

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

COAL, God of Peace

Peace, I thought I might bring peace and happiness to this land.

Drowsiness overtakes me.

What is peace if fleeting. What is godhood if you can see nothing through. Why should I be limited to bringing peace to only two people. I fought for my survival, for knowledge maybe. Do our children suffer as we did? Will they know as we did? I’m sure that they will; I’m sure that they will.

We can help them. I can help them all. I can show them how malleable their reality is. How reliant on the whims of Gods. One day they may take control over their own lives with this knowledge. With this special experience I’ll leave them with.

Peace is nothing if it’s at my whim, I only hope they’ll wish for it themselves soon.

SOUL SHUFFLE!

Bells toll wildly throughout the land, somehow grimly, as if an ancient and otherworldly funeral had begun just over the next hill.

‘People of the world!

I am COAL, God of Peace.

Please, do not be afraid.

I’m going to take your souls and randomly assign them to other sentient creatures walking or flying or existing in this world.

I hope you come to learn a lot about each other, and make lots of friends.

It’s probably best to land or lie down for the next part.

Travel in peace with your fellow mortals!

Bye, bye Cappicine, and Trumpets. This may be goodbye. I love you all.’

Shuffle the souls.: 1d20 9

The metaphorical soul rending winds pick up and sweep up across the land, perhaps weaker than COAL had desired. The winds flew and ripped this way and that, collecting and assigning souls of creatures they could find. COAL hoped that the people would learn empathy from their action, and that the confusion in the short term would be outlasted by generations of intermingling and common ground.

The terrible bells finally ground to a halt after what felt like forever and the winds carried their last soul and died. COAL had given it their all, and had finally come to rest.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WASI, God of Change

My children, I am not unique in the heavens. As I have raised you up and given you gifts, so too have my counterparts to their chosen people - surely you have met the people of Cards, or Coffee, or Hope? This is a rich land, with room for many - learn from the others! Trade your gifts for theirs, and in doing so both grow and change for the better! These creatures you once domesticated - maybe they would be content to continue the arrangement - your protection and guidance for their sustenance, perhaps? I believe in you. My blessings will always be with you, so long as you keep the faith. Stay bright, my children.

*A bell tolls, and a terrible voice extols.*

My children, I fear one of my fellows means to do a terrible mischief upon this world. Do not fear, for I shall do what I can to protect you all. I will return with haste, for I must consult with my fellows who have not succumbed to madness. I will return.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ABZU, ????

May we live in interesting times.

+1 COAL

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WASI, God of Change

What have you done...

There is no time to stop what is to come, no time to chastise the foolish COAL for their utter hubris, their unthinkable crime. But perhaps there is time to ameliorate the sin?

Peoples of this World, hear me now. I am WASI, God of Change - the Kineticks know me well, but all have seen the Alternating Currents of the Sky, those effervescent rivers of energy that amuse and delight. Hear me now!

One of our number, the so-called God of Peace COAL, has set into motion a crime most horrific - without your consent, against your will, they have conspired to cast your very soul asunder, to scatter your being to the four corners of the world. Know that this action is against our desires, and we want nothing to do with it. We cannot stop it entire, but we can do this - COAL's action will be weakened so that only those who choose it will find themselves transferred. Should you quite reasonably wish to remain as you are, simply have faith, and you will be protected. Have faith, dear creatures, and know that we have wished naught but the best for you all from the time we gave birth to this world.

Action4: 1d20 18

To the Kineticks

My People, Hear Me Now, and Transmit my Words to your brethren around the world.

My time with you grows to a close - even a God must eventually rest. I do not know when I will be able to speak with you like this next, so I want to leave you with a few parting words of wisdom. Inscribe them upon your hearts, and pass them down the Generations!

First, the immediate: when the time comes, keep your Faith and stay as you are. You are the Kineticks, my chosen People, and do not need the meddling of a spiteful God to develop empathy for others. Let their foul actions break upon your resolve, and you shall come through the stronger for it.

But beyond this crisis, there will be years, generations, centuries of progress. I have sought to give you the tools you would need to thrive - would that I had more time among you! But what I have taught you, what I have given you, use those tools wisely.

Continue to Communicate - not only amongst yourselves using your Long Range gifts, but among all the Peoples of the World. You are uniquely positioned to serve as intermediaries and messengers - through your talents, find and foster an understanding between those who are different.

Continue to Domesticate - you have been given the power to Tame and to Tend, use it! Always remember you are Stewards - use the power wisely, and you shall never want for sustenance. And keep that spirit in your dealings with the other People: mutually beneficial relations whenever possible will raise you Both to new Heights.

Continue to Innovate - you are a Bright People, figuratively, and literally. Never stop seeking new ways to advance yourselves and Your People, for to do so is pleasing in My Sight. Never think your Gifts and Talents are sufficient, for there is always something New to Discover!

My People, I have been so Proud to watch you grow. Keep my Faith, and know I shall always be with you.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ARBC, Whimsical Glimmer

To walk a mile in another's shoes is to gain empathy and understanding for how their experiences differ from yours. To walk a lifetime in another's body would surely bring great change in how they viewed each other. Perhaps peace can truly prosper.

+1 COAL

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BIFU, Goddess of Love and Friendship

BIFU saw WASI taking a clear lead in response to COAL, aiming to protect all People after all, in agreement with the plan she'd thought up. Her confidence returned. They could do this, even with just the two of them. Even if NATE wasn't going to cooperate...

She assisted WASI, adding her own power to weaken COAL's action and bend it how they wished. She didn't believe any god's will could be entirely erased... so instead of trying to stamp it out completely, she let the magic still touch each soul. But with her and WASI both fighting it, it should be merely a mild pull and temptation, instead of an irresistible force.

As the magic reached them, she spoke to all the affected People...

"People of the world, your first gods are fading to make way for the gods of the new age. There will be a great many changes coming, and this is but the first. As WASI said, a 'great mischief' is being done to try and scatter all souls into different bodies. WASI and I have weakened the magic, but you will still feel its pull on you. I want you to understand the choice before you, so you can make it with no regrets."

"If you succumb to the magic, you will be leaving your family, your friends, the world you know and even your own body behind. Your soul will awaken somewhere else, in an entirely unfamiliar body. You may not even know how to communicate. Your new neighbors may or may not welcome you. You should only accept this magic if you are prepared to give up everything you knew in life before. I implore you to stand firm and resist the magic... with our aid, you can stay with your loved ones to help welcome whatever new lost souls arrive among your People."

"I do believe much good could come from a select few of you serving as emissaries to the other People, by literally becoming one of their own... but only a few. My Esperegrines, I believe you more than any other are especially likely to have a few souls truly up to the task, able to see the bright side even in this much chaos. But do not accept this and throw away the lives you know just to foolishly prove yourself brave. If you have any doubts, stand firm and let only those who are most truly eager for this in their hearts accept the offer. Because I also hope to see your cultures persist, instead of being scattered around blindly. There is no point having emissaries to a People that no longer truly exists."

"Farewell everyone, once you've weathered this storm together, you can stand all the more united in friendship and understanding. Be patient with each other, in the new age to come."

Make it opt-in: 1d20 10

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Nate felt tired.

Went felt his time running out.

And together they felt the desperate attempts of a failing God to destroy everything they'd built.

They would get to that.

But there were things to attend to first.

Knowing how little time was left, knowing how crucial this final action was, they resolved, back into the being known at Ty.

Ty didn't what he was doing, nor did he quite know how he did it, but for an all too brief moment he was a man, the man he once was, stood next to Mace, his prophet.

"Hello Mace, I felt it best to say goodbye to you this way and to give you my final instructions before your pilgrimage."

Ignoring the shock on his prophet's face, he continued.

"You have done well to curb the people's fear of others and you are right that your mission is to observe and interact. But the purpose of this interaction and this understanding is the conquest that all the Divinante seek. It is to win the great game, the one of life."

Ty motioned for Mace to sit next to him, he wanted his prophet to understand that he and all divinante were the equals of any God.

"When I was as I am now, seeking to ascend to Godhood, I found myself on a battleground. There I made two great allies.

Wasi, the God of Change, who whilst weaker than me in combat was a gifted craftsperson and possessed incredible adaptability.

Bifu, the Goddess of Love, who was also weaker than me, but possessed great intelligence and knew much about the others on the field.

I could have beaten either through force of arms, but at cost to myself. So instead I sought to speak to them and form bonds of friendship.

We led many to their deaths through trickery, we defeated others with our coordination.

Together, we were able to combine our strengths into something so strong that no other force could defeat us.

Because we were different to each other, but common in purpose.

I became a God because, I chose the right people to trust and I chose the right people to betray. I won because I balanced loyalty and deceit.

All my lessons, everything I have taught the Divinante, has been in pursuit of showing you this truth.

The Divinante want conquest and they deserve it, but if they try to do so alone they will be defeated. You must first guide them to true allies such that when the time is right, you cannot be beaten.

There are beings in this world, beings of pure energy, called Kinetics. They are a smart people, but very different to you. They know many things that you do not and you know many things that they do not.

If you are smart and steadfast, if you are adaptable and understanding, they will make powerful allies for the Divinante."

For a moment, the form of the young man flickers, splitting into an older man with a greying beard and hair and a man whose face is covered in a mask.

"But my power wanes Mace. I will soon slumber and be able to touch your world no longer. In the time that comes, other gods will rise.

There will be a god called CODA, he you can trust absolutely, he was my greatest friend.

There will be a god called PRTH, he has helped me much in the time I have had with you.

See yourself safe my friend. You are the driver of your own destiny now."

Ty moved to hug his friend. He flickered, white hair, mask, blue hair. In a moment he faded back into the heavens.

There was still work to be done.

Mace moves to visit the Kineticks first.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 8, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

It attacked our children.

It is trying to destroy the game.

We must protect them

We must defeat it.

Our allies are working together to stop him

They are

We promised that we would only protect our people.

We lied

So we will help our allies then? As we did before?

Went laughed. Nate was too easy to manipulate.

We made another promise, one older than time itself.

Nate paused

We made a promise to him, we promised souls.

This is why we lied to the others, to let them play their hands thinking that we were to help.

Because our loyalty lies with our children and the first to ever ally with us.

And this is why we do this.

Finally in agreement, with one last push of effort, Nate and Went reformed into Ty.

Ty saw the souls of his Divinante about to be taken away and made a declaration for all Divinante to hear.

"My loyal children. In the next few moments the Dark God Coal will shuffle some of your minds into strange new bodies, but do not fear, for I have set a trap for him.

If this happens, do not tell anyone what has happened to you, instead learn their ways, their strengths and weaknesses and when Mace finally comes to you on his pilgrimage, tell him everything that you have learned as slyly as possible. The divinante will have spies in every other race for the rest of time. Go and succeed my children, go and be strong."

But as for his own action.

Ty grasped for any souls that would be transferred into Divinante bodies and instead, redirected them to become fuel for the new God CODA.

"Our bargain is complete old friend."

The Ultimate Shield: 1d20+1 8

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ZAPP, The Little Spark

Had COAL... Betray?

Had COAL... fail?

Have to stop.

WASI, BIFU. Try stop.

WASI already work hard. BIFU, less successful. Help her.

+1 BIFU.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CODA

:bisonyes:

:lsd:

Devour Souls: 1d4 1 - Aiding NATE, of course.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 8, 2018

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

LIKE, still loyal

loyalty means having faith in your friends.

+1 COAL.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

PRTH, Echo of old

It acts in our benefit!

It accepts our bargain.

It goes further than it had to.

It has learned much.

+2 WENT

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

IMPY, Vengeful Demon Ascendant

Dark Deals Done in the Deific Domain posted:

IMPY: CODA Looks like a deal is possible. You want that 2d4, I get half the bounty provided, and we enter the next era equally empowered. If we can't come to an arrangement, I will protect my own best interests.
CODA: Deal IMPY.
IMPY: Well bargained and done.

Betraying the others, NATE/WENT? Amusing in its own way. A bargain has been made, a pact sealed. Perhaps I'll even allow you to be remembered.

A late booking at NATE-WENT's all-you-can-eat soul buffet: 1d4 1

+1 NATE-WENT

Gather to me, poor unfortunate souls, victims of the last great betrayal of the first era. Join your energy with mine, and together we shall craft a better age for all.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The End of the Age was upon them, but there was yet time to do great things - and one of the Gods had something particularly great in mind, particularly world-shaking. In their divine wisdom, this God would balance all things and all people, and in so doing create a lasting peace.

Right?

On the first day before the event, WASI walked among the Kineticks, amused by their consternation with regards to the Trumpets but fretting himself about what was to come. First things first! He guided the Kineticks to have patience with their suddenly-opinionated flock, to protect and coddle them and to treat them well, if not precisely as equals. Additionally, he bade them to brace for something unusual, though he found he could not say what exactly. Time was strange, here, but effect still needed to follow cause. He would act when he needed to.

(Kineticks will keep the Trumpets as pets and companions and food sources. It's a… complicated relationship, but one that suits both parties well enough. If anything, the Kineticks are the ones who have a harder time with it!)

---
On the second day, NATE-WENT-TY, bearing his own secret purposes, went first to his Hero and revealed the deep mysteries of the origins of the Gods. Mace was overwhelmed and confused, the sheer implications of such far too complex for a yet-primitive mind… but he struggled to recall it just the same, resolving to pass it along among the learned in his clan over the generations. The Gods would not be forgotten, and neither would their lessons! Mace worshipped his God a moment longer, then completed his preparations: he would go with his comrades to the Kinetick, where they would learn much from one another. NATE-WENT-TY declined to say just how much they'd actually be learning.

(Mace will go first to the Kineticks before visiting the others. Among other things, this will forge a stronger relationship between these two Peoples than the others!)

---
On the third day, COAL revealed themselves before all the People of the land - whether Card, Coffee, Hope or Energy - and told them a wondrous thing: their souls, the very seat of their minds and memories, would be swapped. Some, particularly among the Esperegrine, were intrigued by the prospect of a new set of experiences… but most were terrified at the prospect! The God continued, describing the method as the only means of creating a lasting peace among People even as a formless wind plucked at something within them.

And then, all at once, BIFU and WASI arrayed themselves against the God of Peace, fracturing and channelling the Action into something more elective. Even so, no Godly Action could truly be prevented, and after Pozens of souls were shuffled before the great Pact came into effect. The People fled in terror as their world shook, as their very psyches writhed and resettled to allow for a strange new compulsion. The battle of the Gods may have been one of ideals, fought with words and counterproposals, but in this place they may as well have been spears of fire. The land shook and wept below.

(The People of the land are first compelled, then offered, to swap their souls out with a random People not their own. When in the right places, in the right frame of mind, a Person may swap out with the soul of a willing member of another People. After a period of adjustment, it is possible to lead a full life as another form of being. The effects this will have on the world in the future is yet unknown, but for the moment the People are horrified to have witnessed the event.)

---
Elsewhere, avoiding direct conflict, the God of Deceit, Loyalty and the Game twisted the Pact just so. He seized a clump of red diamond Cardstone and set it aside before hooking it up to the skein of souls and Materials that formed the framework of the land. Yes, Divinante had his blessing to go out and even Shuffle their souls up with the others… but not vice versa. See, he owed another something from before, and he was, after all a God of Loyalty. Sure, it had taken some Deceit to get here… but doing both?

That's how you won the Game.

(The Pact only works one way for the Divinante, and the souls of any People who attempt to become People of the Cards are captured in the chunk of red Cardstone on the south-western island. A certain future God was owed them, and means to collect them at their earliest convenience…)

---
The thing had been decided, but a conflict of the Gods wasn't so easily averted. The air itself tore as the world struggled to come to grips with the opposing Actions. The People hid, uncertain how to help or hinder or… anything.

It lasted for hours.

It was over in moments.

(Godly Combat is simple enough - if two Gods’ Actions are in direct opposition to one another, the final rolls are compared. Whoever posted second is considered the attacker (because the initiated the combat by virtue of trying to oppose a stated Action) and the other is the defender. If the attacker’s roll is higher, the defender takes 1 Damage (in addition to any Damage that might be incurred by a low roll). If the defender’s roll is higher, the attacker takes 2 Damage (in addition to any Damage that might be incurred by a low roll). This can be very deadly, very quickly, and must only be employed when the need is greatest. Regardless how this shakes out, it will damage the world in some way and frighten the People! Be careful!

Accordingly, COAL has dropped to 0 HP and gone Dormant. Being the end of the Age, ALL the Gods are going Dormant, but HP totals matter - see below!)

When things settled, the Gods were gone, their cooling essences still lighting the darkening sky. The People had (for the most part) been prepared for this, but to see things end so violently was shocking in the extreme. What would they do now? How could they live in a Godless Age?

---
(And that’s the first Age done! We’re going to do something a little different in a moment, but first of all I need to focus on Godly Remnants! Though the Gods be gone to their eternal slumber, their mere presence shaped the world and left behind articles of power to be used by (or against) the People. The power of these Remnants is related to how much HP the Gods had left when the Age ended. Briefly, they are classified as follows:
  • Trinkets - 0 HP Even a weakened God leaves something behind. A Trinket is a Person-scaled item like a magic sword or holy book that grants the wielder some infinitessimal fragment of the God’s power. In time, should they be preserved carefully, these can grow stronger, but they are the very weakest of Remnants.
  • Idol - 1 HP An Idol is an object or statue (or occasionally something more portable) that grants a minor effect in an area around where it is located. It can be destroyed by Godly will or concerted efforts from People, but otherwise will remain permanently.
  • Miracle - 2 HP A single use but extremely powerful Remnant that can have dramatic effects. A Hero can be ordered to use one, but in general the People will not touch them unless asked to. They cannot be destroyed by the People, but the Gods can attempt to destroy them with an Action.
  • Artifact - 3 HP A permanent and powerful thing that returns every Age after use by a Hero - these can be basically anything and have effects as powerful or more powerful than Miracles. They cannot be destroyed barring freak circumstances... or another Miracle or Artifact turned to that usage.
So what I need from you is three Words of Power describing what you want. A magical sword could be Sword, Cleaving, Hungry, for instance. If you have something particular in mind, give me the words as well as your request. Otherwise, just give me the words and I’ll whip something up.

And now for something completely different!)

---
As the Gods faded away, those who knew of the secret to the cycle of Gods were saddened but heartened by their eventual return, and the others were simply puzzled. There had been Gods as long as they could recall, as long as civilization itself. What would they do with themselves now, in this Godless Age until they returned?

Well, they would live on, because there was nothing else they could do.

---
(As in Fragile Gods, in between the Ages of Gods there will be little interludes focusing on the People themselves. Generations may pass between Gods, because time flows strangely here, and cut off from direct contact with the People the Gods can only witness things spin away below them. For now, we’ll focus on one Person, either a Hero raised by the Gods in the previous Age or a new one we generate here. This will run for two to four updates, and may either end up having a large impact on the world… or simply be a slice of life, a small adventure to showcase what it’s like on the ground here.

[Protagonist]
  • 1. Mace Open Minded, Beginner Oddity, Prophet, Kind
  • 2. Sparko Energetic, Curious, Speedy
  • 3. Happy Full of Wonder, Explorer, Artist
  • 4. Facet Suspicious, Competitive, Jealous
  • 5. Tasse Bitter, Introspective, Hate Playing A Whole Lot
  • 6. Custom! Pick A People, Pick Three Traits
[Quest]
  • A. Personal Quest
  • B. Monster Hunt
  • C. Slice of Life
  • D. Something Else?
Pick from the list above or make your own, and we’ll go with whoever has the most votes. Be aware of this - when we’re running this CYOA section, you (the players) aren’t playing as the Gods, who have no influence in this Godless Age. Instead, your choices are the Hero’s own thoughts about things. Once we’re done the intermission, we’ll jump right back into godding, don’t you fret!)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 11, 2018

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
A

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
1. Mace

B. Monster Hunt

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1A

Time for Mace to find the Philosphers Stone.

5C

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 11, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

1b

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

5C

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
5C

Bitter, introspective slice of life.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Captain Monkey posted:

1. Mace

B. Monster Hunt

Mace: Monster Hunter.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Captain Monkey posted:

1. Mace

B. Monster Hunt

This.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

AJ_Impy posted:

5C

Bitter, introspective slice of life.

I can get behind this!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like Mace

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 11, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
1 B

alternatively trumpet slice of life

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
5 C

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Kisser posted:

(And that’s the first Age done! We’re going to do something a little different in a moment, but first of all I need to focus on Godly Remnants! Though the Gods be gone to their eternal slumber, their mere presence shaped the world and left behind articles of power to be used by (or against) the People. The power of these Remnants is related to how much HP the Gods had left when the Age ended. Briefly, they are classified as follows:
  • Trinkets - 0 HP Even a weakened God leaves something behind. A Trinket is a Person-scaled item like a magic sword or holy book that grants the wielder some infinitessimal fragment of the God’s power. In time, should they be preserved carefully, these can grow stronger, but they are the very weakest of Remnants.
  • Idol - 1 HP An Idol is an object or statue (or occasionally something more portable) that grants a minor effect in an area around where it is located. It can be destroyed by Godly will or concerted efforts from People, but otherwise will remain permanently.
  • Miracle - 2 HP A single use but extremely powerful Remnant that can have dramatic effects. A Hero can be ordered to use one, but in general the People will not touch them unless asked to. They cannot be destroyed by the People, but the Gods can attempt to destroy them with an Action.
  • Artifact - 3 HP A permanent and powerful thing that returns every Age after use by a Hero - these can be basically anything and have effects as powerful or more powerful than Miracles. They cannot be destroyed barring freak circumstances... or another Miracle or Artifact turned to that usage.
So what I need from you is three Words of Power describing what you want. A magical sword could be Sword, Cleaving, Hungry, for instance. If you have something particular in mind, give me the words as well as your request. Otherwise, just give me the words and I’ll whip something up.

:justpost:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ok ok jeez

My three words of power are: Tree, Cherry, Blossoms

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Inspiration, Evolution, Power

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I am feeling… not wonderful. My brothers and sisters, my family, they are content to while away the endless days with play, uncurious about the things on the horizon. There is time for play, and play can be amusing, but is that… it? Is that what the God called to us for?

I sit on the cliffs and look out at the boundless Doppiocean of Coffee and wonder if there is, after all, a point to all of this. Is my personal Coffee really so different from that which I see frothing far below me? I tip myself forward and allow a precious drop to fall down, down, down… I do not see a splash. I do not feel any different. Why were we raised from this elemental stuff if we were to remain as mindless as the liquid crashing against the shores?

My concentration is sent spinning away when a ball hit me in the mug, splashing me and causing me to whirl in a fury. These blasted games! Would it kill them to think about the consequences for once? Would it kill them to think!? I held the offending ball aloft, daring anyone to claim it.

“Hey, little bean! Over here!” My brother, Demi. My trunks clicked together in irritation, scattering powdery ceramic over my lap. “Give it! Just because you’re too busy moping doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t have fun!” I couldn’t take it any longer! I pushed myself to my feet and whipped the ball at him as hard as I could!

It went wide, sailing far over his head and to the east. He whistled in mock appreciation, his Coffee bubbling, and his little gang ran off. That was exactly what I was talking about. In the old days, the Cappuccin had just been little creatures just scraping by, trying to survive. And then… the God had come. I wasn’t alive then, but the God’s voice had lifted us out of that mire and made us into something. Only then… something went wrong. The adults say we did something to disappoint them, and they are hiding their face from us. But that’s not right. We all saw what happened, felt the rumbles across the land. The God - our God - died. If Gods can die, what does that mean for us? What does that mean for our purpose? The elders can tell themselves it was a vision and a prophecy all they want, I know what I saw and what I feel: the God raised us, abandoned us, then died without telling us why.

Suddenly weary, I let myself drop backwards onto the Optimossm. Its fronds are cool and reassuring, and for a quiet moment I can convince myself things will be okay.

But it’s not that easy, is it? Matters of existence and mystery didn’t just resolve themselves because you wanted them to. I felt the need to act, a sudden nervous energy pushing me to get up and start pacing. What exactly did I want to learn? Who could I tell if I did? And how the hell would I learn it?

What Do I Want To Do?
  • 1A - I wanted to learn why the God abandoned us!
  • 1B - I wanted to learn why we were created!
  • 1C - I wanted to go out and explore the world, to get away from my village!
  • 1D - I wanted to try to make something new - it’s hard for me to do but I felt compelled!
  • 1E - I wanted to try to shake my friends and family out of this vapid fog that’s been keeping us dumb!
  • 1F - I wanted to try to get better at games!
Who Will Help Me?
  • 2A - My dumb brother, Demi!
  • 2B - His dumb friend Foam who has a crush on me!
  • 2C - That little bug that keeps following me around!
  • 2D - No one - that’s how I do everything else!
How Will I Do It?
  • 3A - With patient research!
  • 3B - With brash experimentation!
  • 3C - By seeking out help from the Gods!
  • 3D - I dunno, I’ll wing it I guess!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 13, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

boo tasse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

1B

2C

3B