Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also only semi-related but this semester my college added a brand new course to the curriculum and now I have to take it to qualify for my degree even though I'm far past it which is really cool. Even worse than that, it's not even a real class, it's an intermediary course (DMED 130) that bridges 110 and 150, which is not necessary because 110 and 120 teach you everything you learn in this new class

Man it's so cool to have to pay for a class I've already taken to learn about the same subjects I already learned about and do the same homework assignments I did a year ago. so awesome. college loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Because they can?

The whole college/student loans/books thing is a giant scam. Even downloading PDFs doesn't always work because now most books come with a one time use code that you have to put into a website to access some useless garbage online.

This is why student government is totally loving useless, they need to be agitating the student body into demanding that faculty stop using books like that and threatening to boycott any professor who refuses.

Instead they just sit around circlejerking over pisspants bullshit like "nuhhh the activities budget is 0.5% biased towards this one program that someone in student government might have been connected to?? maybe??????"*

*at least that's what i remember from my time in university

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

I like when pearson bugs out and doesnt work or is down for maintenance which is frequently. those guys are the biggest loving criminals dude. gently caress them.

i like how they send a young hot representative to the first day of class, so that they can take the heaps of abuse from the students instead of the professor when they announce the pricing tiers :v:

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I want a book where you buy it and there's a big iron lock and to pass your class you have to complete a quest into the bottom of a perilous dungeon at the end of which you will suck my dick and spit my cum into a key mold, which when dry will unlock the book and immediately dissolve so you may never use the key again until you come back here and suck this dick again.

That's what I want.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Lol if you went to college

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Do you seriously not even get physical copies of the $200+ books you buy these days? I actually took a lot of my books to work after college for reference. Especially math books and such.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I was English major, I bought my books like I did my homework, horizontal.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It depends on the class but it seems like math books are the main ones you don't get physical copies of anymore

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pawn 17 posted:

Do you seriously not even get physical copies of the $200+ books you buy these days? I actually took a lot of my books to work after college for reference. Especially math books and such.

I've only had one class in my whole 4-year college experience that did that, and it was because it was a math course that had the dumb online software thing attached to it like a parasite. It's probably more common in bigger schools with high attendance or in more urban areas (as opposed to suburban, where I live).

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

lol if you think they will provide you with a golden book for your money. now a days you dont even get a paper photocopy. they make you pay $200 for the "online code" that "unlocks" an ebook for 4 months.

oh whats that you think you can learn from an old book for cheaper? well gently caress you, the homework requires you to submit your work through the same online account as the textbook. i hope you like failing university

I haven't been in school for several years, but the only classes that did this to me were math classes and it really sucked. But my degree required only 4 math classes and one of those didn't have an online component. I was able to download a PDF or buy some ancient $20 copy on Amazon for almost every other class.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah, they change two words in the book and call it a new edition.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, they change two words in the book and call it a new edition.

And those two words are in the Introduction, not the main text. Yes, Jane Eyre has changed its dialog in the last 175 years.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

It's always good when you get one that says "this is the book for the class, but don't buy it because we're going to go over everything that's in it in class anyway". Which is why I always wait a few days before even going to the effort to look for them.

That means that class is worthless btw

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Also only semi-related but this semester my college added a brand new course to the curriculum and now I have to take it to qualify for my degree even though I'm far past it which is really cool. Even worse than that, it's not even a real class, it's an intermediary course (DMED 130) that bridges 110 and 150, which is not necessary because 110 and 120 teach you everything you learn in this new class

Man it's so cool to have to pay for a class I've already taken to learn about the same subjects I already learned about and do the same homework assignments I did a year ago. so awesome. college loving owns

You could easily petition out of that given you've already covered the material you dumb rear end

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

That means that class is worthless btw

Good thing he's saving money then

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Did you guys not just buy the international edition of the books for classes? International editions were maybe 20 dollars for a hardback.

I thought only rich white people bought the 'US edition' sold in the uni bookstore (i guess most goons are rich white dudes so makes sense).

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
yeah and its great

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Just find someone in the class that already ponied up for the cash, buy them lunch and offer them like $40 to borrow(rent) their book/pdf/login or whatever for a day and copy the gently caress outta it? They get lunch and some cash and you save like 90% of what a real book costs. Win-Win

If its an online-only site or PDF, that's what print screen key is for if it disallows printing or saving to PDF.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Most people get financial aid or loans and think of it as free money because they are stupid as poo poo so buy the bookstore books and computers and poo poo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blockade posted:

Did you guys not just buy the international edition of the books for classes? International editions were maybe 20 dollars for a hardback.

I thought only rich white people bought the 'US edition' sold in the uni bookstore (i guess most goons are rich white dudes so makes sense).

Maybe you should read the thread

Everyone downloads their books except when the class requires an online homework code that is only sold with a book, in which case there is usually no way around it apart from just buying a code for the homework, which is like five dollars less than a book and a code.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe you should read the thread

Everyone downloads their books except when the class requires an online homework code that is only sold with a book, in which case there is usually no way around it apart from just buying a code for the homework, which is like five dollars less than a book and a code.

I see. I've never had a class where 'homework' was graded by anyone other than the professor or TA, that sounds like a scam though.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a state job with a union pension waiting at the end of my career. All my training materials/uniforms are fully & continuously provided to me by your state tax dollars.

I had 5 ex-coworkers go to nursing school & the state paid for everything. They even adjusted their schedule so they can do 2 doubles on Sat/Sun and a regular 8hr shift on Fri night. All they had to do was sign/agree to work for the state for 6 years as an RN. So yeah, fully paid degree while working & a guaranteed job afterwards for 6 years with immediate promotion/job title after graduation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i have only seen online homework codes in first year psychology courses.

history classes on the other hand are actually quite a bargain, as history does not change so you can get the oldest edition or even an entirely different book

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

I have a state job with a union pension waiting at the end of my career. All my training materials/uniforms are fully & continuously provided to me by your state tax dollars.

I had 5 ex-coworkers go to nursing school & the state paid for everything. They even adjusted their schedule so they can do 2 doubles on Sat/Sun and a regular 8hr shift on Fri night. All they had to do was sign/agree to work for the state for 6 years as an RN. So yeah, fully paid degree while working & a guaranteed job afterwards for 6 years with immediate promotion/job title after graduation.

This is loving horseshit I hope Trump gets rid of this wasteful nonsense

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I had a gently caress the system type political philosophy lecturer once who sent us links to Scribd for our readings, and when they caught onto him about that he just started using his faculty free printing card to print us all (about 50 people) huge packets of stuff for our readings.

The system ended up loving him though, they didn't renew his teaching contract.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've always heard horror stories about college textbook prices, but the 2 community colleges and 1 state college I went to were generally pretty reasonable? Professors were pretty sympathetic about the cost of things and often assigned cheaper books. Even then, you 9 out of 10 times they'd be okay with you getting an old edition. Back in community for my general ed math and chemistry they made us get HOMEWORK CODES and just lol having to pay $100 for the opportunity to do math homework.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Math and science are the worst of it and it's because of Pearson

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

so i completed summer 2009 and spring 2010, and spring 2011. Not a lot of school but about 36-40 hours (don't feel like checking)

college algebra was the only book i couldn't pirate due to one-time use code fuckery, however i bought the psych book because it had a really fuckin' high resell value and I wasn't paying for the books out of hand so i knew i could get $80 for the book if i showed up the day before the semester ended and the store hadn't updated the buy/sell value in their computers yet.

The only place I got hosed on was my government teacher trying to do his job better and making us do mock-congress stuff more than 75% of the plano-fed students had already done in highschool but that was like $25, not bad compared to what people pay for books

I hope it hasn't changed much because I have actually enrolled for the fall and my finances more or less assume i can pirate the books lmao

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i have only seen online homework codes in first year psychology courses.

history classes on the other hand are actually quite a bargain, as history does not change so you can get the oldest edition or even an entirely different book

I mean

The books for a history course are cheap

But is there a worse class for return on investment? Maybe not.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I mean

The books for a history course are cheap

But is there a worse class for return on investment? Maybe not.

anything with "studies" on the end of it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think i only bought books as a freshman in college, after that I only bought the bare minimum "access code" bullshit ones for the classes with a garbage online portion. The rest I just borrowed or downloaded. What a tremendous scam.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
From my experience the professors all made the textbooks optional.

Whenever a professor tried to pull any pearson bullshit, hundreds of international students living hand to mouth chose to actually survive instead and dropped the class in question. The professors shat themselves at the prospect of having their subject axed by the faculty.

Worked out pretty well.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is why student government is totally loving useless, they need to be agitating the student body into demanding that faculty stop using books like that and threatening to boycott any professor who refuses.

Instead they just sit around circlejerking over pisspants bullshit like "nuhhh the activities budget is 0.5% biased towards this one program that someone in student government might have been connected to?? maybe??????"*

*at least that's what i remember from my time in university

Anybody with the time for student gov has the money to not give a gently caress about text book taxin.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pawn 17 posted:

This is the best part. You pay $200 for a book and think that you'll recoup some of your money when you sell it back to the school store. Then you find out that they'll give you $20 for your $200 book and then they resell it for $150. I have a bunch of old textbooks now because that's just a big loving scam.

gently caress them. gently caress them hard. gently caress them all so hard. I hate this country. I should just git out!

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is the best part. You pay $200 for a book and think that you'll recoup some of your money when you sell it back to the school store. Then you find out that they'll give you $20 for your $200 book and then they resell it for $150. I have a bunch of old textbooks now because that's just a big loving scam.

gently caress them. gently caress them hard. gently caress them all so hard. I hate this country. I should just git out!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Blockade posted:

international editions had the exact same chapters but the chapter problems were often out of order and/or used slightly different numbers, not really a problem when all you had to do was borrow a classmate's book once a week to make copies of the problems in the library but I could see this being a barrier to some goons.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

I think i only bought books as a freshman in college, after that I only bought the bare minimum "access code" bullshit ones for the classes with a garbage online portion. The rest I just borrowed or downloaded. What a tremendous scam.

I went back to school this spring and am encountering this garbage now. A couple of my courses also have "special" editions of the textbook that are just loose pages without binding so I can never resell them or return them and of course can't buy them anywhere but the bookstore.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My favorite part about Pearson books/software is that you can get hosed on some online assignments by ridiculous poo poo like whether or not you've put a space after a formula by accident. Don't you loving dare mistype and leave a space after your equal sign, you piece of poo poo.

Also, I think my cost for two books this semester was nearly $400, but I haven't taken either book out of its shrink wrap.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

international editions had the exact same chapters but the chapter problems were often out of order and/or used slightly different numbers, not really a problem when all you had to do was borrow a classmate's book once a week to make copies of the problems in the library but I could see this being a barrier to some goons.

The school library keeps copies in reserve, lol. "friends" pfffft.. what a rube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My favorite part about Pearson books/software is that you can get hosed on some online assignments by ridiculous poo poo like whether or not you've put a space after a formula by accident. Don't you loving dare mistype and leave a space after your equal sign, you piece of poo poo.

Yea this, also it is purposefully inconsistent and full of gotchya moments, like sometimes it will want answers written in a different format without making it obvious. Like one problem it'll ask for the x intercepts of f(x) as an ordered pair, and the next will ask the same but expect the answer as just the x value by itself without making it obvious that the required answer format is different. So I'll do the problem again, arrive at the same answer, and then mash enter out of frustration to see where I went wrong and it'll be like "Correct answer: 5" "Your answer: (5, 0)"

• Locked thread