Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The League is just a straight up Co-Op covenant, there's no grand goal, just a bunch of dudes who banded together to hunt monsters, they aren't really involved with the game's plot either since Valtr and the League Covenant were added in the patch that bought the Old Hunters DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

By the way, in case there is anyone who doesn;t know, you do NOT want to GIS 'tonsil stone'. It will bring about a new phobia in you.

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

Oh hey, EVE goons LPing Bloodborne! Gonna follow this.

Lyris Chronicles of Nairnia, Intrepid Skycaptain From the World of Tomorrow's Goonfleet Dot Com.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mercykiller posted:

Lyris Chronicles of Nairnia, Intrepid Skycaptain From the World of Tomorrow's Goonfleet Dot Com.

Hi space friend!

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Dude, I was able to perform an appendectomy at age 14. I think I can handle a couple of shrooms.
Update: 09. Forbidden Woods pt. 2, Shadows of Yharnam

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The proper term is a Katamari of snakes. :science:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I do think the designers of the game realized that this place is real easy to get lost in, hence them putting in so many shining coins.

An interesting thing to note about those Star-children; their blood is yellow, not red like humans or beasts.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Rangpur posted:

It exists on the other side of that funky magic door from the climax of Order of the Phoenix. You can read all about it in :siren:My Fanfiction.:siren:

Oh yeah, Rowling never did go anywhere with that, did she?

And isn't that the door that Harry's weird sorta-werewolf not-uncle disappear... in... to... :aaa:

I do not think Sirius is having a good time in Yharnam. :ohdear:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If I remember correctly that door is literally the door to the afterlife.

Also the threaded cane is a really good weapon even in whip mode as long as you are aware of what's around you. It actually makes that walk through the mob early on if you take out the shield guys first because you can cach up to 4 of those guys in the swing zone, which should keep interrupting their attacks. It's also the fastest strong attack charge outside your barehand, which makes it very good for chaining visceral attacks, even on enemies you can't usually do that on.

Also I personally think the really big Gravestones, like the ones in the Shadows of Yharnam fight belong to Pthumerians. Specifically Pthumerian Monarchs because the name of the lantern killing the Shadows spawns is forbidden Gravesite and I think I know who's buried there. Interestingly the fact that the doorkeeper is from Byrgenwerth suggests the Church only named the woods Forbidden because he locked the door in the first place.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Dude, I was able to perform an appendectomy at age 14. I think I can handle a couple of shrooms.
Update: 10. Byrgenwerth, Rom

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Update: 11. Cainhurst Castle pt. 1

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I believe killing Father Gasgoine is the trigger for Iosefka to be killed and replaced by the imposter, many people probably won't realize a change but both women have slightly different voices.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So one thing you didn't touch up on in the video: the ghost ladies are blind, which is why they don't react to you unless you make noise or come very close, move slowly and erratically swing weapons in your general direction. The primary effect of the mark is letting them see you, and, as we saw, it makes them waaaay more dangerous. Also, they're invisible until startled or approached very closely, which mitigates the whole blindness weakness somewhat.

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

Aumanor posted:

So one thing you didn't touch up on in the video: the ghost ladies are blind, which is why they don't react to you unless you make noise or come very close, move slowly and erratically swing weapons in your general direction. The primary effect of the mark is letting them see you, and, as we saw, it makes them waaaay more dangerous. Also, they're invisible until startled or approached very closely, which mitigates the whole blindness weakness somewhat.

I wonder if this is a product of too much insight.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mercykiller posted:

I wonder if this is a product of too much insight.

I'd say the opposite since they are utterly blind. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I don't think Rom is kin; Kin have yellow blood (with the exception of the blood-starved beast) - and Iosefka's blood vial is yellow as well.

The theory I heard re. that blood is that human blood in the game is inherently 'beastly' - application of the Church's healing blood will always result in the person succumbing to the scourge. But if you remove the taint, refine the blood, turn it yellow, humans do not turn into beasts, but turn into Kin. So, in a way, Ioesfka WAS trying to stop the scourge,

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Samovar posted:

I don't think Rom is kin; Kin have yellow blood (with the exception of the blood-starved beast) - and Iosefka's blood vial is yellow as well.

The theory I heard re. that blood is that human blood in the game is inherently 'beastly' - application of the Church's healing blood will always result in the person succumbing to the scourge. But if you remove the taint, refine the blood, turn it yellow, humans do not turn into beasts, but turn into Kin. So, in a way, Ioesfka WAS trying to stop the scourge,

I guess I could see that. Rom is definitely either kin or just straight up a great one. She was granted eyes by Kos, and I believe I've captured footage of the dialogue that confirms this. No spoilers without tags if you want to talk about it. My blind co-pilots haven't seen it yet.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Here's the thing about Beasts and Kin, they're all from the same source. Humans who have had Blood Ministration all become more than human by nature of that ministration, the first ministration perfects all defaults, heals all injuries and cures all diseases. Then based on their actions, which Blood was used, the purity of the Blood and how much they used different things happen. As all the Healing Blood that the church uses comes from Ebrieatas or someone who has had the ministration done to them with the blood of Ebrieatas, the difference between Beast and Kin has nothing to do with the Great One blood being used. Rom and Amelia both became large and powerful because they had a lot of Blood in them and knew a good deal about what they were getting into. Amelia knew that the scourge was being caused by Blood Ministration and allowed herself to fall to protect the secrets of the Church. Rom ascended for Willem so as to Gaurd against the foolish Rituals of the Church. The Cleric Beast and Gascoigne fought against the scourge nightly and slowly the bloodlust reached their very being and stripped them of all identity beyond hunting prey like a beast.

I think the Caryll runes also have something to do with this, like a non-hunter accumulates Caryll runes through action until the Eldritch Words change what they are. Something in the DLC supports this notion too.

Cainhurst is interesting because the inhuman Vilebloods come from a very specific blood being ministered, and I'll probably share what I think happened once it's done.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 3, 2016

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What's your take on things like the Bloodlickers, Gargoyles, Snakefriends, and other such things that are clearly somewhere on the beast end of the beast-kin spectrum, but don't really seem to display any of the usual lupine/canine traits that most beasts display?

EDIT: I mean, I agree with your interpretation, particularly as regards the strains of blood being used, but I'm still a little unclear where these fuckers fit in.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blood lickers and Gargoyles are unique for the same reason the Vileblood's themselves are unique, as the other place they exist is pretty important. Snakes are the same as the giant crows and rabid dogs, animals who have eaten human/beast flesh and been minorly transformed, snake men have baby parasitic snakes inside them. The Shadows in particular have managed to take control of their own parasites because they themselves are rather inhuman.

Also before I forget this is a good place for the cane, as it's the fastest Righteous weapon in the game, all Cainhurst enemies take 10-20% bonus damage from Righteous weapons based on the weapon. Most Church weapons are Righteous to some extent, and the cane in particular can stun lock all Cainhurst Enemies. The main use of the Blades of Mercy in my opinion is to deal with the Hunter style bosses because they are the fastest weapon in the game when transformed and can stun lock hunters, who can escape almost every other weapon.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I suppose. Just the Vilebloods and the Lickers seem a bit different.
Then again, what the gently caress is up wit the Flourescent Flower?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Flourescent Flowers are inhabitants of the Cosmos. They aren't Kin so I guess they're just creatures that show up near Great Ones, as they're also in the Chalice Dungeons which are the "Tombs of the Gods".

The Vilebloods and Lickers are different for the same reason the Scourge Beasts and Giants are different. The same blood can produce multiple evolutions based on the person and their actions.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Rom ascended for Willem so as to Gaurd against the foolish Rituals of the Church. The Cleric Beast and Gascoigne fought against the scourge nightly and slowly the bloodlust reached their very being and stripped them of all identity beyond hunting prey like a beast.

I disagree with this. There is the note on the way in to Oedon Chapel that states "The Byrgenwerth Spider hides all manner of rituals, and keeps our lost master from us". I think Rom hid the church's rituals from the common Yharnamite, and specifically kept ex-Byrgenwerth scholars from finding Master Willem. Perhaps this was the will of Laurence to simultaneously hide what the church was really up to while keeping potential defectors from going back to Willem?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The lost Master is not Willem, as Willem can be reached without messing with Rom. They're talking about Micolash, because you can't get to the Nightmare of Mensis without Rom dying because Rom is stopping the ritual of Yahar'Gul from completing. Or Mergo for the same reason. Willem is against the actions of the Church, because Laurence forgot the old adage, or at least failed to follow it as the Church does not fear the Old Blood at all, they embrace it and worship it and use it constantly.

Most importantly Rom is one of the scholars of Byrgenwerth who didn't follow Laurence, she continued to work with Willem and was his successful attempt at ascension. Although in performing the ritual Willem lost his own chance as it left him unable to move or communicate.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 3, 2016

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

The lost Master is not Willem, as Willem can be reached without messing with Rom. They're talking about Micolash, because you can't get to the Nightmare of Mensis without Rom dying because Rom is stopping the ritual of Yahar'Gul from completing. Or Mergo for the same reason. Willem is against the actions of the Church, because Laurence forgot the old adage, or at least failed to follow it as the Church does not fear the Old Blood at all, they embrace it and worship it and use it constantly.

Most importantly Rom is one of the scholars of Byrgenwerth who didn't follow Laurence, she continued to work with Willem and was his successful attempt at ascension. Although in performing the ritual Willem lost his own chance as it left him unable to move or communicate.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it does make a lot of sense. I assumed they meant Willem, because he is the only person referred to as "Master". However, this other person could be considered something of a master as well, more specifically a provost of a certain competing college.

Though, it makes less sense when you consider Willem pointed you towards Rom, and that Rom was indeed hiding the ritual. An argument could be made that she was enabling the ritual to succeed, shrouded in secrecy so no one could stop it.

notlupus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 3, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think From based the game around a few central plot concepts, threw in whatever they thought was cool, and left it to the fans to fill in the details.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The thing is the Ritual only succeeds when you kill Rom. Willem might not even be telling you to kill Rom, he just points at her. He might be saying go speak to my pet Great One and realise that your hunt is a bad idea. Either that or Willem can't tell Rom to stop holding back the ritual but wants you to end the Hunt and so decides that killing Rom is better than leaving things as they are. Either way Rom isn't helping with any ritual as far as I can tell.

Rom and the Moonside Lake are sort of like an eldritch dream catcher, they hold the Nightmare back from reality. Hence killing her allows the Blood Moon to descend and causes the Amygdala to appear, as killing her breaks the veil between reality and the Dreamlands of the Great Ones. Amygdala are the Great Ones who have the easiest time manifesting because their power involves moving people between the Dreamlands and Reality.

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I think From based the game around a few central plot concepts, threw in whatever they thought was cool, and left it to the fans to fill in the details.

I still think this is all some kind of really hosed up fever dream. We've got a lot of almost Silent Hill levels of implied poo poo.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Update: 12. Cainhurst Castle pt. 2, Logarius

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So here's what I'm pretty sure is going on with Logarius. He discovers that Annalise is indeed immortal and martyrs himself as her jailer, to insure she cannot create any more Vilebloods. Hence why he's standing watch, he refuses to let you meet her because then you'd become another Vileblood.

Also the Vilebloods do have a different source of Blood to the Church. Specifically the scholars of Byrgenwerth called the blood taken to Cainhurst Forbidden. I personally think it's the blood of Yharnam, the Pthumerian Queen. Also the job of Vilebloods is to provide Annalise with Blood Dregs, so she may bear a Child of Blood.

Basically Annalise wants you to help her get pregnant by drinking a lot of Blood Dregs, which are the essence of a specific Great One.

I think it went down like this, the Scholar arrives in Cainhurst with the Forbidden Blood, he offers it to Annalise with promises of a rule eternal, she accepts and becomes the first Vileblood, doing so gives her an audience with a Great One who gives her the Corruption Rune and knowledge of how to bear a Child of Blood. Annalise than transforms the other nobles, servants and knights of Cainhurst into Vilebloods who will collect the Blood Dregs. The Blood Dregs are easiest to find within Hunters of the Church, the Church takes exception to people killing their Hunters and sends Logarius and his Executioners to Cainhurst, the Executioners massacre all the Vilebloods except Annalise who will not die. Logarius elects to stay behind and the Executioners return to the City, meanwhile the servants who hid and the Vileblood ghosts re-inhabit the castle but none of them are strong enough to kill Logarius.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
More or less my take.
What I find somewhat interesting is how we know nothing of the Scholar(s) who stole away the blood to Cainhurst. I would have expected them to show up as an NPC Hunter maybe in Cainhurst, or more likely something in the DLC or something.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's at least one Hunter in game with ties to Cainhurst unaccounted for though. He might be the scholar, especially as his gear is such a mix of different groups that I'm pretty sure he's some sort of thief.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Not only was Logarius guarding the entrance to the Vileblood Sanctum to keep people from meeting Annalise, but I'd wager the Executioners were the ones responsible for putting an illusion over it in the first place, with only Logarius' crown as the key.

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

So here's what I'm pretty sure is going on with Logarius. He discovers that Annalise is indeed immortal and martyrs himself as her jailer, to insure she cannot create any more Vilebloods. Hence why he's standing watch, he refuses to let you meet her because then you'd become another Vileblood.

Also the Vilebloods do have a different source of Blood to the Church. Specifically the scholars of Byrgenwerth called the blood taken to Cainhurst Forbidden. I personally think it's the blood of Yharnam, the Pthumerian Queen. Also the job of Vilebloods is to provide Annalise with Blood Dregs, so she may bear a Child of Blood.

Basically Annalise wants you to help her get pregnant by drinking a lot of Blood Dregs, which are the essence of a specific Great One.

I think it went down like this, the Scholar arrives in Cainhurst with the Forbidden Blood, he offers it to Annalise with promises of a rule eternal, she accepts and becomes the first Vileblood, doing so gives her an audience with a Great One who gives her the Corruption Rune and knowledge of how to bear a Child of Blood. Annalise than transforms the other nobles, servants and knights of Cainhurst into Vilebloods who will collect the Blood Dregs. The Blood Dregs are easiest to find within Hunters of the Church, the Church takes exception to people killing their Hunters and sends Logarius and his Executioners to Cainhurst, the Executioners massacre all the Vilebloods except Annalise who will not die. Logarius elects to stay behind and the Executioners return to the City, meanwhile the servants who hid and the Vileblood ghosts re-inhabit the castle but none of them are strong enough to kill Logarius.

So about the spoilers :colbert:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The only thing there we haven't already seen is something we won't ever see because it's in the Chalice Dungeons. Everything else is information we could know at this point by talking more to Annalise/Alfred or looking at items associated to either of them.

Heck Castle Cainhurst and it's associated lore isn't even part of the main story, nor is it really connected beyond being started by a Scholar of Byrgenwerth and occurring in roughly the same location.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 5, 2016

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

The only thing there we haven't already seen is something we won't ever see because it's in the Chalice Dungeons. Everything else is information we could know at this point by talking more to Annalise/Alfred or looking at items associated to either of them.

Heck Castle Cainhurst and it's associated lore isn't even part of the main story, nor is it really connected beyond being started by a Scholar of Byrgenwerth and occurring in roughly the same location.

Yes, because the lore bits to put the story of a From game together are always laying in the middle of the most obvious path.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You know, this game really nails atmosphere. Just nails it. But when you lay all the lore out on the table like that, well... "Annalise, corrupted by the Forbidden Blood, becomes the first of the Vilebloods. Now she sends out her Blood Knights, to hunt for Blood Dregs in order to bear a Blood Child, thereby drawing the wrath of the Blood Church, who seek the Blood Moon in to stave off the Old Blood. Bloodybloody blood,blood blood."

I still like it and all, but man that is a lot of blood.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Rangpur posted:

You know, this game really nails atmosphere. Just nails it. But when you lay all the lore out on the table like that, well... "Annalise, corrupted by the Forbidden Blood, becomes the first of the Vilebloods. Now she sends out her Blood Knights, to hunt for Blood Dregs in order to bear a Blood Child, thereby drawing the wrath of the Blood Church, who seek the Blood Moon in to stave off the Old Blood. Bloodybloody blood,blood blood."

I still like it and all, but man that is a lot of blood.

Is it shark week already?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I find it interesting that the moon at Cainhurst is not the same as the moon at Yharnam, even if Rom is killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Samovar posted:

I find it interesting that the moon at Cainhurst is not the same as the moon at Yharnam, even if Rom is killed.

That's a good point. I never noticed. Maybe Cainhurst is just far enough away? Kind of like with Loran.

Also, we have new channel art! I should have a banner up later today after I sleep.

notlupus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 5, 2016

• Locked thread