Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Solutions?
Hit the computer with a hammer
Install Ubuntu GNU/Linux the free operating system from norway
Waluigi
Get out and look at titties op
View Results

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Hey GBS what should I do to permanently disable Microsoft Windows Update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Disable all networking

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
get rid of Windows and use linux

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

uninstall and use WebTV instead

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
No Goku, voted 1

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

On windows 10 you can either use a wireless connection and set it as a metered connection or you can format the disk and install windows 7

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Over There posted:

No Goku, voted 1

Waluigi once had a fusion with Goku, as depicted in the Dragonball vs Smash Bros crossover comic that debuted at comiket09

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure mate, sorry :)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hitchensgoespop posted:

I'm not sure mate, sorry :)

No problem, man.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I would recommend Windows For Workgroups 3.11, op

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I use doors

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
You shouldn't, OP. Updates are good.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

limaCAT posted:

Hey GBS what should I do to permanently disable Microsoft Windows Update?

I posted this in the MAME cabinet thread I made because gently caress that intrusive piece of poo poo from interrupting Marble Madness

do the group policy method, but after that you also have to do this (and it's not well documented)

open a command prompt and type this:

code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
rem
If you don't every couple of days you will get a pop-up like this that takes up your entire screen:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

The last windows update to patch the Spectre exploit broke some business critical software so the official company policy is to apply a patch rolling back the update :lol:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
update yuor computor otharwise u will have HaX0rS like jeffk rooting yuor computar systems!!!!!!!!!!!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Just never go online, then it can't update. This will also shield your un-security-patched system from exploits.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i chose not to install updates last night and put my computer to sleep, this morning it had restarted and my programs were all closed. thank you microsoft for making me feel secure in computing!

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

i chose not to install updates last night and put my computer to sleep, this morning it had restarted and my programs were all closed. thank you microsoft for making me feel secure in computing!

You can open Task Scheduler and Disable the Reboot task at \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator. You'll have to remember to reboot your machine manually though. Disabling updates is probably a bad idea and will more than likely leave you with a broken system eventually.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i appreciate the necessity for installing the occasional security update, i would just prefer that either it's not noticeable that it was installed (i.e. no restart needed), or that i approved it manually

thanks for the tip tho

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

do the titties thing OP.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Disconnect your computer from the internet and keep it in the NOC list room from "Mission Impossible".

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shove the computer up your rear end, op

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
You must first
Invent the Universe

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
That's what you get for "upgrading" to windows 10. I'm still on Windows 98SE, the only decent OS Microsoft has ever made.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Linux?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I can't get off unless Windows is updating in front of me.

The 1703 feature update for Win10 bugged out so that i had to the install the fucker three times. I almost died of wanking that day.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Enjoy your security holes op

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The last update killed my desktop in a way that seems irreversible. It freezes if I do anything more intensive than play a movie. Pausing the movie or fiddling with the settings is also too much for it to handle.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I have good faith that Waluigi can fix your computer

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Waluigi helps no man but Waluigi.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
update your loving computer OP

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Turn off your monitor that should help

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you have to ask, it's for everyone's benefit to force updates upon you, for herd immunity

Retards who disable updates are the anti-vaxxers of the world wide web

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Atari posted:

The last update killed my desktop in a way that seems irreversible. It freezes if I do anything more intensive than play a movie. Pausing the movie or fiddling with the settings is also too much for it to handle.

The last update literally forced processors to run slower

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nobody is actually experiencing a significant slowdown from this except for very specific database/compilation type workloads, and most people in those lines of work are smart enough to know that disabling updates is not an option

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Stay safe poverty goat.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Your computer is gonna be even slower once it catches some crap and starts mining stimpycoins in some botnet in the background

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Actually I would like for my work laptop (it's my own pc) to not update itself during lunchtime when I am away or not to update itself when it's resting in my knapsack at night (and I don't want to put and remove the battery either...).

A few months ago Windows Update at least did the courtesy to tell me "oh hey I have this important update that you can install today or in a few days". And I could decide to update it on saturdays at home when I can do some maintenance without Bill Brother watching me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Your computer is gonna be even slower once it catches some crap and starts mining stimpycoins in some botnet in the background

Good luck doing that on a MAME cabinet that barely connects to the internet once a month and is not even on for 23.5 hours a day :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gather your computer, monitor, and speakers in your arms and jump out a third story window with everything still plugged in.

• Locked thread