Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/imdb-message-boards-shut-down-1201977581/

quote:

Blame the trolls: IMDb, the Amazon-owned website that provides movie, TV and celebrity content, has decided to shut down its message boards because they’re “no longer providing a positive, useful experience” for the vast majority of its users.

“As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb’s message boards on February 20, 2017,” IMDb said in a notice posted on its site on Friday. “We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.”

The shutdown also means IMDb’s private-messaging system will be disabled on Monday, Feb. 20. The website said the decision to kill off the message boards came “only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.”

Amazon, which acquired IMDb in 1998, says the site has more than 250 million monthly users worldwide.

The website said part of the decision was driven by the fact that users have migrated to IMDb’s social-media accounts as the main forums for comments and communication with IMDb editors and other users. It currently has 6.9 million followers on its Facebook page and nearly 3 million for its official Twitter account.

According to IMDb, it plans to launch new features in 2017 to help users “communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways,” but it didn’t provide details on what those might be.

I think this is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
can't wait til all the refugees come here

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
IMDB had message boards?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Read as: An amazon executive got owned HARD in an imdb flame-war

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
drat it, I liked to read those on strange movies

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think this is a good thing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Dun dun dun, another one bites the dust.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The PLAN is progressing nicely. Soon, my goons, soon we shall be the only forum left on the internet!

Mwhahahahahah!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
didn't we do a weekend web on imdb once, and there were weird little sub-communities that had popped up on like the "shallow hal" board where they would argue about politics and poo poo?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So who would win in a fight, Legolas or the Shewinston from Ghostbusters?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

EorayMel posted:

IMDB had message boards?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
loving FINALLY.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Sadly, now that 1000's of users can VR-chat in real time about how ugly kate winslet is, those boards are obsolete.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
drat, now where can I go to discuss film? I wonder if every actress' board still has that inevitable thread asking about her tittays

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Social media is a plague

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

jon joe posted:

The PLAN is progressing nicely. Soon, my goons, soon we shall be the only forum left on the internet!

Mwhahahahahah!

But what about the weekend web?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

its all nice on rice posted:

But what about the weekend web?

We'll replace it with more photoshops.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Gaunab posted:

I think this is a good thing.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

thats too bad it was like a lil joke snack when youd see a funny list of discussions beneath a movies page

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

big companies snatching up community websites and promptly strangling the life/charm out of them is like the opposite of a good thing, even if imdb was full of weirdos

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
i like these actress shes very talented what movies can i see her feet thank yuo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

basic hitler posted:

big companies snatching up community websites and promptly strangling the life/charm out of them is like the opposite of a good thing, even if imdb was full of weirdos

Two decades isn't exactly prompt, but I agree.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
My favorite trope: "Is ________ gay?" on the Breaking Bad forums.

Is Gale gay?
Is Gus gay?
Is Flynn gay?
Is the fly gay?
Is Lidia's humidifier gay?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Flies can't be gay.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I hope we get some refugees as good as Cobra Commander. This place will turn around in no time. Hopefully the Gamefaqs message boards are next

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

EorayMel posted:

IMDB had message boards?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The IMDB boards are toxic as gently caress. Worse than yahoo comments even.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
the espn comment sections were great before they switched to facebook

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I dont think this loving matters.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
Good. The layout was awful and they did not allow enough comments per page.

Pawn 17 posted:

The IMDB boards are toxic as gently caress. Worse than yahoo comments even.

Does yahoo even do comments anymore? I stopped going there a few years ago when all but the main stories didn't have comment sections. I think they were trying to integrate tumblr into yahoo more or something.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Rest in Peace.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Moana is the poo poo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have no opinion about this thing.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Anonymity-enabling online communities of every type are getting phased out and removed, comment sections in particular. By 2020 half of the Internet will likely be heavily moderated social media sites (Good luck saying anything bad about Marvel's newest movie without Disney-sponsored administrators suspending your accounts!) The other half will be advertisements.

It's only a matter of time until some company buys this site out just to purge it. Wait... you don't think that's why Lowtax made this thread, do you?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

somethingawful will always be a free spirited hog pit

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I can't remember who said it (I think it was on this site years ago) but there's this one comment that keeps popping into my mind and it was something along the lines of how "the future is basically all of the bad parts about cyberpunk, like corporate-controlled everyday life, suppression of liberties, private security everywhere, basic all-around lack of human rights, etc, without any of the good parts like cybernetic limbs and flying cars and underground hoverboard gangs and robot sidekicks and stuff."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We did it, we outlived IMDB's forums.

We should do a Weekend Web on them to celebrate and archive the weirdness one last time.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Those were the first forums I used to post in in the early 2000s!

Rip sweet prince

• Locked thread