Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wendigee posted:

huh?

the pdf you sent matches the ssa.gov website

it doesn't match for every state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol. Seriously I just had to verify a code change and I originally was laughing at the only number being excluded was 666.. then I find out the AreaNumber identifies your birth area and I was shocked.

Do if you could just tell me your 3 digits we can move on to step two

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm old enough that I didn't have a SS number at birth but got one later. I was living in a different state by then so suck it op.

yeah same

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

it doesn't match for every state

I believe you but I refuse to look into it further. I followed the us guidelines so unless they want to pay me more for after hours chatting their getting what they paid for. Which was verification of these rules

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Do you have a mortgage you want to talk about?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My social security number is 192.168.1.1

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

So my Social Security Number is 168 49 5667, where was I born?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

So my Social Security Number is 168 49 5667, where was I born?

I got tip off,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGhwxsIZg8

also Pennsylvania

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i dont have a ssn at all op

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My SS is 420-69-1999

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

42069 xxxx seems valid.

Contact your local Congress person for citizenship privileges

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My first telephone number HAD LETTERS

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mmm.. my mom had a"circle" phone line shared with her neighbors. This was before they got a television. Apparently there was a lot of gossip.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Bad Purchase posted:

i don't know what the best source is, but found another list on google.

i'm not gonna DOXX MYSELF but i will say that my (not zero padded) 3 digit prefix isn't associated with the right state in the ssa.gov link you posted, but it shows up correctly here:
https://www.nigc.gov/images/uploads/9a-%20List%20of%20Social%20Security%20Numbers%20for%20Each%20State%20Extra%20Handout.pdf

i was born after 1973 and before 2011, which is the time period that ssa.gov list claims to represent

What is "(designated)"?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
And why is it on MY computer?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Wendigee posted:

like a vanity plate, but extra stupid because it ties all your benefits as a US citizen to this joke

LMAO

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah I guess it won't matter once they roll back social security lol

deano
Sep 6, 2000

800 8135 51

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

do you guys remember "star wars name"s? and it was like, first three letters last name, first two first name, first two mothers maiden name, first three hospital you were born. was that just a password stealing thing the whole time? cause i remember that being a thing back in 1999, im talking phantom menace times. is that actually not my jedi name?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Born in 1971, and my first 3 digits do not represent the state in which I was born. Maybe because I was adopted and moved elsewhere before I got a SSN?

The story of my birth and adoption are hosed up so I'm guessing it was a rare case or an error.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
To be sure about results we will also need to see your credit card numbers and home address for verification

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The good news is that none of this will matter once the GOP gets control again.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm old enough that I didn't have a SS number at birth but got one later. I was living in a different state by then so suck it op.

Born on an Army base, raised in numerous caves
a number related to my home state is all I crave

CozyFella
Feb 1, 2022

I don't have anything of value to add to this conversation.
But I don't care.

Find me. I dare you.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mine is at least 3.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wendigee posted:

yeah its just the first 3 that are for region and tracking... i got a twin sibling and our numbers are pretty different except the first 3 so i figure it was randomized at least a bit all the way back to 1988

i would like to know if anyone has worked with the GG or SSSS areas to chime if there was other info

my sibling was born in 85 and I was born in 87, our SSNs are identical except for the two numbers at the end.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

my sibling was born in 85 and I was born in 87, our SSNs are identical except for the two numbers at the end.

yeah pretty sure parts are random... everyone saying that the first 3 digits don't match their location of birth seem to have received a birth cert in another location... so i guess i should have said wherever you applied for your cert rather than where you were born.

typically when you are born your parents apply for a birth cert right then and there unless something is unusual.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Lol... Pretty sure it's based on location of birth, not the parents dwelling

Like the medical facility that your mother went to.

I don't think crunchy mom's used to exist and I don't care how they get their kids birth certs because they probably won't live that long

I went dark
It is based on the state your parents lived in when you were issued a birth certificate, not the state you were born in.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

This Is the Zodiac posted:

It is based on the state your parents lived in when you were issued a birth certificate, not the state you were born in.

This wasn't true for me.

I was born in Indiana, my birth certificate was issued while we were in Indiana, but I was registered for an SSN while my father was working in New Mexico for a couple months. It was never a proper residence or anything, they just submitted everything while they were in New Mexico, and my SSN reflects that.

I only learned about this in my 20s after a bank accused me of identity theft, and tried to verify my identity by asking where I was born (which did not match the SSN), and then if I had moved as a kid (I had not).

After that whole fiasco, I called up my mother and she explained everything, and that they had done it because they thought it would be fun for me to have a New Mexico SSN.

Thanks mom and dad!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

This Is the Zodiac posted:

well i figured it was actually based of where your birth cert was applied for so that fits?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Yes I did know that, my brother mentioned it to me a couple years ago.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Phthisis posted:

I called up my mother and she explained everything, and that they had done it because they thought it would be fun for me to have a New Mexico SSN.

Why would anyone think that getting their son any specific SSN (except maybe 420-69-xxxx if they were SUPER immature) would be fun in any particular way? :psyduck:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Phthisis posted:

This wasn't true for me.

I was born in Indiana, my birth certificate was issued while we were in Indiana, but I was registered for an SSN while my father was working in New Mexico for a couple months. It was never a proper residence or anything, they just submitted everything while they were in New Mexico, and my SSN reflects that.

I only learned about this in my 20s after a bank accused me of identity theft, and tried to verify my identity by asking where I was born (which did not match the SSN), and then if I had moved as a kid (I had not).

After that whole fiasco, I called up my mother and she explained everything, and that they had done it because they thought it would be fun for me to have a New Mexico SSN.

Thanks mom and dad!

Sounds like it was pretty fun. :D

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
If you say an American’s social security number to them out loud it acts like a kill phrase from Deus Ex

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gasmask posted:

If you say an American’s social security number to them out loud it acts like a kill phrase from Deus Ex

the true purpose of Numbers Stations is revealed

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

they do the same for canada and i just learned this like 3 months ago. we call ours a SIN number :twisted: and its like this 7xx-4xx-2xx and apparently its some kind of internal math code so if its a wrong number it wont work for the equation

code:
Social Insurance Numbers can be validated through a simple check digit process called the Luhn algorithm.

046 454 286 <--- A fictitious, but valid, SIN.
121 212 121 <--- Multiply every second digit by 2.
The result of the multiplication is:

0 8 6 8 5 8 2 16 6
Then, add all of the digits together (note that 16 is 1+6):

0 + 8 + 6 + 8 + 5 + 8 + 2 + 1+6 + 6 = 50
If the SIN is valid, this number will be evenly divisible by 10.
also it depends on geography too, so

if you are a west coast gently caress your number starts with 7,

if you are as east coast bitch as possible your number starts with 1

if you are temp resident your number starts with 9

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

they should let you opt in to 666 I'd totally do it

This and making more buildings with 13th floors

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

If you're born outside the US, your SSN is tied to whatever state you live in when you apply. Mine is a Colorado one from working s year at UC Boulder as a Canadian on a TN visa

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah the codes are based on where it was issued not where you were born. I was born in Colorado but my mom moved back home to Texas to be by family after I was born and requested my SS after the move. So mine has a Texas first three not Colorado according to the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
My elementary school used our SSN as a student ID number for a year. It was printed on report cards, in the student directory booklet, on test score sheets taped to the wall, and so on.