Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Professor Shark posted:

What? King is such a gushing fanboy of any movie based on his stuff that I find this weird... as far as I remember the only movie he didn't like was The Shining, and that's the best one

Anyway, really excited about IE being Roland, I have every confidence in MM doing a good job even though his character looks lovely

maybe youre right i dunno. i thought he complained about changes a lot. maybe it's because he made such a huge ridiculous fuss about the shining (a loving masterpiece). did you see his terrible tv version that he had to make to "get it right"? lol.

And yeah i was disappointed when it looked like Elba wouldn't get to be james bond but this is maybe even better. People are saying MM should have played Roland but i think that would just be boring and obvious casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Noted

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
given that gilead was built in the subatomic-war ruins of america, it would make perfect sense for Roland to be black

edit: Also taking bets, is Gilead based on the biblical city, or the Republic of Gilead from the post-nuclear-war wasteland america of The Handmaidens Tale?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

lol what's this harry potter poo poo everyone is mentioning

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the robots in the Wolves of the Calla have target seeking robots called "sneetches" , as well as non-lightsabers. Personally i think it fits the surreality of the series, but ymmv

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

litereally sneetches. exploding sneetches

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

edit: Also taking bets, is Gilead based on the biblical city, or the Republic of Gilead from the post-nuclear-war wasteland america of The Handmaidens Tale?

sorry dude no idea. i only read trash literature :shrug:

someone else weigh in here

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

sorry dude, i only read trash literature :shrug:

someone else weigh in here

eh Margaret Atwood counts as Trash Literature in my mind

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

also, the guy who is basically satan and is trying to destroy the universe turns out to just be some guy who just became immortal a little while ago and who sits on a balcony and throws grenades until a magic retard wishes him away.

goddamn King can't write endings

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

also, the guy who is basically satan and is trying to destroy the universe turns out to just be some guy who just became immortal a little while ago and who sits on a balcony and throws grenades until a magic retard wishes him away.

goddamn King can't write endings

the whole point was that the universe was running down and didn't have any energy left to sustain epic battles between good and evil, so what you get is an insane old man whose psychic voice is amplified by a trick of physics, and the "good guy" hiding behind a rock

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

A misanthrope posted:

if its a choice between roland being idris elba and roland looking like stephen king, which would you prefer?

the ideal choice wouldve obviously been a younger clint eastwood, since roland is based on him.

elba is a good actor and seems like a decent, if a bit weird choice for roland (what with susanna calling him a cracka all the time in the books)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

given that gilead was built in the subatomic-war ruins of america, it would make perfect sense for Roland to be black

Mid World isn't future America, it's closer to Middle Earth

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Das Butterbrot posted:

the ideal choice wouldve obviously been a younger clint eastwood, since roland is based on him.

elba is a good actor and seems like a decent, if a bit weird choice for roland (what with susanna calling him a cracka all the time in the books)

eh, just have detta hate black people who hang around with white people.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
hi im new here and this is my first post pls dont yell at me

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE DARK TOWER BOOKS

so the dark tower series -- which is kind of the connecting hub of all King's books, even if the connections are small -- ends with roland reaching the dark tower and getting to the top and it's just a big reset, sending him back to the beginning of his quest. the problem is he didn't have a magical thing called the Horn of Eld because he lost it on a battlefield when he was young. so he couldn't blow it when he reached the tower and it hosed up his quest.

the books end with him back where he started but with one key difference -- he has the horn this time for some reason. i guess it was king's way to give the reader hope that maybe this time things will be different for roland.

the upcoming movies aren't an adaption. the filmmakers say they're a continuation of the story -- starting with roland reset to the beginning of his quest and he has his horn and everything.

these movies are going to be the real ending to stephen king's dark tower books, which is good because he doesn't know how to end books

talk about the dark tower books and the movies in this thread and how stephen king is the best writer ever or an absolute hack or whatever.

also yes i am a fat retarded virgin why do you ask??

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Mid World isn't future America, it's closer to Middle Earth

except for all the stuff left over from american companies that are explicitly founded in america, and all the magic doors that lead to america and the city that mirrors america's most significant city

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah they're not the same.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah they're not the same.

well they're certainly related in the weird symbolic way things are related in this series, I mean the whole series is keyed to New York's timeline

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, just as people get Twinners or whatever (I need to read the Talisman/ Black House at some point), the Imperium was definitely a parallel to the U.S., but the similarities could be because they were raiding poo poo from other levels of the tower, hence why they have Windows on their computers and poo poo

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

eh, just have detta hate black people who hang around with white people.

my thoughts exactly. that poo poo isn't important enough to the story that it can't be changed.

Frankenstyle posted:

hi im new here and this is my first post pls dont yell at me

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE DARK TOWER BOOKS

so the dark tower series -- which is kind of the connecting hub of all King's books, even if the connections are small -- ends with roland reaching the dark tower and getting to the top and it's just a big reset, sending him back to the beginning of his quest. the problem is he didn't have a magical thing called the Horn of Eld because he lost it on a battlefield when he was young. so he couldn't blow it when he reached the tower and it hosed up his quest.

the books end with him back where he started but with one key difference -- he has the horn this time for some reason. i guess it was king's way to give the reader hope that maybe this time things will be different for roland.

the upcoming movies aren't an adaption. the filmmakers say they're a continuation of the story -- starting with roland reset to the beginning of his quest and he has his horn and everything.

these movies are going to be the real ending to stephen king's dark tower books, which is good because he doesn't know how to end books

talk about the dark tower books and the movies in this thread and how stephen king is the best writer ever or an absolute hack or whatever.

also yes i am a fat retarded virgin why do you ask??

:five:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, just as people get Twinners or whatever (I need to read the Talisman/ Black House at some point), the Imperium was definitely a parallel to the U.S., but the similarities could be because they were raiding poo poo from other levels of the tower, hence why they have Windows on their computers and poo poo

true dat. I think my favorite part of the series is how the time that gilead has been destroyed gradaually grows between books, so that roland left Gilead when he was ~ 15, and by the end, Gilead had been dead for thousands of years.

Bonus question:

Was the Thinny in Kansas the same one as in Mijas?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i never read these books and i don't give a poo poo about steven king but i will watch anything with idris elba

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stephen King should have stayed an addict and died at 40, it's what Young Stephen King would have wanted if he could have read what Stephen King has done since he was hit by that van

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

"how fast he can draw" ...so it's confirmed, Roland takes the place of Patrick Danville this time around as well.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Stephen King should have stayed an addict and died at 40, it's what Young Stephen King would have wanted if he could have read what Stephen King has done since he was hit by that van

eh, all his latest stuff has been fantastic

Resurrection (#1 king book IMO)
The Wind Through the keyhole
Dr. Sleep
Full Dark, No Stars
Mr. Mercedes
Finders Keepers

these are all great

Universe Master posted:

"how fast he can draw" ...so it's confirmed, Roland takes the place of Patrick Danville this time around as well.

God I would love a series where Roland sits in a cage for 90% of the time

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

Dr. Sleep
Full Dark, No Stars
Mr. Mercedes
Finders Keepers

these are all great

I forgot about Wind, that was a nice little novella. The only other thing that I've enjoyed by him was that short story from Playboy that is in the latest short story collection, the one about the guy on the bus. That story stayed with me as a feeling of dread for days afterwards, like a good Stephen King story should.

Does FD,NS have N in it? That was a good one

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

good, because there will be a quiz on all of this

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i never read these books and i don't give a poo poo about steven king but i will watch anything with idris elba

im not gay but idris elba can sling my gun any day

Universe Master posted:

gently caress i wish. king needs to get over his magic retard obsession

Professor Shark posted:

Cumslut1895 posted:

Dr. Sleep
Full Dark, No Stars
Mr. Mercedes
Finders Keepers

these are all great

God I would love a series where Roland sits in a cage for 90% of the time

yeah some of his new stuff is good but some of it is real REAL bad (Lisey's Story). but as shark prof. said can you imagine how insanely good his books would be if he never stopped snorting coke and writing books while blackout drunk? motherfucker said he doesn't even remember writing Cujo and that's a good book

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I forgot about Wind, that was a nice little novella. The only other thing that I've enjoyed by him was that short story from Playboy that is in the latest short story collection, the one about the guy on the bus. That story stayed with me as a feeling of dread for days afterwards, like a good Stephen King story should.

Does FD,NS have N in it? That was a good one

Googling, N was in Just After Sunset. It was pretty great though. one of the better modern-lovecraft type stories

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

no he'd be dead by now

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

good, because there will be a quiz on all of this

im not gay but idris elba can sling my gun any day

gently caress i wish. king needs to get over his magic retard obsession

yeah some of his new stuff is good but some of it is real REAL bad (Lisey's Story). but as shark prof. said can you imagine how insanely good his books would be if he never stopped snorting coke and writing books while blackout drunk? motherfucker said he doesn't even remember writing Cujo and that's a good book

I feel like Wolves of the Calla was deliberately mocking this with it's explicitly not magical retards. Maybe I was at just the right age to enjoy Lisey's Story and Rose Madder (and I don't intend to revisit them, I've made that mistake too much) but I enjoyed them. But yeah, Heil Coke King

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The books ending wasnt just bad it was insulting lmao. "Oh you want an ending, you little piss baby face shitter? *honks nose piggishly*"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"I bet when you have sex you like to cum :smuggo:" -steven king

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

His dedication to "the story tells the story, I just channel it, I don't know what the ending is I just write where the story takes me" is really annoying and peaked in DT7

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

The books ending wasnt just bad it was insulting lmao. "Oh you want an ending, you little piss baby face shitter? *honks nose piggishly*"

to be fair, the whole " Ka Is A Wheel " thing had been pushed pretty hard. And at least we know something important changed for the next iteration

Professor Shark posted:

His dedication to "the story tells the story, I just channel it, I don't know what the ending is I just write where the story takes me" is really annoying and peaked in DT7

try reading some Clive Cussler if you hate self inserts

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 2, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Clive Cussler exists as a sort of "wrapping paper" for when you're looking through used books and find something you really want, just gotta move those lovely books out of the way!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm guessing the whole " jews Roland & Eddie did 9/11" is going to get dropped as well.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite part of the dark tower is when Ronald the gunfighter comes to New York City and he drinks Pepsi and he thinks it's the most wonderful drink ever and our world is so great to have such an amazing beverage

that would be some good product placement

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The costume design for this movie looks loving stupid! Why is the gunslinger wearing what looks like department store clothing and has a sack full of speed loaders? Did they even read the book?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
is literally stephen king going to be in the book because he thought it was a good idea to literally write himself in the book .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't like the movies being a sequel to the books, because that means I have to actually read something

• Locked thread