Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The first 3 digits of your SSN are tied to where you were born. Until A few years ago..? somewhat recently anyway.

I just had to update some software to take into account the new valid SSN range when verifying that what was supplied was minimally compliant.

The first three digits were opened up from being under 772 to being under 900 and they will be randomly assigned from now on.

I had a bit of a laugh though, because the only 3 digit combo under 900 they were blocking was 666.

I mean I guess the government has to take that poo poo into account for the crazies but I found it pretty funny so I thought I would share it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
If you're in the 300s you're cool. 400s? You suck butts.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I just noticed the date on the form, and its been a thing since 2011 apparently. I didn't know?

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/randomization.html

SSN randomization affected the SSN assignment process in the following ways:

It eliminated the geographical significance of the first three digits of the SSN, referred to as the area number, by no longer allocating the area numbers for assignment to individuals in specific states.

It eliminated the significance of the highest group number and, as a result, the High Group List is frozen in time and can only be used to see the area and group numbers SSA issued prior to the randomization implementation date.

Previously unassigned area numbers were introduced for assignment excluding area numbers 000, 666 and 900-999.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mine starts with a 0

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

they should let you opt in to 666 I'd totally do it

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

mine starts with a 0

not possible friend :D

quote:

excluding area numbers 000, 666 and 900-999

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

they should let you opt in to 666 I'd totally do it

like a vanity plate, but extra stupid because it ties all your benefits as a US citizen to this joke

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it is possible. put a zero to the left of any integer and it's still the same number. and don't give me that garbage about a leading zero indicating octal notation, nobody uses octal notation.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

its not possible the digits are well define... here you go: a list of valid numbers and what state you were born in as of 2011 lol

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm

kinda hosed up

edit: as per the website... this is THIS DATA IS STRICTLY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES

If the US gov had to say that I felt like I should probably repeat it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wendigee posted:

not possible friend :D

Mine starts with a zero too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i just wrote mine down on a sheet of paper. i wrote 3 zeros to the left. i did the math twice, and it's still the same number.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's not my fault if some web form doesn't understand the way numbers work. the number is the number, no matter how many leading zeros.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i mean trap sprung i guess, but i just wasn't paying attention to the guidelines

turns out anyone with a number starting at * lives in....

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm

well

sorry you doxxed yourselves to one of like 5 or 6 states... where the gently caress is nom eqipue

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 21, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yes I did.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

anyway i just thought this was pretty crazy and interesting so everyone go and find out peoples first 3 digits for fun and trivia

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Yes I did.

do you do paperwork and account creation or just really up to date on government document formats?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wendigee posted:

do you do paperwork and account creation or just really up to date on government document formats?
Just some piece of trivia I picked up somewhere v:shobon:v

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I do it for work. I didn't pick it up somewhere?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I knew because I'm a huge fuckin dork

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol this list is both incomplete and inaccurate, pretty big blunder by the government org that's supposed to own these

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

lol this list is both incomplete and inaccurate, pretty big blunder by the government org that's supposed to own these

well i guess we will have good evidence if they try to claim we didn't verify the basic data...

do you have a link with all the rules that are missing? this code change was just the first 3 digits so.. if your rules are outside the Area Number it wont be a problem

Do the GG and SSSS have significance too?

"AAA-GG-SSSS"

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

my SO and I are from same area at same time in extremely rural area except my family moved not long after I was born and last 4 of our SSNs are not that far apart (the secret four numbers ssh)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

yeah its just the first 3 that are for region and tracking... i got a twin sibling and our numbers are pretty different except the first 3 so i figure it was randomized at least a bit all the way back to 1988

i would like to know if anyone has worked with the GG or SSSS areas to chime if there was other info

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 21, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wendigee posted:

well i guess we will have good evidence if they try to claim we didn't verify the basic data...

do you have a link with all the rules that are missing? this code change was just the first 3 digits so.. if your rules are outside the Area Number it wont be a problem

i don't know what the best source is, but found another list on google.

i'm not gonna DOXX MYSELF but i will say that my (not zero padded) 3 digit prefix isn't associated with the right state in the ssa.gov link you posted, but it shows up correctly here:
https://www.nigc.gov/images/uploads/9a-%20List%20of%20Social%20Security%20Numbers%20for%20Each%20State%20Extra%20Handout.pdf

i was born after 1973 and before 2011, which is the time period that ssa.gov list claims to represent

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol thank you I will take a look at that when I'm off my mobile. I appreciate it now I'm curious as hell who hosed up

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

enumeration at birth also didn't start until 1987.

i was already in elementary school and had moved a bunch by the time i got mine

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm not gonna DOXX MYSELF but i will say that my (not zero padded) 3 digit prefix isn't associated with the right state in the ssa.gov link you posted, but it shows up correctly here:
https://www.nigc.gov/images/uploads/9a-%20List%20of%20Social%20Security%20Numbers%20for%20Each%20State%20Extra%20Handout.pdf

i was born after 1973 and before 2011, which is the time period that ssa.gov list claims to represent

are you sure you know who your father is?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That's for not doxxing yourself :love:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Private Cumshoe posted:

Lol... Pretty sure it's based on location of birth, not the parents dwelling

Like the medical facility that your mother went to.

I don't think crunchy mom's used to exist and I don't care how they get their kids birth certs because they probably won't live that long

I went dark

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Private Cumshoe posted:

i can't answer this, already given away too much personal information. next you'll want to know about my student loans.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Bad Purchase posted:

next you'll want to know about my student loans.

lol sure buddy

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

i can't answer this, already given away too much personal information. next you'll want to know about my student loans.

Lol 🤣 nice.. he never will though

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Private Cumshoe posted:

lol sure buddy

It's a joke. Search nom epique if you must.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002027&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

my ssn is ***-**-**** please don't hack or scam me

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

do you work it for a job?

do you have student loan debt?

just asking

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

huh?

the pdf you sent matches the ssa.gov website

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

tell me more

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm old enough that I didn't have a SS number at birth but got one later. I was living in a different state by then so suck it op.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

that's very interesting OP. Could you share your SSN with me via PM, and also your credit card number, expiration date and the 3 digit security number. I will use it to take all your money, maybe buy a new GPU. Wait, did I say take your money, I meant milk your bank account for all you're worth. Hold on, that's not right, I meant I want to nigerian-prince-scam your rear end all the way to poverty. Did I say scam? I meant investment. Have you heard about crypto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My offer is open to anyone who wants to take advantage of this unique opportunity. ACT NOW $$$$$