Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Welcome to the backpacking thread! Your place for discussing trails, camping tips and whatever else you all want to talk about when it comes to roughing it in the open country!

I would love to be the guy with all the knowledge in the world of backpacking, however I am fairly inexperienced, and will likely be asking more questions than answering them!!! I currently have a massive framed pack, compact sleeping bag, one hammock, a life straw, camel pack, and several other odds and ends, 4 man tent although I will likely be downsizing to a 2 man tent since backpacking means packing smart.

I'm posting this thread now in preparation for the spring season. For a little backstory, I have a lot of this stuff that I have either obtained from people who have replaced their gear, or purchased it because I have a calling, and sadly haven't answered the calling. This is largely due to wanting the 3 of my family to go together and do a short cheap weekend together, but it never pans out. This is largely due in part to my partner(she, i am a dude, but it doesnt matter) is not really the outdoorsy person, and very much a homebody, and I have sort of been waiting for her to show some interest, but I have waited in vain. That leaves myself and my 5 year old son, whom I think would absolutely love to do this. However, safety comes first, and I want to make sure I am 100% ready to take my little boy out into the wilderness, and not end up some buffoon being helicoptered out of the wilderness, forever being an irresponsible father. I will say this, I have done several solo hikes, or duo hikes with adults, and I know my limits physically, and I know my son will probably have as much energy or more to do the same. A lot of this desire stems from my desire to experience life outdoors with my son, and provide some of my own experiences on how to survive out in the wild. This is not at all a prepper thread, but having these skills, to me, seems very important, and involves a whole lot of skills that I think make a lot of sense to have as an upright traveling mammal.

I have this vision, where we can drive out in my Subaru Forester(literally) to a trail parking area, hike for a few hours or more, set up camp, build a camp fire, fish for dinner(of course bringing plenty of food as backup) as I am a capable chef, sleep, wake up and head back to the car. All without taking time off or spending much money. We live in north central Ohio, but according to ODNR, you're not allowed to camp off trail in state parks here, which seems like kind of a bummer. Anyone with thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. A lot of these trails have designated camping zones, but I would wager a guess that these are very unprimitive, and will likely be crawling with people. I am not wholly against this, but the idea of this, to me is to escape, and people are pretty lame, particularly when you don't know them. What I would really like to do, after several preparatory outings, is trek up to Michigan's UP and really check out all that sexy wilderness and wildlife, but I know that there are some serious rules to follow, such as permits to camp in remote areas or somesuch.

Anyone have any good online sources with varying levels of prep lists, trail lists, how to get there, and what and what is not acceptable, and advice that they would like recommend? How bout carrying a firearm?

Anyone have any of their own experiences, maybe in blog form, that they would like to share?

How about freshwater fishing? I know that this can be a huge amount of information, so lets keep it in the form of backpacking related fishing.

Talk to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I got a backpack for my textbooks and calculator

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Does it come in VR? I can load a backpack with some dumbbells for extra authenticity.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don’t wait until you get thirsty, start drinking you’re own piss at the beginning of the trip! :viggo:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Valeriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
Valeraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
backpacks are for children, op. i hike the wilderness with a briefcase like an adult

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Real goons hike with a shopping cart full or raisins

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've heard that frontpacking is in in 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tupacking where you wear one at the front and one at the back

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

fannypacking the the appalachian trail, just like our pioneer forefathers

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I like backpacking because I get to see Golf Canada and it's great to see the size of the country. It also helps that our society tends to be a lot more accepting, just try going to a men's club or women's club in the US. We are so much more accepting of other lifestyles, lifestyles that have the many different cliches like "huge house" and the "smoking is bad". I feel like its a very progressive country, its kind of different from the way it is right now in the UK. But I get on with the new friends I meet at this tour that I met earlier this year in Worcester (players we got to be good friends with for a few weeks) and I enjoy all.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
What kind of weapons load do you guys take?

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

JK Fresco posted:

Get some range and maybe an SMG for CQC.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

JK Fresco posted:

You can never go wrong with a glaive-ranseur. Can even turn into your very own hobo stick!

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

JK Fresco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaEjJz-6jg

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Lmao YouTube showed me an ad for (different brand of) combat shovels and that was before the video started!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You can do anything with a 12 gauge. If not you're a really bad shot.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Be a 20 year old Euro female, stay in Greek hostel, catch gonnorhea.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I camp wherever I want and nobody ever tells me to leave. Just clean up after yourself and pack up before late morning and I don't see why anyone would care.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

SERPUS posted:

Be a 20 year old Euro female, stay in Greek hostel, catch gonnorhea.

i could stay home and catch gonnorhea for free

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I camp wherever I want and nobody ever tells me to leave. Just clean up after yourself and pack up before late morning and I don't see why anyone would care.

Thread delivers.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Travelling tip: keep your valuables in your rear end. If your backpack is expensive carry it in your rear end

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Icochet posted:

Travelling tip: keep your valuables in your rear end. If your backpack is expensive carry it in your rear end

what if my rear end is expensive

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Why not get a pullcart and walk across America.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

a misanthrope posted:

Fold in on yourself eternally.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a misanthrope posted:

Is it though?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Icochet posted:

Is it though?

i am kim kardashian and my rear end is insured for $12 million dollars

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

i have a european man bag that i got from my bag man

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a misanthrope posted:

i am kim kardashian and my rear end is insured for $12 million dollars

Well if it's insured do whatever, no sweat

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
i bet op stinks

e: read the op

probably doesn’t stink too bad

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Head Bee Guy posted:

i bet op stinks

e: read the op

probably doesn’t stink too bad

I'm currently pooping, so pretty stinky rn

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I put on my backpack and hiking hat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My father used to force myself and my sisters to go backpacking with him in the Weminuche wilderness and it was terrifying and dangerous and he should probably be in prison for child endangerment. Also he's an idiot and didn't get stuff like powdered lemonade or pancake powder or mac and cheese so we drank plain unfiltered river/lake water and ate disgusting freeze dried chipped beef poo poo from the camping store. Welp thats my backpacking story thanks for reading.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

You don't find sasquatch. Sasquatch finds you.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

You don't find sasquatch. Sasquatch finds you.

Sasquatches are everywhere. I’m always complaining that im the only one who can see them. Nobody likes my special brownies. :rznv:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey OP I like camping too! I have a poo poo ton of backpacking gear but I've never backpacked once!

I camp sometimes when I'm not depressed... which is almost never. I have all the time in the world and plan on doing it in the spring and possibly even this winter. I seriously have everything I'd need to do a week long trip but I just don't know where to begin. I have no one to do actual backpacking with so I'd be going alone. We have the Ice Age Trail near me which is like 1,000 miles but I don't know where to start hiking, where I can camp, how to organize where I can camp if I can't set up shop anywhere, how long I can travel in a day, lots of other questions.

I just bought a bunch of camping gear this past week. No idea why. When I'm doing better I have a spending issue and it usually ends up being backpacking gear for some reason. If I go camping soon there will be hardly any daylight so I don't know wtf I'd do with myself once the sun goes down. Plus it'd be cold. Naturally. Not sure if being dark, cold, and alone would be the best idea for someone like me but I'm bored.

I went hiking last week when it was really nice out. I've been wanting to do snowshoeing and x-country skiing the past few years but it's hard to time the snow and weather with my brain. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon. The state park I go to locally to hike is called Bong. heh

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey OP I like camping too! I have a poo poo ton of backpacking gear but I've never backpacked once!

I camp sometimes when I'm not depressed... which is almost never. I have all the time in the world and plan on doing it in the spring and possibly even this winter. I seriously have everything I'd need to do a week long trip but I just don't know where to begin. I have no one to do actual backpacking with so I'd be going alone. We have the Ice Age Trail near me which is like 1,000 miles but I don't know where to start hiking, where I can camp, how to organize where I can camp if I can't set up shop anywhere, how long I can travel in a day, lots of other questions.

I just bought a bunch of camping gear this past week. No idea why. When I'm doing better I have a spending issue and it usually ends up being backpacking gear for some reason. If I go camping soon there will be hardly any daylight so I don't know wtf I'd do with myself once the sun goes down. Plus it'd be cold. Naturally. Not sure if being dark, cold, and alone would be the best idea for someone like me but I'm bored.

I went hiking last week when it was really nice out. I've been wanting to do snowshoeing and x-country skiing the past few years but it's hard to time the snow and weather with my brain. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon. The state park I go to locally to hike is called Bong. heh

I got on a kick where I was like trying to get away from where people camp. Like the solitude was some sort of drug, no chatter, no eye contact with other people, no feigned kindness, just animals and sunshine and cool water. Always trying to find that ultra untapped wilderness, like places people would kick it but don’t because there’s not a super convenient way to get there or there’s no stores within 20 miles or no phone service etc. Fill the mini fridge up with steak and bacon and salmon and take some taters and fruit and nuts and bread and butter and just go do the drat thing for a week or so. No idle conversations, no bullshit, no status quo, the first person you talk to when you get back into town is like a religious experience even if it’s the most common bullshit.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I got on a kick where I was like trying to get away from where people camp. Like the solitude was some sort of drug, no chatter, no eye contact with other people, no feigned kindness, just animals and sunshine and cool water. Always trying to find that ultra untapped wilderness, like places people would kick it but don’t because there’s not a super convenient way to get there or there’s no stores within 20 miles or no phone service etc. Fill the mini fridge up with steak and bacon and salmon and take some taters and fruit and nuts and bread and butter and just go do the drat thing for a week or so. No idle conversations, no bullshit, no status quo, the first person you talk to when you get back into town is like a religious experience even if it’s the most common bullshit.

I'm literally alone all day every day for the most part. Solitude is something I'm familiar with. I'd just rather be out accomplishing something, even if it's just moving my body and maybe learning some bushcraft skills.

This came in the mail for me today.

I got it in case I go camping soon. I can keep it in the vestibule and blow hot air into my tent in case I get too cold. At least that's what my brain is trying to justify. I have an honest to god problem with reading about backpacking all the time and then buying stuff I think I need for something I never do. I have a ton of Mountain House foods and MREs.

poo poo, I really need to get out soon. I think I'll just go on a long hike and bring an MRE with me and relax half way through. I get hotspots with my current boots but they're pretty new so I'm keeping them. Gives me an excuse to try out my first aid kit with moleskin in it. I think I'm going to test my air pad and sleeping bag tonight on the floor. I'm a side/stomach/everything-but-back sleeper so it can be difficult.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my experience it usually works out to just pick some backpacking campsite that doesn’t look like poo poo and just go for it. Just pick at random from alltrails or whatever app or website. It either sucks or it doesn’t but you quickly learn which areas you like and what gear is actually useful vs dead weight.

Usually if I haven’t been active in a while I’ll go for a 5-10 mile hike in maximum because if you’re overweight with useless gear or something goes wrong that’s a reasonable distance to just abort mission. It’s also a relatively safe distance to go alone.

Personally prefer camping alone because literally without fail every time I camp or backpack with others one of two scenarios plays out. Either they are useless and I burn myself out doing work for them and comforting them as the they whine about bugs or sun or whatever, or they become total control freaks and get all lord of the flies trying to tell me how to properly light a campfire and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

there is a subset of cycling called "bikepacking" and a bunch of my friends are into it and im thinking about starting to collect some gear