Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
makes u think, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

he makes a good point op i mean you've never actually seen the earth from space, have you? it's just been government funded propaganda allegedly taking pictures of this so called round earth. checkmate sphereailures.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Fartbox posted:

Earth isn't even real

We're just part of an A.I simulation. Humanity went extinct hundreds of years ago and this A.I is simulating us as an experiment and/or entertainment

wake up sheep

Wait, do you mean we're easily led, or that we are actually lambs?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There is plenty of fun conspiracy theories relating to things like where the hell is Jimmy Hoffa or https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gareth_Williams or literally hundreds of corporate and government fuckups doing blatantly illegal poo poo over the years imo. But people who scratch their heads over whether the Moon is real or Hollow Earth or reptilians just baffle me, I can't help but assume that 99% are badly trolling and the rest are schizophrenic.

Edit: if you assume that at least some of these people are for real, then I really wouldn't want to even try to simulate their mentality. Absolute failure of education is pretty obvious but it's some kind of a weird epistemology problem at the core imo. I get questioning what the government tells you, but when you are dismissing pretty basic scientific knowledge that is corroborated by multiple people and factions through history, where do you stop?

Colonel Cancer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 20, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
baa baa flat sheep
have you any wool over your eyes?!?! you sheeple!!?!?!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Fartbox posted:

wake up sheep

surely you meant to say sheeple

suction
Jul 17, 2009
explain this lunar ellipse, round-earthers

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

i wonder what a venn diagram of flat earth conspiracy theorists, cryptocurrency 'enthusiasts' and people that think 'ephebophile' isn't the same as being a child sex predator look like

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

suction posted:

explain this lunar ellipse, round-earthers

Great A'tuin, praise be upon him/her.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

i wonder what a venn diagram of flat earth conspiracy theorists, cryptocurrency 'enthusiasts' and people that think 'ephebophile' isn't the same as being a child sex predator look like

its a circle (which they insist is fake)

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Murray Mantoinette posted:

No joke talking to people or asking them questions requires IRB approval. And not questions about their medical history or whatever but just, like, “does this sentence sound grammatical to you?” or whatever.

This is the case in a lot of places. Put in the application and get ethics clearance.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Disappointed this wasn't another mad Mike Hughes thread.

Unless... :tinfoil:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dead Beef posted:

if the earth isn't flat then why does it look flat?

Have you pointed out to him if we go by that shoe curvature than the earth would be the size of one of those oversized inflatable beachballs?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Stexils posted:

immediately start looking for a way to scam him out of all his money

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

What do they think happens when you fly around the world? Like, the plane just gets halfway there and then secretly changes direction to fly back? Are all airline pilots secretly in on the hoax? Like, I take off from California and fly east to London, then east again to Kuala Lumpur and then keep going east to land in California again. Like, how is this reconciled with a flat Earth?

It boggles the mind

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

The earth is a flat bitcoin.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
lol globe earth

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Earth is just material plane and airplanes remain stationary while trained wizards cast the teleport spell. Everything you see like flying up in the sky is an illusion spell.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SuperiorColliculus posted:

What do they think happens when you fly around the world? Like, the plane just gets halfway there and then secretly changes direction to fly back? Are all airline pilots secretly in on the hoax? Like, I take off from California and fly east to London, then east again to Kuala Lumpur and then keep going east to land in California again. Like, how is this reconciled with a flat Earth?

It boggles the mind

the plane flys in a circle obviously :rolleyes:

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Like 6 years ago I had a coworker who would claim that the Earth is flat. We also had quite a few coworkers from the other side of the planet. How embarrassing.

I got drunk with her at a bar one night and yelled at her about it. No regrets.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Have you pointed out to him if we go by that shoe curvature than the earth would be the size of one of those oversized inflatable beachballs?

they will say it’s a joke and shift goalposts to water curvature on oceans or lakes or w/e. it doesn’t matter though cause they don’t actually understand scale, or they wouldn’t forward these arguments. it makes sense that they are overwhelmingly religious, the sort of people who think the earth is the centre of the universe, only a couple thousand years old, with the sun a few thousand km away. they are unable to grasp the very large and old, the complexity of everything. Most subscribe to other conspiracy theories as well, not just flat earth

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Robokomodo posted:

What is people’s reasoning that the earth is flat, as in if it were, why would people in power need to hide it? Do they believe there is a mastermind behind it? I can’t imagine who would benefit from keeping it hidden. Shipping companies? Airlines? Who has to gain from a round earth as opposed to a flat earth?

the Jews, op

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Robokomodo posted:

Can you ask your co-worker what his justification for the secrecy is? Hollow-Earthers have something to do with Naziism, Moon Landing Hoaxers have something about military superiority, what the gently caress is it with Flat-earthers?

The flat-earther I know IRL believes that NASA and the government are agents of Satan, because the Bible describes the Earth as resting on pillars with a firmament or some such poo poo so that means it's flat. Basically it boils down to Satan is trying to convince the world that the Earth is actually round to disprove the Bible and make people lose faith in God

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Rutibex posted:

This makes the worst kind of sense.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Pitdragon posted:

The flat-earther I know IRL believes that NASA and the government are agents of Satan, because the Bible describes the Earth as resting on pillars with a firmament or some such poo poo so that means it's flat. Basically it boils down to Satan is trying to convince the world that the Earth is actually round to disprove the Bible and make people lose faith in God

Lol I don't think that's even a legit Christian belief.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
anything can be a legitimate Christian belief

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Tell them to come to northwest Ohio, where it’s so flat you can see the curvature of the earth from a second-story window.

The surrounding landscape, not the earth. (Regarding flatness)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lol I don't think that's even a legit Christian belief.

most flat earth people like to quote Matthew 4:8 to prove a flat earth:

The Bible posted:

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.

but i mean, it was the loving devil who showed him that. you think maybe the devil has the power to show illusions and stuff? i mean thats kind of his thing

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
when i read the bible, i read for literalism

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Mozi posted:

anything can be a legitimate Christian belief

I think the medieval clergy was 100% correct about not letting commoners read the Bible.

Closing all the mad houses was the wrong move, thanks Reagan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Dude is dumb as gently caress and it is your DUTY to take advantage of his ignorance and scam him for all he's worth.
:capitalism:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Sell him a magical shiny disk that keeps globalist gestapo away. Fill it with high-res goatman images.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Ha ha compare these Flat Earth meetup pictures to Goon Meet pictures, we're clearly the healthier community ha ha hee hee... drat.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Rutibex posted:

please interview him OP and get him to tell you if he believes it genuinely or is just trolling. i am doing an research project on flat earthers, but we are not allowed to talk to any of them or interview them because it would violate ethics :(

i figure they are mostly just trolls, but i can't find out just from their writings

If you're serious I'll ask this motherfucker even though I really have tried to avoid talking to him even before he was a potential flat earther.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
What is his opinion on "Mad" "Bad" "Sad" Mike Hughes and his "rocket"

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
You should buy a chemical sterilizer and slip it into his drink when he's not looking.

You'll have to do this multiple times over a period of weeks to make sure it takes.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Rutibex posted:

I’m the cartoon man hanging on to south america for dear life

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Fartbox posted:

Earth isn't even real

We're just part of an A.I simulation. Humanity went extinct hundreds of years ago and this A.I is simulating us as an experiment and/or entertainment

wake up sheep

Experitainment

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

whole lotta sphere cucks itt :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mozi posted:

e = mc2