Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Considering Australia already has some pretty obvious tonal and accent differences between West Australia and everywhere else cultural and pronunciation decay sound about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Alternatively it was just an oversight as a result of not having anyone in the room who knew how to pronounce "dinky-di" whenever Chumbucket's actor was doing his lines. :v:

It's kind of difficult to think of a good comparison given the direction the cultural imperialism is flowing in this case, but... imagine having a character in (say) a Fallout game who often described things as "groovy" - only they always pronounced it "groov-eye". Nothing else particularly unusual about the way they spoke; just that one word was always off.

"Groov-eye man."

"Wow, groov-eye!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^^
i would unironically love that :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Large swaths of Fallout is about misinterpreting history, so this makes more sense than you think

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've never been to Australia, I've always assumed it was pronounced "Dinky-Dee". A good example of wasteland knowledge degradation will be in the next video, I think it's a neat and subtle touch. But that's not this video! This video is RELOCATIONS!

3: Abandon Ship/Polsy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You have a lovely voice, Scruffy.

:blush: Thank you.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

dscruffy1 posted:

If you enter the car from the left side often enough, he'll wonder if you have brain damage for getting in the wrong side of the car.

that is amazing and I would love to see that in a bonus video or something

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh yeah, speaking of people with dodgy Australian accents, Jeet.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Man that sucks about the early scapulance. Jeet's territory always seem to have an abundance of them early on but I've never seen one on the way to the first stronghold before. Too bad.

The environmental design is part of reason I love this game. It's so simple but still so effective; I still remember the first time arriving at Jeet's place and honestly being depressed by how miserable it looked. Somehow the capsized tanker was a better home than the hole in the ground surrounded by concrete rubble...

Aces High posted:

that is amazing and I would love to see that in a bonus video or something

We will be getting in and out of the car many thousands of times in this game, I'm sure we'll hear it sooner rather than later. Chum has usually said it to me before we're done Jeet's first errand.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Here's the best part. Jeet's stronghold is a lighthouse.

It's never stated to my knowledge, but it's pretty clear from context clues that we're driving around on the ocean floor.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If we're on the ocean floor, are we even in Australia anymore?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
According to the UN a country's territorial claims extend roughly 22KM off it's coasts as well - though without any water what is and isn't a coast anymore is kind of up in the air (also, countries don't exist anymore). But technically most of the Great White is still in what was Australia. A large part of Jeet's territory appears to be a former harbour, this will become even more apparent when we visit ~~~The Jaw~~~. It's also heavily implied that we're on the sea floor without anyone ever telling you - all the shipwrecks we keep coming across, the history relics mentioning the water receding, the dried out coral, abandoned oil rigs, other random junk strewn about. Lots of things telling you you're below sea level now.

There's a lot of details about the game that no one ever talks about in the game, instead you find out a lot of it by reading the encyclopedia thingy as just about everything in the game has an entry. You see it prompt you to read about things every time scruffy finds a new enemy, car or region. I'm pretty sure it mentions that Jeet's stronghold is a former lighthouse as well, with it's thick walls and elevated position making it ideal for holding off both the storms and gangs. If you haven't caught on by now it will become readily apparent when we visit Stronghold #2.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

No, not the dog! They killed puppy!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A character like Chumbucket is exactly the kind of thing open world games need - something to give context, to give even some form of minor companionship during the inevitable collectathon parts, and speak enthusiastically in place of the usually dour and down protagonist.

NHO posted:

No, not the dog! They killed puppy!

He's fine, somehow. I actually forget if they explain that or if he just shows up for the side quest you need him for.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I complimented Chumbucket's V.A., and they did a wonderful job, but a massive hats-off must go to the dialogue writers; the English in this game is so... understandable, yet alien at the same time. I really like that. It does make me wonder if there are other pieces of fiction in other languages which alter the native tongue similarly.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This game looks awesome and I’m definitely putting it on my Christmas list. Two things-

- There are Death Races in the game? They probably missed a great crossover opportunity by not having one against a bonus boss named Frankenstein.

- Looking forward to the convoy assaults. I’ll probably be humming a certain song. :D

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

achtungnight posted:

This game looks awesome and I’m definitely putting it on my Christmas list. Two things-

- There are Death Races in the game? They probably missed a great crossover opportunity by not having one against a bonus boss named Frankenstein.

- Looking forward to the convoy assaults. I’ll probably be humming a certain song. :D

I'm afraid the death races aren't quite that exciting. The convoys should scratch that itch, once I get up to taking one on.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
where exactly did all the water go if this is the former ocean floor? Did an oilrig punch through to the hollow earth by accident and now it's all in a giant cave full of dead dinosaurs or what?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

King Doom posted:

where exactly did all the water go if this is the former ocean floor? Did an oilrig punch through to the hollow earth by accident and now it's all in a giant cave full of dead dinosaurs or what?

Iirc the Mad Max apocalypse was triggered by a nuclear exchange, so between the initial conflagration and the likely massive turbofucking of the planet's climate afterward, I imagine a fair bit of it was straight up scattered into its constituent Hs and Os, with no guarantee that they'll ever meet again

e: the Hs in particular would be hard to keep from escaping into the nothing between worlds, if my memory of college chem for dummies English majors isn't failing me

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 7, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

King Doom posted:

It went Away.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This game, geographically compared to the movie, likely takes place to the south, because, the movie itself likely was a West to East vaguely horizontal drive on a map, thus this game is likely to the South, if it's canon to the movie. With the Citadel and Gastown and Bullet Farm being a rough triangle in the South-East of the Eastern States.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

King Doom posted:

Listen, don't worry about it. It's fine.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

King Doom posted:

Aliens. No wait, that was HL2, I think.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SatansOnion posted:

Iirc the Mad Max apocalypse was triggered by a nuclear exchange, so between the initial conflagration and the likely massive turbofucking of the planet's climate afterward, I imagine a fair bit of it was straight up scattered into its constituent Hs and Os, with no guarantee that they'll ever meet again

e: the Hs in particular would be hard to keep from escaping into the nothing between worlds, if my memory of college chem for dummies English majors isn't failing me

A nuclear winter induced ice age in the northern hemisphere were most of the strikes would have happened would all so be thing, maybe not enough that Max could road trip from Tasmania to New Guinea via land bridge but enough to add a few extra miles of coast line.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
The new stronghold guys accent really sticks out like a sore thumb, couldn't he even just pretend to have an accent similar to the people he grew up and lives around?

Like there are 25 million Aussies and another 4 million kiwis and 3.5 million Afrikaans who would do in a pinch so it's not like they wouldn't have been able to find a voice actor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bony tony posted:

It went Away.

it flew away with Captain Walker on his skyplane. it was sadly lost when he was hit by a gang called Turbulence. this happened all after the Pockyclipse, of course.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

King Doom posted:

Elon Musk sent it all to Mars.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fiendly posted:

Elon Musk sent it all to Mars.

Nestle bottled it all up.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
AUSPOL drank it all. Water is complicated man.

Let's take a look at THE JAW.

4: Dental Consultation/Polsy

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You know, in a way it seems counterintuitive to blow up all those very important, more or less Lostech, oil pumps as a way to take over a fortress. They're kinda important you know to make your life at least a little bit less miserable.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I was reading an article the other day that said it's funny if you kill the Warcriers last or not at all. Glad Scruffy didn't need to be prompted to show that off. Heh.

I'm going to call a sniper rifle a longshot in my next Call of Duty death match. Just to see how many of my teammates get the joke.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

achtungnight posted:

I was reading an article the other day that said it's funny if you kill the Warcriers last or not at all. Glad Scruffy didn't need to be prompted to show that off. Heh.

I always loved the fact that the Warcriers just hang around until you actively start fighting and look like they're the most bored people in the world. Then when the fists start flying it's all "CLEAVE HIS HEAD FROM HIS BODY" and flames are going everywhere.

You have to wonder if this is more of a 9-to-5 kind of gig for those guys. :v:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Aww, you killed the little drummer boy! Didn't you hear him say it was nothing personal?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Everyone looks so scrawny and underfed compared to Max...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Maybe the bathtubs with body parts aren't full of blood but instead a marinade. Ever think it's a culinary thing?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

inflatablefish posted:

Aww, you killed the little drummer boy! Didn't you hear him say it was nothing personal?

I really love the screamers, and the personality injected into them that the game did. They go on for quite a while; I do almost feel bad, but they blow up so good.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

I really love the screamers, and the personality injected into them that the game did. They go on for quite a while; I do almost feel bad, but they blow up so good.

Do they have something special to say if their guys kill Max?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

NHO posted:

Everyone looks so scrawny and underfed compared to Max...

Most of the population of the Mad Max world is dying of cancer.

That's on top of the whole 'post apocalyptic scarcity of water and edible foodstuffs' deal.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Maybe the bathtubs with body parts aren't full of blood but instead a marinade. Ever think it's a culinary thing?

Michael Ironside has a... proposition for you.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 9, 2018

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
So if you lead an enemy vehicle back to an allied camp or stronghold will they help you fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The storms that blow through the wasteland do in fact bring loot with them, and while dangerous (especially in the early game) there is still a way to cheese them and gain a lot of loot early on. When Chum or the game warns you that one is on the way make your way to an allied camp or stronghold but don't enter it. Instead, wait until the storm hits and you begin to see muthaloot crates begin to show up on the minimap then enter the camp. When you exit the storm will have cleared but the crates will still be laying where they landed.

cokerpilot posted:

So if you lead an enemy vehicle back to an allied camp or stronghold will they help you fight?

No. The friendlies you see around the strongholds and camps aren't actual NPCs - they're more doodads that have an animation than anything else. They can't be hurt (from what I've seen) nor will they react to anything you or an enemy do nearby. Most of them have some quip when you walk by but that's about it.