Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notlupus
May 16, 2008

Dude, I was able to perform an appendectomy at age 14. I think I can handle a couple of shrooms.
Latest Update: 4/13/16
26. Orphan of Kos

What is Bloodborne?

Bloodborne is a FROM Software game that follows in the footsteps of Dark Souls, much like Dark Souls was a spiritual successor to Demon’s Souls. This means Bloodborne has similar mechanics and gameplay, similar feel, but an entirely new story and setting. Some have called it “Castlevania-esque”, but I think Bloodborne offers so much more in terms of setting and style.

What story?

FROM is infamous for embedding vague hints and clues in its games’ world, item descriptions, and NPC conversations to let you figure out the story instead of holding your hand through a narrative, and Bloodborne is no different. The game starts with the player being duped into signing a contract, blood doped, and then roofied so they’ll forget why they woke up the next morning feeling like a glazed donut.

The real backstory, to my knowledge, is we are an outsider who has traveled to Yharnam seeking a cure for some ailment. Yharnam is known for the Healing Church, which applies blood ministration as a means to heal its patients through the healing properties of the church’s special blood. We start on one of these clinic tables to receive the blood, and some guy wants us to sign a contract first. This contract we sign and the blood we are given somehow gives us the powers of a hunter. Hilarity ensues.

Why are you LPing this?

I love FROM Soft games, and I love great games. Bloodborne is both of those things. I also decided that Dark Souls has been LPed to death, so this would be a better choice. It helps, too, that I’ve beat the game three times previously in my struggle to get the platinum trophy.

This is my first attempt at a LP, so please be gentle when telling me how terrible I am. I very much want your criticism and feedback.

Why post commentary?

I wanted to include my friends that I’ve played many games with previously, Randomus Namus and Kshake/Kyle Myr, and I felt that post commentary was the easiest way to do this with schedule issues between the three of us. I really enjoy collaborative efforts. I think post commentary with multiple people is a little unique, as well.

Just show us the drat game! I’m tired of your inner monologue, you wordy gently caress.

01. Intro
02. Yharnam
03. Cleric Beast and Gascoigne
04. Old Yharnam
05. Blood Starved Beast and Henryk
06. Hemwick Charnel Lane and the Witch of Hemwick
07. Amelia, Yahar'Gul, Paarl
08. Forbidden Woods pt. 1
09. Forbidden Woods pt. 2, Shadows of Yharnam
10. Byrgenwerth, Rom
11. Cainhurst Castle pt. 1
12. Cainhurst Castle pt. 2, Logarius
13. Yahar'gul Revisited
14. The One Reborn
15. Nightmare Frontier, Amygdala
16. Celestial Emissary, Ebrietas
17. Nightmare of Mensis, Micolash
18. Nightmare of Mensis cont.
19. Mergo's Wet Nurse, Gherman, Moon Presence
20. The Hunter's Nightmare
21. Ludwig
22. Research Hall
23. Living Failures
24. Maria, Laurence
25. Fishing Hamlet
26. Orphan of Kos

notlupus fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Dude, I was able to perform an appendectomy at age 14. I think I can handle a couple of shrooms.
Reserved for future need.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Yharnam seems nice and I am enjoying my guided tour.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
God love 'em this helped me get through work today. Really nice banter, it almost makes me want to interact with others!

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

This is surprisingly good watching. It doesn't try too hard and doesn't bombard me with obnoxious editing/effects.

I still haven't totally figured out how to place this game in the greater Rowlingverse.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It exists on the other side of that funky magic door from the climax of Order of the Phoenix. You can read all about it in :siren:My Fanfiction.:siren:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So I'm really enjoying this playthrough, you and your co-commentators have good rapport and it's interesting to have the player be the knowledgeable one showing his friends instead of him being blind and his friends guiding him.

I would like to point out that whilst originally the insight vendor needed 10 insight to be visible they changed that with an update to make it 1 like the doll. Also you never brought it up but the threaded cane is serrated in it's transformed mode, it also is probably one of the best skill based weapons in the game and is one of three weapons with an s scaling in skill at max level, it is also the only starting weapon that ends up with an s scaling in any statistic. The Saw Spear and Cleaver are actually both quality build weapons, they scale with both strength and skill, with the spear having better skill scaling and the Cleaver having better strength scaling. The Rakuyo which is your goal is an absurdly strong skill weapon so if you're going to build for it to do damage you should probably just use the cane over the spear because the cane will end up doing more damage, unless you don't like the move-set of the cane which is entirely possible.

Also the tall men in the Church are actually still human, even though they look pretty weird they're not kin or beasts. My personal theory based on later stuff is they're slowly becoming the next stage of humanity, it's just that the forced evolution makes it look disgusting. Either that or they're slowly becoming a different enemy in the zone that I don't think you've encountered yet.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

notlupus posted:

This is my first attempt at a LP, so please be gentle when telling me how terrible I am. I very much want your criticism and feedback.
I sense some hesitance in your commentary, as if uncertain about how much to guide the flow of the conversation, but your friends are cooperative and you're managing really well for a first time effort, especially considering how topic-dense these games can be. This seems improved by episode 5, so it should smooth out over time.

I do suggest you look at things more. Item descriptions and scenery (get some skyline shots with the moon in there) we could see some more of, and certain events really need to be shown. A giant flaming ball rolling down a long bridge and flattening a half dozen dudes in an effort to get you. The first incoming tracers from a gatling gun on top of a clocktower. These things are peak moments that deserve to be witnessed.

Also, how are you getting the videos to your co-commentators? It seems like there's a little delay in reactions, and they're not quite clear on when videos end?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

I sense some hesitance in your commentary, as if uncertain about how much to guide the flow of the conversation, but your friends are cooperative and you're managing really well for a first time effort, especially considering how topic-dense these games can be. This seems improved by episode 5, so it should smooth out over time.

I do suggest you look at things more. Item descriptions and scenery (get some skyline shots with the moon in there) we could see some more of, and certain events really need to be shown. A giant flaming ball rolling down a long bridge and flattening a half dozen dudes in an effort to get you. The first incoming tracers from a gatling gun on top of a clocktower. These things are peak moments that deserve to be witnessed.

Also, how are you getting the videos to your co-commentators? It seems like there's a little delay in reactions, and they're not quite clear on when videos end?

We use synced private uploads, and we're watching blind. The syncing is manual so if there's a delay in mumble, we're experiencing that latency.

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

We're certainly still hammering out the kinks. I'm glad it seems like we're getting better at least!

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

So I'm really enjoying this playthrough, you and your co-commentators have good rapport and it's interesting to have the player be the knowledgeable one showing his friends instead of him being blind and his friends guiding him.

I would like to point out that whilst originally the insight vendor needed 10 insight to be visible they changed that with an update to make it 1 like the doll. Also you never brought it up but the threaded cane is serrated in it's transformed mode, it also is probably one of the best skill based weapons in the game and is one of three weapons with an s scaling in skill at max level, it is also the only starting weapon that ends up with an s scaling in any statistic. The Saw Spear and Cleaver are actually both quality build weapons, they scale with both strength and skill, with the spear having better skill scaling and the Cleaver having better strength scaling. The Rakuyo which is your goal is an absurdly strong skill weapon so if you're going to build for it to do damage you should probably just use the cane over the spear because the cane will end up doing more damage, unless you don't like the move-set of the cane which is entirely possible.

Also the tall men in the Church are actually still human, even though they look pretty weird they're not kin or beasts. My personal theory based on later stuff is they're slowly becoming the next stage of humanity, it's just that the forced evolution makes it look disgusting. Either that or they're slowly becoming a different enemy in the zone that I don't think you've encountered yet.

Thanks! I had no idea about the insight vendor changing. Good catch. To my knowledge the cane scales to A in skill, not S, but it's certainly nothing to sneeze at.

I'm of the opinion the tall men are Pthumerian like Queen Yharnam, because they look the same. I wanted to point this out in a future video, but I've encountered some stuttering issues with the recording of the Rom fight and cutscene after, so I'm not sure how that's going to turn out. I think I am going to attempt to record me doing co-op to get the footage again. I'd hate to show off what I have now.

Fish Noise posted:

This is all new to me, haha, so there will absolutely be some hesitance from time to time. We're all still trying to gain our footing. I've been attempting to get a few shots of the scenery and item descriptions, too. Sometimes you just don't think about that when you're in the middle of it. Good feedback, though, thanks!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gilbert is NOT not-Irish! He is not-Scottish!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

notlupus posted:

I'm of the opinion the tall men are Pthumerian like Queen Yharnam, because they look the same. I wanted to point this out in a future video, but I've encountered some stuttering issues with the recording of the Rom fight and cutscene after, so I'm not sure how that's going to turn out. I think I am going to attempt to record me doing co-op to get the footage again. I'd hate to show off what I have now.

That is certainly an interesting idea. I know that the witches of Hemwick, the eye collectors, the bellmaidens and the sack men are all Pthumerians but I'm pretty sure the official name for the tall men is Church Servant. My theory is they transformed along the same path but are still modern day Yharnamites, eventually they become the Church Giants

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

That is certainly an interesting idea. I know that the witches of Hemwick, the eye collectors, the bellmaidens and the sack men are all Pthumerians but I'm pretty sure the official name for the tall men is Church Servant. My theory is they transformed along the same path but are still modern day Yharnamites, eventually they become the Church Giants

That theory has potential. I still think they have that look, because of their faces. Look at a closeup of their faces, and compare them to Queen Yharnam and the Pthumerian Descendent. They're clearly influenced by the "powers that be", though. Especially since their weapons start changing as your insight increases.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The easiest way to tell if an enemy is Pthumerian is if they're in the Chalice Dungeons and the main game, otherwise they're just Yharnamites.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

The easiest way to tell if an enemy is Pthumerian is if they're in the Chalice Dungeons and the main game, otherwise they're just Yharnamites.

Yeah , and I doubt we'll see the Chalice Dungeons on this playthrough. They could be a separate Let's Play entirely.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Since the mainline dungeons unlock things in the insight store you should do a few.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Since the mainline dungeons unlock things in the insight store you should do a few.

I may, but I don't know if there's any value recording that on YouTube. I think it may be better to stream something like that to Twitch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think the crucifix the priests carry around are what some beasts are bound to when they get burned on bonfires. I seem to recall the B.S.B. being on one in OId Yharnam.

Edit: Christ, I just got the pun about insight.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 20, 2016

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So if you're accepting suggestions regarding the LP notlupus, I'd advise making a new post every time you upload a video so that it shows in thread bookmarks. I almost missed last update.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Samovar posted:

I think the crucifix the priests carry around are what some beasts are bound to when they get burned on bonfires. I seem to recall the B.S.B. being on one in OId Yharnam.

Yeah, the cross is also an upside down hunter's mark.

Aumanor posted:

So if you're accepting suggestions regarding the LP notlupus, I'd advise making a new post every time you upload a video so that it shows in thread bookmarks. I almost missed last update.

Will do.

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

Samovar posted:

They're obviously all punintentional.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Update: 07. Amelia, Yahar'Gul, Paarl

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I quite like Bloodborne's armour system because everything is good to go the moment you get it, no farming up shards to upgrade it or anything, it's much more versatile.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

I quite like Bloodborne's armour system because everything is good to go the moment you get it, no farming up shards to upgrade it or anything, it's much more versatile.

I generally agree. I just miss some of the mixing and matching, and I kind of wish certain builds required certain armors. I do not miss the upgrading.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The sound design of this game is excellent - not only in the effects, I mean the screams of Amelia are harrowing - but in the music as well which is brilliantly gothic and bombastic.

Edit: That weird re-skinned Witch enemy did NOT cut your throat; she's trying to gouge your eyes out.

Fun fact: Can you see what the pebbles look like?

Edit Edit: That Tonitrous pun was terrible!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 22, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Speaking of, you know that very ominous music you hear in Yahar'gul? That's people chanting, you'll have an idea who is chanting if you have reached the endgame.

quote:

Maledictus
Donum libas
Inficimur
Maledictus bestia

Maledictus
Pater do si donas.
Inficimur
Argentum aquae in tenebris.

Mater sanguine
Redemptio risa se
Exciet exciet.
Flebatur a salis.

Vale, vale,
Inficimur
In tenebris aquae.

Maledictus
Et argentum aquae.
Inficimur
Et argentum aquae.

Sanguine!
Sanguine!

(Cursed) You pour out your gift.
We are tainted.
(Cursed by the beast)

(Cursed) O Father I surrender, if you grant it.
We are tainted.
Silver in the shadows of the water.

O Mother from the blood,
Redemption, having been laughed at,
rouses itself, rouses itself.
It is lamented by the waters.

Farewell, farewell.
We are tainted
In the shadows of the water.

(Cursed)
And the silver of the water.
We are tainted.
And the silver of the water.

From the blood.
From the blood.

Here's the the apparent lyrics and translation.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 22, 2016

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Amerlia's prayer is:

quote:

"Seek the old blood. Let us pray... let us wish... to partake in communion. Let us partake in communion... and feast upon the old blood.

Our thirst for blood satiates us, soothes our fears. Seek the old blood... but beware the frailty of men. Their wills are weak, minds young.

The foul beasts will dangle nectar and lure the meek into the depths. Remain wary of the frailty of men. Their wills are weak, minds young.

Were it not for fear, death would go unlamented."

Now compare that to the phrase you hear immediately after that..."Fear the old blood..." to see where things might have gone horribly wrong...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
"DC's just some kind of weird amalgamation."
"Yes. Of everything. Not as weird as Yharnam, but... weird."

Get your Insight up, and look at the Capitol dome's reflection under a Paleblood sky.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I had no idea Bloodborne even could be played this smoothly. I thought it was a game where you flailed ineffectually against bosses until you die half a dozen times. (I was previously watching slowbeef's blind run. :v: )

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So on the pendants and the Hunter's Badges. They don't actually cause transformations, if anything Amelia's Pendant would allow her to remember her humanity and turn back. The transformations are from the Old Blood itself doing what it does, which is transform humanity into something else. Paarl was probably a friend of Archibald who transformed, and due to Archibald's learning style he managed to become a full Darkbeast. The badges in general are meant to be a way for Hunters to tell who is affiliated with who from a glance, and thus allows secret societies of different hunters to co-exist relatively peacefully. The Messengers of the Dream on the other hand use the badges to create the stuff you can buy, presumably because those things were first made by the badge creators. In particular the Spark Hunter Badge allows you to buy the Tonitrus and Bolt Paper, both made by Archibald.

Also because you aren't going into the Chalice Dungeons on screen I'll share one bit of lore. The Chalice Dungeons are the remains of an ancient civilisation of humans called the Pthumerians. The important thing is inside the Chalice Dungeons is where the Old Blood was first found by Byrgenwerth, so the Pthumerians have something to do with the existence of the Old Blood.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Speaking of, you know that very ominous music you hear in Yahar'gul? That's people chanting, you'll have an idea who is chanting if you have reached the endgame.

Here's the the apparent lyrics and translation.

That's pretty badass. Those lyrics make a lot of sense to me, too. Great find.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Amerlia's prayer is:

Now compare that to the phrase you hear immediately after that..."Fear the old blood..." to see where things might have gone horribly wrong...

Nice. Would you mind if I put this in the description?

Rangpur posted:

I had no idea Bloodborne even could be played this smoothly. I thought it was a game where you flailed ineffectually against bosses until you die half a dozen times. (I was previously watching slowbeef's blind run. :v: )

Thanks! Flailing is a key ingredient to learning, though. That, and the soul crushing boss fights in the Chalice Dungeons.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

So on the pendants and the Hunter's Badges. They don't actually cause transformations, if anything Amelia's Pendant would allow her to remember her humanity and turn back. The transformations are from the Old Blood itself doing what it does, which is transform humanity into something else. Paarl was probably a friend of Archibald who transformed, and due to Archibald's learning style he managed to become a full Darkbeast. The badges in general are meant to be a way for Hunters to tell who is affiliated with who from a glance, and thus allows secret societies of different hunters to co-exist relatively peacefully. The Messengers of the Dream on the other hand use the badges to create the stuff you can buy, presumably because those things were first made by the badge creators. In particular the Spark Hunter Badge allows you to buy the Tonitrus and Bolt Paper, both made by Archibald.

Also because you aren't going into the Chalice Dungeons on screen I'll share one bit of lore. The Chalice Dungeons are the remains of an ancient civilisation of humans called the Pthumerians. The important thing is inside the Chalice Dungeons is where the Old Blood was first found by Byrgenwerth, so the Pthumerians have something to do with the existence of the Old Blood.

I know the transformations are caused by the use of the Old Blood. I was just wondering aloud if maybe the pendant was a focus or not, considering Amelia's transformation is quite a bit more complex than your average Yharnamite's.

I had planned to touch on the Pthumerian lore in a later video. Even though I won't be recording the dungeons for this playthrough, I will try to address the lore that is hidden in them. Also, only the Pthumeru dungeons are reflective of that civilization. There is also Loran, which was consumed by the scourge, and Isz, which I know nothing about to be honest, haha.

notlupus fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 23, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think that, like the Cleric Beast, Amelia's transformation is more extreme because she's a member of the Healing Church, and thus getting more Old Blood than the average Yharnamite at a higher quality. In fact Amelia has a lot of similarities to the Cleric Beast, so maybe she's meant to be the female version of such? The pendant being a focus sounds pretty reasonable, but as I said it would probably to help her remember who she is when mired in the stench of blood and beasts.

Gascoigne's beast form shows up again too, sort of, and that suggests ordinary blood-drunk hunters become the same sort of beast. In fact Gascoigne has something similar to the pendant, the music box playing reverses his mind loss a little. Meanwhile the other one just embraces what he's become, although you might not show him off.

You can sort of see specific patterns of evolution too, Gascoigne is the biggest and nastiest version of what's happening to normal Yharnamites. Darkbeast Paarl is a giant zombie lightning scourge beast, hence being near Old Yharnam. The servants eventually become the giants. The Brick Trolls eventually become the Axe wielding executioners. Either that or the amount of blood increases the size/danger of your eventual transformation. Interestingly horns seem pretty rare, in the main game there's 3 beasts with horns, and the DLC adds 2 from memory. The Cleric Beast and Amelia, but also the guy at the bottom of the Healing Church Workshop. Which suggests the horns are specific to religious beasts.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 23, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey, EVE goons LPing Bloodborne! Gonna follow this.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which suggests the horns are specific to religious beasts.

This might be a reference to the real-life phenomenon of Moses having horns on the Michelangelo statue.

There was a mistranslation of "glorified" (keren in Hebrew) into "horned" (kornuta in Latin) in the Vulgate, which Michelangelo based his statue on.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hell, there are references to horned and antlered gods of various sorts going back millenia before that. The Celts worshipped a horned deity called Cernunnos (we think) and their druids practiced human sacrifice (we think). There's a lot of unknowables since they didn't keep written records--most of our assumptions are based off the accounts of Caesar and other Roman soldiers. But I wanted to draw the parallel because Yharnam looks a hell of a lot like a mix of Gothic and Victorian London. You also have references to a great fire that laid huge sections of the city to waste, and again, burning to the ground is also something London is well-known for.

In other words, we have a country with a long history of worshipping 'strange' deities, whose priesthood were heavily invested in blood sacrifice and you see where I'm going with this? I like to think of Bloodborne as a world where druidic religions remained dominant in England (with the added twist that the deities are very real, but instead of gods they're horrors from beyond time and space, right out of H.P Lovecraft by way of Berserk.) Does anyone know of interviews where the developers discuss their influences?

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

Oh hey, EVE goons LPing Bloodborne! Gonna follow this.

Hi, Lyris.

Just a reminder that my co-hosts are going into this blind. Please try to avoid spoilers or hinting at spoilers.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Update: 08. Forbidden Woods pt. 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I have a suggestion for your bagmen woes. A number of their attacks have large wind-up times, so if you watch for the grab or the bag slam you have plenty of time to get ready for the parry. Once you've parried them if you're at a reasonable level they'll have lost more than half health from the visceral attack, at which point they'll either make a quick kick/punch to get you to back off before using their power up move or just straight up go for the power up. The power up is actually great because they take forever to do it and stand still a while after, so you dodge behind them and get an easy back stab. Which should kill them the rest of the way.

The Beggar is a Cannibal and has a very similar form to Gascoigne when he's a beast. It's possible he was once a Hunter actually based on his lines and one of the DLC armour pieces. The Cannon is ridiculous high damage but it's also very easy to dodge if you're watching for it. There's a pretty neat main hand weapon you can pair it with later that makes the Cannon a lot better.

I've never really used the rifle spear, so this method of dealing with the snake woods is new to me. I personally just use the whip form of the cane because it has larger range than all of the snakes bar an obvious exception that will show up in the next episode probably. Valtr is interesting because he's very different from Solaire but his Oath is the co-op rune for the game. Valtr's full story is in the DLC, kind of, and it's entirely possible that the Vermin that the Impurity rune lets you see is a shared madness as they only exist for those who have the rune inscribed on their mind.

• Locked thread