Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

also the first thing we did in iraq after overthrowing the government was to totally dismantle and privatize any civil services rather than try to use them to restore the country to any kind of functioning order because the people in charge of rebuilding were free market ideologues
john dolan has this article about working in a new american model school set up in kurdistan. half the people working there didnt give a gently caress about doing their jobs because they were getting paid six figures to just show up, and the other half cared waaaay more about trying to convert the kurds to christianity than teaching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

permabanned posted:

That's all bullshit.
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/mdg/SeriesDetail.aspx?srid=656

Eve of the war (and this is after nearly ten years of sanctions), close to 85% literacy rate. Says the UN, not the Iraqi government. They're not a bunch of camel-loving Bedouin. Here is a thing UNESCO did which also amounts to "we hosed up their education system but people can still read, and their teachers are trying if they're not fleeing or dying".

And if you think any 1930s economy compares to any 2000s economy, that is lol.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 7, 2014

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

FreudianSlippers posted:

A lot of the insurgents are dudes who would've been executed as enemies of the state in Saddam's day.

lmbo yeah them drat uppity sunnis were always getting under saddam's skin

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

sadam owned

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

jBrereton posted:

Eve of the war (and this is after nearly ten years of sanctions), close to 85% literacy rate. Says the UN, not the Iraqi government. They're not a bunch of camel-loving Bedouin. Here is a thing UNESCO did which also amounts to "we hosed up their education system but people can still read, and their teachers are trying if they're not fleeing or dying".

don't bother using logic on him. he's a soldier who helped destroy that civilization

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

butplug accident posted:

don't bother using logic on him. he's a soldier who helped destroy that civilization
Also it's boring and not funny, sorry, readers.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
im from the usa and i say we kill them all!

permabanned
Aug 12, 2008

優しい野菜

butplug accident posted:

Truly? That's interesting... Now, tell me more about it.

jBrereton posted:

That's interesting, but unfortunately not relevant - the Iraq economy is and was based on imports, all the while the tribalism, cultural sense of entitlement and religion problem still stand. Japan attained 100% basic literacy rates before 1904.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Just give all of the Middle East to the Kurds.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Sancho posted:

sadam owned

he was actually very good at keeping the peace and these assholes in check as his people had no problem resorting to brutal violence and torture, a language these people understand very well

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets invade iraq

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

butplug accident posted:

that's what you have to tell yourselves to relieve the guilt of your gently caress ups

goddamn you're on a roll here.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Chris Awful posted:

How did the U.S. do so well in Japan with setting up a new government and yet so bad in Iraq? Does the U.S. need to drop some MOABs on a few highly populated cities to crush the will of the terrorist?

perhaps the stone age people of iraq are a little different?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

baw posted:

anyway this can be the official thread to post about iraq's slow descent into anarchy and ethnic cleansing

this can be the thread where your posts suck

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
good insult

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

butplug accident posted:

"civilization"

lol

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

baw posted:

good insult

thanks

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lord Tywin posted:

Just give all of the Middle East to the Kurds.
Save some for the Palestinian Authority. Peace is now possible.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

also the first thing we did in iraq after overthrowing the government was to totally dismantle and privatize any civil services rather than try to use them to restore the country to any kind of functioning order because the people in charge of rebuilding were free market ideologues

Yeah, everything about the way the U.S. handled the occupation was pretty much a dismal failure. The invasion force was actually significantly smaller than the one deployed in the Gulf War, which meant they were unable to secure the military stocks of the old state and a lot of it ended up with militants. All members of the Baath party were banned from government and since membership in the party was a requirement for participation in government and civil services under Hussayn, there was literally no skilled natives allowed to run things. The worst thing they did was disbanding the entire Iraqi military, which left thousands of trained and armed men unemployed and embittered. Paul Bremmer, the head of state of the occupation government was all sorts of incompetent; if I remember right, he didn't even speak Arabic. His incompetence and sheltered style of rule condemned hundreds of thousands of people to death and poverty.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i rly hope i can go to iraq for a vacation before i die

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

baw posted:

i hope you go there soon

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Greed is eternal posted:

I hope the next president have enough balls to leave Iraq. Considering it might be Clinton, it is not looking that hopeful.

There haven't been any American forces in Iraq since Dec 2011 dude.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

baw posted:

the two events will probs be connected

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fandyien posted:

imo we should return Iraq the entire middle east to Turkey

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

isn't turkey going having a thing of Neo-Ottomanism atm anyways?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we could've subjugated Iraq like Japan if we put a million men in there, installed a morally questionable general as supreme leader of Iraq, declared martial law and were allowed to carry out summary executions in the street

we really can't commit overt war crimes like we could in the good old days

baw
Nov 5, 2008

erdogan is kinda autocratic but i dont think he has any imperial ambitions and zildjian is located in massachusetts now so they won't have any way to frighten their enemies

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

we could've subjugated Iraq like Japan if we put a million men in there, installed a morally questionable general as supreme leader of Iraq, declared martial law and were allowed to carry out summary executions in the street

we really can't commit overt war crimes like we could in the good old days

hey
what if we didn't invade instead and used the money we spent on things the Iraq war could of paid for?
like a mars colony

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
iraq death tolls

for shame, america

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 7, 2014

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
US soldiers committing suicide is justice, not a tragedy

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lawman 0 posted:

hey
what if we didn't invade instead and used the money we spent on things the Iraq war could of paid for?
like a mars colony

cant kill coloreds on Mars

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

"civilization"

lol

cradle of civilisation motherfucker

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Gobblecoque posted:

natives allowed to run things

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Zzulu posted:

iraq death tolls

for shame, america

maybe spend 4 seconds thinking about who killed all those people

im having trouble picturing how retarded, ignorant, and insensitive someone could be to post that and "for shame america" in a loving thread where those same people who killed the overwhelming majority of those people are now holding hundreds of people hostage. Presumably taking a break from "car bomb in crowded civilian market number #459". Get bent

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 7, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

cant kill coloreds on Mars

what if you imported them to play the most dangerous game? :mrgw:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

wid posted:

Japan was never a country teetering on civil war due to religious/tribal differences.

This.

Iraq as a country has effectively been a Sunni/Shiite/Kurd civil war since day 1.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 7, 2014

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
We need a new arms race to see who can lay waste to most of the Middle East with only drones.

If they are going to kill each other, their lives are already wasted it, why not get some new technology out of it?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
hey lf is back now, great *puke*

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Liquid Communism posted:

This.

Iraq as a country has effectively been a Sunni/Shiite/Kurt civil war since day 1.

the british looked after iraq without the country going to poo poo, get your excuses in americans

but it did go nazi for a bit, but we stomped on that

kurds- churchill showed the way by gassing them

General China fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wid posted:

Japan was never a country teetering on civil war due to tribal differences.
This is like the least true statement ever.

• Locked thread