Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite hardware bug
pentium fdiv bug
pentium f00f bug
cyrix coma bug
View Results

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

what is lock elision?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6290/making-sense-of-intel-haswell-transactional-synchronization-extensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
pretend to grab a lock but dont do it because thats slow

if someone else touches your poo poo say AW gently caress and back the gently caress up

try again but sheepishly grab the lock this time

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
also hey idiot op the singular form of errata is erratum

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BONGHITZ posted:

so why is this tsx thing good?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Transactional Synchronization Extensions (TSX) is an extension to the x86 instruction set architecture that adds hardware transactional memory support, speeding up execution of multi-threaded software through lock elision.

this is actually a very cool thing. basically, synchronizing threads between cores is something that saps a lot of performance. transactional memory lets a thread just try what it wants to do and if it later finds that there was a collision with another thread, that memory transaction can be discarded and the memory state rolled back so the thread can retry it. this means that if collisions are rare then there is very little synchronization overhead in most cases.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
oh holy poo poo it's hardware transactional memory. i've been wondering when they would do that ever since i heard of software transactional memory. gently caress a lock imo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they're just trying to compensate for their overly strong memory model

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the idea with TM is that you perform a series of transactional reads and writes, and the TM system remembers everything you saw and did. at some point you tell the system to apply the transaction, and it atomically validates all the reads and, if they check out, applies the writes. TM is all about optimistically doing a bunch of stuff and then retroactively verifying that it was okay, which in principle lets you achieve much better concurrency than using locks to prevent other threads from touching the things that you might be writing to just in case there's a conflict. the trade-off is that a thread might waste a ton of time building up a transaction only to see it cancelled. that also means there's a risk that a large transaction might never be applied because a continual stream of small transactions keeps violating its preconditions. anyway, people have been emulating this in software for awhile, but it's much more efficient to do it in hardware, which is why they were excited when Intel added hardware support, although sun had a research sparc chip with HTM years ago

it's not a passive optimization for existing programs; you have to structure your code completely differently and use a bunch of new instructions

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000

The Management posted:

they're just trying to compensate for their overly strong memory model
Yeah like Azul did with their weak-ordering Vega processors or Sun's failed Rock core or IBM's Power8 that both support relaxed ordering.

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

is this still in??

what

I have an i5. the best one btw.
but
now I have started seveloping a game and maybe an i7 would hax my compile times

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
ecchi when is it going early access

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

rjmccall posted:

the idea with TM is that you perform a series of transactional reads and writes, and the TM system remembers everything you saw and did. at some point you tell the system to apply the transaction, and it atomically validates all the reads and, if they check out, applies the writes. TM is all about optimistically doing a bunch of stuff and then retroactively verifying that it was okay, which in principle lets you achieve much better concurrency than using locks to prevent other threads from touching the things that you might be writing to just in case there's a conflict. the trade-off is that a thread might waste a ton of time building up a transaction only to see it cancelled. that also means there's a risk that a large transaction might never be applied because a continual stream of small transactions keeps violating its preconditions. anyway, people have been emulating this in software for awhile, but it's much more efficient to do it in hardware, which is why they were excited when Intel added hardware support, although sun had a research sparc chip with HTM years ago

it's not a passive optimization for existing programs; you have to structure your code completely differently and use a bunch of new instructions

iirc you only have to link against a version of glibc that uses it and use a compiler that supports it like icc v13 or gcc 4.8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

ecchi when is it going early access

I've spent
about 2 hours on it so very soon I guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sudo Echo posted:

iirc you only have to link against a version of glibc that uses it and use a compiler that supports it like icc v13 or gcc 4.8

yes but if u don't code for it it's not going to take grey davatange of it is the point of it

Once I read a book it was about assembler but not it was like "this is how processors actually work and so using this knowledge u can program in c efficiently or not"

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

echo whats your game about

give me your elevator pitch

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

what

I have an i5. the best one btw.
but
now I have started seveloping a game and maybe an i7 would hax my compile times

i thought maybe was still going http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Upgrade_Service

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
lock elision lmao nice I bet that will be useful for babbies who don't already code everything lock-free

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
they should call them taswell cpus

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Menacer posted:

also hey idiot op the singular form of errata is erratum

hey, i just copied the article

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

echo whats your game about

give me your elevator pitch

a side scrolling rocket/thruster game with different rocket/vehicles you can buy [which have different functions which are needed to achieve different levels requirwments] and I
hope to include a quirky YOSPOS style of humour [eg idea I had was one of the characters u could be was self-diagnoses aspergers who lives in basement] and back story etc which is wack [co it's all
about the gameplay but why not include hosed up story rigjt] I've made rudimentary rocket prototype and yeah I honestly feel more passionate about this project than I have about anything in my life for ages. I
took need week off work even maybe to work on it? [will likely spend time doing much-overdue
house chores and child things]

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

rock solid

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sudo Echo posted:

im saying it's not like your code written with pthread_mutex_lock will magically have it's locks elides, you have to rewrite your critical sections to use the new TM apis. there might be a few builtin atomic operations that get faster because you can't otherwise do them locklessly, liking assigning to an _Atomic(struct bigger_than_two_pointers), and maybe there's some cache somewhere within glibc that benefits, but otherwise it requires user action

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

rjmccall posted:

im saying it's not like your code written with pthread_mutex_lock will magically have it's locks elides, you have to rewrite your critical sections to use the new TM apis. there might be a few builtin atomic operations that get faster because you can't otherwise do them locklessly, liking assigning to an _Atomic(struct bigger_than_two_pointers), and maybe there's some cache somewhere within glibc that benefits, but otherwise it requires user action

they're backwards compatible though, iirc. if the processor doesn't support tm, it falls back to working as an exclusive lock

and i think it should be possible to use them for normal structures like hash maps? you don't want to use them for more database-style large transactional operations, i think, because it's hard to know how much memory you can use

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yes, you should be able to make a very good concurrent data structure with TM, although reallocating transactions might have trouble being applied under contention. it is probably impossible to meaningfully satisfy the general STL requirements tho, so there isn't a standard concurrent map that could be silently upgraded to use TM

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BONGHITZ posted:

what is lock elision?

isn't he that rear end in a top hat billionare who owns oracle and races yachts

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

~Coxy posted:

lol

• Locked thread