Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
If so, how come that isn't illegal yet?

a solid gold text book for humanities 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, the total for my books for this past semester was 250 dollars or like 150 to rent them. Instead I found PDFs and paid 0 dollars for them

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Because they can?

The whole college/student loans/books thing is a giant scam. Even downloading PDFs doesn't always work because now most books come with a one time use code that you have to put into a website to access some useless garbage online.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Because they can?

The whole college/student loans/books thing is a giant scam. Even downloading PDFs doesn't always work because now most books come with a one time use code that you have to put into a website to access some useless garbage online.

I had to do that for a grand total of three classes. PDFs and buying the International Edition for peanuts works 95% of the time.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

An educated poor is a dangerous poor

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just didn't buy the books or go to class and still got a degree with a unimpressive GPA.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Yes, the total for my books for this past semester was 250 dollars or like 150 to rent them. Instead I found PDFs and paid 0 dollars for them

Works right up until the required text is something your professor wrote and is only sold on the campus library. Talk about a racket.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Works right up until the required text is something your professor wrote and is only sold on the campus library. Talk about a racket.

That's why copy machines exist.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kibbles n Shits posted:

That's usually a short academic book for normal book prices though, if it's good and the prof is good it's literally what you're going to school for

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kibbles n Shits posted:

That used to be super common when I was going to school. The college would monopolize the textbook game and all of the graded assignments and tests were specific to the most current textbook so you were hosed into paying 3-400 ish bucks for a book when everyone drat well knows how much a book costs.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

That's why copy machines exist.

Sure, but it's not nearly as easy as just Googling [textbookname].pdf and saving $300 in 5 minutes.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I don't need books to work at mcdonald's op

:smug:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am at a local community college studying history and philosophy, so books are completely optional. The only thing that counts towards my final grade is my feelings but God loving dammit I will make my feelings known on every Internet forum known to man.

spud fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 20, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

That's usually a short academic book for normal book prices though, if it's good and the prof is good it's literally what you're going to school for

When it happened to me, the book was $80 and was a plastic ring bound hackjob of a book that was all of 30 pages, mostly worksheets. The prof was pretty good though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spud posted:

I am at a local community college studying history and philosophy.

Hahahaha

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

*proudly wears itt tech alumni hat*

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Kibbles n Shits posted:

One of my math professors used an open source textbook, so it was only like 20 bucks, and as far as I could tell just as good as 200+ dollar ones

Need more of those imo ya know

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CJacobs posted:

The true college experience.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Because they can?

My school often streamlines this process by having the professor write the book, and the code that comes with it allows access to the schools own online learning software

Fortunately this benefited me because I could just borrow a classmates book, show the IT guys 'Idk man it just didn't have a code in it' and they'd give me access to it

One time they accidentally gave me admin access but I didn't do anything neat with it :(

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I had a stretch where my professors manually uploaded all the individual articles they wanted us to read, in PDF form, on the class website, organization used by week/topic, and with recommended supplemental reading.

Those Professors were heroes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's always good when you get one that says "this is the book for the class, but don't buy it because we're going to go over everything that's in it in class anyway". Which is why I always wait a few days before even going to the effort to look for them.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No textbooks in the school of hard knocks op.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Lol if you didn't go to a good enough school, where the professors use the textbooks they wrote and use students as free editors.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Steal them from the campus book store then sell them back when you're done

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My degree ended up with me buying textbooks that stayed useful for me throughout, and still are kind of. I still spent many hundreds on them all ofc.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

interwhat posted:

Steal them from the campus book store then sell them back when you're done

Our bookstore makes you check your bags at the door for this reason.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I just take the grade hit. gently caress textbooks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you think they will provide you with a golden book for your money. now a days you dont even get a paper photocopy. they make you pay $200 for the "online code" that "unlocks" an ebook for 4 months.

oh whats that you think you can learn from an old book for cheaper? well gently caress you, the homework requires you to submit your work through the same online account as the textbook. i hope you like failing university

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i got a film degree, so my textbook was a $500 copy of Bowfinger

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

lol if you think they will provide you with a golden book for your money. now a days you dont even get a paper photocopy. they make you pay $200 for the "online code" that "unlocks" an ebook for 4 months.

oh whats that you think you can learn from an old book for cheaper? well gently caress you, the homework requires you to submit your work through the same online account as the textbook. i hope you like failing university

A friend of mine just finished her masters and yup this is exactly how it goes down

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Rutibex posted:

Hack the planet!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There was one class where she had to buy a multiple hundred dollar physical book and a 90 dollar online access code, the sole purpose of which was to allow her to submit her assignments

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

There was one class where she had to buy a multiple hundred dollar physical book and a 90 dollar online access code, the sole purpose of which was to allow her to submit her assignments

Was the publisher of said book, by chance, Pearson Education?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

They really scam the gently caress out of kids today don't they lol

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Is she hot?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Was the publisher of said book, by chance, Pearson Education?

Ding ding

Dave_Indeed posted:

Is she hot?

Her face is ok but she has big rear end titties so those are what I mainly look at

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Ding ding

Her face is ok but she has big rear end titties so those are what I mainly look at

You like face and tits, I like rear end and tits.

Tits. Titsbook cost 500 dolla. Tits.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I really enjoyed buying textbooks that the professors wrote and self-published on Amazon. They get to set their own price and the profit goes right into their pockets. Such an obvious conflict of interest and should be banned

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
I like when pearson bugs out and doesnt work or is down for maintenance which is frequently. those guys are the biggest loving criminals dude. gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
McGraw does this too but nothing comes close to the fuckery of Pearson. You pay poo poo loads of money and half the time the system doesn't even work as it should. It works great for professors and TAs though, since they get to grade literally nothing all year as it's all automated for them. Screws students though.

• Locked thread