Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

why is the university CFO giving statements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Did Light Helmet ever return to the mic? I had to go back to doing work

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FogHelmut posted:

He lost 14m$?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

big nipples big life posted:

Did Light Helmet ever return to the mic? I had to go back to doing work

he's giving the spanish version atm

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
If you want to be reborn, first you must die OP

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SERPUS posted:

Many fatalities.

the guardian head line is several, CNN is at least one

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/15/us/miami-bridge-collapse/index.html

although it also says eight cars are trapped so 8+ seems probable

:(

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Maybe he's the one who was rejecting invoices from the materials testing company that kept telling them their concrete was poo poo

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

no support in the center just seems to be asking for it
I'm assuming there were steel beams running through it? Those should be plenty strong. It wasn't just reinforced concrete, right? Wtf.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm assuming there were steel beams running through it? Those should be plenty strong. It wasn't just reinforced concrete, right? Wtf.

Not for a box that is blue.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm no engineer so I'm sure it was designed that way but you got the median in the middle of the road so it seems like adding a support column there couldn't hurt.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm no engineer so I'm sure it was designed that way but you got the median in the middle of the road so it seems like adding a support column there couldn't hurt.

$$$

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
that man's helmet is a thing of beauty

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Leon Einstein posted:

Car fuel melts steel beamz

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bet he gives good helmet

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the deputy mayor has to be like 7'6" it's insane

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Jeff Goldblum said:

quote:

They spent so much time wondering if they could build a bridge like that, and never thought to question whether they should build a bridge like that.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

they could have just put that guys helmet under the middle.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

they could have just put that guys helmet under the middle.

he looks like a sports mascot of some kind

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This entire situation is screaming "structural engineer whose resume is a lifetime of academia"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Mr Met but it's a fire helmet instead of a baseball

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Whatever company built that bridge is going to go bust REALLY soon, unless they can wiggle out of it and blame it on a supplier/designer.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
This company is not so good at building bridges.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/761235/collapsed-miami-bridge-built-by-construction-firms-accused-safety-violations

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nerses IV posted:

This entire situation is screaming "structural engineer whose resume is a lifetime of academia"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM

Screaming Hand
Jul 30, 2004

Guy talking to the reporter says it was way more than 8 crushed cars and he took pictures / video.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

imagine I photoshopped rick moranis under that guy's helmet. I would do it but office closes in 2 min.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i was gonna laugh about lane kiffin but then i remembered he coaches at another word salad florida school

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

hemale in pain posted:

Instant bridge put up in one day! What could go wrong?

Was it a Dahir Insaat project?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
"The FIU project was touted as an "instant bridge," constructed using "accelerated bridge construction,"

Oh haha you misunderstood we construct bridges that accelerate. Haha sorry for the confusion. Did you see it was instant? Yeah no worries it happens, we

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Who was contracted to build the bridge

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

basic hitler posted:

Isaac Newton I think

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Provide a pic of this helmet. This is important.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

Barnhart Crane and Rigging

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Isaac Newton I think

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
First photo in this slideshow shows a front on view of the squished cars (no gore).

http://www.jems.com/articles/slideshow/2018/03/pedestrian-bridge-collapse-in-florida.html

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lolie posted:

(no gore)

Then what's the point?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

basic hitler posted:

Grover

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Burt Sexual posted:

Infrastructure week!

Lol

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I don't see how posting David Caruso refutes my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahns
Feb 15, 2008
My ass belongs to peo

VikingSkull posted:

it was an assault bridge

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a bridge, is a good guy with a bridge.

• Locked thread