Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Night races on a wet track in replays with ray tracing look stunning.

I can confirm that if you get an early copy you can play pretty much everything but online. I can't wait to get into the license tests and circuit experiences. I always enjoyed going through those motions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

crackhaed posted:

Night races on a wet track in replays with ray tracing look stunning.

I can confirm that if you get an early copy you can play pretty much everything but online. I can't wait to get into the license tests and circuit experiences. I always enjoyed going through those motions.

Does it have gyro steering?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’m still trying to figure out how you spoil a racing game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kirios posted:

Your character takes off their helmet and it's Hideo Kojima.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kirios posted:

I think it's in the car customization settings under 'downforce modifiers'

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Stare-Out posted:

Does it have gyro steering?
Yes! I haven't tried it out yet but I will play around when I get a moment. I have a wheel/pedal setup that I primarily use but during the setup screen it asked how I wanted to set up the controller for steering and the three options were L3, d-pad (seriously?) and full controller gyro.

Also lol a typo 5 minutes in:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

crackhaed posted:

Yes! I haven't tried it out yet but I will play around when I get a moment. I have a wheel/pedal setup that I primarily use but during the setup screen it asked how I wanted to set up the controller for steering and the three options were L3, d-pad (seriously?) and full controller gyro.

Awesome, thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking at the list of cars, and tracks, I am a little disappointed here. There is almost nothing new to the series. It's largely just cars and tracks ported over from past games. The real experience here will be in how the driving physics are improved, the presentation, and how the single player career mode is balanced and laid out. Because otherwise this is just a slightly larger GT Sport in content.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I said come in! posted:

Because otherwise this is just a slightly larger GT Sport in content.

And that's all we ever needed it to be.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

I said come in! posted:

Looking at the list of cars, and tracks, I am a little disappointed here. There is almost nothing new to the series. It's largely just cars and tracks ported over from past games. The real experience here will be in how the driving physics are improved, the presentation, and how the single player career mode is balanced and laid out. Because otherwise this is just a slightly larger GT Sport in content.

I would think of it more like combining a lot of older features that Sport was stripped of back into GT Sport, and then making some generational improvement.

If you thought it was going to be revolutionary then sorry. It's certainly an evolution.

There seems to be a solid single player component, they brought back intricate tuning and upgrades instead of GT Sport's super basic system with some upgrades to it, like engine swaps. That's a huge change from GT Sport.

I'm very happy with it from what I can tell. The only thing I find disappointing is the music rally. I thought it was actually going to integrate the music into the driving somehow but it's just a pass-the-check-point-in-time-to-keep-racing style race with strong music themes. I don't know what I expected exactly, or how you really integrate the music into the drive, but I just thought it would be a little more special. Fortunately this was a feature I did not care about at all so whatever!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

crackhaed posted:

d-pad (seriously?)
Gran Turismo Portable lives on!

My first

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Bringing all the end period GT Sport cars forward into a game with more of a single player component alone would be a bit disappointing. But remember how GT Sport launched and then how it developed over time - if this is how it launches, then I’m excited for how it’ll grow.

The cafe stuff seems fun too, but I’m also here for laid-back car dad vibes right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone who got an early copy tried sport mode yet or is it not live?

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone who got an early copy tried sport mode yet or is it not live?
I just unlocked Sport and Lobby. Sport had three daily races available and it seemed I could actually enter them. In Lobby nothing showed up though.

It was the last thing I unlocked before I had to call it a night.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

crackhaed posted:

That typo is fixed in the Day 1 patch. :ssh:

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
I'd hazard a guess that nobody has gotten an early GT7 for the PS4? I'll have to get the cross generation version anyway, since PS5 availability is bad around here. I'm just curious, how it plays on the PS4 base model. I preordered GT5 as a bundle with PS3 and got GT6 at its launch. I've always loved the aspect of buying a beater and modifying it better instead of going straight to fast racing cars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Br3instyrm posted:

I'd hazard a guess that nobody has gotten an early GT7 for the PS4? I'll have to get the cross generation version anyway, since PS5 availability is bad around here. I'm just curious, how it plays on the PS4 base model. I preordered GT5 as a bundle with PS3 and got GT6 at its launch. I've always loved the aspect of buying a beater and modifying it better instead of going straight to fast racing cars.

I’ve got it pre-ordered but the digital version isn’t unlocked yet. I’m expecting that it’ll run okay, since GT Sport is the base game engine, but will take a couple days to check.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Hope so. Might be some stupid long load times, but then again I played games off cassettes when I was a kid. And the PS3 Turismos weren't much faster either. Just shame that I would need some additional hardware to use my Driving Force GT.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Br3instyrm posted:

Hope so. Might be some stupid long load times, but then again I played games off cassettes when I was a kid. And the PS3 Turismos weren't much faster either. Just shame that I would need some additional hardware to use my Driving Force GT.

GT5's load times were like being stuck in peak hour traffic

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

crackhaed posted:

If you thought it was going to be revolutionary then sorry. It's certainly an evolution.

Ooh well, still taking work off Friday for this game and will be playing it all weekend.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Me too ... oh wait I just lost my job. Oh well, at least I preordered!

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
I don't have the money for a PS5. :homebrew:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just a reminder to join the discord especially if you're down for weekly racing together.

IMHO this is where the real fun of GT7 will come from. International folks are welcome to join the discord as well, hopefully there's enough to have a weekly race for that group as well.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Three more days. So, so close.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can the game be preloaded? I can’t through the app and haven’t checked on my PS5 yet. Usually games can by now.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

jabro posted:

Can the game be preloaded? I can’t through the app and haven’t checked on my PS5 yet. Usually games can by now.
Yep, a bunch of people in the discord have preloaded.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Reviews are starting to roll in. From what I've seen, there's general praise for the racing, the car selection, the visuals, the tuning, and the gradual pace of content unlocks. The DualSense feedback is getting some love as well, that it better conveys the info you need to drive better than any visuals can. Also, there's a lot of car history to be gathered thru the Cafe. The soundtrack doesn't seem to be super popular, and some folks might not like how long it takes to unlock online racing (reportedly a couple hours).

Personally, I'm here for pretty much all of this. I don't need a loudmouth voiceover to feel excited about racing; I get that from the races themselves.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwpdmSKgMkY

Looking forward to the PS4 comparison.

e: lol did they really simulate separate paint layers

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 2, 2022

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is NASCAR in this game?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Br3instyrm posted:

I've always loved the aspect of buying a beater and modifying it better instead of going straight to fast racing cars.

This is the best. And people get so mad when you smoke their souped up supercars with a Ford Focus or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just watched the Super GT review of the game, and he mentions that tuning is a factor in multiplayer, which has nearly killed my interest in the game, considering that sport mode was 95% of what I was looking forward to.

I really, REALLY don't want to have to look up a guide for every daily race just to min/max my way into a competitive car. I already deal with enough of that in F1 and iRacing. I really enjoyed the fixed setup races of GT Sport, where it came down to driver skill only.

Dammit :smith:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
That’s a shame. Maybe they’ll introduce a mode that doesn’t do that? IMO multiplayer games aren’t fun if they’re not actual tests of skill.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am nervous about GT7's online only requirement come launch time. :ohdear:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I said come in! posted:

I am nervous about GT7's online only requirement come launch time. :ohdear:

Wait what?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

An internet connection is required at all times in order to play. You are locked out of all single player career modes without a connection. I'm just dreading the usual launch day issues with games that have this requirement. Was anyone else around for DriveClub?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Apparently it's so you can't cheat 20 million credits and a gt-r for every day of the week into your save file or something.

I wonder if any of the reviewers tried turning off their internet in the middle of a race to see what happens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zenostein posted:

Apparently it's so you can't cheat 20 million credits and a gt-r for every day of the week into your save file or something.

I wonder if any of the reviewers tried turning off their internet in the middle of a race to see what happens.

Digital Foundry, and Easy Allies did this.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Zenostein posted:

Push Square tried to see if it helped with menu loading times. It did not.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I preordered this from Amazon, the PS5 version, though it hasn't shipped early sadly. Really looking forward to this. I put a lot of hours into 3, 4, 5 and 6. What cars are going to be present that in the past haven't been? Porsche? Ferrari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I won't get this until it's like 20-something euros because gently caress paying 70 euros for a game ever but on the plus side by the time I get it, it'll be patched to perfection, have bunch of new content and likely a VR mode (which I want before I'll even consider buying it) but the early reviews are making me happy.

Aside from always online. That's never, never a good thing. It's loving stupid beyond belief to the point where I hope they catch a ton of grief for it.