Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Oh well, the CIA decided to go with islamists so here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
lol the UK is going to try to go the export route with a devalued currency when people don't realize they're going to be paid at best minimum wage with a currency that's worth less

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Any day now, op. Stay by your phone.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
thank God this thread is back

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Magius1337est posted:

and Europe is no longer a super power or relevant at all? The UK thought it would be a good idea to break off eve though the only reason their economy exists is so English speaking countries can do business with Europe and the EU is going to fall to infighting. Hope you like recession on top of inflation.

Europe: The super power that is unable to keep one of its provinces from declining to third world lviing standards, unable to secure its borders. unable to provide adequate response to a hostile country with 1/4 the population and 1/10th the GDP.
But they sure made sure we can't buy vacuum cleaners anymore and netflix needs to show more European crap.

Britain made the right choice. They might not make it on their own either, but Europe is doomed.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
any europe-goons wanna marry me for a green card?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

NihilismNow posted:

Europe: The super power that is unable to keep one of its provinces from declining to third world lviing standards, unable to secure its borders. unable to provide adequate response to a hostile country with 1/4 the population and 1/10th the GDP.
But they sure made sure we can't buy vacuum cleaners anymore and netflix needs to show more European crap.

Britain made the right choice. They might not make it on their own either, but Europe is doomed.
I like the ability to buy poo poo from the rest of Europe without hassle and if I had a business I'd probably really like the ability to sell poo poo without hassle. I also like being able to study and work in the rest of Europe.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Elukka posted:

I like the ability to buy poo poo from the rest of Europe without hassle and if I had a business I'd probably really like the ability to sell poo poo without hassle. I also like being able to study and work in the rest of Europe.

In America, when our states try to secede, we gently caress them up with cannons and burn all their poo poo to the ground until they don't wanna leave anymore.

I'd say give it a try, but uh....

Heh.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Elukka posted:

I can buy poo poo without hassle from China, last i checked they weren't in the EU yet. And a lot of Chinese people seem to study here. You don't need the EU for that.
You only need the EU to outlaw things you need, like vacuum cleaners and light bulbs and properly prepared fries.

Magius1337est posted:

any europe-goons wanna marry me for a green card?

Only if we can live in Omaha Nebraska or Phoenix Arizona in a suburban house.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

NihilismNow posted:

I can buy poo poo without hassle from China, last i checked they weren't in the EU yet. And a lot of Chinese people seem to study here. You don't need the EU for that.
You only need the EU to outlaw things you need, like vacuum cleaners and light bulbs and properly prepared fries.

Imagine trying to ship something through a bunch of different countries and going through customs every time.

Level 31 Dipshit
Jan 14, 2010
I voted out just to wipe the self-righteous smarmy poo poo-eating grins off those millennials faces. The endless laughter at the tidal wave of salty tears has been more than worth the economic problems.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Magius1337est posted:

lol the UK is going to try to go the export route with a devalued currency when people don't realize they're going to be paid at best minimum wage with a currency that's worth less
We dont actually make anything except with bits that pass in with no tarrifs/regulations through trade deals the EU has so yeah we will be either working in coffee shops or bankers. Personally I aim to gently caress off to Holland asap, they speak English, have a decent software industry, and there is the legal hookers and ganja so its a win all round really.

e: I stole this link from the UK d&d thread if you fancy a long read on why this is going to be a loving nightmare. https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n18/swati-dhingra/how-not-to-do-trade-deals

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 26, 2017

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Level 31 Dipshit posted:

I voted out just to wipe the self-righteous smarmy poo poo-eating grins off those millennials faces. The endless laughter at the tidal wave of salty tears has been more than worth the economic problems.

you have a good username for this post

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Seaside Loafer posted:

We dont actually make anything except with bits that pass in with no tarrifs/regulations through trade deals the EU has so yeah we will be either working in coffee shops or bankers.

You make great shoes. Please send all your Crockett & Jones, Loakes and Edward Green. Also send Gin. And maybe some Cheddar. Scotch for as long as Scotland remains in the UK

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

NihilismNow posted:

You make great shoes. Please send all your Crockett & Jones, Loakes and Edward Green. Also send Gin. And maybe some Cheddar. Scotch for as long as Scotland remains in the UK

that reminds me, what's going to happen to all their intellectual property?

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

NihilismNow posted:

Yeah man just lol if you're a superpower and people within your borders have third world living standards

Also Brexit is astonishing it's like suez crisis 2.0 but entirely self inflicted

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
as an American, I don't really care

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

e: I stole this link from the UK d&d thread if you fancy a long read on why this is going to be a loving nightmare. https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n18/swati-dhingra/how-not-to-do-trade-deals
that didnt really explain anything because i didnt understand any of it. thanks for trying

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, what are the UK's major exports? I'm too lazy to look it up. Won't they be subject to more tariffs now on whatever those are? I don't know poo poo about economics.

I just never find myself thinking "I could really go for a British XYZ." Scotch sure. But that there has to be something else to sustain them. Right?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, what are the UK's major exports?
youtube video game reviews

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Racism,

and bald racists

and tax evasion

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Mr.Tophat posted:

This. Although they won't become US states.

The EU will not topple. Great Britain is no more, and is simply Britain. The United Kingdom will soon divide and simply become the Kingdom of England, starting with Scotland leaving. Scotland wants to stay part of the EU, and England will be in no position to argue that unity is strength after this jingoistically motivated suicide.

"You want to do your own thing and become independent England? Well, so do we."
"But but but we're in this together Scotland!"
"gently caress OFF"

The Queen is funded by tax payers.

I wish people would understand Great Britain, Britain and British are geographical constructs.

Great Britain is the largest island in the British Isles.

The British Isles consist of England, Wales, Scotland, all of Ireland and the thousands of tiny islands surrounding Great Britain.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, fine. I took the 10 seconds to look it up.

quote:

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in UK global shipments during 2016. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from United Kingdom.

1. Machinery including computers: US$60.3 billion (14.7% of total exports)
2. Vehicles : $51.7 billion (12.6%)
3. Pharmaceuticals: $32.6 billion (8%)
4. Gems, precious metals: $27.5 billion (6.7%)
5. Electrical machinery, equipment: $27.1 billion (6.6%)
6. Mineral fuels including oil: $26.2 billion (6.4%)
7. Aircraft, spacecraft: $20.7 billion (5.1%)
8. Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $17.2 billion (4.2%)
9. Plastics, plastic articles: $11.2 billion (2.7%)
10. Organic chemicals: $10.8 billion (2.6%)

Vehicles were the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 80.8% for the 7-year period starting in 2009.

In second place for improving export sales was the aerospace category which gained 72.7% led by significant international sales for airplanes and turbojets.

UK exported gems and precious metals posted the third-fastest gain in value up 64.4% thanks to booming gold and platinum shipments.

Mineral fuels including oil led the decliners down by -34.5%.

Ok let's see here. Machinery. Ok I don't know anything about that. Vehicles? I thought they had pretty lovely cars. Jaguar, Mini... what else? Aircraft... I haven't heard of any home grown companies there but cool. Oil, uh oh.

Mineral fuels including oil led the decliners down by -34.5%.
Yikes.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

General China posted:

I wish people would understand Great Britain, Britain and British are geographical constructs.

The British Isles consist of England, Wales, Scotland, all of Ireland and the thousands of tiny islands surrounding Great Britain.

Our children will learn this along with other extinct societies like easter island and atlantis (totes was real okay)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

You forgot the United Kingdom. :colbert:

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

You forgot the United Kingdom. :colbert:

The United Kingdom is a political nationalistic construct. Great Britain is a place.

Great Britain will always exist.

The UK may not.

How simple do I have to make it? How stupid are you people?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

The United Kingdom is a political nationalistic construct. Great Britain is a place.

Great Britain will always exist.

The UK may not.

How simple do I have to make it? How stupid are you people?

Jesus christ chill the gently caress out. UK is another word that is used. A lot. That's why I mentioned it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

i call em the British Isles

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Jesus christ chill the gently caress out. UK is another word that is used. A lot. That's why I mentioned it.

I'm chilled. Just gets annoying when people get confused with what Britain and British mean.

It has nothing to do with nations. Just geography.

The people living in Ireland are the worse offenders in the world for this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well you can sleep well knowing that that most Americans probably can't identify all of our own states so if they can't identify yours just accept that Americans are really dumb and maybe give them some slack.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Well you can sleep well knowing that that most Americans probably can't identify all of our own states so if they can't identify yours just accept that Americans are really dumb and maybe give them some slack.

Do you think Mexicans are American?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I thought they had pretty lovely cars. Jaguar, Mini

minis blow but jags are cool. my inlaws have an older model XJL and its like sitting in a ye olde smoking room but on wheels, all leather and mahogony. Gets like 10 to the gallon and handles like a boat, great in a straight line though.

After britain gets dumped out of europe I look forward to driving it up and down the northbound M1 Fury Road to the next gastown where it gets stripped for parts

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

the UK will never leave because money is more important than democracy. The EU will never become a superpower because the USA has troops stationed in their countries lol. sorry merkel but after ruining western civilization for the 5th time we're not letting you guys have any power anymore.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General China posted:

Do you think Mexicans are American?

If they are Mexican Americans then yes. :confused:

Are you saying since they are in North America then they must be American? Because you know drat well that's not how things work here.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 27, 2017

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ok, fine. I took the 10 seconds to look it up.

Ok let's see here. Machinery. Ok I don't know anything about that. Vehicles? I thought they had pretty lovely cars. Jaguar, Mini... what else? Aircraft... I haven't heard of any home grown companies there but cool. Oil, uh oh.

Rolls-Royce is the second largest maker of jet-engines.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Rolls-Royce is the second largest maker of jet-engines.

Oooooo good point. They make good engines.

I heard that Jaguars are cool but in their older cars their electronics were poo poo. My friend's step-dad had a Jaguar that was pretty cool. Two V6 engines next to each other. No power anything. I think the radio and turn signals worked. He was the one who mentioned the electronics though. So I don't know if that used to be a thing.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

If they are Mexican Americans then yes. :confused:

Are you saying since they are in North America then they must be American? Because you know drat well that's not how things work here.

What about the Mexicans born in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming before the US invaded?

And the Mexicans born in those states afterwards?

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

cynic posted:

Counterpoint; I've lived in about 6 places in Scotland and I can safely say that Scotland is poo poo, full of lovely people, and everyone worthwhile eventually moves closer that cesspool of civilisation London, or abroad where the great golden globe in the sky isn't just a legend passed down between the generations.

I know a Scot. He's ok I guess.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

General China posted:

What about the Mexicans born in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming before the US invaded?

And the Mexicans born in those states afterwards?

Invaded? Do tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oh hey, Brexit. Forgot all about that after Trump. I don't know poo poo about it so all I've gathered is: A bunch of politicians wanted to leave the EU because they were felt like they were getting bullied and they would be better off alone, but breaking up was scary. So they used a bunch xenophobia and anit-migrant sentiment, put it to a vote, and won probably not even really expecting to. The whole country almost immediately regretted it. The politicians that created the mess got scared and tried to duck any responsibility after the fact. Families could potentially be broken up over this, it's terrible for the economy, and it will all probably snowball downhill. If this Nigel Farage guy is still alive when the real price of the break up becomes clear he might get dragged out into the street to be beheaded. The first of many beheadings. That's all I know about it.

• Locked thread