Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My tent was used to get hosed and drugs in the backyard.

It could have fit around a backpack.

It was safer than my car without brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I don't know what fuel that heater uses, OP, but never use any gas appliance in a tent, including the vestibule, as they produce carbon monoxide which can kill you. This includes stoves. Never use anything in a tent that can start a fire, including candles, i.e. nothing with a flame - a lot of people are injured or die ftom fires in tents.

You need to start out base camping, i.e. no hiking with full gear, so you can test all your equipmemt properly in a non-disastrous way. Test-setup your tent in your yard or if you don't have a yard in a city park (during the day) to ensure you know how to set it up and have all the pieces. No equipment can be assumed to work properlly until tested. Your tent might leak, your sleeping bag might not be warm enough, etc. etc

Do a few base camps before hiking. You can go for day walks from your campsites.

Before hiking with camping gear, filll your pack with all the equipment you'll be taking and hike with it around the city to check you can carry everything It might be heavier than you think. You certainly won't be packing a heater.

Contact your parks department re whether permits are required. Know the fire regulations, including whether stoves are permitted in high fire risk weather.

I suggest you don't go snow hiking for quite some time, as not being proerly prepared would create a real chance of you dying from exposure. Again, all equipment would need to be tested, piece by piece.

Have fun, just start out carefully.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 30, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

numberoneposter posted:

there is a subset of cycling called "bikepacking" and a bunch of my friends are into it and im thinking about starting to collect some gear

I just watched a documentary on Netflix on basically this called Pedal the World. It's a guy who loads up his bike and travels all over the world. Including camping. It wasn't bad.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah I plan on camping a lot before I actually start backpacking. I have a lot of gear to test out. Regarding the heater, I just picked it up from reviews about taking it tent camping. It has an auto shut off if it detects low oxygen levels. But yeah, not the best idea to bring it in a tent.

I want to load up all of the gear that I think I'll take backpacking sometime. I have gear for both camping and backpacking so I just need to figure out what I'd actually carry. I'm going to load it up and go on one of the local trails before I'd ever do that. I don't plan on snow hiking anytime soon since we have no snow and it's early spring weather.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol testing things and being careful??? Boooorinngg

My favorite trips have all involved near death and hiking through off limits areas but ymmv

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think I need to organize my gear. I put that on my to-do list just now.

This isn't even all of it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you car camp bins saved my life. just store all your poo poo in bins both in the car at the site and at home. there's a tent bin, a bedding bin (both of which double as just storage for random poo poo once your tent is all set up), a kitchen bin, and a utilities/games bin. then your backpacking stuff should be (except for anything compressable like a sleeping bag which just goes in the bottom compartment anyway) in your backpack set up anyway, why have more stuff than you can fit in your backpack? plus if the zombies come you are ready to go.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
bins

backpacks up top

we probably have more stuff than you tbh, its just all in bins. get bins.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have more stuff spread around the house. You can see a shelf in the back that is where I need to put everything on but I'm lazy. When I go car camping next I'm just going to pack everything up in my backpack and see what I can fit in there. I'll bring more comfort stuff in the back of my Subaru but I'll try to keep it minimal. I want to figure out what I'll need when I actually go backpacking.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo weigh your bag if it’s more than 40lbs dry (meaning without water or consumables) then really seriously consider removing stuff if you’re going more than a few miles or have a ton of recent conditioning carrying a heavier ruck. Closer to 25-30lbs dry is optimal imo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So far I have no idea how I am going to load what I "think" I need into the pack. It's going to take a lot of trial and error. Load it, doesn't fit, trim it down. Rinse and repeat. I never think about food and water which I suppose is kind of important. It'll just take some practice. I'll also load it and hike with it locally on trails and see how miserable it is. That'll give me some motivation to trim some gear too.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Cavemen made it their whole lives with an animal pelt, a club, and dingle berries in their rear end.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you carry two uzis akimbo everything else just sort of falls into place

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Thinking of taking my .357 mag but that thing is pretty heavy. I'll probably stick with my Ruger LCP .380.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Just a fair warning OP, goons are detail-oriented and very fussy so don't get too concerned if this thread has pages upon pages of inane discussion on foot comfort and gear weight

Get on out there!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

soy posted:

imo weigh your bag if it’s more than 40lbs dry (meaning without water or consumables) then really seriously consider removing stuff if you’re going more than a few miles or have a ton of recent conditioning carrying a heavier ruck. Closer to 25-30lbs dry is optimal imo.

This is key. Leave all that extra gear at home! Your fully loaded pack shouldn't be more than about 20% of your body weight. Better if you can get it closer to 15% though.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So far I have no idea how I am going to load what I "think" I need into the pack. It's going to take a lot of trial and error. Load it, doesn't fit, trim it down. Rinse and repeat. I never think about food and water which I suppose is kind of important. It'll just take some practice. I'll also load it and hike with it locally on trails and see how miserable it is. That'll give me some motivation to trim some gear too.

Yeah, that's a good idea. After about 10 miles, you'll get motivated really quickly to start dropping stuff and thinking of what you can live without.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 1, 2020

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Jesus you people need to clean your houses

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pawn 17 posted:

This is key. Leave all that extra gear at home! Your fully loaded pack shouldn't be more than about 20% of your body weight. Better if you can get it closer to 15% though.

So you're saying I can just get fatter to carry more? hmmm :thunk:

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand why te OP made this thread if he claims to not be an expert in the field?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

:hmmyes:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

It's based off ideal body weight

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well poo poo.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Throw away half of the poo poo you're bringing. You don't need it. Extra weight is a pain in the rear end.
Anything more than a 35L backpack is just lol.

Don't be one of those losers with gigantic 80L packs LARPing around a 1 day trail/city.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
gently caress bitches-eat granola

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Rad-daddio posted:

gently caress bitches-eat granola

Pff all the real backpackers eat ramen bombs these days

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Real Amethyst posted:

Throw away half of the poo poo you're bringing. You don't need it. Extra weight is a pain in the rear end.
Anything more than a 35L backpack is just lol.

Don't be one of those losers with gigantic 80L packs LARPing around a 1 day trail/city.

Ya and don’t worry you won’t need comfort items. After hiking in and pitching tent I can usually fall asleep in about five seconds flat using a rock as a pillow.

Also any lovely MRE you eat will taste amazing.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Pack size largely depends on where you are hiking, and when you are hiking. You'll obviously need a larger pack in the winter. Always keep dry clothing no matter what time of year. People have caught hypothermia at 80 degrees if the wind is blowing at a higher altitudes. The main thing is take only what you need nothing else. the biggest mistake new hikers make is packing too much food. MRE's are cool for a day hike but if you are planing on being out more than a few days those bastards weigh too much.The most important things are dry bags, para cord, a good knife, dry clothing, and a water filter.

Smiling Mandrill fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 1, 2020

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

If you’re hemming and hawing about going backpacking you should just go! Pick a campsite close to the trailhead (like less than 2 miles), bring a headlamp, and worst case scenario you can bail during the night to the car if things aren’t going well. I guess make sure the weather is not dangerously bad too. You’ll learn a lot. Once you have some confidence just build up the mileage / commitment factor.

To find that spot, check the internet or guidebooks for your area. It seems like trail info on the internet is pretty localized. Like Washington has its own website and database on a different site than Oregon’s. Alltrails is a decent universal resource in some spots though.

If you feel you must read more about it there’s some other threads here in the hiking forum and YLLS with good resources / inspirational trip reports.

I hope all of you that want to get outside and backpack do it! I like it a lot and it’s sad to read about people with the stuff they need to try it paralyzed into inaction. You got this!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can book campsites in advance at more popular parks which if its your first time isnt a terrible idea as you'll be in a well work and known spot in case youve issues and its easier for you to manage.

Also, seriously, test all your gear before you go. You do not want to know your tent has a leak in it because youre sitting in it in a downpour miles from your car.

Lastly, I swear to god if you buy that folding backpack canoe you drat well better use it instead of having it be a garage queen.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

I know a guy that did AT on almost entirely ramen.

The lack of weight is a selling point.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Anachronist posted:

If you’re hemming and hawing about going backpacking you should just go! Pick a campsite close to the trailhead (like less than 2 miles), bring a headlamp, and worst case scenario you can bail during the night to the car if things aren’t going well. I guess make sure the weather is not dangerously bad too. You’ll learn a lot. Once you have some confidence just build up the mileage / commitment factor.

To find that spot, check the internet or guidebooks for your area. It seems like trail info on the internet is pretty localized. Like Washington has its own website and database on a different site than Oregon’s. Alltrails is a decent universal resource in some spots though.

If you feel you must read more about it there’s some other threads here in the hiking forum and YLLS with good resources / inspirational trip reports.

I hope all of you that want to get outside and backpack do it! I like it a lot and it’s sad to read about people with the stuff they need to try it paralyzed into inaction. You got this!

Thanks, I'm not really paralyzed, pennywise might be jeez, it's more I wanted my partner to be involved. I bet she will go after my son and I go a couple times

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

I have more stuff spread around the house. You can see a shelf in the back that is where I need to put everything on but I'm lazy. When I go car camping next I'm just going to pack everything up in my backpack and see what I can fit in there. I'll bring more comfort stuff in the back of my Subaru but I'll try to keep it minimal. I want to figure out what I'll need when I actually go backpacking.

What Subaru u got pennywise? I have an 00 Forester S just weeks away from 200k miles. No check engine light

Just mounted up some sweet Yoko a/t g015 tires oh yes

interwhat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 1, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

interwhat posted:

What Subaru u got pennywise? I have an 00 Forester S just weeks away from 200k miles. No check engine light

Just mounted up some sweet Yoko a/t g015 tires oh yes

2014 Forester. I don't plan on getting rid of this thing until it falls apart, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon. My next car will probably be a Forester.

interwhat posted:

Thanks, I'm not really paralyzed, pennywise might be jeez, it's more I wanted my partner to be involved. I bet she will go after my son and I go a couple times

That's the story of my life. I want to do something but am paralyzed and don't do it. My only new years resolution is to "live." Start doing things for once.

Barudak posted:

Lastly, I swear to god if you buy that folding backpack canoe you drat well better use it instead of having it be a garage queen.

I bought an Intex Challenger K1 Kayak (in the background of my messy pic) and I'm super impressed. I have a regular kayak but it's really difficult to transport that thing by myself. I was so surprised how well the K1 works. I'd recommend it to go to a local lake or have a spare for a friend.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you want to do it, just do it. You can't pressure someone into a hobby they don't like. She might never want to do it and that's fine too.

Another cool thing to do is canoeing/kayaking. You don't have to schlep all your poo poo (or not much, anyway) and you can keep clean.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Anne Whateley posted:

If you want to do it, just do it. You can't pressure someone into a hobby they don't like. She might never want to do it and that's fine too.

Another cool thing to do is canoeing/kayaking. You don't have to schlep all your poo poo (or not much, anyway) and you can keep clean.

I'm gonna downsize my pack for sure. I have a massive framed Blackhawk whatever milspec whatever pack it's more of a go bag. I can totally fit my mini 14 in it cause the stock folds. Which I probably won't ever take on a trip cause 1. Guns are bad(having one is more of a risk than not in most scenarios and 2. It's heavy. Maybe if I go anywhere remote.

Pennywise, I'll put a motor in my Subaru before I buy a new car. My actual dream car(I have driven a lot of crazy poo poo being a mechanic) is a Forester XT with a manual trans. Subaru isnt making anything fun right now, so they have a few years, plus I will never buy a new car again, only used.

If I could make a recommendation, as I worked for a Subaru dealer until 2012 or so and saw what happens when they switched to 0w-20, and this is god damned good advise for anyone who owns a car, change the oil more often than the manufacturer says to. I change mine at 3000, but it's getting up there. 5000 is perfect for any car, any oil. I've seen hundreds of engine failures and 99.9% of the time the engine was wayyy low on oil. If I can't convince my partner to even pop the fuckin hood, I know most people are guilty also. Oil maintenance is the one surefire way to make your car last, and you have to take it upon yourself to do it. It's in the manufacturer/dealers best interest for you to gently caress your car up so you can say gently caress it and buy a new one. It's definitely a trend most people seem to be ok with.

Derailed my own thread. I also have a a hammock and an eno rain fly. For our first trip, me and the boy just might double up in the hammock, making us just about fully prepared right now!

I also have a collapsable 3 post hanging spit grill I got for Christmas. It's a little big to throw in a pack, plus it gets nasty, so I probably wouldn't recommend it for backpacking, but we camped at mid Ohio for IMSA and it was great. Cooked a perfect flank steak and made delicious tacos on it.

Besides ramen, what else is good sustenance to bring along? I feel like eggs and hot dogs might be doable. Eggs don't actually require refrigeration if they haven't been chemically washed and refrigerated prior. Back in the day when I would trailer(ugh god what a pain in the rear end, hated it) camp with my family growing up, we had a pretty handy plastic egg holder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hell yeah Subaru buddy! :hfive:

I was told that synthetic could last like 10,000 miles. Yeah that isn't true at all. I change it maybe every 4,000. It gets low and looks dirty as poo poo. Like black.

I slept on my new sleep system two nights ago on the floor in my living room. I slept like poo poo. I think I had way too much caffeine though (didn't drink new years eve). So that may have made a big difference. I was really comfortable and the pad I have is really thick and nice. The pillow has a shoulder cut out in it for side sleepers. I either sleep on my side or stomach. I have a CPAP so I can't sleep on my back which makes camp sleeping hard.

I'll have to try it again. This is my new system.

Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow

Nemo Men's Disco 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

Sleepingo Camping Sleeping Pad