Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Man this decision is harder then I thought. Come on goons I need some real life changing advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

But it would drive away chuds from my personal life and I gotta say that’s worth it all on its own

It'd drive chuds away but it'd also attract Facebook progressives like moths to a porch light and the way Facebook progressives are that's almost as bad.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Change your full name to her name, then steal her identity.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

504 posted:

Unless your last name is "Schindler" and you happen to be Oscar Schindler (for example) your name is utterly and totally meaningless.

Every single person in the world could change their last name to some variety of hitlercuntfuck and in one generation no one would care.

Do it if it sounds better and for fucks sake drop the double barrel name, every one that hears it, and doesn't know you, is making assumptions about you because of it.

Omg there it is, the real advice

Thank you whoever you are, names really are meaningless and hyphenated ones are a pain in the rear end. I can’t wait until my signature no longer requires an entire line

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

EvilJoven posted:

It'd drive chuds away but it'd also attract Facebook progressives like moths to a porch light and the way Facebook progressives are that's almost as bad.

Idk I think seeing posts about how someone was misgendered is more tolerable then seeing posts from some chud saying we need to kill all Jews but maybe that’s just my opinion!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

everyone's last name is now Chud

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Egbert Souse posted:

Both of you change your last name to Shitlord

Quite the first response lol.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

504 posted:

Unless your last name is "Schindler" and you happen to be Oscar Schindler (for example) your name is utterly and totally meaningless.

Every single person in the world could change their last name to some variety of hitlercuntfuck and in one generation no one would care.

Do it if it sounds better and for fucks sake drop the double barrel name, every one that hears it, and doesn't know you, is making assumptions about you because of it.

So...names are utterly and totally meaningless but double barreled names cause people to make assumptions about you due to the nature of your name?

:thunk:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

So...names are utterly and totally meaningless but double barreled names cause people to make assumptions about you due to the nature of your name?

my name used to be buck doublebarrel until my mom made me change it back to my birth name, bonhomous fey :(

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Mr.Tophat posted:

See people have opinions and sometimes those opinions guide how they treat you and sometimes those people are policemen and when you say your last name they ask you why you smell like whiskey and haven’t washed in weeks and then you say cause you’ve had a lovely week but that doesn’t stop them from putting you in a drunk tank now does it?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
my last name is completely retarded and overly long and my wife still took it

do with that knowledge what you will

will jump on the hyphenated names are stupid as gently caress bandwagon, though. do anything to avoid that.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

That Goldstein fella seems like a real team player, real salt of the earth you know, just the kind of person we need. We should invite them to our neo-nazi rally next rally.

Wait what? He's a what? Mein Gott, how could I have known? I'll never be able show my hood in secret again!

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I would stick it to my parents and change my last name to hers. Get the last laugh! You also get feminism points and you know you owe us.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

See people have opinions and sometimes those opinions guide how they treat you and sometimes those people are policemen and when you say your last name they ask you why you smell like whiskey and haven’t washed in weeks and then you say cause you’ve had a lovely week but that doesn’t stop them from putting you in a drunk tank now does it?

I shall wait for the telephone call to arrive to confirm who I am, and then I shall tell the police officer that they call me MISTER Tibbs.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Legally change your name to her father's name but keep it a secret until the day of the wedding. No better way to show respect IMO.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Damo posted:

my last name is completely retarded and overly long and my wife still took it

Nice humblebrag about your "last name"'

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when i move out of home in changing my name to pontifex dawkins

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

names really are meaningless

On the contrary, names have powerful subconscious effects. It has been found that hearing or seeing your own name produces positive feedback, to such a degree that you are statistically more likely to like people, places and things sharing a first letter with your name. Also, your own name activates neural areas distinct from other's names. Consequently, having a shared family name rather than separate ones will likely change the way you perceive your partner or children on a subconscious level, either grouping them into your own self-regard and self-serving bias or considering them as an other.

As to hyphenated names, people respond more positively to easy to pronounce names. As such, they will probably judge a hyphenated name less positively even if they are progressive minded folk.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Dropping last names entirely is a sure way of saving time at work

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

On the contrary, names have powerful subconscious effects. It has been found that hearing or seeing your own name produces positive feedback, to such a degree that you are statistically more likely to like people, places and things sharing a first letter with your name. Also, your own name activates neural areas distinct from other's names. Consequently, having a shared family name rather than separate ones will likely change the way you perceive your partner or children on a subconscious level, either grouping them into your own self-regard and self-serving bias or considering them as an other.

As to hyphenated names, people respond more positively to easy to pronounce names. As such, they will probably judge a hyphenated name less positively even if they are progressive minded folk.
put a sock in it moon atari

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

While I might not be able to tell much about you from your name, I can certainly tell you a lot about your parents. So with this in mind, I'm here to tell you that Jon Snow is the rightful heir, no, you cannot see my manager, and no, we don't have your loving dragons.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
When I'm overly happy, which it seems like you are now, I tend to be an rear end in a top hat. But I don't care cause I'm happy. Anyway that's my advice for the naming dilemma.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

This is informative, but not an informed joke.

Rated 1/5

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Moon Atari posted:

Those are a bunch of bullshit initial studies and I’ll wait tell the studies that verify them tyvm

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sensual Simian posted:

Dropping last names entirely is a sure way of saving time at work

God drat the true geniuses of this forum are coming forward, I really should do a single name, it would make everything so simple!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

My Linux Rig posted:

Those are a bunch of bullshit initial studies and I’ll wait tell the studies that verify them tyvm

*double take*

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I do know that if you have a weird or hard to pronounce name you're more likely to have your resume tossed into the reject pile. Seen it happen. All these parents giving their kids stupid names are setting them up for failure.

Don't set yourself up for failure by deliberately making your name weird.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Change your second name to Mario and then have a son called Luigi and then

then make another thread and we'll let you know where to go from there

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

EvilJoven posted:

I do know that if you have a weird or hard to pronounce name you're more likely to have your resume tossed into the reject pile. Seen it happen. All these parents giving their kids stupid names are setting them up for failure.

Don’t worry, I’m already setting them up for failure with my terrible genes

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Also, seriously, don't get lazy or try and speedrun the whole raising a child thing, no-one wants to hire AAAAAAAAA

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

They have all been replicated and are highly cited, I just have a preference for primary sources. The first letter bias in particular is decades old and has been replicated numerous times, and has been propagated into general psych consensus to such a degree that it shows up in every intro textbook.

But my thread goal is to needlessly complicate your dilemma in order to cause you discomfort, so it is understandable you would want to dismiss it.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Don’t worry, I’m already setting them up for failure with my terrible genes

Call them Precrispr

It'll be funny in a few years, trust me

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Moon Atari posted:

They have all been replicated and are highly cited, I just have a preference for primary sources. The first letter bias in particular is decades old and has been replicated numerous times, and has been propagated into general psych consensus to such a degree that it shows up in every intro textbook.

But my thread goal is to needlessly complicate your dilemma in order to cause you discomfort, so it is understandable you would want to dismiss it.

Well congrats I dismissed your post so hard that I literally only read the first and last sentence and still think I’m right

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I really don't know what to tell you about your current situation but I DO know that Bush did 9/11 and that the aftermath is still felt today, both in America and abroad, OP

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Tom Gorman posted:

I really don't know what to tell you about your current situation but I DO know that Bush did 9/11 and that the aftermath is still felt today, both in America and abroad, OP

That is a very true and insightful post, thank you Tom

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

9/11 wouldn't have started a war if it had happened on 1/1 or 6/9. People would be like, do you remember 6/9 and patriots would be like, "hell yeah brother, nice"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Mr.Tophat posted:

9/11 wouldn't have started a war if it had happened on 1/1 or 6/9. People would be like, do you remember 6/9 and patriots would be like, "hell yeah brother, nice"

I take my previous post back, this is the true insightful post, thank YOU mr tophat

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

I take my previous post back, this is the true insightful post, thank YOU mr tophat

A second compliment has hit the ego

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Moon Atari posted:

Names are important. That's why you usually have two. A birth one, and then once you are inducted or whatever you get your second one. Usually the birth name is called a 'Christian' name, but I'm old-fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

each keep your own name. no one cares and changing your name is a pain in the rear end

• Locked thread