Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a rating of 94%, based on 248 reviews, with an average score of 8.5/10. The site's consensus states: "Smart, funny, and profoundly melancholy, Inside Llewyn Davis finds the Coen brothers in fine form."[39] M

^^from wikpedia. looks like op is one tough critic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Inside Llewyn Davis was pretty good.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Why would I want to watch a movie where Oscar Isaac is ugly?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did not like Barton Fink

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i want john goodman to be my dad

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

i want john goodman to be my dad

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I did not like burn after reading.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

was that hail ceaser movie good?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wizard Master posted:

Inside Llewlyn Davis was good dumbass, probably one of the Coen brother's best. GBS posters have such pedestrian tastes, it's no wonder me and the other boys in PHIZ love trawling through threads to scoff at all these shithead opinions

I have no idea what PHIZ is but it sounds stupid.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

b-minus1 posted:

Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a rating of 94%, based on 248 reviews, with an average score of 8.5/10. The site's consensus states: "Smart, funny, and profoundly melancholy, Inside Llewyn Davis finds the Coen brothers in fine form."[39] M

^^from wikpedia. looks like op is one tough critic

Yeah ILD was definitely one of those movies that was a chore to watch but that no critic would pan for fear of being accused of "not getting it."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Mario Cohen: I have an idea! Let's make 60% of our movie folk music!

Luigi Cohen: Yes! Then not only will we not have to find good music, but we will only need 30 minutes of footage of people going places and doing things!

Mario Cohen: Best of all, the critics will have to love it because any movie that features someone playing a guitar and singing a sad song is automatically deep and good!

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

The Dennis System posted:

I guess you've never heard of The Big Lebowski.

I saw it because everyone told me it was great, but it just didn't click with me. I honestly don't even remember what it was about. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, I probably have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

A misanthrope posted:

was that hail ceaser movie good?

Hail Ceasar was good. Someone mentioned Intolerable Cruelty earlier and I love it, but it's a very old-school black comedy. I am in the minority when I say No Country For Old Men was a mediocre movie that was overhyped by fans of the book.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Mario Cohen: I have an idea! Let's make 60% of our movie folk music!

Luigi Cohen: Yes! Then not only will we not have to find good music, but we will only need 30 minutes of footage of people going places and doing things!

Mario Cohen: Best of all, the critics will have to love it because any movie that features someone playing a guitar and singing a sad song is automatically deep and good!

plus by doing a movie about that era you automatically get thumbs up from the old white oscar board

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RadioactiveKid posted:

O Brother and No Country are the only good cohen bros movies

I know lots of people like it but No Country stuck it's head up it's rear end and started inhaling it's own farts in the last 30 minutes.

I love out of nowhere deaths and sudden turns as much as the next guy, but I do not love a tense and awesome crime story turning into Tommy Lee Jones babbling on about his dreams trying to be "totally deep, man." It's like they couldn't come up with an ending so slapped that poo poo on there and people found it so pretentious they didn't dare say it sucked.

I literally went from preparing to recommend it to several people to just shaking my head.

Before anyone says that ending was good and had all kind of artistic meaning I'd like to ask a simple question: What is it people remember about this movie? Everything PRIOR to that? Yeah, because you'd be better off fast forewarding to the last 2 minutes after the hotel.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 31, 2016

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

RadioactiveKid posted:

O Brother and No Country are the only good cohen bros movies

actually Fargo is not only the best Cohen brothers movie but maybe the best movie ever made by anybody

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Sorry about your bad opinions OP.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

plus by doing a movie about that era you automatically get thumbs up from the old white oscar board

I know, how the gently caress did Theory of Everything win so many awards, and why are award shows so stupid trying to look smart?

I watched that movie and it was basically "Lies, lies, lies, feelgood bullshit that didn't happen, more bullshit, more bullshit, here's some bullshit, pander pander pander, bullshit, credits." There's movies about people driving cars and punching each other in the face with more artistic merit.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know, how the gently caress did Theory of Everything win so many awards

i had to look up this movie and yes it looks really really bad

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's movies about people driving cars and punching each other in the face with more artistic merit.

admittedly Fury Road got more Oscars than I thought they would be willing to give it, but of course it didn't get best picture. God forbid we give a movie that people will actually remember and still be watching in 20 years best picture.

(for real think of your favorite movies, then look at the years they came out and the movies that actually won best picture for those years -- it's loving crazy)

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know lots of people like it but No Country stuck it's head up it's rear end and started inhaling it's own farts in the last 30 minutes.

I love out of nowhere deaths and sudden turns as much as the next guy, but I do not love a tense and awesome crime story turning into Tommy Lee Jones babbling on about his dreams trying to be "totally deep, man." It's like they couldn't come up with an ending so slapped that poo poo on there and people found it so pretentious they didn't dare say it sucked.

I literally went from preparing to recommend it to several people to just shaking my head.

Before anyone says that ending was good and had all kind of artistic meaning I'd like to ask a simple question: What is it people remember about this movie? Everything PRIOR to that? Yeah, because you'd be better off fast forewarding to the last 2 minutes after the hotel.

this is literally how the book it's based on ends

the only real change they made for the movie was switching the hitchhiker girl he picks up and briefly talks to into a random woman at the hotel pool. and changed some of Carla Jean's dialogue before Chigurh shoots her. that's it.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

for real tho Fargo is the best movie ever made

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No country for old men had all the elements to be amazing and should have been but somehow they made it boring as poo poo. Fargo was good tho

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
More like Javier BAD-em! :twisted:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
now all they have to do is make a couple more movies then decide theyre actually girls

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

now all they have to do is make a couple more movies then decide theyre actually girls

i hope your posting gets better in the new year

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fargo is good but I can never understand folks saying it's the best movie of all time. Those people must all have grown up in the frozen midwest or something

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
*turns critical eye towards GBS*

this is NOT up to my standards

*moves slightly in chair*

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Fargo is good but I can never understand folks saying it's the best movie of all time. Those people must all have grown up in the frozen midwest or something

yes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

RadioactiveKid posted:

O Brother and The Big Lebowski are the only good cohen bros movies

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That ladykillers remake was kind of lazy bullshit but that's as far as the latent hate inside of me that drives all I do and consume will allow me to say about the coen bros on the internet

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

drowned in pussy juice posted:

That ladykillers remake was kind of lazy bullshit but that's as far as the latent hate inside of me that drives all I do and consume will allow me to say about the coen bros on the internet

:yikes:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't hate No country for old men, I think the actors, especially the bad guy did a really good job. But I'm not sure I agree it was an amazing movie. It had perhaps 2 amazing SCENES but the rest was just EH

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Applewhite posted:

They made a bad movie.

Take all the songs out of Inside Llewyn Davis and the movie would be 30 minutes long.

John Goodman was the only watchable part of the film.

I watched the trailer and couldnt make myself see it even though its the Brothers

i dont care about llweyn davis really, sorry

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
O Brother has rightly escaped criticism itt because it's one of the best films ever. It's one of the few movies I still physically own

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Raising Arizona is a goddamn masterpiece and you all better be singing its praises from here on out.
I'll know if you stop.
I'll come back and check.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fargo is a pretty good movie, but the TV show is absolute poo poo. I have no idea why it gets all the praise. If they would just come out and say that Billy Bob Thornton is a teleporting space god who uses mind control to turn everyone around him completely retarded, I might be able to finish the first season.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I haven't watched it but have seen a few scenes and they were good so it's at least got some good parts

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

applewhite i cant believe you called the cohen brothers mario and luigi

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
No Country for Old Men got me into movies in general, and is pretty much my favorite movie full stop. I've never read the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Fargo is a pretty good movie, but the TV show is absolute poo poo. I have no idea why it gets all the praise. If they would just come out and say that Billy Bob Thornton is a teleporting space god who uses mind control to turn everyone around him completely retarded, I might be able to finish the first season.

Season 2 is also very good IMO.

• Locked thread