Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

realbez posted:

Movie and tv threads make me think everyone only watches things out of the corner of their eye while texting or playing tinder crush or something with the amount of basic poo poo goons misinterpret or miss

I thought I was the only one who noticed this it's loving ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Jennifer Lawrence should've crashed the ship into a nearby sun in order to bring swift justice to the space rapist. It would've killed everyone else onboard and scrapped humanity's only shot at a new life in space, but it would've been a real "yas kween" moment for me, the person who hates movies and can't abide anything even approaching drama

Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."

Squashing Machine posted:

Jennifer Lawrence should've crashed the ship into a nearby sun in order to bring swift justice to the space rapist. It would've killed everyone else onboard and scrapped humanity's only shot at a new life in space, but it would've been a real "yas kween" moment for me, the person who hates movies and can't abide anything even approaching drama

Agree.

"Space Rapist" would also be a badass title for some B-grade horror!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

I thought I was the only one who noticed this it's loving ridiculous

It makes tviv and cd comedy forums

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Toadvine posted:

Any movie with a poster of their stars just staring at the viewer is bound to have not much else going for it

im the abused greek letters making the title plssxngxrs.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
well, it sounds quite boring, so it's got that going for it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't like Chris Pratt

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
where are the screenshots of chris pratts rear end

for the love of god

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think the ending of the movie should have been Chris Pratt dies saving the ship and Jlaw would be faced with the same choice to wake up someone up for companionship or spend the rest of her life alone and have the movie close with her looking at another capsule.

ooh poo poo thats good

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 13, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think the ending of the movie should have been Chris Pratt dies saving the ship and Jlaw would be faced with the same choice to wake up someone up for companionship or spend the rest of her life alone and have the movie close with her looking at another capsule.

That's actually p dece idea

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Blue Train posted:

I don't like Chris Pratt

Same, he's fun in small doses, not as a lead.

He was the least convincing main character in Guardians and that's including the cartoon raccoon and tree person

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The entire point of the whole movie is that once thawed, you can't get refrozen. Why is it then a major point of the film that JLaw is the first person to book a round trip? How are they going to refreeze her for the return trip? They haven't got the facility to do it on the ship (obviously) and the planet they're going to is billed as some unspoiled new start deal that is unlikely to have the incredible-only-available-on-Earth freezing tech.

Eh, I enjoyed it for what it was, but the last 25 minutes were lazy as hell.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Applewhite posted:

should have been much better than it was.

That describes every Paul W. S. Anderson movie.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

Same, he's fun in small doses, not as a lead.

He was the least convincing main character in Guardians and that's including the cartoon raccoon and tree person

he deserved to be eaten by those rat creatures or the big snakes because he intentionally hobbled his situational awareness with headphones while in a hazardous environment.

2/10 would not breach and clear.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I just watched this last night too. Are you one of my split-personalities?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I was really bothered by how the ship would vent gasses every time some dumbass wanted to go on a space walk.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whats passend=gers i dont own a tv :smug:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

The entire point of the whole movie is that once thawed, you can't get refrozen. Why is it then a major point of the film that JLaw is the first person to book a round trip? How are they going to refreeze her for the return trip? They haven't got the facility to do it on the ship (obviously) and the planet they're going to is billed as some unspoiled new start deal that is unlikely to have the incredible-only-available-on-Earth freezing tech.

Eh, I enjoyed it for what it was, but the last 25 minutes were lazy as hell.

I think the 2 can't refreeze on the ship because presumably it's complicated and they don't know/can't wake up whoever is competent to do it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mordor She Wrote posted:

This is literally the ending I was pulling for ever since Chris woke her up. THAT would be serious Sci Fi right there.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

I just watched this last night too. Are you one of my split-personalities?

You might be because this also bothered me:

Who What Now posted:

I was really bothered by how the ship would vent gasses every time some dumbass wanted to go on a space walk.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hey applewhite can you start a voltaire forum?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

hey applewhite can you start a voltaire forum?

The musician or the philosopher?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

oh for f

4*30*3*5000 = 1,800,000 meals

70*365*3*2 = 153,300 meals

1,800,000 - 153,300 = still a fuckload of meals uh oh better ration to two meals a day once a week boooohooo

I was right, that was interesting to see.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

The musician or the philosopher?

philosopher

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
heres a fun fact for your forum:

In "The Friends of Voltaire", Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
that would be a pretty funny gag gift. a quote that is misattributed like that lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why would a ship carrying 5,500 people only have one infirmary that can only treat one patient at a time?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Is there boobies

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Why would a ship carrying 5,500 people only have one infirmary that can only treat one patient at a time?

Because if it had two then both the main characters could go back to sleep.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
was that a good movie?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i saw the preview and was like "i wonder if that would be good to watch"? but i was so tired i watched an infinite loop of forensic files :sad:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WatermelonGun posted:

Is there boobies

Katniss needs a better sports bra, but there's no full frontal or anything.

Applewhite posted:

Because if it had two then both the main characters could go back to sleep.

Besides as a sloppy plot contrivance.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Is it at least a good looking movie? Like Elysium wasn't great writing wise but the earth based locations were grimy dirtpunk and the space station locations were futuristic and luxurious

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

Is it at least a good looking movie? Like Elysium wasn't great writing wise but the earth based locations were grimy dirtpunk and the space station locations were futuristic and luxurious

YEAH!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It looked pretty good yeah. When you only have to pay two actors you have a lot more budget to build some practical sets and have some nice effects.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

It's a very good looking movie.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Who What Now posted:

It looked pretty good yeah. When you only have to pay two actors you have a lot more budget to build some practical sets and have some nice effects.

There was also that old sea captain that happened to wake up to solve the plot and then immediately die

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you're in less than 10 minutes total then you don't count as starring in it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Who What Now posted:

It could have been like the automatic doctor pods in Prometheus that were only built to treat one gender and one gender only.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Vakal posted:

It could have been like the automatic doctor pods in Prometheus that were only built to treat one gender and one gender only.

yeah well that one had a good reason because it was supposed to be only for the old dude or something, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Applewhite posted:

I was right, that was interesting to see.

I figured it slightly differently.

Chris and Jen need about 4000 calories of food a day total. Assume they have magic medicine and both live another 70 years, they need around 102,000,000 calories to keep themselves alive.

By the same metrics, 5000 people need 1,200,000,000 calories to survive a 4 month journey. They'd be light by 150 calories a day each from CP and JLaw eating all their munchies, or the equivalent of a good size banana, or 3 fingers of a Kit Kat.

• Locked thread