Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Volcott posted:

Judas was the most devoted apostle and that's why he was asked to take the fall and become humanity's most infamous betrayer. Someone had to do it or the whole "death and resurrection" thing wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

Ooh, I like that one. It makes Matthew 26:22 make a lot more sense. Why else would they all ask "Lord, is it I?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

What is the bible's stance on incest? Asking for a friend.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seems to be surprisingly ok with it as long as you keep it on the dl

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

vyst posted:

You have to get your dad drunk first.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

are you the only living humans on earth? do you at least think you are?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Limbo's closed, right? And people keep having abortions, correct? My god. Someone is collecting all the dead baby souls!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
gently caress and suck and let God finish on my chest

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

"Ammon," Wikipedia posted:

After the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the daughters of Lot had sexual relations with their father, resulting in Ammon and his half brother, Moab, being conceived and born. This narrative has traditionally been considered literal fact, but is now generally interpreted as recording a gross popular irony by which the Israelites expressed their loathing of the Moabites and Ammonites, although it is doubtful that the Israelites would have directed such irony to Lot himself. (emphasis added)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Either way, it's implicit in the story that Incest Is Bad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Limbo's closed, right? And people keep having abortions, correct? My god. Someone is collecting all the dead baby souls!

You don't get a soul until you take your first breath. Abortions are totally cool in the Bible, there's even a story about preparing a"bitter drink" to cause one.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Who What Now posted:

You don't get a soul until you take your first breath. Abortions are totally cool in the Bible, there's even a story about preparing a"bitter drink" to cause one.

It's debatable but I'm familiar with that whole passage. Let me correct my earlier statement: ever since Limbo closed its gates, someone has been ciphoning the souls of all the abandoned meth babies! For what evil purpose?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The Catholic Church says the Bible's genre is sacred story. It's neither fiction nor history. It's a myth that tells a deeper truth.

My favorite stories of the Bible are the Jesus stories and the Jonah story. Removing the need to validate their historicity, the first one is about a teacher's sacrifice and the second one is about trying to run away from hard truths.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
yahweh is a jealous demon who took control of our world to impose his will for his own aggrandizement. after witnessing what a poo poo job he did, in the new testament he sacrifices himself in a hopeless attempt to save the world he ruined.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's debatable but I'm familiar with that whole passage. Let me correct my earlier statement: ever since Limbo closed its gates, someone has been ciphoning the souls of all the abandoned meth babies! For what evil purpose?

If there's one thing that can't be debated, it's that the Bible loves killing babies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Caufman posted:

The Catholic Church says the Bible's genre is sacred story. It's neither fiction nor history. It's a myth that tells a deeper truth.
"Enough kids were calling us out on this crap over the centuries so gently caress it. It's true and not true. Either way you've got to obey us you little fuckers."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
in case anyone is interested the library of congress has a listing of some of jesus christ more contemporary works:
https://lccn.loc.gov/n82042325

quote:

LC control no. n 82042325
Descriptive conventions rda
Personal name heading Jesus Christ (Spirit)

Variant(s)
Ascended Master Jesus (Spirit)
Beloved Jesus (Spirit)
Beloved Master Jesus (Spirit)
Christ (Spirit)
Jesus, Ascended Master (Spirit)
Jesus, Master (Spirit)
Jesus, of the Bible and Master of the Celestial Heavens (Spirit)
Jesus (Spirit)
Master Jesus (Spirit)
Micah, the Angel of Unity (Spirit)
Sananda (Spirit)

Found in
His Talks with Christ and his teachers, c1981: t.p. (Christ)
His The twelve blessings, 1974?, c1958: t.p. (Master Jesus)
The Crystal stair, c1992: CIP t.p. (channeled by Sananda (Jesus))
"I am" the way, c1976: t.p. (Ascended Master Jesus; Micah, the Angel of Unity)
The "I am" discourses, c1999: CIP t.p. (... by Beloved Jesus through Lotus Ray King)
Old Testament subjects about Jeremiah, "the prophet", 1962: pref. (Jesus of the Bible and Master of the Celestial Heavens)

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
a series of divine emanations emerge out of the perfect substance which comprises true reality including a computerlike machine projecting our own conception of the universe that we refer to as "God", however this artifact or process is an imperfect representation of the absolute and is unable to adequately comprehend anything beyond itself. the program we reside in is simultaneously meant to contain this process as well as is the process itself, all conceivable reality expanding and contracting infinitely with the end purpose of replicating the first substance which once completed will merge with itself and destroy our world

Nathilus posted:

This one time god was like "kill ur son" to this dude.

And the dude was like, "gently caress! Well... You're the almighty so I'll do it but only cuz its you askin."

And god was all, "psyche! drat dood you were really gonna do it. Thats hosed up, lmao."

iirc after Abraham binds his son God ceases direct communication with him

Les Os fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 1, 2017

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

It was actually Shep that begat Malthazar.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Jesus was drunk most ofb he time and got the bronze age equivalent of the clap from Mary Magdeline

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Caufman posted:

My favorite stories of the Bible are the Jesus stories and the Jonah story. Removing the need to validate their historicity, the first one is about a teacher's sacrifice and the second one is about trying to run away from hard truths.
I dig the Jesus story taken 100% on its own merits, but the fact that it's become a cornerstone for multiple civilizations and abused in every shape and form has me really, really hating it. It's like if someone took the Spider-Man origin story and built the next 2000 years around it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

The Bible states that slave owners (CEOs and bosses) can beat their slaves (employees) so long as they don't die for a day or so. Which is more relevant by the day.

good message imho

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

I dig the Jesus story taken 100% on its own merits, but the fact that it's become a cornerstone for multiple civilizations and abused in every shape and form has me really, really hating it. It's like if someone took the Spider-Man origin story and built the next 2000 years around it.

you need to tell the stupid peasants something otherwise they will start making up their own poo poo. thats always trouble!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_Rebellion

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

John of Patmos was scared of the Roman Empire (and rightfully so) and Revelation was conceived during a P. cubensis experience, raving about demons and horseman and the whore of babylon while a bored scribe took dictation.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Ruth/David OTP

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you're really rich you can custom order a giant needle with the eye the size of a semi and then you can ride as many camels through it as you want. Hell, charge other shmucks to do it too!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you're really rich you can custom order a giant needle with the eye the size of a semi and then you can ride as many camels through it as you want. Hell, charge other shmucks to do it too!

its an analogy, so i think you only have to do it once then all rich people get into heaven forever

Caufman
May 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

You're not wrong. The stories might have stuck around because of cynicism, but it's up to the reader how the story will impact their life.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dangerous Minority posted:

God decided to gently caress with Job just because he was bored and thought it would be funny

This is the most important story in the Bible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

This is the most important story in the Bible.

this is the implicit message of christianity. God is an rear end in a top hat, and you should be happy he died on the cross

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Jephthah knew that his daughter would be the first one to come out and greet him. He knew.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

2 Kings 2:23-24 is real.

quote:

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two she-bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
That the holy spirit is the weirdo part of god's brain. The father is all about smiting and death, Jesus is about love, and then there's the guy whos in a Halloween ghost costume yelling about how we should throw frogs at them.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I like the theory that the story of Cain the farmer killing Abel the shepherd is an allegory for ancient agricultural tribes wiping out nomadic pastoral tribes.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Mine is that I was REALLY loving AWESOME as Caiaphas at Theatre 29's production of Jesus Christ Superstar in 2003, to the point where I'd meet random people around town for years afterwards and they'd tell me how bad I'd loving scared them.

Not much, but it's better than the Bible ever done me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

2 Kings 2:23-24 is real.

thats impressive, two Dire bears is Summon Natures Ally VII. this guy is at least 13th level with the LORD

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Ialdabaoth is a little bitch child of chaos with his Laws and poo poo

Sophia is the bringer of Gnosis and secretly influenced those desert savages to speak of her obliquely

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Bimmi posted:

Mine is that I was REALLY loving AWESOME as Caiaphas at Theatre 29's production of Jesus Christ Superstar in 2003, to the point where I'd meet random people around town for years afterwards and they'd tell me how bad I'd loving scared them.

Not much, but it's better than the Bible ever done me.

my evangelical cousins once roped me into going to see a jesus christ superstar production at the chintzy tourist town in lancaster amish country and at some point a weirdo old lady started holding her hands up to the stage like the power of christ hisself was emanating from this very off broadway shitshow production

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Percelus posted:

my evangelical cousins once roped me into going to see a jesus christ superstar production at the chintzy tourist town in lancaster amish country and at some point a weirdo old lady started holding her hands up to the stage like the power of christ hisself was emanating from this very off broadway shitshow production

Yeah, it has that effect. Dum, I know.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

like i could see having a religious moment from musical theatre if colm wilkinson and philip quast were performing les miserables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

but jesus christ superstar in pennslytucky? the worst part of born agains is their utter lack of taste in all things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

another example of how retarded evangelicals are when it comes to media consumption - kevin sorbo's 'let there be light'

• Locked thread