Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

didn't iOS7 introduce this with just the software update? the one everyone turned off because it made them "nauseous" or whatever? why did that require special hardware for the fire phone?

no they actually had 4 separate front-facing cameras on each corner of the phone instead of just using the accelerometer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

any time i have to deal with amazon customer service i am legit shocked at how good it is
yeah, i wanted to return a dead tree book and get the kindle version, so i just did the online refund thing and they refunded me and said "keep the book!" so that was cool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
they were cool when i was registering a amazon business thing too. i put the wrong addy so it couldnt validate my identity or smth and i called and they just reset it and let me try again. FTW

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

And team members simply could not imagine truly useful applications for Dynamic Perspective. As far as anyone could tell, Bezos was in search of the Fire Phone’s version of Siri, a signature feature that could make the device a blockbuster. But what was the point, they wondered, beyond some fun gaming interactions and flashy 3-D lock screens. “In meetings, all Jeff talked about was, ‘3-D, 3-D, 3-D!’ He had this childlike excitement about the feature and no one could understand why,” recalls a former engineering head who worked solely on Dynamic Perspective for years. “We poured surreal amounts of money into it, yet we all thought it had no value for the customer, which was the biggest irony. Whenever anyone asked why we were doing this, the answer was, ‘Because Jeff wants it.’ No one thought the feature justified the cost to the project. No one. Absolutely no one.”

ah yes, siri, the big killer feature that made iphone successful. so successful, in fact, that it went back in time and made the three? iphone models that never had it into successes

it's hilarious to me how all of apple's competitors think that the only reason iphone is successful is because it had siri as a big "wow" feature, and that they'll be able to beat apple if they come up with a big dumb marketing feature or siri competitor of their own

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 9, 2015

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Siri is pretty useless except for the odd times when im like hey siri whats the temperature outside my nuts are freezing to the walls of my thighs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well you don't have to use siri to use an iphone successfully but you do have to suffer through bezosvision if you want to use a fire phone

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
yeah but for some reason apples competitors think siri is the only reason anyone uses iphones and that sole concern in an iphone competitor is to come up with a "siri killer" feature

see also: all those windows phone commercials centered entirely around "here is a thing our siri knockoff does that the iphone siri doesn't"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

bezosvision

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Siri is pretty useless except for the odd times when im like hey siri whats the temperature outside my nuts are freezing to the walls of my thighs

use siri to set timers and reminders she is really good at these things

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

not alarms though because she just adds a new alarm every time you set one to a new time so you end up with a list of like 20 alarms

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

use siri to set timers and reminders she is really good at these things

short texts like "i'm on my way" while driving can be handy.

me "call mom"

repeat infinitely {
siri: "I don't know who your mother is what is her name"
Me: "andrea blahblah"
siri: "do you want me to remember that andrea blahblah is your mother"
Me: "yes"
}

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

short texts like "i'm on my way" while driving can be handy.

Okay, I've sent your message "I'm oh my gay"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

grandma no

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
each firephone can host 1-3 aws micro instances, which may or may not be owned by you.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
the flaming cloud phone.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

not alarms though because she just adds a new alarm every time you set one to a new time so you end up with a list of like 20 alarms

'change my alarm to...'

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

“In essence, we were not building the phone for the customer—we were building it for Jeff.”

:psyduck:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

“In essence, we were not building the phone for the customer—we were building it for Tim.”

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah but for some reason apples competitors think siri is the only reason anyone uses iphones and that sole concern in an iphone competitor is to come up with a "siri killer" feature

see also: all those windows phone commercials centered entirely around "here is a thing our siri knockoff does that the iphone siri doesn't"
i think it's just because apple used siri in their keynotes and in ads and things, so everyone else desperately wants a voice to attach to their devices that people instantly recognize and say "oh yeah that's the voice of cortana" or "that's the voice of an amazon cylinder"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

the voice of an amazon cylinder

mods

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Page 2 and no one has said "Jeff Bozos" yet, SMDH

:ughh:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Jeff Bezos is the king of "me-too" so IDK what the gently caress he's talking about with this turning Amazon into the next Nike or Apple or whatever.

He even has Blue Origin, his me-too Rich Guy Aerospace Company.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Doc Block posted:

joke's on you it's in the thread title

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:negative:

fuuuuuuck

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

quoting for shame

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
siri and google now and all that poo poo are terrible and i cant use them nd it's just a bad experience every time i try

(i've only used google now)

i'm sure it could be at least a little bit useful if i learned how to deal with all of it but gently caress i just dont care about having a voice controlled phone

someday this will be an awesome feature that everything has but there are so many kinks to work out between now and then

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

i think it's just because apple used siri in their keynotes and in ads and things, so everyone else desperately wants a voice to attach to their devices that people instantly recognize and say "oh yeah that's the voice of cortana" or "that's the voice of an amazon cylinder"

how would anyone recognize the voice of cortana, they always use an obvious voice actress in ads

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that MS named their voice control thing after a stupid video game thing.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what if like, the phone, was 3d, man ..what if, hahaha, it tracked ur vision and poo poo *takes MASSIVE hit from bong*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pram posted:

what if like, the phone, was 3d, man ..what if, hahaha, it tracked ur vision and poo poo *takes MASSIVE hit from bong*
what if like the phone was the human and you were the phone :420:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

joke's on you it's in the thread title

lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:milk:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
mods change my name to jeff benzos addiction

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jeffrey of BEZOS

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Jeff BeOS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

LOL that MS named their voice control thing after a stupid video game thing.

some manager probably got a hundred thousand bonus for coming up with that cross-promotion idea

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

some manager probably got a hundred thousand bonus for coming up with that cross-promotion idea

quirex_failing-upwards.txt

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it was the only ms produced character people didn't actively hate. their next option was Dr Watson

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh bob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

clippy, the millenials love him

• Locked thread