Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EvilJoven posted:

I wish I could find the article but back like almost a decade ago even William Gibson was all 'haha cyberpunk what was I thinking'.

I wonder if what I miss isn't actually cyberpunk but having a sense that the future would be something cooler than our reality of lame suburbs, 'service economy' jobs and slow cars that look fat.

Modern cars look (and are) fat but they are all extremely fast by even 80s standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Nooner posted:

idk what happened, but scarlett johansson got way less hot a few years ago and I just feel conflicted about that, she usedto be #1 now just ehh

well she's 31 now, so I guess she's slowly dying out now. The lifespan of super hot actresses everyone wants to bone ends at about late-20's. this might be one of the last times she's creamable before we move on to someone else.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The worst part about the cyberpunk revival is the painful reminder of how the real world cyberpunk future turned out to be super lame.

this post/av combo

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've never read the comic book but the cartoon movie was really boring and no matter how many times I try to watch it I always fall asleep during it. So i never bothered to watch the other cartoon series they made of it. And this trailer looks bad too so I guess it's keeping in spirit of the whole franchise.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Junior Jr. posted:

well she's 31 now, so I guess she's slowly dying out now. The lifespan of super hot actresses everyone wants to bone ends at about late-20's. this might be one of the last times she's creamable before we move on to someone else.

I dunno I think 30 will be the new 20 for hot actresses.

Not necessarily Scarjo in particular but this new generation coming up.

Or maybe that's just my tastes evolving as I enter my 30s idk.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Applewhite posted:

She's not a spy she's a secret police officer working for a benign gestapo.

IIRC they changed that too - she 's now corporate security for the 'Hanka' corporation or something

Which again serves to make the story more generic because there is a 100% chance that THE CORPORATION lied to her about who she used to be

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Serak posted:

IIRC they changed that too - she 's now corporate security for the 'Hanka' corporation or something

Which again serves to make the story more generic because there is a 100% chance that THE CORPORATION lied to her about who she used to be

Wow. #notmyghostintheshell

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I hope they shoe-horn in the spider tank.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Fyi every book after Neuromancer (by Gibson the guy who spawned this poo poo) is terrible. Especially the Virtual Light series which is triple garbage.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No think tanks, no sell

The real heroes of SAC

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah except that you get to look at an actual woman instead of a cartoon, but i guess thats a matter of perspective

Even if you are some kind of anti-2D weirdo it doesn't matter because it's still a Hollywood actress on screen in full makeup so it's just as unreal as a drawing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't wait for the live action American Patlabor tv series

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I want Robotech but without the Japanese 'defeat the enemy with the power of jpop' crap.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I want Altered Carbon.

And I'm getting it, on Netflix coming 2017.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EvilJoven posted:

I want Robotech but without the Japanese 'defeat the enemy with the power of jpop' crap.

My friend, you heard of gundam?!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

EvilJoven posted:

That and Astro Boy was the extent of my Anime watching. Seeing that people could die (a lot) in Robotech was pretty mind-blowing for an 8 year old who had only been exposed to US cartoons.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I don't see what the hold up is. Scarlett showed them titties in other movies so why does she have to be stingy now...

The robot eyes look very strange.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Should I watch Ghost in the Shell (1995) or Ghost In The Shell 2.0 (2008) ? what is the difference?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
They made the anime robot chick flex her muscles so hard her flesh tore. Is that gonna happen this time, or is Scarlett not that swole?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the point of doing a live action adaptation of a cartoon if you're just making it 90% CGI?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

SpaceAceJase posted:

Should I watch Ghost in the Shell (1995) or Ghost In The Shell 2.0 (2008) ? what is the difference?

2.0 is garbage that replaced a bunch of animation with Playstation 2 looking CG and flipped the entire color scheme from green to orange for whatever reason.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EvilJoven posted:

Try Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SpaceAceJase posted:

Watch Stand Alone Complex instead because none of the movies are particularly good.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is the 'Star Wars Special Edition' version - they remastered some things with new technology but then went overboard and needlessly replaced scenes with new CG and stuff like that for no reason.

The 1995 version holds up perfectly well

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Or just watch Akira which is better.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They look very very good though

The better oshii movies are the patlabor ones

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If this movie is successful will we get a live-action Armitage 3 movie?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Stand Alone Complex is basically the old mission impossible tv series with androids and an ongoing plot arc, it's real good

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
anime? no thanks

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Watch Stand Alone Complex instead because none of the movies are particularly good.

Yuck, that show is low budget crap where people most stand around and discuss freshmen philosophy concepts. The 1995 movie at least has a couple of great action sequences.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FedEx Mercury posted:

Yuck, that show is low budget crap where people most stand around and discuss freshmen philosophy concepts. The 1995 movie at least has a couple of great action sequences.

It is a much better introduction to freshman philosophy than Star Trek: TNG's season 2 episode "the measure of a man" which was actually shown to the class (over my objections).

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

2.0 is garbage that replaced a bunch of animation with Playstation 2 looking CG and flipped the entire color scheme from green to orange for whatever reason.

He speaks the truth. 1995 for sure.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't know how anyone can dislike the tv show where the guy play acts Breathless with his pet robot.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Serak posted:

Ugh.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This looks good tbh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The reveal that the laughing man is just some nerd kid who read catcher in the rye is the greatest/funniest character reveal in anything ever.

Anyone who dislikes SAC is joyless

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Serak posted:

Makes me wonder if this was initially a Deus Ex Human Revolution script before hand before it had Ghost In The Shell characters grafted on to it. It's really rather generic.

Snooze Cruise posted:

They look very very good though

The better oshii movies are the patlabor ones

Patlabor 2 is probably his best movie.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

They went from Dolby 2.0 to 6.1 Channel audio, which the only perceivable difference is the Puppet Master has a female voice (instead of male voice in female body, to add with the weirdness and otherness of the Puppet Master) and the guns on the crab tank don't match the visuals of it firing, the GITS2.0's audio comes off slower instead of the whirling mechanized blender of death that the original 1995 soundtrack had.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
I think the only thing that could make this movie great if 50% of it is about Batou's relationship with his adorable Basset hound.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Serak posted:

I think the only thing that could make this movie great if 50% of it is about Batou's relationship with his adorable Basset hound.

Or there being an inexplicable amount of birds everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I want Altered Carbon.

And I'm getting it, on Netflix coming 2017.

God I hope this turns out good.

• Locked thread