Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is it?
Other [Will Explain in Comments}
View Results

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blue Train posted:

Some interpreters believe that this was purposely encoded to describe Nero, so that Christians wouldn’t be openly persecuted by the Roman government.[2] However, we might respond, if Nero was already dead at the time of this book’s writing (AD 95), why would believers be afraid of persecution from him? Even the Roman senate knew Nero was insane, censuring him in AD 68. In addition to this, there are several other problems with this interpretation:

First, it is easy to force a meaning using this methodology. For instance, it’s suspicious that we need to transliterate Nero’s name into Hebrew before adding up the numbers. Why couldn’t we just add up the numerical value in Greek? Moreover, if we transliterate into Latin, we get similar results. Some early manuscripts read “616” rather than “666.” Osborne notes, “The Latin form of ‘Nero Caesar’ transliterated into Hebrew adds up to 616.”[3] This makes us wonder if we’re really discovering a meaning or if we’re creating one. Dr. George Salmon (mocking the idea of trying to use gematria to figure out who 666 refers to) aptly writes,

First, if the proper name by itself will not yield it, add a title; secondly, if the sum cannot be found in Greek, try Hebrew, or even Latin; thirdly, do not be too particular about the spelling… We cannot infer much from the fact that a key fits the lock if it is a lock in which almost any key will turn.[4]

Myth busted!

Hexidecimal or gate.

Then 611 en S makes the tuxedo fabric, ash cloth.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
2/3 is the most evil a number can be, the more 6's a number has the more evil it is, but 2/3 has INFINITE DIGITS and all of them are 6's.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
which number ends my miserable existence on this gay earth

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

The Loin King posted:

get swarthy and dial 911 :biotruths:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
this is a great thread because I keep listing to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Blue Train posted:

Some interpreters believe that this was purposely encoded to describe Nero, so that Christians wouldn’t be openly persecuted by the Roman government.[2] However, we might respond, if Nero was already dead at the time of this book’s writing (AD 95), why would believers be afraid of persecution from him? Even the Roman senate knew Nero was insane, censuring him in AD 68. In addition to this, there are several other problems with this interpretation:

First, it is easy to force a meaning using this methodology. For instance, it’s suspicious that we need to transliterate Nero’s name into Hebrew before adding up the numbers. Why couldn’t we just add up the numerical value in Greek? Moreover, if we transliterate into Latin, we get similar results. Some early manuscripts read “616” rather than “666.” Osborne notes, “The Latin form of ‘Nero Caesar’ transliterated into Hebrew adds up to 616.”[3] This makes us wonder if we’re really discovering a meaning or if we’re creating one. Dr. George Salmon (mocking the idea of trying to use gematria to figure out who 666 refers to) aptly writes,

First, if the proper name by itself will not yield it, add a title; secondly, if the sum cannot be found in Greek, try Hebrew, or even Latin; thirdly, do not be too particular about the spelling… We cannot infer much from the fact that a key fits the lock if it is a lock in which almost any key will turn.[4]

Myth busted!

Nero was sometimes referred to as “the beast” by Christians who thought he was either the antichrist or would return as the antichrist. Dude really hated Christians and brutally tortured and killed a lot of them. He was considered the first persecuter of Christians by some.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero#Nero_in_Jewish_and_Christian_tradition

616 was likey a copyists error who thought it was the numerical name in latin and not hebrew.
https://americanvision.org/1746/mark-of-beast-or/

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
It's Nero. The circumstances around Nero's death led to conspiracy theories that he actually survived and fled to Parthia, where he was raising an army to return and reclaim his throne. An ancient version of the whole "Hitler fled to South America" thing.

That's what Revelation is referencing when it talks about the beast surviving a great wound and returning to wage war on the faithful once more. Christians had PTSD from this guy and weren't sure he was really gone. Even though he obviously never returned, persecution of Christianity continued in some form at least until Trajan, and would flare up again several times until Constantine.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Miles McCloud posted:

It's Nero. The circumstances around Nero's death led to conspiracy theories that he actually survived and fled to Parthia, where he was raising an army to return and reclaim his throne. An ancient version of the whole "Hitler fled to South America" thing.

That's what Revelation is referencing when it talks about the beast surviving a great wound and returning to wage war on the faithful once more. Christians had PTSD from this guy and weren't sure he was really gone. Even though he obviously never returned, persecution of Christianity continued in some form at least until Trajan, and would flare up again several times until Constantine.

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Nero

After the emperor Nero committed suicide near the villa of his freedman Phaon in June of 68 AD, various Nero impostors appeared between the autumn of 69 AD and the reign of the emperor Domitian.[1] Most scholars set the number of Nero impostors to two or three, although St. Augustine wrote of the popularity of the belief that Nero would return in his day, known as the Nero Redivivus legend.[2] In addition to the three documented Pseudo-Neros, Suetonius refers to imperial edicts forged in the dead Nero's name that encouraged his followers and promised his imminent return to avenge himself on his enemies.[3]

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvipPYFebWc

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Then Nero had a retarded inbred son who came up with 2 ran 4 en es (2 random 4 in apollo) which gave them the code to make 1 ton titanium transformations on orens’s pine altar. It was thought if the Caesars were compromised they could make a new military ruling elite. So his name would be Branden S Esquire. Probably not preferred because they aren’t cute and have jitter and motion restriction. This guy really isn’t doing much of anything, he’s just along for the ride as a saint in case some poo poo happens to the ceasars. Remember there’s only 100 centaurs, it’s inherent in the name 100 bulls. 100 centaurs, the 4 horsemen (ruth, moses, and aaron, the cardinal is selected later), 10 vampires, the archangel laehcim, and 64 rose gold unichs, and the wolf. 180 people in gold storage on a 360 degree gold stack, 2 degrees per person.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
My grandma avoids both $6.16 and $6.66 charges at the grocery store just to be safe

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
why do all the numerology things work in english which wasn't even a language when these biblical secrets were encoded

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

NRVNSQR CHAOS

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tetsuo posted:

why do all the numerology things work in english which wasn't even a language when these biblical secrets were encoded

god is omniscient and knew it needed to work duh

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

tetsuo posted:

They don't work in English at all. English doesn't use letters to represent numerals.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this is a great thread because I keep listing to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgxF_tCmzk

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
ture wosrhippers of Luficer konw it is actulaly 999!

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this is a great thread because I keep listing to this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bgXH3sJ2Q

I wonder if they got investigated by the gov for their anti-war stuff o_O

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Loin King posted:

mine.... i'm surprisingly single

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Miles McCloud posted:

Christians, like members of other religious groups, are still being persecuted in parts of the world today. It makes me think Nero was/is an archetype.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

It doesn't matter if it's 616 or 666. You can praise Satan with any number. All that matters is that you keep him in your heart.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Loden Taylor posted:

It doesn't matter if it's 616 or 666. You can praise Satan with any number. All that matters is that you keep him in your heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnN05vOuSM
pretty sure I already did this

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

snack eater posted:

My grandma avoids both $6.16 and $6.66 charges at the grocery store just to be safe

Very wise. I hope you comfort grandma by reminding her that God created all numbers, he is the Alpha and Omega, and already won. Don't let the gangstalking spiritual warfare get her too down...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

i like that posted:

mine.... i'm surprisingly single

616 is the loneliest number

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Miles McCloud posted:

They don't work in English at all. English doesn't use letters to represent numerals.

six hundred and sixty six, or, six hundred and sixteen

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

616 is the loneliest number

I've been told I'm a 7

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

All superstition is garbage op

Renounce it all

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Don't mind me, I'm just posting to change the reply count from 66 to 67, just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

No. Its nero, because that was his name. He played a fiddle while rome burned. Did you not know this?

Nero played the lyre.
He also wasn't in Rome during that fire.
He also donated extremely heavily from his personal finances for the relief and rebuilding efforts and personally oversaw many of the rescue and rebuilding projects

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
The important part with of Satan is, just be confident in your numerology.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
the number of the beast is b345t

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Fredrik1 posted:

the number of the beast is b345t

i kicked satan's rear end in counterstrike back in 2001

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was OP's mom's phone number, but that turned out to be the number of the yeast.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSeqLSH2VAE

Well 6.66 is one hundredth of the number of the beast.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

i like that posted:

Hey,

We all know heard of the number of the beast, right? Well, some biblical historians have been saying that the actual mark of the beast is 616, and not 666, the number we all grew up with and loved.

I personally think it is 616. 6+1+6 = 13. The beast was talked about in Revelation 13. I guess that just makes more sense to me, otherwise the bible would have picked Revelation 18 (6+6+6).

Just a minor point, but the chapter & verse numbers were added later and should not be considered authoritative.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's 616 for almost all protestant denominations in the US iirc, or similar. 656 also shows up a bunch, I don't think anyone thinks writing or seeing the number is evil though.

Baptists have been getting weird though, so maybe.

Guy who mentioned nero is right though, revelations is the "prediction" of nero, the Huns, some starvation from bad crops nearish that time all jammed into one. poo poo was very hardcore about the world ending NOW!

Like poo poo there's stuff saying don't have babies, don't get married world is ending. That had to be tweaked a bit, which translations allow for easily.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Just a minor point, but the chapter & verse numbers were added later and should not be considered authoritative.

thank you Steve austin and wwe for churches to start teaching this. Gotta keep John 316 holy by all means necessary. Lol wwe being more effective than high school science ever has been in combating religious stupidity

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
616 is the Grand Rapids area.code; take that as you will

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Irenaeus said he had surveyed all the best manuscripts in the 2nd century and they said 666, which he reckoned = LATEINOS

But he was also a dullard who thought Jesus died in the reign of Claudius and opposed the true Gnosis of Valentinus, so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
How about 34d and it's the mark of the bust

• Locked thread