Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The message boards for the new Resident Evil movie have a bunch of people who've been posting together about the movies since the first one came out in '02 saying goodbye to one another. This is honestly kind of heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
I wonder how difficult it would be to scrape imdb for all the film data and use it to setup a similar site.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I know one of these days I'm going to have to wake up in a world where Newgrounds and GameFAQs don't exist anymore and I don't think I'll ever be ready for that.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

this is a beautiful reminder of why we need these boards

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
forums dead, so gay

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The message boards for the new Resident Evil movie have a bunch of people who've been posting together about the movies since the first one came out in '02 saying goodbye to one another. This is honestly kind of heartbreaking.

Why don't these bozos just make a free vbulletin or a subreddit or something.
It's only 20 or 30 minutes effort (at most) to preserve a community that was obviously intimate enough to stick together for 15 years.

Don't make a lick of sense

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

IMDB has message boards?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Brendan Fraser is a power bottom that begged Downey to give him the "iron plow" for years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How am I supposed to stalk character actresses from 90s B movies now?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Seriously, does anyone have any pictures of Andrea Ellson's feet?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wish more "reader engagement" forums would shut down. CBC news has been futilely trying to make their comments section work for years and they can't get it to be socially acceptable because Canadians, especially Canadian Boomers/ Baby Boomers who haunt the place, are garbage people. I sent them an email a few months ago after their second policy update in a year telling them they should just delete the entire thing, good on IMDB for actually going through with it.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/flat/265715612?p=1

That's a pretty sad thread guys. :(

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Casimir Radon posted:

How am I supposed to stalk character actresses from 90s B movies now?!

There is quite a lot of "Where are they now?" talk when ever I click on an obscure movie or performer. I seem to recall after Cinema Snob did Pierre Kirby week he or someone eventually revealed in one of his videos or maybe someone posted in their IMDB message board for the actor that family member sort of solved the mystery.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

“no longer providing a positive, useful experience” for the vast majority of its users is the best line to use while shutting down a forum, and should be applied to the entirety of the internet.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
And actually this guy really makes a good point. I did this with EVERY movie.

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000007/flat/265745996?p=1

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Goddammt. I'm gonna miss popping in there every couple years to post threads like "Why doesn't Batman ever run out of web fluid???" and watching the autists loose their minds.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I feel kinda sad about this

I've been posting on the imdb forums for over a decade (although very rarely in recent years, so maybe they've gotten a lot worse than I remember)

it was cool talking with other internet users about movies I liked.. There was always a few people to talk about a forgotten old movie or show

I never really went to the big new titles so maybe those boards had more trolls and stuff

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cubone posted:

didn't we do a weekend web on imdb once, and there were weird little sub-communities that had popped up on like the "shallow hal" board where they would argue about politics and poo poo?

This exact sort of thing happened on the old ESPN message boards years ago. I remember there was one "Monday Night Football" board kind of hidden but when you went into it it was really populated and it was a political discussion board. I guess they got tired of talking about how Dennis Miller was doing on MNF commentary!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Moon Atari posted:

“no longer providing a positive, useful experience” for the vast majority of its users is the best line to use while shutting down a forum, and should be applied to the entirety of the internet.

And indeed, the entire world, God willing

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Cubone posted:

didn't we do a weekend web on imdb once, and there were weird little sub-communities that had popped up on like the "shallow hal" board where they would argue about politics and poo poo?

you could probably do this on gameFAQs honestly
shitloads of deprecated boards for old games that don't get deleted and a large userbase means there's probably some weird poo poo waiting to be found in there

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to miss the director of Transmorphers replying angrily to people who say he sucks: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur5264498/boards/

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

basic hitler posted:

big companies snatching up community websites and promptly strangling the life/charm out of them is like the opposite of a good thing, even if imdb was full of weirdos

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was just thinking, I never really posted on their message boards, but there was one time I did (a long time ago) asking about this random movie from the late 70s that never even got a VHS release (nevermind DVD) and someone actually replied to me with why it was never released on home video and where to get a bootleg.

Who in their right minds could think a Facebook page could replace that? You could post all loving day on there asking about this movie and you'd never, ever get a reply. But on the specific film's IMDB page, you'll get a response.

I mean I am sure their message boards were worthless for new films and stuff, but this argument that "well people can just talk on our Facebook page now" is really dumb.

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
Who will I reminisce with now after I watch an obscure old movie by myself for the first time?

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I was just thinking, I never really posted on their message boards, but there was one time I did (a long time ago) asking about this random movie from the late 70s that never even got a VHS release (nevermind DVD) and someone actually replied to me with why it was never released on home video and where to get a bootleg.

Who in their right minds could think a Facebook page could replace that? You could post all loving day on there asking about this movie and you'd never, ever get a reply. But on the specific film's IMDB page, you'll get a response.

I mean I am sure their message boards were worthless for new films and stuff, but this argument that "well people can just talk on our Facebook page now" is really dumb.

I really do trust that the free-market is going to come up with an alternative since there is a need for what you describe.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Aging Millenial posted:

I really do trust that the free-market is going to come up with an alternative since there is a need for what you describe.

Good because I need to know the juicy details behind "The Skid Kid"!

(this was my nickname in Jr. High but for a completely different reason)

But seriously what are the odds someone is going to specifically seek out a message board/thread for “The Shout” (1978)? It's way different than someone coming across it on the movie's IMDB page or whatever.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Aging Millenial posted:

Disqus could do it right now if IMDB was ok with adding some JavaScript bloat to their pages.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I still can't get over that Brendan Fraser thing. I hope archive.org mirrors the boards before they go

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

good riddance dudes.

it was a nightmare to navigate and filled with boring pedants.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Supposedly imdb's founder said this six months ago:

quote:

As gromit82 indicates, the message boards are not a core function of IMDb. IMDb has over 250 million users per month and only the tiniest fraction of those visit the boards and even fewer post on the boards. The boards therefore make up an insignificant percentage of overall IMDb page views. It is difficult to specifically sell advertising against message board content for obvious reasons so the only ads which run there are low price run-of-site banners at the top/bottom of a subset of boards pages where we would typically only earn revenue if a customer clicks-through and signs up for whatever is being advertised. On the other hand, managing the boards and operating the technology behind them is disproportionately costly since the board systems are so old. While we do not comment in detail on specific aspects of IMDb's business, it is easy to draw the obvious conclusion behind the financial cost vs. benefit of the boards system.

From a traffic, resources and expenses perspective IMDb would be much better off without boards. There are some community benefits though and boards without a significant troll population flourish with interesting discussions and genuine community which is why we keep them around. Due to technology limitations we have to enforce an expiry policy on most boards so much of the discussion is temporary and therefore valuable content is often lost to keep the system operational. We are always looking at better ways to preserve this type of content and we have some thoughts on providing better mechanisms to transfer useful boards content into the permanent parts of the database.

I really must insist that it has undoubtedly been the habit of a lot of cinephiles to see a film or tv show ............> look up on imdb ................> check boards for discussion. imdb's boards were a central hub for cinephiles as they were bigger than every other movie forum. It was also one of the mediums that influenced the discussion around big blockbusters -- I'm thinking of "Ghostbusters" here and the bad super-hero flops from DC.

Does Amazon's ownership of it bring Amazon in conflict with film studios?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This is good but also terrifying. Letting millions of the most toxic people on the planet loose into the wild is dangerous.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
lowtax actually just bribed the admins so all of the wayward ex-users would come here.

Well played, loltax. well played.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Seriously if they go with the shutdown there is real opportunity for an alternative service. Lowtax should jump on it.

imdb's message boards helped drive the conversation re cinema. They're huge.

gumdrops
Sep 12, 2016
Let's all petition more administrators of high-traffic sites to follow suit so we can finally get rid of the bottom half of the Internet

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Blockbuster Video will proudly accept any and all newcomers from IMDB.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

People who watch the Resident Evil movies deserve to be hurt.

Anyway, this is a sad day. I need to go to the Out For Justice board and ask "Whose hot dawg is this?" one last time.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
On the other hand this imdb user makes a pro-shutdown argument:

quote:

The same people who turned the IMDb message boards into a big *beep* show are now crying like little bitches and starting petitions to keep the boards alive. Yeah, good luck with that.

YOU poisoned the boards to the point that they can no longer survive. It's not Trump, it's not Putin, it's not Clinton. It's 100% you. Just like all dirty parasites, you have ultimately killed your host.

And at the end of the day people like me are happy. I sure as hell won't miss these boards. And I've been a member for 10 YEARS. IMDb will finally be what it always should've been: a site where people can find interesting info/trivia about cinema. That's it. No forums, no boards, none of that.

And if the ratings stay after the boards shut down, then maybe they will become something that people can (again) trust. No more fanboys organizing themselves on the boards and voting dumb comicbook movies up and downvoting the "competition".

Finally, IMDb will be clean.

:smugdon:

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I don't know how to read IMDB on facebook or twitter and while there forums weren't particularly great or anything but sometimes it was alright if you had a question about a movie or TV series.

I don't know what I am going to do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
One thing you have to consider is the scale of IMDB just as a "forums" site. ***EVERY SINGLE*** movie, **and** ***EVERY SINGLE PERSON**, actor or crew, **ALL** have their OWN INDIVIDUAL BOARD. That means that the site actually runs **literally** MILLIONS of individual forums. Then add a private messaging system for EVERY USER on top of that.

That has got to take a LOT of infrastructure.

If you've been around SA for a number of years, you know how the boards have had problems due to old infrastructure and code, and too many users using that old system, which has to be fixed with database code updates, hardware updates, etc.

Now consider that the IMDB forum system still uses for the most part its original code; they're the same boards with the same functionality of the very early 2000's.

Like YouTube, they are probably operating the boards at a loss, and have been for quite a long time, which they can absorb as an expense, because they are owned by Amazon. IMDB message boards didn't even go online until well after Amazon purchased them. It's making me lol to see people commenting about how the "free market" is going to open an alternate site. Yeah, as if some 4chan users are going to be able to set up the infrastructure and bandwidth to do that, given the above.

So it all comes down to killing an expense and getting rid of "old" Web 1.0, which I guess they feel is a good time to do now since most users are just looking at trivia and posting on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc. Sure they have thousands of people upset about it, but this probably makes up less than 1% of everyone on the site now, given modern devices like tablets and phones. This is 2017 after all.

If it all goes to poo poo (it won't) they can always bring the boards back.

I sound like an apologist... I'm not; I'm trying to show/see their reasoning. I still for the most part have a late 90's Internet mindset. (I guess by that I mean I prefer forums to social media, the Internet shouldn't be taken seriously, information wants to be free, and all that kind of poo poo.) So I certainly prefer the IMDB boards and wish and want them to stay up, but as I am now a middle aged person(:() I know that the way of the world is things change and crying about it won't stop it.

• Locked thread