Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
It was recommended to me to send this to him.

I never thought I'd meet one of these clowns yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

immediately start looking for a way to scam him out of all his money

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I need to get to the bottom of this.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
regression is the inevitable result of prosperity

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
if the earth isn't flat then why does it look flat?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
What is people’s reasoning that the earth is flat, as in if it were, why would people in power need to hide it? Do they believe there is a mastermind behind it? I can’t imagine who would benefit from keeping it hidden. Shipping companies? Airlines? Who has to gain from a round earth as opposed to a flat earth?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Robokomodo posted:

What is people’s reasoning that the earth is flat, as in if it were, why would people in power need to hide it? Do they believe there is a mastermind behind it? I can’t imagine who would benefit from keeping it hidden. Shipping companies? Airlines? Who has to gain from a round earth as opposed to a flat earth?

its shoe companies, did you not read the op?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Robokomodo posted:

there's probably cool poo poo on the other side that they don't want us to know about.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Does he walk into walls and poo poo himself during the course of a day too?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Robokomodo posted:

If the earth is really flat tho the flat earthers don't gotta look dumb.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Robokomodo posted:

What is people’s reasoning that the earth is flat...

They dumb.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Robokomodo posted:

I saw some guy on one of Joe Rogan's podcasts who was a flat earther. Rogan showed him a satellite picture of earth and the guy just kept saying how it's all CGI and it looks like poo poo.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I saw some guy on one of Joe Rogan's podcasts who was a flat earther. Rogan showed him a satellite picture of earth and the guy just kept saying how it's all CGI and it looks like poo poo.

Can you ask your co-worker what his justification for the secrecy is? Hollow-Earthers have something to do with Naziism, Moon Landing Hoaxers have something about military superiority, what the gently caress is it with Flat-earthers?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
boy are you gonna feel dumb when it's proven that the earth is a rectangular prism

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Robokomodo posted:

Can you ask your co-worker what his justification for the secrecy is? Hollow-Earthers have something to do with Naziism, Moon Landing Hoaxers have something about military superiority, what the gently caress is it with Flat-earthers?

"What makes you think that the earth is flat despite tons of evidence proving that it's round?"

"I'm really, really stupid."

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PureEvil6_13 posted:

It was recommended to me to send this to him.

I never thought I'd meet one of these clowns yet here we are.

Shoes/boots with heels are like that though

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

"I saw a video on YouTube and have no critical thinking skills"

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Hills and mountains don't exist. Don't believe the shoe companies lies.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ironically, the universe is probably a non-Euclidian sphere, too, so in a way he is correct

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"The modern world in all its complexity is too difficult for me to comprehend, so I will cling to the rejection of something inherent in accepting that there is more to reality than what I see 10 feet in front of my face."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Most people's daily lives aren't terribly affected by geography :shrug:

But there's definitely a failure in general education somewhere.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Most people's daily lives aren't terribly affected by geography :shrug:

That's why they can afford to deny it, even though accepting that the scientific process that makes their TV work is the same as that which says the Earth is round.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

If the Earth is round, how come I can go to the edge and throw a ball off the side and watch it fall into the void of space. Checkmate round-earthers. :smug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Let me use this example: Imagine four round earths on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the earth nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of earths and takes the place of the first earth. The formerly first earth becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

The flat earth works the same way.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Mozi posted:

That's why they can afford to deny it, even though accepting that the scientific process that makes their TV work is the same as that which says the Earth is round.

I don't think an average person cares enough or has a need to know how their TV works beyond plugging it in and flipping channels.

People are welcome to be ignorant about poo poo that doesn't affect their lives imo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It took my coworker 6 hours without netflix to turn into a flat earther by watching nothing but flat earth 'documentaries' on youtube.

At the end of that shift he thought I was a freemason illuminati (who for some reason was doing the same job as him)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
please interview him OP and get him to tell you if he believes it genuinely or is just trolling. i am doing an research project on flat earthers, but we are not allowed to talk to any of them or interview them because it would violate ethics :(

i figure they are mostly just trolls, but i can't find out just from their writings

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i know a flat earther irl and he refuses to talk to me about it because i have a bachelors of science and he's never taken a single semester of physics.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
i thought this garbage was just a meme, it is rather sad to hear that there are people who actually believe this. i'd bet some of them are cat owners too. they should know that if the earth was flat, cats would've pushed everything off by now

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

please interview him OP and get him to tell you if he believes it genuinely or is just trolling. i am doing an research project on flat earthers, but we are not allowed to talk to any of them or interview them because it would violate ethics :(

i figure they are mostly just trolls, but i can't find out just from their writings

gathering data from primary sources is considered unethical at your school?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the flat earth society has a collection of flat earth literature going back to the mid 19th century. it is quite a read! it kind of feels like you are reading a document written by the joker or some other kind of very distributed person. i particularly recommend "Is Newtonian Astronomy True? William Carpenter 1895/05/01":
https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/index.php/flat-earth-library/library-books

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 20, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Novo posted:

i should be more clear, it would require talking to an ethics board and doing a bunch of tedious extra work

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Earth isn't even real

We're just part of an A.I simulation. Humanity went extinct hundreds of years ago and this A.I is simulating us as an experiment and/or entertainment

wake up sheep

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Novo posted:

No joke talking to people or asking them questions requires IRB approval. And not questions about their medical history or whatever but just, like, “does this sentence sound grammatical to you?” or whatever.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Fartbox posted:

Earth isn't even real

We're just part of an A.I simulation. Humanity went extinct hundreds of years ago and this A.I is simulating us as an experiment and/or entertainment

wake up sheep

:yeah:

All of these flat earthers need to smarten up and pick up a cause that's not easily falsifiable with technology that's been available for 2000+ years.

I posit that everything we know and experience is just a daydream of an autistic manchild. When he wakes up, poof.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:rolleyes:
obviously all of existence is just the dream of an autistic supercomputer or something equally horrifying. we are not talking about that, we are talking about the parameters of the dream!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

a battle of great minds. and i've got a front row seat. what mysteries shall be explored next??

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Robokomodo posted:

I've seen people argue that it's all a grand conspiracy to get NASA funding. A sizable number of people think the moon landings were faked and a lot of people mistrust NASA. When they landed that Mars rover my FB feed had a number of people who were speculating that it was all fake because reasons. Like all conspiracy theories, it gives the people who believe in them a false sense of superiority because they are WOKE and INFORMED unlike those DUMB SHEEP.

Conspiracy theorists love smelling their own farts.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Ironically, the universe is probably a non-Euclidian sphere, too, so in a way he is correct

No the galaxy is a flattening circle, deriving energy from the compression of 3D spacetime into 2D. Dimensional compression is the energy that gives us the outward spiral, that force that redshifts spacetime into the future, and allows the galaxy to have any width at all. And the universe can be said to be a flat circle (not flattening, flat) with a single hydrogen atom in the middle oscillating one atom north or south of the empty universal plane. So historically when they say the world is flat they misinterpret “universe” for “world” because that is the only universe 15th century brains could comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
e = mc2

earth = mostly circular (2d)

• Locked thread