Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spider-Man: Far From Home is out NOW

It stars Tom Holland as Mr.Spider-Man Peter Parker, Jake Gyllenhaal as Master Mysterio Quentin Beck and J.B. Smoove as Mr.Dell.

Christy Lemire from RogerEbert.com posted:

Much like “National Lampoon’s European Vacation” was a perfectly enjoyable if inferior follow-up to the genre-defining, zany ‘80s comedy “Vacation,” “Spider-Man: Far From Home” changes the scenery but can’t quite match the inspired heights of its predecessor.

Thumbs up!

Paul Asay from Plugged In posted:

Far From Home is a fine, fun, serviceable superhero flick. But like Peter Parker’s European vacation, it contains some unwelcome surprises, too

Spoiler rules in effect for at least what, 2 weeks? I haven't seen it yet but wanted to create a post to move the landmine discussions away from the ComicBook thread.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The movie has a weird meta level of "ugg, we made like 50 of these, just make spiderman fight a motion capture suit directly or something" where this is the outfit tom holland actually wears to be spiderman:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Actually it’s quite good

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I actually think that's really cool.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
And also, that was the villain's whole deal, so ya know...

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Count on Spider-Man to have a movie about the death of objective truth and authoritarian media control

Definitely one of the most interesting Marvel films. I have minor quibbles but it’s better than most its competitors.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 6, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
What the heck kind of trip were they even on anyway?

Like a super underfunded summertime school trip to three random european cities that isn't any sort of senior trip and doesn't seem connected to any school thing. That isn't a thing at any level.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The locations they end up visiting were all a ruse to get Parker to fight the elementals. I assume the original trip was a lot less lavish and had some connection to school work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They were on a summer science trip from a prestigious school. Its not unheard of for academies to do things like that, especially if you rope some kids with rich parents into the concept.

Film has my favorite end fight of any of these films in the last decade because it was, while spectacle, a different setup from the usual boss. It made Peter feel genuinely super powered in a way other super hero films fail to capture.

Opening Getty Images joke was incredible so that might be tainting my opinion

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I really liked it and it’s a strong foot to start off on MCU pt 2. Tom Holland is the best Peter Parker and while anyone remotely familiar w Mysterio and his shtick can guess how things shake out, it was still a fun ride. I appreciate that they’re leaning into the teenage aspect of Peter’s life, and emphasized that he’s still a kid who wants to do kid things.

I’d recommend going to see it if you enjoy a fun action movie or any of the MCU stuff. I’d say it definitely requires some background of MCU but they do their best to make it accessible to anyone just tuning into this movie.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The locations they end up visiting were all a ruse to get Parker to fight the elementals. I assume the original trip was a lot less lavish and had some connection to school work.

The original trip seemed to be venice, london, paris and nothing else with like 20 students from one grade. I am sure it's just "don't think too hard about it" movie logic, but in the first movie the trip to DC was a math team finals trip so it was justified. This one seems really random on who was there and where they went. Like it was every single main character members of the math team but none of the other members, then just some other people from their class. Like movies do that stuff a lot so I am not upset or anything, but it's a really weird trip if you think about it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It was pretty good. I liked how they handled Mysterio’s character, and made him over the top theatrical, including having henchmen write dialogue and iron his cape during a crisis.

Some quibbles:
-The first half was kinda dull if you were familiar with Mysterio, I was hoping for a double fake out where he really is good guy (like they did with the Skrulls). After he was revealed it picked up.

-The glasses made no sense. They allow anyone it recognizes as an admin full control of a WMD satellite? In a world where Tony knows shapeshifters and Loki exist? It was understandable Mysterio would have full control for a little while before Peter can tell anyone, but after Happy knows Stark Industries should have been able to lock out the account, even if Happy’s phone is tapped. Fly to any of the Stark offices in Europe. And why didn’t Mysterio take a second to delete Peter’s profile, or at add a password?

-The high school classmate stuff got tedious. His teacher is a goof and student romances are silly, I get it. It was better managed in Homecoming where there were consequences to students wandering off and it was grounded, now it was just “do whatever you want, 16 year old kids.”

-Peter was too casual about taking his mask off. Kitchen of a fundraiser, Tower Bridge during major news event, meeting with Fury and lots of other people... etc.

Overall though still good. The Nick Fury Skrull reveal was fun and explained his inability to figure out Mysterio.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Must have sucked pretty bad for all the people blipped back into existence like, on a highway or in the air or on train tracks and poo poo if they were dusted while traveling.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thought this movie was mediocre, personally. One or two good set pieces, and Gyllenhaal was great, but oof. Parker and the story suffer under the weight of the MCU and Tony Stark. I feel like tying Peter to Stark so closely was a mistake. He never really comes into his own, but instead the MCU has him thrive off the legacy of Stark and that's kinda bullshit imo. Also just lol at the way the film dealt with the post-dusting drama and the continued destruction of character development Stark had, even after his death.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

teagone posted:

Thought this movie was mediocre, personally. One or two good set pieces, and Gyllenhaal was great, but oof. Parker and the story suffer under the weight of the MCU and Tony Stark. I feel like tying Peter to Stark so closely was a mistake. He never really comes into his own, but instead the MCU has him thrive off the legacy of Stark and that's kinda bullshit imo. Also just lol at the way the film dealt with the post-dusting drama and the continued destruction of character development Stark had, even after his death.

For once I agree with you. The movie was a Spider-man sequel, a coda to the Iron Man Story, and Avengers Endgame Epilogue all wrapped up into a mess of a movie. And it somehow manage to throw in some Captain Marvel poo poo too? Okayyyy

The best parts of the movie were the non-superhero parts. Gyllenhall was great but the movie was just all over the place. I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I don't really care about Tom Holland as Spidey. He's fine, but to be perfectly honest you could cast any young male actor in the same age bracket and it'd be fine. He doesn't bring anything special or unique to the table.

The story should have been simplified a lot. Peter Parker goes on a field trip and has to fight a baddie when all he wants to do is have fun should have been a slam dunk. Instead we get multi-color barf pile of a movie to kick off the next phase (I want to kill myself everytime I say this) of the MCU.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This is actually still regarded as part of the previous phase. They haven't announced any movies for the next one yet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This is actually still regarded as part of the previous phase. They haven't announced any movies for the next one yet.

I'm pretty sure Doctor Strange and Black Panther sequels are a lock, and Guardians 3 currently has a director.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

lol what. Are you serious?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

lol what. Are you serious?

Yes, Feige said earlier this year that Marvel Studios considered Far From Home to be the actual end of Phase 3.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm pretty sure Doctor Strange and Black Panther sequels are a lock, and Guardians 3 currently has a director.

Coogler is signed to write and direct Black Panther 2, and Doctor Strange 2 was announced late last year, with Derrickson, Cumberbatch and McAdams returning. They also have Shang-Chi and The Eternals in development. I think they've also said they want to do a third Ant-Man movie.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose Oquendo posted:

The best parts of the movie were the non-superhero parts. Gyllenhall was great but the movie was just all over the place. I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I don't really care about Tom Holland as Spidey. He's fine, but to be perfectly honest you could cast any young male actor in the same age bracket and it'd be fine. He doesn't bring anything special or unique to the table.

He's a dancer, and he's the first cinematic Spidey that moves the way he should when he's not a computer graphic.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

He's a dancer, and he's the first cinematic Spidey that moves the way he should when he's not a computer graphic.

I couldn't tell he was a dancer because the action choreography in this movie was bad. I liked Homecoming a lot so I was bummed that most stuff in the movie was a wet fart for me.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I didn't like this one as much tbh

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Movie was great fun, just not as good as Homecoming. Structure was a bit off and I just don't think the MJ character works as well as it needs to. Still would place it near the top of the MCU overall.

Is it just me or did this one look a lot better than most other MCU movies, in terms of shot composition, color balance, and just general CGI quality? Like there was none of the usual low contrast TV show grade shots, and in fact I found myself wanting even the action scenes to keep going longer because they looked amazing. Usually the action scenes have no visual wow factor anymore in any blockbuster.

Granted the intro sequence Iron Spider shots looked like crap, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the visuals way more than I expected. Maybe because a lot of it took place in European cities where the usual MCU look fits better, or something??

Also Jake Gyllenhaal is incapable of bad acting.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Movie was great fun, just not as good as Homecoming. Structure was a bit off and I just don't think the MJ character works as well as it needs to. Still would place it near the top of the MCU overall.

Is it just me or did this one look a lot better than most other MCU movies, in terms of shot composition, color balance, and just general CGI quality? Like there was none of the usual low contrast TV show grade shots, and in fact I found myself wanting even the action scenes to keep going longer because they looked amazing. Usually the action scenes have no visual wow factor anymore in any blockbuster.

Granted the intro sequence Iron Spider shots looked like crap, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the visuals way more than I expected. Maybe because a lot of it took place in European cities where the usual MCU look fits better, or something??

I thought there were some obvious green screen bits that were a little jarring but actually getting out on location really helped the visuals of this movie.

It is kind of weird to see a movie starring what should be Marvel's marquee character be so heavily entangled within the MCU but I guess that's the Sony factor. That being said it does feel like one of the only franchises within the MCU along with Ant-man where the superhero actually has significant interactions with the "real" world.

For such an transitory movie I think it does what it needs to well and the end credits scenes have me tentatively intrigued by the next MCUs.

Still jarring that we're five movies into this iteration of Spider-man and he's probably spent more total time at this point in Prague than Manhattan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

Still jarring that we're five movies into this iteration of Spider-man and he's probably spent more total time at this point in Prague than Manhattan.

I think this is what bothers me the most about MCU Spider-Man. He's more Iron Boy than Spider-Man.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

teagone posted:

I think this is what bothers me the most about MCU Spider-Man. He's more Iron Boy than Spider-Man.

He's morty.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for villains that like each other, so his celebration with his henchmen was wonderful, even if he did turn into a bit of a diva later.

Definitely gonna be rewatching his rant once it's on youtube and I need something to cheer me up.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I like that this movie is a high budget episode of Scooby Doo right down to the projected monsters plotpoint. Mysterio as an AR charlatan is great though I wonder if the creators are just drawing from the same well as the first movie with the villain. Another group of laborers who are pissed at Tony Stark for being underappreciated.

What's the significance of Flash's parents being missing? or was that MJ. I just remembered his parents weren't there to pick him up and there was that text message during the bus ride.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Something about the delivery of "that wasn't so hard" in the bar just makes me smile every time I remember it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sourdough Sam posted:

What's the significance of Flash's parents being missing? or was that MJ. I just remembered his parents weren't there to pick him up and there was that text message during the bus ride.

Just as contrast. Flash has everything except a family, Peter doesn't have much except a family that loves him. And an inherited tech empire. And a hot girlfriend. And... okay, the comparison breaks down if you look at it too hard, the main point is that Flash is a facade of awesomeness over an empty life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He wishes.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Bruceski posted:

Just as contrast. Flash has everything except a family, Peter doesn't have much except a family that loves him. And an inherited tech empire. And a hot girlfriend. And... okay, the comparison breaks down if you look at it too hard, the main point is that Flash is a facade of awesomeness over an empty life.

Yeah that makes sense but it seems weird to stretch out his arc of being a shallow unloved scion over two, potentially three movies unless they're trying to set him up as some kinda Harry Osborne/Hobgoblin analogue. It could just be sloppy screenwriting if we're supposed to pity him without any redemption in the same movie. I guess he helped save the day but that's it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sourdough Sam posted:

I like that this movie is a high budget episode of Scooby Doo right down to the projected monsters plotpoint. Mysterio as an AR charlatan is great though I wonder if the creators are just drawing from the same well as the first movie with the villain. Another group of laborers who are pissed at Tony Stark for being underappreciated.

Now I want to see a version in which they know Mysterio is bad but not that it's Quentin Beck, and Peter pulls the mask fish bowl off and Velma's out a "Quentin Beeeeeeeeck?!"

quote:

Yeah, I was kind of upset by that. Flash is an rear end in a top hat but not THAT much of an rear end in a top hat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spider-Man 2 remains the best live-action Spider-Man movie. MCU Iron Boy ain't got poo poo on Raimi.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I liked it a lot and I am interested in where it's going from here. I just hope after five films where he's Spider-Man, the next time Tom Holland's version is self confident and shows that he's experienced. He's fought Captain America, Vulture, Squidward, some other aliens, Thanos, and...the stuff in this movie. It's enough already.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I liked it a lot and I am interested in where it's going from here. I just hope after five films where he's Spider-Man, the next time Tom Holland's version is self confident and shows that he's experienced. He's fought Captain America, Vulture, Squidward, some other aliens, Thanos, and...the stuff in this movie. It's enough already.

In other words, you want him to be a friendly neighborhood Spider-man? We can't have that. MCU movies serve only to advertise the next MCU movie so everything has to be balls deep in the MCU world and all its trappings. Like, we can't have just Nick Fury prodding him along. It has to be Skrull Dude from Captain Marvel disguised as Nick Fury at his behest while the real Fury is doing something in outer space. What does this have to do with Spider-man? Nothing. But it's all gotta tie in somehow to the bigger MCU picture.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Based on the mid-credits scene, I’ll guess the next film is titled Spider-Man: Homeschooled.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Based on the mid-credits scene, I’ll guess the next film is titled Spider-Man: Homeschooled.

Spider-Man: Home Incarceration

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It was pretty good. I liked how they handled Mysterio’s character, and made him over the top theatrical, including having henchmen write dialogue and iron his cape during a crisis.

Some quibbles:
-The first half was kinda dull if you were familiar with Mysterio, I was hoping for a double fake out where he really is good guy (like they did with the Skrulls). After he was revealed it picked up.

-The glasses made no sense. They allow anyone it recognizes as an admin full control of a WMD satellite? In a world where Tony knows shapeshifters and Loki exist? It was understandable Mysterio would have full control for a little while before Peter can tell anyone, but after Happy knows Stark Industries should have been able to lock out the account, even if Happy’s phone is tapped. Fly to any of the Stark offices in Europe. And why didn’t Mysterio take a second to delete Peter’s profile, or at add a password?

-The high school classmate stuff got tedious. His teacher is a goof and student romances are silly, I get it. It was better managed in Homecoming where there were consequences to students wandering off and it was grounded, now it was just “do whatever you want, 16 year old kids.”

-Peter was too casual about taking his mask off. Kitchen of a fundraiser, Tower Bridge during major news event, meeting with Fury and lots of other people... etc.

Overall though still good. The Nick Fury Skrull reveal was fun and explained his inability to figure out Mysterio.

Points one and three really stuck out to me too, regarding the quibbles.

#1)Yeah, considering if you read the comics or watched a Spider-Man cartoon it just felt like waiting for Mysterio's heel turn. I was hoping there'd be some sort of fake-out, like he actually was from a different universe, but then 616 Quentin got wind of Mysterio and replaced him or something. But having two Mysterios running around probably would have been too much

#3 I just agree. It started to get dull.

I liked Homecoming a lot better, this one still had some good moments. Peter just didn't feel like Spider-Man, more like Iron Lad like a few other posters have said.

Not sure if I need to mark this as a spoiler (cameo related), but is this the first one without a Stan Lee cameo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered the scene in the first act where Peter goes to buy an exotic necklace for MJ, tells the shopkeeper it's perfect, and then just pays for it with no problem.. Are the Parker's money problems officially over now that Peter is the unofficial heir to Tony Stark? It just seemed like a really obvious set-up for that kind of moment.