Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a bone to pick posted:

you obviously haven't seen clerks 1

clerks 1 was neat when it came out, because at the time slackers talking about star wars, telling lewd jokes and saying 'gently caress' every other word was a novel thing. granted, if you showed it to someone who is a teenager now and grew up watching youtube stars who hit 88 fucks-per-minute and don't know what a video store is, they probably won't get it.

everything else was mediocre to bad, especially chasing amy and i don't understand why self-proclaimed film nerds love it so much. 90% of it is just joey lauren adams and ben affleck screaming at each other and i've never made it all the way through it because that movie makes my brain melt and start leaking out of my ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love Kevin Smith's "Musk" And Stink It's a Trait Groovy

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Kevin smith is the greatest american filmmaker

I like the film where Ben Afflack fucks a lesbian straight

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Dogma is at least a decent film. Last time I saw it was because it was assigned in a Christian themes in media class taught by a Jesuit priest. That was a trip.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the wikipedia entry sort of glosses over the part where he loses his humanity, you would think that would be a large part of the story. how does one become a walrus in ones own mind?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

new phone who dis posted:

I found Tusk to be darkly funny and the part at the end is truly hilarious. The guy who plays the bad guy does a wonderfully hammy job of it, too.

Yeah, the villain is a legit good actor and sold that entire project.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

I haven't seen it but movies with this message have been done forever and it's such a banal topic to target currently I don't even know what the point is. Everyone complains about millenials and self absorbed youtube idiots

That's not what it's going after. It's basically a film that says that the people who propagate GBS style humor are sociopaths.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pick posted:

That's not what it's going after. It's basically a film that says that the people who propagate GBS style humor are sociopaths.

I remember it distinctly being a movie about a man turning another man into a walrus?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I like most of his stuff with Jay and Silent Bob, I haven't seen Tusk yet and I'm likely not going to bother with Yoga Hosers, but Red State was just :discourse:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spoiler alert, it's about a guy who thinks laying weak edgelord burns on other people through the vehicle of the internet makes him a hotshot. He's lost his empathy for other people and insists that he's really doing everyone a favor acting the way he is. He learns differently.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Sick burns are the only good thing about this extremely dead and gay forum

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i gotta be honest lol i had no idea kevin smith was still making movies.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Right but in the end it turns out that the world is a cold and dark place worthy of his shittiness because instead of immediately taking him to a hospital for treatment the authorities apparently just put him in an enclosure and his friends come by to feed him fish while he pretends not to know them and weeps internally.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
what on earth? pick loves a furry film?!?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Right but in the end it turns out that the world is a cold and dark place worthy of his shittiness because instead of immediately taking him to a hospital for treatment the authorities apparently just put him in an enclosure and his friends come by to feed him fish while he pretends not to know them and weeps internally.

They might have helped him but he has no friends and he's a douche. They'd have saved that hockey player.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pick posted:

They might have helped him but he has no friends and he's a douche. They'd have saved that hockey player.

Then why did they bring him the fish?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Then why did they bring him the fish?

Friendship inertia. They remember the man he used to be before he was the man he was before he was a walrus.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

the wikipedia entry sort of glosses over the part where he loses his humanity, you would think that would be a large part of the story. how does one become a walrus in ones own mind?

someone please answer? how long is he in there for? does he resist? is there a breaking point for him? does he truly turn into a walrus or does some part of him prefer it and put on an act of sorts?

I don't want to watch this cause body horror grosses me out but I have a weird curiosity about it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

someone please answer? how long is he in there for? does he resist? is there a breaking point for him? does he truly turn into a walrus or does some part of him prefer it and put on an act of sorts?

I don't want to watch this cause body horror grosses me out but I have a weird curiosity about it

You're the loving walrus, why don't you tell us?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo, I AM the walrus :spooky:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
He doesn't actually lose his humanity, they just remove his tongue and shove tusks in his mouth so all he can do is groan and drool.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lmao Kevin Smith aka babies first "I'm into film" director in high school

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

that movie had good atmosphere and i like most of the actors in it but :flaccid:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Tusk was worth watching but Red State was better.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

what on earth? pick loves a furry film?!?

haha, of course Pick loves a film where someone is turned into an animal for the sexual amusement of someone else.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

He doesn't actually lose his humanity, they just remove his tongue and shove tusks in his mouth so all he can do is groan and drool.

Oh that's weird, so why doesnt he get out of the suit and learn sign language at the end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

because he's a sex weird

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

tusk is the only watchable kevin smith film

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
do you think he ever fucks a lady walrus

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

Oh that's weird, so why doesnt he get out of the suit and learn sign language at the end

His arms are being cut up and spliced in weird ways and etc, there's graphics in the background that clarify it.

The tusks are made of his femurs or something too, like the dude's been way cut up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
now that he's thin he looks like he has some Victorian era wasting disease.

especially since he insists on wearing the same kind of clothing.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 19, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

I don't quite remember how long he's in there, but he resists the entire time. There are two points that are tremendously traumatic breaking points. He never wanted to be and does not want to be a walrus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAL7EMMCq-k

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what are those two points? and even if he was all physically hosed up at what point does that translate to staying in the suit forever? or is it just a dumb metaphor

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

uber_stoat posted:

now that he's thin he looks like he has some Victorian era wasting disease.

especially since he insists on wearing the same kind of clothing.

lol he looks like he should be in a childrens hospital

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

what are those two points? and even if he was all physically hosed up at what point does that translate to staying in the suit forever? or is it just a dumb metaphor

One is when he sees the skeleton of another person who the villain had tried to turn into a walrus, which is the most effective scare in the film and frankly works really well, and the other is when the villain forces him to blow him.

Also, it's not a "suit", parts of his own body have been cut up and moved around. There's just additional flesh from other people, that's the "suit".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
gross!! i said that stuff freaks me out now im not sleeping tonight tHANKS SO MUCH

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

gross!! i said that stuff freaks me out now im not sleeping tonight tHANKS SO MUCH

whops, sorry :ohdear:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh man ew alright I went and looked at what this fellow looks like after all is said and done and thats pretty messed up! still dont really understand going to live in a zoo but maybe thats better than a hospital. youd think he would want his fish cooked at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You don't get the impression he chose to go there or wants to live there. It's just that there's nowhere else to put him. It's key to the theme of the film which is that his tragedy has resulted in him being "on display" for the rest of his life in this miserable little concrete enclosure. He also hides away as much as he can in a little shelter there, he doesn't come out for his former girlfriend or best friend when they come to visit.

• Locked thread