Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Solutions?
Hit the computer with a hammer
Install Ubuntu GNU/Linux the free operating system from norway
Waluigi
Get out and look at titties op
View Results

• Locked thread
Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

works better if you do it real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You can't. I tried everything, special utilities, I changed the settings, I even went into he registry and event manager and disabled everything. nothing works, Microsoft just keeps turning it on remotely.

my next step is to install a pirated version o Windows enterprise edition. apparently Microsoft doesn't gently caress with corporate customers nearly as much?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
slowed down by spectre, killed by skeleton

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
actually hellyeah I can't do that, it's not in your domain because it's not a barebones system :ok:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

You can't. I tried everything, special utilities, I changed the settings, I even went into he registry and event manager and disabled everything. nothing works, Microsoft just keeps turning it on remotely.

my next step is to install a pirated version o Windows enterprise edition. apparently Microsoft doesn't gently caress with corporate customers nearly as much?

You should just get a mac, idiot

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

You should just get a mac, idiot

Pressing the enter key on a file in OSX renames the file instead of opening it :lol:

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

I can't decide whether you or Uncle at Nintendo is better at being the Dipshit With Computers gimmick.

If you don't like how Windows works to the point of considering using some hacked, pirated Enterprise iso why don't you just...not use Windows? MacOS or Linux are perfectly fine options that allow you to janitor your OS to your hearts content.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yes not wanting my MAME cabinet to shut down and reboot while me and 3 friends are about to beat Shredder is definitely a gimmick

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

crabcakes dogg posted:

I can't decide whether you or Uncle at Nintendo is better at being the Dipshit With Computers gimmick.

If you don't like how Windows works to the point of considering using some hacked, pirated Enterprise iso why don't you just...not use Windows? MacOS or Linux are perfectly fine options that allow you to janitor your OS to your hearts content.

I can't play PC games on Linux, jeez are you dumb or something. What would even be he point of my PC, I can browse the internet on my phone

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yes not wanting my MAME cabinet to shut down and reboot while me and 3 friends are about to beat Shredder is definitely a gimmick

What makes you think this is normal behavior that you can't configure

Oh right, you're retarded

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what to tell you. My machine updates while I'm asleep so I never notice it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
mine updates while i'm asleep and i do notice it, because it closes all my programs and restarts

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

lol yeah, full screen pop-ups that minimize MAME are just fine

or I can just turn off all this stupid poo poo that microsoft was successfully sued for

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

or I can just turn off all this stupid poo poo that microsoft was successfully sued for

poverty goat posted:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's like disabling your car's check engine light because you can't be bothered to service it and you don't want it shaming you when you're late for work

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Why are you using Win10 for a MAME cabinet rather than 7? And by "7" of course I mean MacOS.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Go to your Windows system32 folder and delete everything with an extension ".exe" and ".dll".

Be sure to empty your recycle bin to confirm the deletion took place, restart your computer , voila Windows update gone.

If this fails call the number on the back of your computer and ask for Dr. Watson.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Just buy the actual boards and use a cab that allows for quick and easy service for swapping them out like those astro city candy cabs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Na'at posted:

Why are you using Win10 for a MAME cabinet rather than 7? And by "7" of course I mean MacOS.

It boots in less than 15 seconds on windows 10 which is important for a mame cabinet. Windows 7 was like a good minute and a half

Also none of the propriety hardware I had to buy works on osx

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeXReX posted:

Just buy the actual boards and use a cab that allows for quick and easy service for swapping them out like those astro city candy cabs

No way, I'd go broke. I am using a genuine arcade crt that I managed to find brand new. I am also using a specific video card and software so that windows will run in 320x240 and the image quality is completely indistinguishable from the real arcade board. It's insane

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
Press alt+f4

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Alpha Mayo posted:

That's what you get for "upgrading" to windows 10. I'm still on Windows 98SE, the only decent OS Microsoft has ever made.

look at this absolute loser who never used windows 2000

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
press f69

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
go into the task manager, select systemupdate.exe and click on 'end process'

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lmao this guy spent thousands of dollars building an arcade cabinet to play emulated nintendo games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bradzilla posted:

lmao this guy spent thousands of dollars building an arcade cabinet to play emulated nintendo games

And he can't figure out how to use Windows update. Lol

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Just pirate Windows 7 and you're good for the next few decades or so

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I love the updates as a required service model

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

No way, I'd go broke. I am using a genuine arcade crt that I managed to find brand new. I am also using a specific video card and software so that windows will run in 320x240 and the image quality is completely indistinguishable from the real arcade board. It's insane

Lmao you spent all that money on it looking like poo poo because you're willing to compromise to save money when you could have just used retropi like any other sane person

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

SeXReX posted:

Lmao you spent all that money on it looking like poo poo because you're willing to compromise to save money when you could have just used retropi like any other sane person

why bother doing anything am I right lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poverty goat posted:

If you have to ask, it's for everyone's benefit to force updates upon you, for herd immunity

Retards who disable updates are the anti-vaxxers of the world wide web

This is not correct. Anti-vaxxers don't want anyone to get vaccinations and their solution would affect everybody around them. People who don't update their computers are only doing it to themselves and it only affects their own PC.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

I spent $300 on it champ

Before

During

After

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CJacobs posted:

This is not correct. Anti-vaxxers don't want anyone to get vaccinations and their solution would affect everybody around them. People who don't update their computers are only doing it to themselves and it only affects their own PC.

no, because you end up in a botnet DDoSing critical internet infrastructure and enabling further propagation, including to all your gmail/facebook contacts and other machines on your network

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 14, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeXReX posted:

Other than the fact that retro pie can't connect to an arcade monitor and can't run 320x240 and can't emulate any arcade games made after 1993 you're 100% right

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I spent $300 on it champ

Before

During

After

Other than the fact that retro pie can't connect to an arcade monitor and can't run 320x240 and can't emulate any arcade games made after 1993 you're 100% right

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

He is not wrong on the arcade monitor thing.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have to boot Windows 7 with driver signature enforcement off for reasons I am slowly forgetting about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poverty goat posted:

no, because you end up in a botnet DDoSing critical internet infrastructure and enabling further propagation, including to all your gmail/facebook contacts and other machines on your network

How often do you think that actually happens to people with the technical know-how who disable the mandatory update service stuff for so long that they become vulnerable to those exploits? I would be willing to say "Not Often" because of how fringe of a case that is.

edit: Or at least, not often enough for someone other than a pedant to actually care, anyway.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cant u like get malware from just like a normal website now? u dont even have to like open a virus-laden .doc attachment anymore. thats crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

cant u like get malware from just like a normal website now? u dont even have to like open a virus-laden .doc attachment anymore. thats crazy

Fake news! It is a hoax.

• Locked thread