Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Frank finds his fingers working perfectly as they clear his rifle's chamber and line up the next shot. The gun's sights line up perfectly with the leerhund's ugly head and he squeezes.

As before, the round impacts dead centre of the creature's face. Unlike before, the 'hund's head is torn apart by the force of the bullet, spraying viscera across the tunnel behind the beast. Well and truly dead, it slumps to the floor before it can sink its claws into the wounded Vale.

Temple spends a Fate Point to sieze the initiative and deals enough damage in one hit to score a 10+ on the crit chart. Combat over!

You now have ample time to disable the trap, so there's no need to test Tech-Use to do so. You can choose to test Tech-Use to learn more about the device if you want - one DoS will tell you that the device triggered the tram's emergency brake through a simple power overload; two DoS will tell you that it also released the leerhunds remotely, hence the wires running off; four DoS will reveal that the device was constructed with a unique component - a circuitboard used in macrobattery munitions.

Inspecting the remains of the leerhunds will reveal that they're wearing collars of similar design to the tram trap. Success on a Tech-Use test will reveal that it's a crude shock collar. The bodies yield nothing else of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Franklyn "Butcher" Brass

Franklyn slowly emerges from cover with his assistant, and waits a couple seconds. After the fighter of the group seem to settle down, he quickly runs over to one of the hounds and starts putting samples into vials, handing them to his primative assistant to label. "Hair, hair, skin, blood, nail, eye, and brain," when Franklyn says the last one he fishes his finger into the wound left by the other Frank's shot.

He then takes one of his surgical implements and begins to remove the entire hand. "See, first slice through the skin and the outer muscle with a fine point scalpel. It should also work against any major tendons, depending on species," he starts to repeat to his assistant, who is watching and nodding.

at work so I can't roll up first aid yet, i will later. play it off as Franklyn not realizing anyone has been hurt.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Brother Tomas Vale

Tomas hobbles over to the tram and leans against it, breathing hard and wincing. His hand comes away bloody from an ugly gash just below his ribs. A few centimeters deeper and there was a good chance his guts would've been visible. He looks around, notices that Franklyn is more interested in the leerhunds than in him, and scowls. There was something disquieting about that man's whole demeanor, but there was nothing to be done about it.

"Medicae Brass! I believe I require stitches." He waves his bloody hand for emphasis.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Franklyn "Butcher" Brass

When Vale motions over to him for help, Brass gives some instructions to Ms. Entrain to continue gathering specimens and goes over to the priest. "Sorry brother, I did not witness your injury from my place of cover. I tend to rely on the screams and moans of the dying to direct my aid." Franklyn then comes over and seeing the source of the bleeding quickly unfastens the chest piece of the priest's armor to better get at the injury. He then sets down his first aid kit, and begins a series of poking and prodding around the wound, as well as trying to track blood flow and rates of bleeding.

Finally after nearly ten minutes Franklyn reaches into his medkit and pulls out a tube with some sort of gel in it and a needle with thread. "Your injury appears to be mostly superficial. I don't detect any injury to organs, but your skin, layers of fat, and muscle have all been torn. I am going to have to stitch together your muscle and use use this medical grade adhesive on your skin to bind it together until the body's natural process begins to knit the cells back together. It will be sore, and you do run a risk of tearing the wound back open. So please keep the suicidal theatrics to a minimum."

With that said Franklyn quickly stitches and glues the priest up before silently packing his kit up and going back to the leerhund and his assistant.

okay going to do first aid then. I am going to assume that we're not in danger and have some time, so I'll take 10 minutes to study the wound and get the +10 bonus from foresight. My TN is:

47int+10medicae+10masterchiurgeon+20medkit+10foresight=97
first aid vale TN 97: 1d100 94

Good thing with the foresight.So Vale gets healed for my IB or 4, plus 1 for my pitiful dos, for 5 wounds total. I cannot first aid you gain for 24 hours.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Franklin "Rough Road" Temple"

"Yeah, okay, whatever, don't thank the fethin' sniper for doin' his job, that's cool." Frank's voice drops into a mocking tone as he mimics the priest. "'Oh thank you, noble cretin, for shootin' the poo poo up out the thing what was gonna kill me, I am ever so grateful, praise the Emperor, burn the witch, never say die.'" He grunts as he puffs on his cigar, digging into his vest and pulling out some sort of ration that he bites into. He raises his voice at Vale, crumbs flying from his mouth. "YEAH, YER WELCOME, I ONLY KILLED BOTH FETHIN' HOUNDS THAT WERE GONNA KILL YA. Cripes. Priests."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Brother Tomas Vale

"Appreciated, Medicae Brass. Emperor guide your healing hand."

As the other Franklin begins to rant and spray crumbs on his robe, Tomas turns, his face growing increasingly grave and imperious.

"Let it never be said that rewards and adulation are synonymous with the God-Emperor's affection. Though one basks in the light of praise for his deeds, and another labors in the shadow of anonymity, both shall pass into the Emperor's loving embrace with the passage of time. And who can say that the Emperor's reward be any less than the whole of mankind's praise and glory? For in His divinity we see nothing less than our own humanity perfected. Thus, we know that the true reward is yet to come, and that a man can possess all the wealth and fame in the galaxy, and yet he lacks even a fraction of what awaits the diligent and courageous servant of Him On Earth. Do not look to the rewards of this life as signs of His favor. Look to your deeds and your thoughts, for the only true reward awaits the worthy at the end."

He suddenly cracks a smile and leans back against the tram.

"That being said, thank you, Sniper Temple. I hope to return the favor one day."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Read The loving Manual, Shaman Of The Great Creation

Meanwhile, Read has begun to examine and diffuse the trap that so rudely interrupted the tram's most holy transit route. On the upside, it's easy enough to remove from the tracks and render nonfunctional. On the downside... well, strict adherence to dogma in the face of strange tech demands that she test its physical construction with the application of significant amounts of crushing force. It fails this test in spectacular fashion, though that does not particularly enlighten Read as to the whats or whys of the device.

Read finishes jotting down the latest observations before moving over to rejoin the others. She says, "Indeed, the rounds were delivered most efficiently." She pauses, then considers how to present her own findings. After a moment she clearly decides to focus on the positives. "The device has been removed utterly and will no longer bar our path! With but a quick supplication to the machine-spirit of the tram, as well as a cycling of power, we should be able to reach our original goal."

Tech-Use (+10 Foresight, +10 Mastery) = TN 62: 1d100 63

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

"No offense, father.." Frank continues to eat, open mouthed, and he gestures towards the priest with his snack. "..but I think if YOU gotta save ME, that means somethin' is gnawin' on my face and that means we're probably both in deep, deep poo poo since I ain't in a position to shoot the poo poo tryin' to gnaw on YOUR face." He swallows, making a contented grunt. "Or stab it. Or whateva'."

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Haint Brokk

Haint ambles over from where he's been keeping watch for any more surprises, giving Franklin a hearty clap on the back, making him cough bits of food all over his front.
"Well shot, friend! Looks like you could teach us all a thing or two, eh?"
He the returns to fiddling with the sight on his Multi-las. Is the alignment off? How do you tell?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The tram's machine spirit remains obedient to the end of its journey, delivering the group to Bay Seven without further protest. Bay Seven itself appears like any other Bay from the outside - a reinforced wall of dull gray, decorated with the usual skulls and aquilae. The large bay doors, emblazoned with "07", sit squarely in the middle of the bay wall, large enough to fly a Thunderhawk through. Dwarfed by the bay doors is a smaller access door, although it's still large enough that an Ogryn would barely reach the lintel. Unusually, the access door is unlocked and opens as the group approach. Passing through a temporary vestibule that appears to have been installed for centuries, the group enter into a large chamber that appears completely alien to many of them.

The ground underfoot is a dark brown powder, packed into a relatively firm surface. Here and there, patches of long green strands poke up out of the brown floor, and are occasionally topped with colourful shapes. More sparsely, tall columns of varying shades of grey and brown rise up above the green, often many times taller than the group, before branching out into a tangle of smaller pipes that terminate in even more green. From somewhere unseen in the Bay, a commotion of trills and whistles quell the sounds of the ship. The air is damp and faintly smells of rot.

I'll leave it up to each player to decide how much they know about flora, it's not important to the story, though. You've got an opportunity to react to a literal forest onboard a voidship before you go looking for the Hermit.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 16, 2019

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Brother Tomas Vale

Tomas scans the greenery with suspicion. He'd seen such things depicted in ancient artwork while in seminary, but never in person.

"Has this always been here, or has some taint crept aboard? In the blessed sterility of our home, nature seems unnatural."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Frank lights another lho stick, raising his eyebrows as he glances around. "Huh. Lotta good vantage points in here. Ain't been in a forest in I dunno how long now. poo poo, are these ploin trees? I ain't had a fethin' ploin in a grox's age." Frank slings his rifle over his shoulder, squinting through smoke up into the trees. "Look, if these things are fruitin', I'm goin' up there and grabbin' some. Ploins are fethin' juicy and good for ya."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Read's nose crinkles as olfactory sensors process some frankly rank organic compounds. She takes a half-step further away from the ratling, though it turns out the scent of the forest isn't much better. She's heard the stories, passed down from shaman to shaman, of the great infection that plagues the great vessel... though this is certainly the first she's ever actually seen it.

In response to Tomas's question, Read says, "It is said that the great infection sprung forth from a failure in the rite of cleansing, though I cannot say from where it came."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Franklyn "Butcher" Brass

Franklyn's mouth goes slightly agape. "Well I certainly did not expect to see any greenery on board ship. Potentially some fungal growths, but not a full on tree." Franklyn briefly remembers his childhood in the lower hives of his world, and the distant sight of rad spoiled trees in the effluent outflow plains outside of the hive. He'd always admired how hardy the plants were to grow out there when exposure to the same chemicals caused uncontrolled cancerous growths and major organ failure in the humans creating it.

He briefly shakes his head. "I only ever saw up close weeds growing through the hab block cracks, but I do remember reading a book on botany and medicinal herbs while with the Sororitas..."

Rolling SL Chymistry to identify any plants, espcially ones that might have medicinal purposes. Or would make good poison.

SL chymistry to id plants TN 57: 1d100 1

Well, that's 5-6 DoS on that test. So let me have some space opium or nightshade please?

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Haint Brokk

Haint sniffs the air distrustingly.

"This many plants just ain't meant to be."

He kicks the trunk of some tall growy thing.

"No pot or anything. Weird."

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 23, 2019

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

While most of the various plants Franklyn are entirely foreign to him, he eventually spies a tree that seems familiar to him. A moment's introspection grants him the realisation that he has seen it before, although only ever in pictures. The tree, classified as melaleuca rabiosa, bears fruit that is mildly poisonous, but when those leaves are prepared in the correct way, can produce a powerful drug. The drug affect's the user's blood flow and pain receptors, resulting in a short term increase in physical strength and allowing the user to shrug off minor injury. The only side effect is a loosening of the user's mental fortitude, rendering them more susceptible to suggestion and influence.

From somewhere among the foliage surrounding the group, a lilting voice croons, "'tisn't an infection, no. 'Tis a bounty, of the Great Provider, yes!"

A shape unfurls from the leaf cover, resolving into the upper half of a human dangling upside-down. The man beams at the group, his arms and unruly hair hanging loose below him. "Welcome, fellow travellers," he exclaims, "welcome to Eden! 'Tis the gift of Him who holds our lives in His hands! Please come in and receive His blessing!" The man detaches himself from the branch he hangs from and performs a perfect half-somersault, landing on his feet. He turns and half walks, half hops toward the group, an array of small bones sewn to his grubby coveralls tinkling as he moves. Stopping within reach of the group, he holds out his empty hands and asks, "Do you require sustenance? The Provider will take care of your troubles!"

The tree's fruit will cause mild nausea if eaten raw. A successful Trade (Chemistry) -10 test will result in [Dos] doses of the drug. Each dose of the drug will give the user Unnatural Strength (+2) and Unnatural Toughness (+2) for 10 minutes; multiple doses don't stack these bonuses. Each dose of the drug will also give a -10 penalty to all social interactions, as well as increase all Insanity and Corruption gains by 1 for the next 24 hours; multiple doses do stack these penalties. Failing the Trade (Chemistry) test will result in [DoF] doses of a powerful emetic.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Brother Tomas Vale

"Foulness oft wears fair guise. Few seek wretchedness for its own sake, but many seek comfort and ease, and fear to examine them closely lest they evaporate like a dream. Thus it is that so many sink into the depths of corruption and know it not until their damnation is complete. Or, as the layman might say: a curse is but a blessing in reverse. I don't mean to offend if your intentions are noble, stranger, but we have already faced treachery on our journey here. Who is this Great Provider you speak of?"

Tomas had never been the most studious of priests, preferring to focus on rhetoric and fury over tedious details. Still, he knew enough to be suspicious of the unusual. He'd be keeping an eye on this one.

I'm gonna go ahead and start thinking about how heretical all of this is. The +10 from Foresight sounds pretty nice considering I have a whole 17 in Forbidden Lore (Heresy). And hey, maybe it won't come up, I'm sure this Great Provider is completely legit.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Frank is already up the tree and picking fruit the moment he sees such a thing exists. He sniffs the fruit and grimaces; he didn't know what the fruit was, but he assumed by the smell it wasn't going to go well in a tart without a bit of sugar and other work. With a shrug, he starts shoving the fruit into his bag. The doc might have use for them, and if not, he could always trick someone in the brass into eating a "ratling delicacy."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The man looks at Tomas with bemusement. "Why, the Great Provider is Lord of all that you see! He gives us food and shelter, He protects us from the dangers in the beyond!" He glances around furtively before continuing, "The Provider appeared to me once - He gifted me this orchard as a reward for my devotion to Him, and tasked me with caring for it. One day, He will return, I am sure of it!"

Tomas doesn't get the impression that the man is a heretic, although he knows that he doesn't really know what a heretic looks like - FL (Heresy) @ 27: 1d100 58 Fail!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Read carefully takes video and sound recordings, primarily for the purposes of sending to the Great Ones and requesting disinfection on this appalling blemish in the great work. The repeated mentions of a Great Provider is hardly reassuring either, as it tends to the conclusion that someone planted this mess intentionally. Read can hardly fathom the depraved mind that would do such a thing.

While the others plunge headfirst into infection and odd fruits and other horrifying ideas, Read quietly reinforces her internal cleansing mechanisms. May the machine spirits forbid some hint of infection finding root in her. She says, "Mm. It looks like you've ruined a perfectly good bay if you ask me. What if the Great Ones require the space for docking? This..." She gestures with distaste. "...orchard...would be vented into the depths of space."

There's a brief moment where she pauses, thoughtful. It was likely beyond her purview, so she shouldn't even contemplate such an act. ...Unless?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Franklyn "Butcher" Brass

Franklyn nods, "Don't mind if I do," he dismissively says as he immediately starts to gather melaleuca rabiosa handing them to his assistant. Really a wonderful plant. Prepared right it will serve as a combat stimm, pre paired "wrong" and a poison. A win-win as far as the ethically challenged medic was concerned.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Brother Tomas Vale

Tomas scowls, but nothing that had been said so far struck him as an undeniable sign of heresy. The inhabitants of the underdecks could ascribe divine significance to any number of things. This could, in fact, be a miracle of the Emperor. And besides, who knew if this man was alone? There could be others hiding in the trees.

"I... see. We are traveling to seek the Bay Seven Hermit. It has been prognosticated that we must find him to avert a great danger."

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Haint Brokk

"That how docking works, Read?" Haint scratches his jaw. "Glad we're a Munitions tribe."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The strange man beams and claps his hands together. "Ah, but that is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I am he, although it is pronounced 'Herman.'" His expression becomes troubled as he continues, "There is a great danger, you say? What is going to happen to my trees? I must keep them safe for the return of the Provider!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Brother Tomas Vale

In hindsight it seemed obvious that the hermit in Bay Seven was the Bay Seven Hermit, but then again, that wasn't the kind of assumption you could make. Isolation and the rigors of Warp travel did terrible things to minds and souls. The remote corners of every ship always became havens for madmen, mutants, and worse. If you met one, they were never alone.

"Ah, how fortunate that we found you. In truth, we don't know what danger is coming, only that we must fight it. We need to find a hidden cache of weapons to arm the crewmen, and were told that you might know where to find it."

If necessary I have Charm at 40.