Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
"fam," "squad goals," and "bae"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dadada123
Sep 3, 2014

Sensual Simian posted:

Thanks for outing yourself as old

client
Aug 19, 2010

anyone who says "sportsball" should be sent to a death camp

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

xemu posted:

Thanks for outing yourself as old

no problem, now get off my loving lawn

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

client posted:

anyone who says "sportsball" should be sent to a death camp
agreed

Sensual Simian posted:

I didn't know people used fam irl, I thought it was just 4chan poo poo or something, and never heard "squad goals" online or off

I like bae and use it to piss my gf off who absolutely hates that word. I think it's adorable tho

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
"going forward" is the worst phrase in the history of language

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Xaris posted:

I didn't know people used fam irl, I thought it was just 4chan poo poo or something, and never heard "squad goals" online or off

There's some guy at work, a tenured research group leader of like 15 years, who constantly says "I gotchu fam" when you ask him for something. It's really obnoxious because he's pretty much the stereotype that you'd picture if someone said "tenured phd physicist" and I want to give him a wedgie every time he does it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
On saturday morning when you just want to chief session and there's plenty of eggs in the fridge but bitch is all like "let's get brrrunch."

I don't know. I guess girls just pronounce brunch with this like, vocal burn on the 'r' or something. Sounds annoying. Burrunch is the last loving thing i want to hear on my day off. gently caress brunch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Also any business buzzword irritates the hell out of me. Synergy, core competency, paradigm shift, scrum meeting etc....gently caress off.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered one that sounds really weird whenever I hear it. "On your person". Like "Make sure you have your driver's license on your person" instead of saying "Make sure you have your driver's license with you".

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
"What's on the watchybox?" Just say TV, come on.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I just remembered one that sounds really weird whenever I hear it. "On your person". Like "Make sure you have your driver's license on your person" instead of saying "Make sure you have your driver's license with you".

I always assumed the purpose there was to indicate that you would need to be able to present it quickly or often rather than like having it stashed in a bag or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Also any business buzzword irritates the hell out of me. Synergy, core competency, paradigm shift, scrum meeting etc....gently caress off.

Any time I have seen the word "sigma" in any corporate presentations it was a clear sign that management was stupid and things were going to swiftly descend into a world of poo poo.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
"I have the sniff-sniffs. Pass me a tiss-tiss for my no-no."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Supreme Allah posted:

'it is what it is'

What the gently caress. You've said nothing. Just stay quiet.

cest la vie

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

I always assumed the purpose there was to indicate that you would need to be able to present it quickly or often rather than like having it stashed in a bag or something.

Yeah I'm sure there's legitimate uses for it, so I'm not annoyed by the phrase so much as it just sounds odd no matter how many times I hear it

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Schweinhund posted:

"I have the sniff-sniffs. Pass me a tiss-tiss for my no-no."

This is the most aggravating thing i have ever read

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

'it is what it is'

What the gently caress. You've said nothing. Just stay quiet.

This. "It is what it is" = literal definition: "I'm an rear end in a top hat."

Ha that's what I get for replying before reading the rest of the thread first.

Well, don't take it personally.

spinderella fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 29, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spinster posted:

This. "It is what it is" = literal definition: "I'm an rear end in a top hat."

It is what it is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sensual Simian posted:

Who says bae anymore?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
When people omit "to be" from a sentence.
Like "The dog needs let outside", or "The car needs washed".

I've noticed it seems to be mostly people from Pennsylvania that I notice this with, so maybe it's a dialect thing.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Any time I have seen the word "sigma" in any corporate presentations it was a clear sign that management was stupid and things were going to swiftly descend into a world of poo poo.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Using autism as a generic insult. Like "autist" or whatever

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
I hate when people use "and" when they mean "or" like the loving idiot OP who is asking us to present words OR phrases that bother us but instead asked for words AND phrases.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

"whom"

There's about an 80% chance that you're using it wrong. And even if you use it right, it's like 'ooh look at me I'm fancy I know how to read' gently caress you.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

"Core competency" is a useful term if you're analyzing an organization. The rest, not so much.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I hate how the word random is used incorrectly everywhere now. Like, "I bought some random shirts at the store" or even worse when someone describes themselves as being random.

I also hate when the word meal is pronounced "mill".

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

I hate when people use "and" when they mean "or" like the loving idiot OP who is asking us to present words OR phrases that bother us but instead asked for words AND phrases.

No thats not accurate at all fuckhead. Or would be one or the other and im asking for both so its and. I provided both. Perfectly appropriate conjunction. You ask someone if they want peanut butter and jam not peanut butter or jam

dick

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
"Words and/or phrases," plebes.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

"and slash or" -- a phrase only an rear end in a top hat would say

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
stop, no and don't 😆

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Earworm is a terrible loving word and I'm furious that it caught on.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
A youtuber I watch sometimes keeps misusing the phrase "at length". Like "At length we find the end of dungeon loot chest."
I want to punch him in the mouth so much.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Also saying "they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps" should justify removing the speakers tongue with garden shears.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

super sweet best pal posted:

Who says bae anymore?

pieces of poo poo

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Worse comes to worse.

And one girl I know uses "seen" instead of "saw". "I seen it at the store yesterday."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lotta cacs itt

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jay_Zombie posted:

When people omit "to be" from a sentence.
Like "The dog needs let outside", or "The car needs washed".

I've noticed it seems to be mostly people from Pennsylvania that I notice this with, so maybe it's a dialect thing.

It's a Midwest thing. I used to see it in emails at work all the time and thought it was just typos but then I met with some of the people in person at a team building thing and realized that's just how they talk. I'd say it's annoying but I'm originally from the part of Connecticut that touches both Rhode Island and Massachusetts, so I'm sure my accent is just as atrocious.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nessa posted:

Worse comes to worse.

And one girl I know uses "seen" instead of "saw". "I seen it at the store yesterday."

I dated a girl who did this. That should have been my first clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"License and registration, please"

• Locked thread