Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
So I’m going to marry my wonderful fiancé this year cause she’s the one that is cool and not incredibly loving crazy like all the other girls in Idaho so the question is what do I do with the last name??

Since I’m an male American and thus the worst kind of idiot, I want to stick with my name cause of male pride. I won’t tell you what it is cause I’m neurotic and paranoid but it’s a combination of my parents last name so it’s hyphenated. Despite being terrible parents, they’re still together so it’s not cause of a divorce.

Then there’s my fiancé and she wants to keep her name cause her family is cool but they’ve only had daughters so if they were to go by caveman rules, then they’re name would be gone after one generation.

But here’s my genius plan, I’m gonna take parts of them and combine them in a way that makes sense!

Anyway, the true point of this thread was to waste your time, so if you read this, then I accomplished my task. Take that, you shitlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Both of you change your last name to Shitlord

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Name yourselves after your favorite Linux distro (which should be Arch).

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

this thread is useless without the actual names

like if you're ramsbottom-heaphy and she's buttman and you're combining to make ramsbutt-heaphy then just pick a new one for all of you.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Also I’m drinking Elysian spacedust tonight, which is the best beer. Why am I telling you this? Cause I can, eat it you fucks.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I'm King Solomon and your last name will be Nobody

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

change your name to worthless dumbshit

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

just do it you gently caress

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Egbert Souse posted:

Both of you change your last name to Shitlord

Tempting but I’ll leave that name to the true shitlord which is you

Pawn 17 posted:

Name yourselves after your favorite Linux distro (which should be Arch).

But I hate Linux despite my name you see it’s ironic in more ways then one

I’ll leave that to you to figure out

Shithouse Dave posted:

this thread is useless without the actual names

Too bad use your imagination you millennial gently caress

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
theyre both last names passed down through the male line so instead of mashing them unpronounceably together just cancel your engagement

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

make a new name

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

My Linux Rig posted:

But I hate Linux despite my name you see it’s ironic in more ways then one

Why don't you like Linux? I think we need to table this last name discussion and get you educated on the benefits of running Linux.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

go to the nearest landfill and eat all the garbage

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

change your name to worthless dumbshit

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

just do it you gently caress

Tempting cause that name would match reality but no cause let’s be honest who would hire someone called dumbshit if they’re a professional

Maybe if they were a truck driver cause who needs a smart person behind the wheel apparently not the entirety of the American economy based on how many wrecks i see on snowy passes

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
godDAMn this guy is spitting some fire tonight!! Trolls beware@!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

go to the nearest landfill and eat all the garbage

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ive also reported u for the phrases 'wonderful fiance' and 'shes the one that is cool...not like the other girls' on tbe grounds of a suspected hostage situation

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Lol he thinks he found the non-crazy one guys

First engaged dude to ever think so

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pawn 17 posted:

Why don't you like Linux? I think we need to table this last name discussion and get you educated on the benefits of running Linux.

Look Linux works great on servers but as soon as they try to branch out to people who don’t have a working knowledge on cs, it gets terrible.

Orkin Mang posted:

ive also reported u for the phrases 'wonderful fiance' and 'shes the one that is cool...not like the other girls' on tbe grounds of a suspected hostage situation

What are you doing on this forum, you’re way too insightful to be a goon

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

Lol he thinks he found the non-crazy one guys

First engaged dude to ever think so

I know right???

I’m also the first one to discover how to masturbate, see you just need to wiggle it around a lot and then things happen

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=astDnnm2gKQ

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hyphenate, pick a new name or just not change your names.

Bing bong simple.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

If you are so concerned with stuff like this, you should know she is your fiancee...you are her fiance. These are French words, and, no, I don't know how to type the accent, but I'm not the one who's engaged.

E: Oh, I took it, all right.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Thus goes the curse I cast upon you:
In creating a new surname or hyphenated surname your fiance is going to insist on keeping the entirety of her/her father's surname, while yours will need to be compromised and truncated since it is already hyphenated and having a three surname hyphenation is a little much. You will feel slightly awkward about your surname being the one sacrificed, but will try to suppress that feeling as you consider it a shameful form of masculine pride. Your spouse has the exact same desire to preserve her own surname, but it is okay because she is a woman, making an insistance on her own identity at the expense of the combined married identity woke rather than regressive.

You will never be able to fully come to terms with your mixed feelings about this, meaning that your new surname will forever be a source of slight discomfort rather than the pride and happiness it should bring.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
You can name your kids what you want. Her changing her name or vice-versa doesn't matter.

To retain the line, tell the stories. As long as you tell the stories, the line continues and the blood is there. I'm still a Seward even though my lineage switched with my Great-Grandmother. I'm still a Sherer, even though the line switched with my other Great-Grandmother. I'm still a Swayze (Sweezey) even though that shift happened in the 1700's when a Swayze married a Seward. I know these things because the stories are passed down.

Just tell the stories and the line remains intact.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Flip a coin and whoever loses takes the new last name

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mostlygray posted:

You can name your kids what you want. Her changing her name or vice-versa doesn't matter.

To retain the line, tell the stories. As long as you tell the stories, the line continues and the blood is there. I'm still a Seward even though my lineage switched with my Great-Grandmother. I'm still a Sherer, even though the line switched with my other Great-Grandmother. I'm still a Swayze (Sweezey) even though that shift happened in the 1700's when a Swayze married a Seward. I know these things because the stories are passed down.

Just tell the stories and the line remains intact.

You’re right! I just need to lie to my kids, why have I never thought of this?

I’ll just combine them in a cool way and tell my kids that the name came from my grandfather who died fist fighting hitler himself

But hitler lost so badly that he ate a cyanide pill and died in a lonely bunker

That’s how good his hand to hand skills were, he made the embodiment of nationalism kill himself out of pure humiliation

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
If this is an honest red-blooded God-fearing union of man and woman then she should have no qualms whatsoever with taking the man’s name, as taking hers would make you sound/look like a weakling in the workplace and the patriarchy is under attack right now so us bros have to stick together.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Flip a coin and whoever loses takes the new last name

Leave it to fate? Now that’s a pretty cool way to do it

Why decide for myself what it will be? I’ll leave it to the universe to decide what it’ll be cause god know I’m the product of its decision to smash stars together

Or something like that, anyway flipping a coin sounds easy I just need a coin

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Change name to Dickfuck McGooch

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My Linux Rig posted:

I know right???

I’m also the first one to discover how to masturbate, see you just need to wiggle it around a lot and then things happen

Uh i don't think you've discovered how to masturbate

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There's so much red tape in a man changing his last name it'll drive you insane while trying to do it.

It'll also make you sound kinda like a bitchmade beta.

But it'll get you tons of likes on progressive Facebook groups!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sensual Simian posted:

If this is an honest red-blooded God-fearing union of man and woman then she should have no qualms whatsoever with taking the man’s name, as taking hers would make you sound/look like a weakling in the workplace and the patriarchy is under attack right now so us bros have to stick together.

That would work but unfortunately western civilization has introduced the idea that women have free will so going this direction would garner disdain from my peers for being a ignoramus

Unfortunately forcing my way through this won’t work but thanks for the advice

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cut to the chase and name yourself Milquetoast-Beta, OP.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

EvilJoven posted:

There's so much red tape in a man changing his last name it'll drive you insane while trying to do it.

It'll also make you sound kinda like a bitchmade beta.

But it'll get you tons of likes on progressive Facebook groups!

But it would drive away chuds from my personal life and I gotta say that’s worth it all on its own

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just tell her to keep her maiden name because then nobody will have to spend loving ages updating all their online account information.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Flip a coin since you're marrying a man since fiancé is literally a man and you're marrying one.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Cut to the chase and name yourself Milquetoast-Beta, OP.

Don’t dox me please

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

EvilJoven posted:

Just tell her to keep her maiden name because then nobody will have to spend loving ages updating all their online account information.

But it’s all automated these days, in reality, I’m nothing more than a guid to all of these systems so what does it matter??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Unless your last name is "Schindler" and you happen to be Oscar Schindler (for example) your name is utterly and totally meaningless.

Every single person in the world could change their last name to some variety of hitlercuntfuck and in one generation no one would care.

Do it if it sounds better and for fucks sake drop the double barrel name, every one that hears it, and doesn't know you, is making assumptions about you because of it.

• Locked thread