Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

The Grateful Dead? More like Grateful to BE Dead rather than listen to their terrible music!

God made a deal with Jerry Garcia that if he killed himself he could avoid the fiery pits and be reincarnated as an ice cream moms love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Payment Day posted:

There are a lot of people who love the improvisational live music of the grateful dead and most of them don't listen to jazz for some reason.

It's because by and large, jazz doesn't suck

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phish are worse

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

HungryMedusa posted:

When I get to hell, they'll be playing Darkstar over and over again. Or more likely Fire on the Mountain.

Then they will find out that does nothing to me compared to listening to Bob Dylan's basement tapes with The Band, and I will suffer for all eternity

Those are all really bad but "fire on the mountain" is one of the worst songs ever written

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

Phish are worse

Phish didn't create the audience for the greatful dead

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Phish are worse

Nah, no way. Never going to defend arguably the worst jam band but Phish are at least tolerable if you somehow stumble into a room where their "music" is being played.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Phish are worse

I’ve kind of enjoyed some of trey Anastasios solo stuff tbh

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
what music do you like OP

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Breakfast Feud posted:

Nah, no way. Never going to defend arguably the worst jam band but Phish are at least tolerable if you somehow stumble into a room where their "music" is being played.
Have you heard their Talking Heads covers? They loving suck

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

super macho dude posted:

Sorry op but Red Hot Chili Peppers is a worser band than some stupid hippy poo poo that no one cares about, for fucks sake the Chili Peps are still putting out terrible music.

Under the bridge is a good song, name a good song by the greatful dead

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you heard their Talking Heads covers? They loving suck

Why would they even do such a thing? Of course it's going to suck it wasn't particularly good to begin with

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
oh why not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOpJMQ3-VE

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

One time a high school friend found me 10 years later after I had moved across the country and he turned out to be filthy crunchy traveler hippy freeloader complete with dreadlocks and baggy patched up corduroy pants. He wanted to sleep on my couch for the night, I said sure, and proceeded to get black out drunk, find my roommate's Dead cd, and sat on his bed for 4 hours listening to it on repeat while extolling the virtues of what a masterpiece of was. He then threw up all over his bathroom and we kicked him out early in the morning.

Thanks for listening.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

Bad Titty Puker posted:

what music do you like OP

I don't consent to listen to anything except Mentors and GG Allin

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Payment Day posted:

Under the bridge is a good song, name a good song by the greatful dead

Friend Of The Devil is good.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Actually OP I think you will find that the Rogue Traders are the worst band in recorded history. Try to find anything of value in their songs, I challenge you.

https://youtu.be/SrlhLaNClgw

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Payment Day posted:

I don't consent to listen to anything except Mentors and GG Allin

you're missing out on the whole 'pigfucker' genre

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

super macho dude posted:

Friend Of The Devil is good.

That song could have been written by "microsoft songsmith"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Red Hot Chili Peppers have been doing this cool thing where they release the same album every few years for 25 years except recently they release double albums that are also the same album

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Payment Day posted:

Those are all really bad but "fire on the mountain" is one of the worst songs ever written

Marshall Tucker Band "Fire on the Mountain" > Grateful Dead "Fire on the Mountain"

Don't get me started on "Bad Blood".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think the actual worst band might be Blue October, but I don't think anyone else remembers them.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Payment Day posted:

That song could have been written by "microsoft songsmith"

Hell In A Bucket and Throwing Stones sound pretty good these days.

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Keep trying to find a worse band than the Greatful Dead, I'm reloading

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

Zeno-25 posted:

Hell In A Bucket and Throwing Stones sound pretty good these days.

I don't know those ones by name but I have probably heard them and they definitely suck

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

There are many worse bands than the Grateful Dead, that is a given. But what other bad music has so many albums, so many fans, so many cover bands and even documentaries about them? In this way the Dead win.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think the actual worst band might be Blue October, but I don't think anyone else remembers them.

When I was in rehab one of the counselors had an actually cool class every weekend where it was musicians and their substance abuse issues but one of the classes was Blue October because she was a hyper fangirl of them so there were like only 5 of us who showed up, 2 ended up leaving and the rest of us stayed out of politeness as she gushed about them for an hour and a half. It was not fun

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Payment Day posted:

Has anybody else here heard this band? I have some coworkers who are crazy about this band, they talk about them and play their music all the time and I can't wrap my head around it. It's like the music from the weather channel with some old guy with a weak voice singing nonsense over it.

Chelsea? Is that you?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh, also The Dead suck balls.

Not nice balls either. Sweaty dirty balls.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I was in rehab one of the counselors had an actually cool class every weekend where it was musicians and their substance abuse issues but one of the classes was Blue October because she was a hyper fangirl of them so there were like only 5 of us who showed up, 2 ended up leaving and the rest of us stayed out of politeness as she gushed about them for an hour and a half. It was not fun
Everything about this makes sense to me.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Payment Day posted:

Keep trying to find a worse band than the Greatful Dead, I'm reloading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR9d4ESlpHY

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRwfgov0ry4

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

HungryMedusa posted:

There are many worse bands than the Grateful Dead, that is a given. But what other bad music has so many albums, so many fans, so many cover bands and even documentaries about them? In this way the Dead win.

Any band can make bad music but there is only one with a cult of morons large enough to make waves in the drug market when one of their former members plays tamborene for ben folds or whatever

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
rip Dead

https://youtu.be/iNnlhaGmr30

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Payment Day posted:

Any band can make bad music but there is only one with a cult of morons large enough to make waves in the drug market when one of their former members plays tamborene for ben folds or whatever

I totally agree. This isn't a good thing. Is that Bob Weir behind me? I didn't even want drugs. They're everywhere! The Dead are everywhere

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What’s the worst live show anyone’s ever been to

Mine is probably a 2005 bob Dylan show in a baseball stadium where he never talked to or looked at the audience, sat sideways playing a piano and his songs all were unrecognizable and sounded exactly the same. He was halfway through Memphis blues before I heard a few lyrics mumbled that sounded similar. I also saw a middle aged woman pass what looked like a 5 year old a blunt

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mine is probably a 2005 bob Dylan show in a baseball stadium where he never talked to or looked at the audience, sat sideways playing a piano and his songs all were unrecognizable and sounded exactly the same. He was halfway through Tennessee blues before I heard a few lyrics mumbled that sounded similar. I also saw a middle aged woman pass what looked like a 5 year old a blunt

Anti-Flag.

The lead singer walked up to the microphone before they started and seriously told the audience "Please don't smoke you guys, it hurts my voice."

At a punk club.

Filled with smoking teenagers.

As punishment for his hubris I repeatedly jumped on stage and knocked over his microphone stand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mine is probably a 2005 bob Dylan show in a baseball stadium where he never talked to or looked at the audience, sat sideways playing a piano and his songs all were unrecognizable and sounded exactly the same. He was halfway through Memphis blues before I heard a few lyrics mumbled that sounded similar. I also saw a middle aged woman pass what looked like a 5 year old a blunt
Dylan is not a good live show anymore, but I will listen to Blood on the Tracks all drat day.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Phish are worse

Phish was invented by the CIA and disseminated among the youth to convince them that jam bands suck rear end, and so they will avoid all the best drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit
Drugs and the associated jam bands are disseminated by the cia you mean

• Locked thread