Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Democratic Pirate posted:

Based on the mid-credits scene, I’ll guess the next film is titled Spider-Man: Homeschooled.

Maybe Spider-Man: House Arrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just remembered the scene in the first act where Peter goes to buy an exotic necklace for MJ, tells the shopkeeper it's perfect, and then just pays for it with no problem.. Are the Parker's money problems officially over now that Peter is the unofficial heir to Tony Stark? It just seemed like a really obvious set-up for that kind of moment.

The movie treated Venice as very quaint and provincial I got the idea he was a poor simple merchant in that world so of course the thing cost little for an American tourist in a way that mad no real sense but worked on the weird cartoon versions of the places they went.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

dude is taking multi-country tours of Europe and his aunt is dating the head of security at stark industries.

this version of peter parker is loaded.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

In other words, you want him to be a friendly neighborhood Spider-man? We can't have that. MCU movies serve only to advertise the next MCU movie so everything has to be balls deep in the MCU world and all its trappings. Like, we can't have just Nick Fury prodding him along. It has to be Skrull Dude from Captain Marvel disguised as Nick Fury at his behest while the real Fury is doing something in outer space. What does this have to do with Spider-man? Nothing. But it's all gotta tie in somehow to the bigger MCU picture.

No I just mean I want him to stop acting so unsure of himself and thinking he's not good enough to be a superhero. At this point it's ridiculous.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So is Mysterio actually dead? Based on the mid-credits scene the footage was doctored so it could mean he faked his own death as well. Maybe I'm just being hopeful because Gyllenhaal did an excellent job and I'd want to see him come back in a Sinister Six capacity. Also I got way too hyped at seeing J.K. Simmons as JJJ again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

QuoProQuid posted:

dude is taking multi-country tours of Europe and his aunt is dating the head of security at stark industries.

I wondered about this as well.

They aren't Flash wealthy. May drives an older Volvo and appears to be working at a charity. I don't know if it's a job or if she's volunteering. Money never really comes up. So, I figure either Ben Parker did alright for himself and left behind a decent chunk of change for them, or Tony set them up with some sort of allowance.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

QuoProQuid posted:

Yes, but he stayed in a bad hotel. I really think he’s playing by Simpson’s rules where clearly he’d be clearly rich to do the things he does but would economically struggling any point money came up in the plot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So is Mysterio actually dead? Based on the mid-credits scene the footage was doctored so it could mean he faked his own death as well. Maybe I'm just being hopeful because Gyllenhaal did an excellent job and I'd want to see him come back in a Sinister Six capacity. Also I got way too hyped at seeing J.K. Simmons as JJJ again.

I think he's for real dead. They showed William (Beck's 'tech' guy) taking a flash drive from his laptop and booking it after their plan failed, so I assumed he was the one who leaked the doctored footage

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
I fell asleep during the movie but from
the stuff i saw this wasnt a good movie. Later

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mr. Funktastic posted:

My guess: Beck is dead but Mysterio will come back via holograms, they didn't get any of the remaining crew that helped with this whole thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think he's for real dead. They showed William (Beck's 'tech' guy) taking a flash drive from his laptop and booking it after their plan failed, so I assumed he was the one who leaked the doctored footage

I think they are saving an out here, regarding your spoiler: Before he takes it there is a read out on his computer saying like "Downloading new holographic simulation" or whatever tech term. That makes me think there is a possibility that some shenanigans were going on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't seem crazy to me that Parker would be able to buy some cheapass trinket after specifically saving up for it.

Avalerion posted:

My guess: Beck is dead but Mysterio will come back via holograms, they didn't get any of the remaining crew that helped with this whole thing.
Yeah I think it's this. His crew is still around and Mysterio is more popular than ever. They lost their lead actor but in this day and age that doesn't mean they can't star in your film.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think it's this. His crew is still around and Mysterio is more popular than ever. They lost their lead actor but in this day and age that doesn't mean they can't star in your film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuAjeuKXX7c

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Honestly it feels like to me that it could be ambiguous and they intentionally left it in the air in case Gyllenhaal wants to come back for a future S6 movie? Would be a smart move, but then again even if he's dead his crew could still have him show up as holograms.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

When JJJ appeared I squeezed my date's leg so hard I almost gave her a bruise.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

MokBa posted:

I don't think the kids in the theater really got it, but this was the high point of the movie for me, and I thought the movie was pretty great in general. It was good on so many levels.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MokBa posted:

the ol stop and squee

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It doesn't seem crazy to me that Parker would be able to buy some cheapass trinket after specifically saving up for it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he mentioned it was made of glass. Probably $100 tops.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MokBa posted:

No one says "Spider-Man!" quite like JK Simmons

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
re:flash I'm betting one of his parents got hurt or killed during the trip, something that Spider-Man could have stopped if he wasn't in Europe at the time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The movie treated Venice as very quaint and provincial I got the idea he was a poor simple merchant in that world so of course the thing cost little for an American tourist in a way that mad no real sense but worked on the weird cartoon versions of the places they went.

Having been to Venice a bunch that kind of Murano glass thing would cost Peter about $80.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Necrothatcher posted:

Having been to Venice a bunch that kind of Murano glass thing would cost Peter about $80.

Not if he had it custom made in a day, but in movie logic, yeah

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Mymla posted:

I don't think the kids in the theater really got it, but this was the high point of the movie for me, and I thought the movie was pretty great in general. It was good on so many levels.

im a big fan of setting him up as Alex Jones for the MCU.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Not if he had it custom made in a day, but in movie logic, yeah

It's not a complicated glass project. Flower pendants are kind of shops like that's bread and butter.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So this is the second Spiderman movie where the villains are working class who take technology and act above their station. In a movie where there is an international network of spy satellites loaded with weaponized drones all under the control of a sixteen year old. Given to him by a certified manchild-turned-hero-turned-martyr tech billionaire.

It's certainly got some "yikes" subtext.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

More pressingly my issue is Quentin Beck is the second spiderman villain in a row thats a foil for Tony Stark

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The villains are not working class by any stretch of the imagination.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I didnt like it all too much. And its because until literally the last minutes it feels like a worse rehash of both the first movie and with showing how ill suited Spider Man alone is for widescreen level Avengers threats. It felt wrong where Homecoming felt so fight.

have a serious soft spot for paranoia enducing supervillains, especially shapeshifters and mindcontrollers (Skrulls, Kilgrave) but i just didnt care at all for Gyllenhaal after the reveal which is weird as every scene before the reveal i was filled with existential dread but the reveal made his personality so much less engrossing and i was aching for Michael Keaton and his three dimensional character and storyline.

It reminded me of John Wick 3 weirdly, a sequel spinning its wheels until it sets up the next film and rehashing heavily the previously film.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

PJOmega posted:

So this is the second Spiderman movie where the villains are working class who take technology and act above their station. In a movie where there is an international network of spy satellites loaded with weaponized drones all under the control of a sixteen year old. Given to him by a certified manchild-turned-hero-turned-martyr tech billionaire.

It's certainly got some "yikes" subtext.

My interpretation is that the villains were a bunch of one-percenters (senior business executives) anxious about their class status relative to the .01-percenters (Tony Stark and his designated heir Peter Parker). The way they resolve their anxiety is by putting forth a political strongman who can act on their grievances and give them the status they believe they deserve while outwardly appearing a defender of the masses.

Mysterio’s battles appear to be spontaneous expressions of his power, spectacles that shows he alone can solve the world’s problems, but these events are actually highly choreographed events meant to foster a sense of crisis, terrify the public, and allow him and his allies to consolidate power.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 9, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I cannot work out what the end goal of the villains is, even though its spelled out as "now we will be respected" from the shadows I guess? Like it's why im comparing it to Homecoming harshly in that Vulture's endgoal has already been reached, and hes very good at what he does. Theres no plan they're trying to accomplish they're just trying to keep the machine working. In this film they clearly have built an idea and a plan but they never seem to coherently coalesce into a motivation that could be simply revenge except it involves a large group of people all aligned to... ummm... I have no idea. It isn't world domination I don't think? It's built on "avoiding the Avengers to achieve... ummm..."

Like I said it feels like a movie that never got going, in that it felt awkward anyway putting a Friendly Neighbourhood character in a too big for his britches storyline, but made Spider-Man both look entirely unprepared for that and that nthey really do need The Avngers or Doctor Strange or Captain Marvel for these plotlines. Its not helped by the too big britches storyline was done in Spiderverse and done better with more emotion and a stronger message of "anyone can be spider-man" where in this one its "Spider-Man is the Mati of the MCU"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

beanieson posted:

Must have sucked pretty bad for all the people blipped back into existence like, on a highway or in the air or on train tracks and poo poo if they were dusted while traveling.

I had this same thought about whatever that robot movie with Bruce Willis was. Some people need to get surgery or actually travel somewhere themselves instead of with their robot form, sucks is the surgeon or pilot and all the crew just lose connection.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In a world where heroes are the preeminent citizens it makes sense there would be alot if ppl envious of them and seeking to replace them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Flash - The way I read it, Flash's parents (or just mom?) frequently aren't there for him. It felt like he expected them not to be there but was slightly hopeful that they cared since he could have died. He's a typical bully with a lovely home life, at least emotionally.

Fury - Fury actually being Talos explains why the Avengers weren't available. The only reason he was there was to give Peter the glasses, everything else was Talos overstepping his bounds and trying to control a situation like Fury would, without the ability to call in the big guns. I mean, he COULD call them in but I imagine he really really didn't want to as he would have to explain why to the actual Fury.

May - May loving rocked those mom jeans.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I still haven't quite gotten over how robin scherbatsky is now nick fury's sidekick.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So after sitting on my thoughts for a while, I'm gonna go ahead and say Far From Home is the worst Spider-Man movie for me. What cemented this wasn't the messed up drone stuff, but having Back in Black soundtrack the scene where Peter is putting together a new suit inside Stark's private jet and Happy looking at him all proud and poo poo. That elicits such a strong "oh gently caress off" reaction from me and sours the character well beyond anything bad that TASM2 or Spider-Man 3 did imo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

teagone posted:

So after sitting on my thoughts for a while, I'm gonna go ahead and say Far From Home is the worst Spider-Man movie for me. What cemented this wasn't the messed up drone stuff, but having Back in Black soundtrack the scene where Peter is putting together a new suit inside Stark's private jet and Happy looking at him all proud and poo poo. That elicits such a strong "oh gently caress off" reaction from me and sours the character well beyond anything bad that TASM2 or Spider-Man 3 did imo.

While I'm posting here about how the people saying FFH is replacing Homecoming when its really not for many reasons this is hyperbole I cannot abide.

Observe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfC-DTkhEWY

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lid posted:

While I'm posting here about how the people saying FFH is replacing Homecoming when its really not for many reasons this is hyperbole I cannot abide.

Observe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfC-DTkhEWY

Lol, gently caress. I forgot about that scene. Ok, ok. I take it back. But, I'll say FFH is as bad as TASM2. For different reasons obviously.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also this because YOU ARE NOT RAIMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_JzihiWvlQ

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Got to see FFH this weekend. I liked it more than Homecoming. It was a fun movie that teased some pretty cool stuff that I'm honestly excited to see in the future. And I enjoyed the movie as a whole in the meantime. I really thought Zendaya did a great job and stole most of her scenes, and I'd really love to see Gyllenhal back as Mysterio. He crushed it.

Few nitpicks and observations, and most of this isn't about this movie specifically...

I agree with everyone saying Spider-Man comes across more as Iron-Lad, but I also didn't think that was grossly out of line with more recent incarnations of the character post-Civil War I in the comics. It also seemed more in line with the PS4 video game than anything though, which also doesn't bother me.

Back to Iron-Lad, I thought the scene in the jet where he's 3D printing his suit or whatever was a little too on the nose, but Marvel seems to be making it crystal-loving-clear that Spidey is the new 'head' of the MCU in the vein of Iron Man. Which I thought they already not-so-subtly teased several times.

I really liked the reveal of the Skrulls and what looks to be SWORD. The entire movie I kept wondering why Maria was so spaced out and Fury kept messing with his eye-patch. They were 'off,' but I couldn't pinpoint why. Then it all made sense. What really made me wonder about Fury before the reveal was when he said, "Don't invoke her name" like Captain Marvel was a deity. Fury would never have used wording like that.

As much as I enjoyed Mysterio and how they were creating the Elementals threat, I still don't understand WHY they were doing it. It kind of reminded me of Zemo's plan from Civil War. Like, "ok, so this looked cool in the movie and created some awesome scenes, but what's the endgame here?" I guess it was to create a fake celebrity hero or something to... what end?

I sure wish we could let Spider-Man have a villain all to himself without it being scraps from the Stark table. Maybe now that HE'S A MENACE it'll set the stage for this Spidey to finally have someone to be his nemesis. I also am not in love with the idea that Spider-Man is mostly dealing with existential threats to earth, instead of just protecting Manhattan from his usual rogues gallery. Spidey just works better on a smaller scale, which ultimately made Homecoming work a little better in the grand scheme of things.

I do wonder how we've managed two full Spider-Man films and three other appearance by Parker (Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame), but it still seems that very little of what they're using is being drawn from the broader scope of Spidey stories. I mean, it's Peter Parker and there still hasn't been a single reference to Oscorp, Otto Octavious, Felicia Hardy, Doc Connors, Gwen Stacy, and on and on... I know they've already been seen in an earlier film or have something in development elsewhere, but how much of the odd story direction is due to Sony's continued ownership of film rights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think the team's end goal was to be the next "Iron Man" because they saw Tony was wildly successful with it, both monetarily and in terms of world influence. They feel he stole their ideas (and are probably right) and want what he had for no other reason than to have it because it's theirs by right. Beck was very explicit that they are about to be rich during his speech. After that, it's all about maintaining the illusion. They aren't thinking about actual super heroics or fighting aliens, because they are not thinking about what Tony had to actually do as Iron Man. They are focused on what they "deserve."