Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did you know that Chris Pine and Chris Pratt are two completely different actors? Because I didn't, and so spent most of the movie enjoying how the main character is named "Jim" in both this movie and Star Trek.

It was a really good movie, though. Solid sci fi in the classic tradition you almost never see anymore.

According to Wikipedia the movie drew some criticism because the main character was portrayed sympathetically even though he was a creepy stalker. This is perfectly true but since when do protagonists always have to be neatly pigeonholed into "good people" and "bad people?" Jim's character acted true to life and it's a testament to what a good person he is that he just woke someone else up to alleviate his crippling loneliness instead of smashing the other cryo pods in a fit of pique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is there a montage of him checking all the other passengers and skipping over the fatties and uggos?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I was with you till the word piqued

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I just randomly watched Event Horizon.
its still dumb, but good, like hellraiser in space.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drunken Baker posted:

Is there a montage of him checking all the other passengers and skipping over the fatties and uggos?

I think we're supposed to just assume that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

staberind posted:

I just randomly watched Event Horizon.
its still dumb, but good, like hellraiser in space.

I thought Event Horizon should have been much better than it was. Based on the trailers I was expecting something more like 1408 in space.

Or I would have expected that if 1408 had been released at that time.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
yeah i was expecting a LOT more creepy rape poo poo based on the grumblings i came across but after I illegally downloaded it it was actually pretty bulletproof lol. You'd have to really be trying to be a hateful rear end in a top hat to get too concerned about it, outside of the intentional squirm factor of condemning jennifer lawrence to be your sole gently caress mate in solitude for the rest of your lives on a 5 star luxury super space cruise ship

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

yeah i was expecting a LOT more creepy rape poo poo based on the grumblings i came across but after I illegally downloaded it it was actually pretty bulletproof lol. You'd have to really be trying to be a hateful rear end in a top hat to get too concerned about it, outside of the intentional squirm factor of condemning jennifer lawrence to be your sole gently caress mate in solitude for the rest of your lives on a 5 star luxury super space cruise ship

I dunno man he was basically kidnapping her because he liked her and then loving her under false pretenses that's pretty skeevy.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
My only moral objection to passengers is that it was bad and boring

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I thought Event Horizon should have been much better than it was. Based on the trailers I was expecting something more like 1408 in space.

Or I would have expected that if 1408 had been released at that time.

It was a minimalist film with a maximalist set.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Change Chris Pratt into Chris Farley and make it a horror comedy as a young girl tries to avoid to ongoing advances of a disgusting fatty.

Woden
May 6, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

outside of the intentional squirm factor of condemning jennifer lawrence to be your sole gently caress mate in solitude for the rest of your lives on a 5 star luxury super space cruise ship

Couldn't she have gotten in the one person medic bay and refrozen herself?

realbez posted:

My only moral objection to passengers is that it was bad and boring

:same:

Woden fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 13, 2017

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Any movie with a poster of their stars just staring at the viewer is bound to have not much else going for it

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Elman posted:

I dunno man he was basically kidnapping her because he liked her and then loving her under false pretenses that's pretty skeevy.

well yes that is the premise of the entire movie lol, but luckily he turned out to be a charming kidnapper who looked like chris pratt rather than what you'd expect someone to be like who'd do that.

Woden posted:

Couldn't she have gotten in the one person medic bay and refrozen herself?

yes ... but she chose not to, instead opted to pity gently caress chris pratt for the rest of their lives or something i guess they actually liked each other in the end i dunno. it was hard to stomach after the fire breathing death anus part

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
wow applewhite has another poorly thought opinions on another lovely movie.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Passengers was better than I expected but it's basically a skin flick for Pratt and Lawrence and there's not much substance beyond that. The film has no moral or message--it teases at a few deeper concepts but never explores them. It's a very visual movie with a script that seems vestigial.

I'd say it's fun to watch on a big screen but you'll forget it almost as soon as you've seen it.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Toadvine posted:

Any movie with a poster of their stars just staring at the viewer is bound to have not much else going for it

They should have gotten Jared Leto to play every role.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
There is another movie called Passengers from 2008 with Anne Hathaway and Patrick Wilson. It is OK.

The ending scene from Alan Parker's 1984 movie Birdy is re-enacted in it. Watch for it!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
We need a remake of Passenger 57.

I need more Wesley Snipes in my life.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that people could hook themselves to a flimsy wire and dick around in space with 0 supervision.

Did the movie hint as to why the rear end in a top hat robot tells the girl about chris pratt waking her on purpose ?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

I liked that people could hook themselves to a flimsy wire and dick around in space with 0 supervision.

Did the movie hint as to why the rear end in a top hat robot tells the girl about chris pratt waking her on purpose ?

Yeah the robot misunderstood something Chris said to mean that they had already had the conversation

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Like 5 seconds before he hosed up and told her

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OP I just watched it last night also and agree with you. However it is a bit crazy that jlaw wouldn't take the choice given to her at the end. Guess andy has a some good d

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Movie and tv threads make me think everyone only watches things out of the corner of their eye while texting or playing tinder crush or something with the amount of basic poo poo goons misinterpret or miss

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is this a prequel to Pandorum? The film where stasis pods open a million years before they reach the new Earth and everyone evolves into monsters and eats each other like in the Descent?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

OP I just watched it last night also and agree with you. However it is a bit crazy that jlaw wouldn't take the choice given to her at the end. Guess andy has a some good d

She chose to stay because even if the circumstances of their meeting were fake, their love was real.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

is this the prequel 2 la la land, before the genetic disorders set in

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

She chose to stay because even if the circumstances of their meeting were fake, their love was real.

yeah but I'm not an 18th century victorian woman who believes in pure true forever love so I would think that living out the rest of your life with other people would be better than 70 years in isolation with some dude. I mean I guess you could make the argument she already gave up her old life, but it still is a bit sappy.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

whoah i didn't know this movie had actor i loe and actress i love haha bet there's some real moments

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

It has that Morse Code "SOS" there in the middle, so you know it's a film for smart people.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
That is a seriously terrible poster. I didn't even realize it was a sci fi film until I caught the trailer by chance on one of the few occasions I watch network television. I thought it was just a movie with those two people on a boat or something.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my favourite part of the movie is how over decades and decades two people slowly depleted the ships food stocks, so when the rest of the passengers woke up with 4 months remaining in their journey they all starved to death

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

my favourite part of the movie is how over decades and decades two people slowly depleted the ships food stocks, so when the rest of the passengers woke up with 4 months remaining in their journey they all starved to death

I thought of that, too. If someone did the math on how big a dent two people could make on a 4month food supply for 5000+ people over the course of 50-70 years I'd be interested to see it.

I was also lolling at when Chris brought her the roses. I was like "yeah the colonists won't be able to grow roses anymore because I opened up their only genetic sample but here you go."

It looked like they started a farm or something on the ledo deck to sustain themselves so maybe the other colonists won't starve to death on the trip, their colony will just fail because all their livestock and crops have been opened up early.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
So the entire movie is Chris Pratt destroying humanity's future to gently caress jlaw? Seems legit.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Applewhite posted:

I thought of that, too. If someone did the math on how big a dent two people could make on a 4month food supply for 5000+ people over the course of 50-70 years I'd be interested to see it.

oh for f

4*30*3*5000 = 1,800,000 meals

70*365*3*2 = 153,300 meals

1,800,000 - 153,300 = still a fuckload of meals uh oh better ration to two meals a day once a week boooohooo

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

1gnoirents posted:

You'd have to really be trying to be a hateful rear end in a top hat to get too concerned about condemning jennifer lawrence to be your sole gently caress mate in solitude for the rest of your lives

I've always wondered if we'd think villains in movies were as evil if 'evil music' didn't play when they're on screen. Passengers answered that for me I guess.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hardawn posted:

I was with you till the word piqued

Would you prefer "pricked"

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Traveling through space to colonize another world is always an interesting subject due to the time and distance factors.

I remember reading a short story once, not sure where, that involved humans building a giant spaceship to take millions of their best and brightest people to go start a colony on another Earth-like planet.

So the colonists freeze themselves, make the journey which takes 100's of years, and land on their new planet only to find it already colonized by huge cities filled with humans more advanced than they were.

Eventually they figure out what happened. Turns out that while they were sleeping, the people back on Earth kept on inventing new poo poo and eventually created another giant spaceship with engines that were faster as the first one they built. So they sent out another group of colonists that actually beat the first group to the planet by like 50+ years.

So the story involved a group of now minority people who were way behind both technically and intellectually and were basically treated as dirty, dumb immigrants.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I think the ending of the movie should have been Chris Pratt dies saving the ship and Jlaw would be faced with the same choice to wake up someone up for companionship or spend the rest of her life alone and have the movie close with her looking at another capsule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahah. That story sounds great.

• Locked thread