Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
One moment you were stepping through the remains of a tree.
    victory at last
The next, you were gazing on forever.
    what prize is this?
There is nothing around you.
    not dark, just... nothing
Not the nothing of a dark room filled with things unseen.
    because then there is something there
Not the nothing of forgetting.
    because then there was something there
The nothing of utter absence.
    -
    -
    -
You hold your breath as long as you can, but all too soon you cannot maintain it.
    a frustrated, anguished gasp
You can breath. Or rather, you don’t need to, here. The others watch you and you watch them. You move towards them with the merest flicker of will and they flit away, trailing light that seems perverse in this nothingness.
    ..light?
If they can make light, you can make light.

If you can make light, what else can you make?

You stretch out your hand, and create.

(Welcome to Think Outside The Box, your reward for successfully pushing your way through the many, many challenges set forth in MMM Whatchya Say’s games. For this world - the final world (for real this time) - he has given you a blank canvas. If that sentence didn’t make sense to you, sadly this is not the game for you; this is a closed group. We’ll be running it similarly to my previous game Fragile Gods of Somewhere with a few tweaks to bring it in line with the past incarnations. If you’ve read it, bonus, you know what to expect. If you haven’t, don’t worry about it. It’s really, really easy to play. You have, by virtue of arriving in this place, become the God of a new land. Let’s get you introduced.

[Godly Incarnation]
First of all, I need the four letter Name you used last incarnation, along with a Specialty. God of Rain, God of Love, of Betrayal or Hunger or… whatever. This choice won’t lock you into anything or confer mechanical benefits, but will colour your interactions with the world. Next, take this 4x4 grid and draw me something, point to point, in a single colour. Don't worry about it being pretty, I'll take care of that.

This will be your Sigil, and will represent you in all earthly interactions with any potential beings you create, as well as your communications with the other Gods. Speaking of which, you may always speak to your fellow Gods here, in the Discord, but of course you can post OOC in thread here too.

[Rules of Play]
  • You are powerful, but you are inexpert with your new powers. Be careful not to waste them. Each God begins with 3 HP, and each turn you must roll a 1d20 to determine the magnitude of your Action.
  • On a dice roll equal to or below 10, lose 1 HP.
  • On a roll of 1, lose 2 HP and your Action backfires entirely, causing the opposite effect.
  • On a roll of 20, your Action is greatly magnified and you gain a +1 Bonus to Actions thereafter.
  • Should you run out of HP, you do not perish or lose, you simply go dormant. Each turn while dormant, you may choose to give +1 or -1 to an active God’s roll.
But before we can get to the game proper, the first turn needs something crucial: a world!

[The Earth Spins Below You]
You will create a world with the others, and populate it with such creatures and things as you’d never dared dream. Perhaps you will cherish them and care for them - or perhaps you will play with them as you’ve been played with. At any rate, choose 4 Materials to generate the starting parameters of the landmass you’ll be working with. Materials can be as concrete as Stone, Rabbits, Candy, or Fire or as abstract as Exhaustion, Disgust, Hope or Night. Choose four, and the top four from among all of you will be chosen to create your world. Off the record, this has worked even with some REALLY weird stuff in the past, so don’t be shy.

In addition, choose one feature you want to see. Islands? Mountains? Caves? Something simple and clean. Each of these features will be seen across your landmass.

Finally, a name. We don’t need to settle on a name just yet, but suggest them and among yourself come to an agreement.

[End Goal]
You’ve won. You have survived. And now, you are a God. Play in your playground until you fall dormant, then watch your creations live their little lives. You will be playing for four turns, four chances to make your mark on a new world. And after that?

Well, something might happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

[MATERIALS]

[GODS]

WASI, God of Change / NATE-WENT, God of Loyalty and Deceit / BIFU, Goddess of Love / COAL, God of Peace

IMPY, Harbinger of History / CODA, God of Magic / PRTH, The Hungering Void / LIKE, Scion of Tranquility

CARL, Icon of Indifference / ZAPP, King of the Sky / MEOW, God of Nice Cats / ABZU, God of Unleashed Potential

[REMNANTS]

[MAGIC]

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 14, 2019

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I am WASI, God of Change!

(And I will draw my sigil when not on mobile)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am now BIFU, goddess of Love and Friendship!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
In order to ensure the horrors of those worlds are never repeated I will take the mantle of COAL, god of peace.

The materials I desire are those of hope, cats, knowledge, and copper? As for features I desire spires natural rock formations or otherwise.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh right, materials and features!

One thing I do miss from the old world is that tree. So trees will by my chosen feature.

For materials, I second the suggestion of hope, and also suggest: music or gears

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am Nate, God of Loyalty.

I am Went, God of Deceit.

There will be caverns, measureless to man, an underworld.

For materials: I agree with hope for now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

whoops I forgot to have four materials

Hope, Music, Gears, Coffee

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
My materials: Hope, Energy, Tools, Thought.

My contribution to the landscape? Islands in the sky, each different from the last.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I’m in.

My feature is law.

My materials are CCKeane, winvirus, Varinn, and EccotheRaven.

merk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 23, 2018

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The four of you circled in the nothing, resolving to create something to relieve this infinity of emptiness. You considered eachother, your Sigils burning bright. You were:
WASI, God of Change
NATE-WENT, God of Loyalty and Deceit
BIFU, Goddess of Love
COAL, God of Peace

You were known to one another before, but whatever you were and however you felt about one another in another place and time, here you were equals. Each of you reach out and contribute something to this new place, generating the foundational Materials of your new world. They were:

Particles of the stuff exploded into existence from wherever you focused your will, spreading out to fill the vastness of the space you found yourselves in. With but a thought, you froze it in its tracks, reshaped it into a place. A land where you might be God. The work of eons, unfolding in an instant before your divine eyes. Strange new physics, shaped by your collective whims, coalescing into something new.

You spend a few eons marvelling at it, at the strange fractal permutations of your initial ideas and the life spreading across its surface. Time there passes in a flicker of light, but it is trivial to speed your perception - or else halt the passage of the hours altogether - enough to gain a sense of perspective for the lives that occupy its surface. You fall down through the clouds, invisible, intangible to their meagre senses until such time as you wish to reveal yourself. The clouds are dotted with a scattering of floating stones that vary vastly on size, from pebbles to veritable islands. The physics of such a thing boggled the mind, but then the world was created by a quartet of battle-weary godlings - if they wished a little whimsy, who would gainsay them? Light, airy creatures like birds flitted from stone to stone, seemingly for the sheer delight of it. These were the Esperegrine, Creatures of Hope.

The Gods lingered a while, enchanted. The creatures flew in packs, calling out to one another with joyous, nonsensical burbles. They danced and whirled in the air, pure unfiltered elation in mere act of existing. The Gods felt the Hope inside them, lighting them up and lifting them. A wonderful palate cleanser after what they'd been through. And yet there was more to see! They moved on.

(The Esperegrine are the Creatures of Hope. They are Kind and Joyous and Whimsical, and for the most part spend their days high above the land below hunting and playing. They are Curious and Gullible; will the Gods allow them their innocence? Or will they enlighten them into the true ways of the world?)

---
Far below, in the Cangrove swamp, the Battrees charged the surrounding Coffee with an exciting kick. The foamy liquid smelled simply heavenly, and soon enough inquisitive figures began to climb down to investigate. These vaguely simian fellows were the Cappuccin, the Creatures of Coffee.

Playfully, almost recklessly, they goaded each other towards the bubbling Coffee. Crawling through the Optimossm, the bravest - or most foolhardy - extended a delicate porcelain trunk into the liquid, drinking greedily as the others admired her. But, lo, a ripple in the Coffee alerted her just in time!

A hungry Caffiend launched itself free of the boiling liquid and snapped at her, razor sharp jaws clicking shut on nothing but air. Whooping, the Cappuccin scattered, laughing at the slow, dumb creature. Thwarted, the Caffiend submerged itself once more to wait for less alert prey.

(The Cappuccin are the Creatures of Coffee. They are Alert and Reckless and Mischievous. Would the Gods encourage their mayhem, or drive them to guide their pent up energy into something creative?)

---
Beyond the Cangrove swamps, a vast field of Switchgrass. As the divine wind of your passage played upon it, they flipped direction, a susurration of gentle clicks that roused the Creatures of Energy slumbering within. Tiny and furtive, the Kineticks moved in jerks and starts, a miniscule flash of light preceding each motion.

Each burst was a simple communication, a primitive language describing where food might be found. A half-rotten clump of Aspiraisins, possibly dropped from way up high, is the object of their frantic messaging. They cover it, one by one, and for a moment their hindquarters glow with a ferocious Energy as they devour it. And then, sated, they slipped away into the softly clicking grass.

(The Kineticks are the Creatures of Energy. They are Ravenous and Bright and Communicative. They are scavengers and parasites, draining the Energy from their hosts and growing larger and brighter. Perhaps they could also donate Energy to those in need - or perhaps they could use their mastery over it to bend their hosts to their will!)

---
Clambering in and out of the dark places beneath the earth, a lone Divinante explored the area for food to bring back to his King and Queen. This Creature of Cards was of low rank within his Suit, expendable and easily discarded in times of peril. He needed to prove himself if he ever wanted to advance in the hierarchy.

By sheer chance, he happened upon a distracted Hamsturbine, the tiny Energy being busily munching away on whatever scraps it could find. The Divinante didn’t hesitate for an instant, spearing it with its forelimbs and carrying it away before another Suit could catch him unawares.

(The Divinante are the Creatures of Cards. They are Hierarchical, Agressive, and Orderly. There are several Suits of Divinante, all of which vary slightly in appearance, and all of which hate eachother. As they grow, they increase in rank until they eventually become King or Queen, though many stagnate as Jacks. Will the Gods encourage their violent tendencies, or can they be shuffled together into a harmonious whole?)

---
Tired from their explorations, and yet brimming with creative energy, the Gods considered what they’d learned. This land was theirs to do with what they would, and they were itching to interact with it. With the merest pause for a divine breath, they launched into their first (second, really, if you counted creating the whole world) Godly Actions.

(Alright, time to start. As you may have noticed, there are no cultures anywhere yet - just a few animals, a few plants. They just lack divine inspiration! Here's a couple of hints to start you off:
  • Pick one Creature, focus your Action on them. The mere fact that you focus on them will uplift them to sentience and kick off their culture, regardless of the success of your roll.
  • You don't need to claim one of the Creatures each - you can absolutely all focus on one group, or leave one of them untouched. Those that aren't chosen will remain Creatures for the time being rather than becoming People, but they'll be fine!
  • Your Action each turn has to be focused on Creatures - you can't just create a storm, you need to storm SOMEONE.
  • Each God can pick whatever Creature they want - you don't have to split up. In past games, everyone just worked with one group, leaving the others to do whatever. The sides with Gods on them will have a distinct advantage, however!
  • You don't need to stick with the same Creatures each time! Next round you can totally help someone else, if you want.
  • Even if two Gods actions are in opposition, they both happen. The higher roll takes priority, but side-effects will spin off from the other roll. Everyone's decisions matter.
  • Keep in mind they're basically cavemen - if you tell them to build Power Armor now, they're just going to be like and try their best with hilarious outcomes.
As a reminder, each post list your Sigil, name and specialty, then just roll 1d20. That's it! Get creative!)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 7, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WASI, God of Change

None could say how long WASI spent idly observing the flora and fauna of this new world. An hour? Three days? An eon? It mattered not, little did anymore.

Each of the creatures were delightful in their own way, but his attention would be brought back to the Kineticks, ever consuming, ever growing - true paragons of change.

I, Wasi, shall bless you, helping you learn to tame the lesser creatures of this world with your energy that you may always have ready sustenance to feed and grow upon.

Action1: 1d20 8

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BIFU, Goddess of Love and Friendship

BIFU watched the Esperegrines with a bittersweet feeling. She couldn't help feeling an instinctive urge to protect them. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could be spared from pain and remain this innocent?

But as the creatures of hope, blind naivete hardly did their nature justice. Maybe she could teach them... how it was possible to still prepare for the worst while you hope for the best. How even greater purity and strength came from hope that was tested. How one could be well aware of all the evils in the world, yet still hold on to their optimism, their ideals, and their ability to care and trust, despite everything.

She remembered her days in the old world, when she was completely convinced she would never be one of the victors herself. But she'd hardly given up hope, and never faltered in pursuing her goals. Even when she'd had to willingly hurt others. She would teach them her ways. Instead of being their external protector, she would teach them how to defend themselves.

BIFU blessed the Esperegrines, wishing for their developing culture to gain mental resilience and fortitude.

http://orokos.com/roll/655027: 1d20 5

(She was already getting carried away as usual, recklessly pouring her power into the cause she was most excited about...)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

COAL, God of Peace

COAL fondly looked upon the caffeine soaked creatures that seemed to go wherever whimsy or thirst took them. The Cappuccin were worthy and beautiful creatures as any, COAL thought. The critters' manic energy could serve them well in the future, provided it was directed in a promising direction. First, they would need to learn to play nicely with others, and to play well. To teach the Cappuccin rules of law may be too much for them, but teaching them how to play games would be a more reasonable task. All games have a set of rules, much like life. All players can have fun, much like life. Maybe they can teach others of this land such things, and learn a thing or two about strategy.

Lighting the spark.: 1d20 12

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Nate God of Loyalty - Went God of Deceit

Nate looked down at their creation feeling some measure of pride in what he and his friends had made.

Went looked down on his creations seeking to gain more, seeking another advantage.

Together he looked at the creatures and saw potential, but it was the Divinante suits in which he saw the most:

Your organisation is to be lauded, my children. But your individualism will break you. You must allow for yourselves to rise and fall as groups and teams, for if those who lead do not know of friendship, they will fall to those that do.

"Your hierarchy is wonderful my children. But those who rise do not fall, they merely stay, stagnant. You must allow for those of the highest suit to fall from grace, for those who do not perceive the shadows, those who do not understand treachery do not deserve to lead"

Your suits give you strength, they give you family.

Your desire to succeed, to exceed one another gives you wisdom

In Cards, suits seek to defeat one another, their value changes from game to game and with the flop of the deck or a nod of a head. No deck of cards can have purpose without this competition.

But a deck of cards without any one suit is useless and will be discarded.

So compete with each other.

But do not destroy each other. Allow the others to recover after a victory.

For the foe best deceived is one that is as strong and smart as you.

For the greatest allies made are ones forged through bonds of strength and respect.

You will do well, my children.

Shuffling some Cards: 1d20 20

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Gods looked upon their creations and knew what must be done. The world was good, but it could be made better if only they could make a few adjustments. The Creatures would soon be People, able to think and feel and… worship? Oh, that would be interesting, wouldn’t it?

The Esperegrine beheld BIFU in her simplest guise and were frightened for the first time in their history. This thing was something new, something wholly alien to them. They scattered… and yet they did not flee entirely. This new thing was something else to experience, a new source of excitement and sensation. They drew closer to the God, flying in a loose orbit as she spoke to them.

Their minds expanded, perceiving a logic behind her words they hadn't known they'd been lacking. Over time as she spoke to them, they began to answer, to ask for clarification. They had become the People of Hope, no longer mere Creatures. The God spent long hours talking to them, even as she felt her strength leaving her in a steady stream like falling leaves. Her Action had been inexpert, had taken more of herself than she'd expected, but she was happy.

One day, one of her People called out to her in prayer. “O Goddess of the skies and mother of us all, I beseech your aid.” The Person's voice was high and reedy, unaccountably cute despite its fervent plea. “Your message has reached your chosen few, but many of the Esperegrine remain… naive. They refuse your blessing, clinging to the ancient, animal ways. They can't even talk… do we leave them behind, my Goddess? Do we renew our efforts to educate them? Or do we… cast them out? My Goddess, I seek only peace for my people, what must I do to ensure it?”

(BIFU loses 1 HP! The Esperegrine are uplifted into the People of Hope! A good portion of them develop Strong Wills… but due to the weak roll, the uplift was incomplete. Many Esperegrine remain nothing more than animals, and it's making the People uncomfortable. As a general rule, you may answer an underlined question as a free action in addition to your Godly Action. Your people take (and mis-take) your words seriously, and will act upon them!)

---
WASI watched the spritely forms of the Kineticks leaping through the Switchgrass and enjoyed them merrily. He would give them a boon. He reached out for them and they flashed out a message of terror, wasting precious energy. He calmed them with a rain of fragrant plasma and they hearkened to his words. Already Communicative, they readily understood the nature of his communication and replicated it, and were soon cheerfully chatting in a mixture of sound and light.

Now for the real lesson. The newly raised People of Energy were led to a clearing where a wild Trumpet was grazing. The Cardbeast was unaware of them, for the moment. The God guided them to infuse a small Coffee plant with precious Energy, a maneuver that left them dangerously depleted. But then the Trumpet clomped over, its spade-like hooves clicking against the stone, and began to munch on the energized fruit. They repeated this exercise a few times, gathering several of the creatures, and only when they were well-sated and docile did the Kineticks move to feed.

This process soon grew widespread, and the Kineticks praised WASI for his wisdom; Energy drained in this manner was all the sweeter, and sweeter still for being so easy to attain. Soon several particularly clever Kineticks were allocating a portion of their daily Energy reserves to boosting the potential Energy of a variety of plants to entice a wider variety of creatures for the good of the group.

One day, while it fed, a particularly fat Kinetick called out to its God. “Oh God of satiation, God of hungers past, I have fed well in my life, and yet I wish more. I long to drain every last drop off this creature's Energy, taking it all into myself. May we Kineticks drain our domesticated creatures dry? There are so many we should never run out - and after all, they are lesser creatures.”

(WASI loses 1 HP! The Kineticks are uplifted into the People of Energy! They improve their Communication and gain the ability to Domesticate creatures for future consumption, freeing up the time they spent hunting for other pursuits!)

---
COAL watched the Cappuccin for a long while, grappling with how to channel their restless motion towards peaceful ends. At last, they clapped their Godly hands and revealed themselves to the Creatures. After a predictable period of fear, their great curiosity percolated through their terror and they gathered around this strange new light. The God spoke to them, proposing they play a game. The Cappuccin ran away to play immediately, devolving into chaotic laughter, but the God called them back. Ah, this game had rules, and following them meant you were better at it. This was a new thing! Generally Cappuccins just ran around and yelled until they fell asleep, but this game thing was sort of neat!

The game was non-violent, but still fiercely competitive - their Reckless nature wouldn't have it any other way. And yet COAL kept them grounded, kept the teams mixing and changing so that none would be able to use the game to claim dominion over any other. And, to their credit, the Cappuccin understood. They learned the rules, and although they were clever and tricky enough to cheat did not do so in respect of their God. And in playing fair, the began to understand the underlying lessons of rules and structure. Play was a metaphor for life, for right conduct, for fairness and understanding between Cappuccin. Though they remained as Reckless and chaotic as before, their chaos began to look more regimented - there was time for play and time for contemplation. Balance in all things, and all that!

One Cappuccin, exhausted from her play, lay on her back panting with laughter. She contemplated the clouds and the floating stones far above and wondered. “Dearest God, who raised us from beasts and showed us the joy of play, what do you wish from us? Are we just a game, too?” Immediately she became ashamed and hid her face, her Coffee bubbling with the shame of it. Out of the mouths of babes…

(The Cappuccin are uplifted into the People of Coffee. Their Reckless nature is tempered by the introduction of Fair Play, giving them a sort of foundational structure for how they deal with the world; they are curious and playful, but they will approach novel situations with some analysis in an attempt to figure out the ‘rules’. A successful roll by COAL means that this is a species-wide change in perspective, too.)

---
NATE-WENT observed the Divinante with his (their) tumultuous mind(s), watched their little squabbles and wars (if they could be called wars, primitive as they were). They (he) revealed himself to them, one Suit at a time. They witnessed him and were enlightened, their simple hierarchy sent into disarray by the arrival of something ABOVE a King and Queen. He waited until they calmed themselves and granted them his wisdom. He spoke to them in Red and Black, voices shifting as he pushed and pulled them into what he desired. And as he (they) spoke, he knew he was RIGHT and GOOD!

Where before the Suits would stay segregated among their own kind, now - begrudgingly - they made alliances. And when these alliances allowed them success over those without, further alliances were made. The God watched them rise and fall, shuffling themselves together and becoming something entirely different. Within weeks or months or years (time was a slippery thing, here) the Divinante were a shrewd and clever People, fiercely loyal to their Hand (a social group that often came before Suits, mixing individuals from many) and to their causes. While generally Spades and Clubs kept close company - and Hearts and Diamonds, too - the utter success of the God’s Action meant that no Suit was truly excluded from a Hand provided they proved themselves worthy.

The Faces, the ruling body of the their still-simple society, still claimed the final say over the others - better food, more privileges, ultimate power over the life and death of those who betrayed their Hand - but no longer were they as simple as Kings and Queens. A Hand may now be led by any combination of Jacks, Kings, or Queens, in rare cases even those of different Suits. Their society was not an egalitarian one, but opportunities were certainly greater for growth now than they were prior!

One Divinante, resting from his labours, considered the mixed Hand of Spades and Clubs going about their appointed tasks. He had no name - as indeed none of them did - for he was simply a Four of Clubs among many. “Oh Gods, who granted me this mind to question as I do, hear me now. I am but a minor Club, faceless in the mass of Clubs, and yet I and my brethren look different from the Spades, and more different still from the Red Suits. Why did the Gods divide us so? Which Suit is best? Which among us should reign as King or Queen above all? And if none, why divide us at all?” Not expecting an answer from one (two) so great as NATE-WENT, he went about his duties.

(NATE-WENT gains +1 to future rolls and an additional Specialty! Because having two isn’t already enough! The Divinante are uplifted into the People of Cards! NATE-WENT’s critical success means his Action goes off without a hitch, additionally making them a little smarter than expected. The Suits have generally been folded into Hands, a mixture of many or all Suits with the combined skills of each. They have become Adaptable and Meritocratic, with their Hierarchy weakening accordingly.)

The Gods watched the People change under their touch, and it was good. But there was still much to do!

(The map will also change in response to the Actions of the Gods. This was a quiet turn with minimal impact on the playing field, but with time it will grow more obvious what the consequences of your Actions and the People’s actions are!)

A strange buzzing made itself known, unheard by the People but slightly irritating to the Gods. What was that?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 31, 2018

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Gods became aware of a few annoying presences, other wills that were familiar to them. Some were friendly, others… less so. Wonderful. They too had made the leap to this no-place, and eagerly awaited their turn. And yet the four Gods held them back easily, without even really trying. This place they had made could accept only so much at once lest it dissolve back into the nothing it was. And so the Gods maintained primacy, and the Whispers… could do nothing but whisper.

---
(Yep, the rest of the crew gets to come in too! But they didn’t win, so they need to wait their turns. While they wait, they take the form of Whispers.
  • Whispers create their own minor Sigil using this.

Not much of a Sigil, but then you’re not much of a God, right this moment. Soon enough!
  • Whispers cannot speak or interact with the denizens of this place, but may speak to the Gods (who are of course free to ignore them)
  • Whispers may each, per turn, vote +1 or -1 to the roll of any God. They cannot push them to trigger critical successes or failures by doing so, but the higher or lower the roll the more or less of an effect. They may also abstain.
  • When all turns are done or all Gods are dead, the Whispers will have a chance to take their place. More on that later.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dog Kisser posted:

One day, one of her People called out to her in prayer. “O Goddess of the skies and mother of us all, I beseech your aid.” The Person's voice was high and reedy, unaccountably cute despite its fervent plea. “Your message has reached your chosen few, but many of the Esperegrine remain… naive. They refuse your blessing, clinging to the ancient, animal ways. They can't even talk… do we leave them behind, my Goddess? Do we renew our efforts to educate them? Or do we… cast them out? My Goddess, I seek only peace for my people, what must I do to ensure it?”

(BIFU loses 1 HP! The Esperegrine are uplifted into the People of Hope! A good portion of them develop Strong Wills… but due to the weak roll, the uplift was incomplete. Many Esperegrine remain nothing more than animals, and it's making the People uncomfortable. As a general rule, you may answer an underlined question as a free action in addition to your Godly Action. Your people take (and mis-take) your words seriously, and will act upon them!)

As the Esperegrines developed into a People, BIFU was always delighted to start receiving prayers. This one stood out as especially thoughtful, and so she answered more thoroughly than usual.

"It's natural for you to hope to see your cousins uplifted. If it pains you to see them this way, you should continue to try, and educate those you can."

"But if you seek peace for your people, one of the most peaceful things you can do is acknowledge that not everyone will have the same ways as you. There was natural variation in your species, so some will remain more suited to a simple, innocent life. Teach those who are willing to listen, but don't force yourselves to convert every single one. That is not something I would demand of you. Even though you hope for the best, you can only do what is in your power. Keep doing what you can, be satisfied that you are doing all you can, and be prepared to accept the results."

"Over time the distance between you will grow wider, and this should make things less awkward and uncanny. It may still hurt to see such innocent creatures and fear for their safety. But in one way or another, this is simply a fact of life that never goes away. It's exactly why I wanted to teach you. This will be the first great test of your new strength."

(tl;dr, this pretty much boils down to the "leave them behind" option... if some Esperegrines take a special interest in it, they should still hope and try to educate the others and all, and maybe some more of their "animal" brethren will develop along the way. But surely not all of them will develop, so that division will still occur. It's ok for them to accept this!

I'll save my official godly action for a separate post)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
For the briefest moment, Nate and Went coalesced forming on single entity.

Ty - God of the Game.

Looking down at his child questioning his design, Ty smiled in pleasure.

What intelligent creatures I have created

"Little one, you do not have a name. You must give yourself one that pleases you for I wish to remember each and every one of you.

As for your question, you should be proud for it is very smart.

Every suit is equal to the others, but all the suits are different.

As to why. You already know the answer little one.

A hand is more powerful because of all the cards within it working together. Your hand would fall without its 4s, it would fall without its Jacks, it would fall without its 2s.

This is because each card, each individual card, is slightly different to the others. You are unique among 4s, similar to the others, but not the same. Your experience is different, your life is different and this means that your perspective is different. No toss of the dice in the past and no toss of the dice in the future will ever replicate you.

And so when you work as part of your hand you provide a unique view, one that is to be understood and listened to, because by examining lots of views, we improve the odds of finding the best view for the hand. When you apply your unique skills gained through your unique experience, the hand benefits.

And so the same is true not just of the hand, but of all the Divinante.

To me, you are one great hand.

Your different suits, though equal, grant you different experience, different lives. This means that when the Divinante come together, they have many views to understand and many skills to draw upon, making them truly strong. This means that when the Divinante fight one another, they must learn and adapt quickly, because their enemies do not think the way that they do. This means that when the Divinante seek others to work with, they are better able to understand their opinions. This means that when the Divinante seek to trick others, they have many different strategies to apply.

You were divided because it makes you better. It makes you the best that you can be.

And you will need that for the future."

And with that he was gone.

Nate was surprised at the, purpose, he had felt.

Went was stunned at the unity he had been a part of.

"Go forth my child, work with your friends and grow," Nate implored.

"Go my child and gain whatever edge, whatever advantage you can." Went suggested.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

First a response to my petitioner.

COAL smiled and several grand bells seemed to chime in the distance for that Cappuccin. Of course, there was no need for embarrassment when thinking about something as fundamental as their existence.

‘Oh sweet, young Cappuccin.
Your observation and cleverness pleases me greatly. I am proud.
I was once a player in a game too, I like to think I still am. I am COAL, God of Peace.
I’d like you all to come to understand this world better and manipulate it for everyone’s benefit.
Please talk to other Cappuccin, and the other intelligent beings awakening throughout your world.

Becoming able to cooperate with others effectively is the trial.
Being able to trust is brave and rewarding.
Happiness will follow when you’re able to play, learn, and share with others.
Of course, not everyone sees this world as I do.
Be wary of those who break your trust frequently.’

A final bell tolled and COAL’s communication with the mortal came to an end.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WASI, God of Change

My child, I have given you the powers of domestication that you may be steward over the lesser creatures of this world. Nothing is limitless, all can be exhausted - do not overfeed on the bounty of this land, but tend it well, let it flourish and grow, and in doing so drink deeply. Drink deeply, and prosper!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BIFU looked across the world and its developing people. She was impressed with all of them, and hoped they could coexist in peace. But she kept dwelling on that one prayer of the Esperegrine, and worried that they were more burdened with troubles than the others. What could she do to help them? Would she only make matters worse if she tried to interfere with such a delicate matter?

Maybe interacting with the new and different people would help distract them instead. It was something they'd have to tackle anyway. But wouldn't communicating with completely different species be even harder? What if they used a simpler, more visual form of communication...

That gave her an idea. BIFU set to work to teach the Esperegrines a new lesson.

Artwork was an immortal way of expressing powerful emotions like love, or anything else the Esperegrines wanted to try and communicate to others. Their inspiring hopes, or their anxious fears... whatever complicated feelings they had towards their brethren, perhaps giving it form through art could bring them some solace. And maybe, if they were lucky, this different lesson could even help bring more of the "innocent ones" into the fold?

Art lesson: 1d20 10

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

WASI, God of Change

WASI looked down from on high at his creation and knew ye, it was good. But could it be better? Of course! Is not the eternal quest for improvement inseparable from Change itself? In a halo of pure energy, he revealed himself to his flock once more.

My people, you have learned well, taming the creatures of this land and growing powerful indeed. I have noticed how you have taken to communicating via light and sound, and how you have used those skills to coordinate your efforts into a greater force than any individual could hope to put forth. But what if you needed to communicate with someone who was unable to see you or hear you? What if I told you there was forms of energy invisible to the eye, inaudible to the ear, except for when they are bent to the will of those who know how to make use of them? Behold!

With that, he adapted the Kineticks to be able to make use of the invisible energy of the world (specifically radio waves), and continued his speech directly to their heads.

My people, use this new power wisely - to communicate danger, to communicate ideas, to communicate! Let the entire world be one blanket of communication, the free flow of information travelling instantly from the furthest reaches of the map. Go now, and prosper!

Action2: 1d20 19

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nate God of Loyalty - Went God of Deceit

Nate looked down upon his children, thrilled with their progress.

Went looked down upon his children, cautious of where they had yet to go.

Between them an idea began to coalesce. In their world cards were more than just an item for games. They were magical, used to delight and stun all those around. In this world, could it be better? Could it be more powerful?

My children, you have done well. Your society is stronger, your thoughts are less rigid.

My children, you have done well, but you must be cautious. Your society is is still weak, there are others who are like you and you must be ready.

In the world of the gods, there exists magic. It is a force that is used to unify and bind people together.

In the world of the gods, there exists magic. It is a force of trickery that may confound even the smartest mind.

I will impart this knowledge to you so that you may use it to adapt the world around you.

I will impart this knowledge to you so that you may tease out more of your world's secrets.

There are rocks in the sky above you, use your magic to make them into your tools and homes.

There are deep caverns in the world below you, use your magic to make an underworld of your own.

Nate and Went drew deeply, perhaps too deeply on their power to grant the Divinante the magic to shape their surroundings.

Teaching Magic: 1d20 2

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

COAL, God of Peace

Rub a dub dub this coffee stuff looks like a good drug. I want to impart upon the Cappuccin the wisdom of alchemy (chemistry?), and if that's too big or I fail specifically I'd like to help them create medicine out of coffee. I'd like to grant them the inspiration and tools to start building, playing, and experimenting with the elements of the land.

Wonderful people of coffee, with this your prospects should open up. Each day shall be a fresh pot full of the knowledge you derive from simple science.

Um, did it really feel like this last time when I concentrated on the mortals? Oh well, it'll probably be okay.

Fwoosh artificially enduced wisdom.: 1d20 1

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BONE
(nascent deity)

Darkness
Death
Rebirth
Confusion
Danger
ESCAPE!

A new thing was born into this world, hovering silently behind the scenes, watching and waiting, weighing and considering.

BONE, as yet undefined, hovers quietly at the left hand of NATE, soft whispers urging the powerful god onward. And, as Nate enacts his will, the tiniest surge of power leaves Bone, an added bit of effort to help power the effect of NATE's will.

(+1 to NATE)

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

YMHO, Whisper

Only flashes of memory.

A vague vision of a tree.

The sensation of pain.

A resolution of ... spite?

Almost formless, another whisper floats behind another God - but to be a hindrance, not a help...

-1: COAL

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

PRTH, Echo of old

It knows!

It doesn't know.

Why would it then?

It can't know.

What if it discovers?

It won't discover.

(+1 to NATE)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

IMPY, Vengeful Demon

Hello again, Godlings.

-1 BIFU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm so honored the big bad IMPY feels I had the biggest hand in his downfall, that he chose me to first be vengeful towards :3:

I mean I probably did, but I didn't wanna go and take all the credit here

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

WASI did too well for suffering to easily be caused, NATE too poorly for it to harm them worse. Your mediocrity made you the ideal target.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 31, 2018

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I will try and push the dice button in a more exciting way next time :ohdear:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ARBC, Whimsical Glimmer

A small being with even smaller power bursts forth into the world, it knows not the structure of this world but it senses kindred spirits. The Esperegrine toil not for more, but in appreciation for the world that brings them so much hope and joy. A god is among them but ARBC breezes past uninterested, only to flutter to and from the innocent beings as they struggle to create. They may not feel his presence, but perhaps he can provide a glimmer of inspiration

+1 BIFU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

LIKE, whisper of companionship

of course

+1 Coal

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Gods grappled with the questions of their creations, pleased that they should be so thoughtful as to ask these questions and concerned that they would somehow misinterpret their responses. The People were alive and hungry for knowledge, and where they could not find truth they would take whatever fit into their preconceptions. In time, they would learn. The Gods watched.

BIFU
The Esperegrines listened when BIFU warned them that they couldn’t save all their cousins, and felt something like the stirrings of despair… but they were creatures of Hope, and resilient of mind besides due to BIFU’s earlier guidance. They took a breath, found their inner peace, and went on with their days. Not everyone could be saved, and it wasn’t their responsibility to force their cousins into the light of truth. And if one day the gulf between them should widen even further? That, too, was okay. Everyone had their own path in this life, and they trusted that the whatever route they took would be for the best.

Such sorrow didn’t vanish overnight, however, and caused no end of turmoil. So BIFU stretched out her wise hand and granted them a boon: art. These feelings, held in so long, could finally be released. The floating boulders of their home were soft, carvable Cardstone, and with a bit of scraping and shaping and patience, the Esperegrines could leave messages and figures. This awareness filled them with a great and abiding joy, and they spread it wherever they could.

BIFU watched them, feeling a gnawing feeling in whatever passed for her belly now. The Whispers had intervened, pushing and pulling her will in this matter and effectively cancelling themselves out. The distraction had cost her again, and she felt herself growing tired. And yet, watching her children flitting around her and finding a joy that she’d feared had been lost forever, she couldn’t be too upset with how things had turned out.

They weren’t terribly good at this whole art thing, but they were enthusiastic, and it made them happy. It would be enough.

(BIFU loses 1 HP! The Esperegrine become Artistic, and decide to leave the dimmer members of their clan behind. To be clear, they aren’t discriminating against the dumber People, there’s just a clear distinction between those that are People and those that are Creatures. Over time, the gap will widen until they’re separate groups - but Art has a chance of enlightening at least a few of them, slowing the loss.)

---
NATE, or WENT, or TY listened to the lone Divinante speak, then replied with a wisdom that shook the tiny being to its core. The being went and told the others that the God had told him that divisions between Divinante were false and short-sighted - to the God, all Suits were one. All Hands one Hand! All this vicious infighting was holding them back from their true purpose, and weakened them in the face of their enemies.

What enemies? The others, of course - the God had said all Divinante were equal, and though rivalry and competition may exist within the great Hand, never true emnity. Therefore, the enemies must be without, and the Divinante must stand on guard against them! The Kings and Queens and Jacks thought this lowly Club terribly wise, and elevated him to a Jack himself! The God(s) listened and winced slightly - this may not have been entirely what they had meant, but the damage had been done.

TY (or WENT, or NATE) bent down over them and held a secret like a burning flame between his Godly fingers. He flipped it away like a coin, hoping to infuse his People with a fragment of the magic of Cards. A great spasm seized him(s), their energy spilling out in a flash of violet light even as the Whispers attempted to steady it. The Magic went awry, spilling chaos like rain over the area. Only one Person caught a tiny splinter of it, a bead of the thing driving into his very being.

By chance, that Jack of Clubs who’d first prayed to him. WENT (or NATE, or TY) crouched down and examined him. The Jack had the Magic in him now, and he was confused and afraid. The God(s) sighed and guided him in its use. It would have to do.

(NATE-WENT loses 1 HP! The God(s)’ words have made the Divinante more Competitive than Aggressive… and also given them a liiiittle bit of Xenophobia. The Four of Clubs, raised to a Jack, now changes again, becoming the Ace of Clubs, the first Hero! Heroes gain massive longevity - they will remain even after you fall dormant - and strength compared to their compatriots. They also tend to gain specific skills. Ace, for instance, has a Beginner level skill in Odds, the Card Magic of Chance. Magic in this world tends to reflect one of the essences of the Materials that compose the world. Odds allows Ace to subtly control probability, though at his level it is very, very weak. He is currently the only one to have this power due to the failure of the Action, but in time he may be able to teach it to others or improve in strength!)

---
COAL smiled down on the innocent creature who wished only to know what her place in the world. The God explained that she - and the rest of the Cappuccin - ought to learn and manipulate the world, to explore and discover their place on their own. There was no purpose to them besides to live and to find excitement in their world. The Cappuccin was very interested to hear that there were other intelligent creatures besides her fellows in this world, and COAL was mildly surprised to realize they didn’t know. But why would they? They were only just aware of themselves, these alien creatures were so different that they could hardly be expected to be the same. And yet, they were. COAL said to seek them out, but to use their judgement - not all could be trusted. The petitioner bowed before their wisdom and fled.

The God swirled around them like a great cloud, eager to offer their chosen People additional knowledge. Exploration and manipulation of the world, COAL had told them. The basic tenets of science, a foundational framework for exploration. The God of Peace stretched out their hand…

...and felt things twist. A Whisper pulled, another pushed, but it wasn’t enough to change things. The words spilled out wrong, lies twisted into truth and fiction into fact. The Cappuccin shivered in confusion, the ceramic of the cupskulls vibrating as they attempted to interpret the God’s power. And just like that, it was over, and they played as if nothing had happened. COAL investigated them closely and saw what had been wrought. The Cappuccin, far from having grown in wisdom, had regressed. They still wished to explore and play with novel creatures and concepts, but just to play. They lacked the ability to make connections, to use knowledge gained from one endeavour and apply it to another. Though they learned with a hungry curiousity, they retained little of value. Frustrated, the God of Peace whirled away before they grew wroth with their creations and themselves.

(COAL critically fails and loses 2 HP! The Cappuccin become Vapid, which doesn’t at all mean that they will fail as a culture and a People but DOES mean they’ll be resistant to new ideas and techniques. This doesn’t invalidate previous advances in learning about rules and structure, but does mean that they’ll reframe new concepts into being about play rather than any deeper analysis!)

---
WASI scolded the fat Kinetick lightly, warning him not to drain creatures dry - the Kineticks were to be stewards, not slavers. The creature grew chastened, calling out an apology, but the God waved it away. The People of Energy should not fear their God, but should consider that all things had an end, and that nothing was inexhaustible. To the People of Energy, the idea of limitations on potential was a difficult thing to swallow, indeed. If they kept draining and draining until everything was gone, what would happen to them? They grew fearful.

WASI frowned, then brightened. Fear of the unknown was in truth a fear of lack of information, and as such could be remedied by the addition of information. He would give them a means of gaining such. He seized one gently and reached into it, shifting and shaping it into something better. He squeezed it, and the ineffable bindings between the People passed the modifications along, shifting each and every Kinetick into a new form.

As the People marvelled and blinked excitedly, he explained to them that with this, the Kineticks would be able to communicate with eachother across vast distances. They experimented. It was tricky - some were better at sending than others, others better at receiving - but they managed to get in touch with tribes across the land, some they didn’t even know existed! They all gave thanks and praise to their God, and lights of excitement shone all through the night.

(The Kineticks gain Long-Distance Communication. This isn’t Magic, it’s an innate skill that only they can access - it cannot, for instance, be taught to another People. Given that they’re basically still caveman level primitives, this is a huge technological advantage. It remains to be seen how they use it.)

The Gods had all felt the lash of over-exertion, but the world was better for their efforts. They could not, however, help but be concerned by the Whispers hanging around the periphery of their perceptions. What did they want? What were they expecting? What were their intentions for this world of theirs?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BIFU felt her strength leaving her, and worried that her time was running out to still influence this world. She was pleased with the Esperegrine's progress, they would surely do fine without her. But if she went silent with no explanation, that was bound to cause problems. The main thing she wanted now was to make sure they understood what was happening.

BIFU planned for this to be her final lesson. More of a storytime, really. Then if it didn't sap all her remaining strength, she could leave them more to their own devices after a proper goodbye.

She told them about the nature of the gods. How there were others besides her, starting with her three friends who had helped her form this new world:

Peaceful COAL, who had to be coaxed into competing with any of the others, was naturally drawn to the playful Cappuccin.

Industrious WASI, who saw the already communicative Kineticks and believed they had the greatest capacity to create change.

And then, uh.... the other one. Fiercely loyal when he wished to be, but always enjoying the chance for a crafty deception. His people, the Divinantes, were highly competitive and may need to be treated with caution. But if one could genuinely earn their trust, that would be an incredible gain...

The four Peoples looked so different, but they were all guided by gods who had worked closely together in a time of great conflict. She hoped that as the four gods faded from the world, that connection would remain, and their children could become friends.

That time was coming soon. Despite their power, the gods were just as flawed and impermanent as any of the "lesser" creatures. And when they fell dormant, there would be new beings coming forward to take their place. Some may wish to help as she had, or simply make their own new mark on the world. But others may be bitter and wish to spoil their creations. BIFU warned them not to make enemies of any god, but not to blindly trust or follow any god either. Then she bid them farewell.

Creation story time: 1d20 18

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

COAL, God of Peace

Whew, that last one took a lot out of me. Poor Cappicine, they were like super cute and fun but I guess divine intervention is a fickle thing! What's a good way to come back from that set back? The Cappicine seem to have thick mugs, and it's going to be hard to pour in concepts like socialism and peace into them in such a short time-frame. Hey I know! How about selling out? How about this one off creature mentioned in passing early on (and domesticated by the Kineticks)?

Cue grand old bells around the herds of Trumpets.

Trumpets! I see you feeding, and being fed upon. You're very the nearly the definition of a symbiotic relationship. You take and give back. You're peaceful and content. Why not be intelligent too? You deserve it. Other species might have bipedal locomotion, they might have wings and glow and stuff, they might have preexisting social relations that lend themselves towards developing cultures, but you've got some endearing qualities too! I've seen you chew that low growing vegetation up, convert it to energy. That's a pretty nifty maneuver there. Vegetarianism lends itself towards not conflicting with others, I guess?

Okay so here's the deal, so far you've had a difficult hand. You're kind of a domesticated species. I'm going to give you sentience and try and guide you to develop symbiotic relationships with many beings. If you work together with them well... then you might just have a chance getting a little more out of life then just chewing up grass. All I ask is that you remember the God of Peace reached out to you my sweet little card-cattle.

Cue grand old bells dying out.

Fwoosh, do I die? Can I find something eternal?: 1d20 9

As power leaves COAL's metaphorical hands a wave of dizziness overcomes them and they nearly nod off.

I-Is anyone else getting really tired here?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I messed this up, please ignore

50 pounds of bread fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 8, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

ARBC, Whimsical Glimmer

Satisfied with the Esperegrines's artistic progress ARBC observes the other creatures of this world. A lone god interacts with the simplest of creatures, they graze under the watchful eye of kinetics only to be absorbed by their masters. Is this what they want from life, to be like a tree bearing fruit for it's farmers? Docile and innocent, this whisper can't help but feel for these creatures. Perhaps they would want more, if given the chance. The whisper flutters among them, unheard and unseen, but with the god's energy flowing through them, perhaps they'll feel a twinge of his empathy.

+1 COAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

LIKE, loyal companion

+1 COAL