Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Burt Sexual posted:

Do you kick them in the balls, or what?

nah I just ignore them and go talk to the actual homeless people, some of which I know kinda well by now. But when do you REALLY know somebody?

you have to gently caress up pretty hard to be homeless in Australia, or just have a mental health issue really. I'm a massively useless piece of poo poo with a heap of issues so I fit right in both when I spent time out there or when I'm looking to score drugs or walking around the city in circles for hours because I can't stand the thought of being at home doing nothing with my life but I don't have any motivation or money or desire to change

anyway donate canned food and blankets because those are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Give a homeless guy cash. If you don't have that, give him a beer or a smoke. Those are currency. A smoke (sometimes) trades for a beer and a beer trades for a sandwich. Give what you have and be kind. Only people with black hearts try to tell themselves that all homeless people are fakes or the natural underclass.

Hell Yeah posted:

i'm giving the homeless weed

Weed trades really good too. Even if a dude doesn't partake, he can trade that weed for good value.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When a homeless person asks for a dollar I give them whatever biggest bill I find in my wallet, usually a 20 or at least a 5. Never a 100 though because I don't carry those, since I'm not a boomer.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm voting for Bernie, does that count?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

denver has a huge homeless population

they kinda turned the platte into a fema camp, but what are ya gonna do

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just flag the cops over when a homeless man tries to engage with me. I'm sure the police will help that nice man

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm voting for Bernie, does that count?

Voting for anyone who isn't a republican is by default better for the homeless, so yeah

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I bet one of the thousands of millionares and billionaires could literally hand out homes to the homeless, tiny houses with the essentials and support for maintaining that. But they lean on the lower classes to take care of it, even though they are strapped, making them feel very lovely. Fuckin eat the rich, they put them on the street in the first place, one way or another.

Therefore, the best way to help the homeless is to eat fuckin rich people.

I heard a story in Philly that a fake pandhandler was loving stacking panhandled cash and going back to his car.and driving home to Jersey. Real local homeless caught wind of it, followed him to his car and beat him to death

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I wish I could stare the blight of homelessness in the face and just say... Hey! Stop doing this to people!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

You're thinking of Oliver Twist it's a work of fiction

What a Fagin.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's literally a rightwing lie hth

It must be an actual thing in Europe. Let's not overgeneralize from our own country.

I mean, they have actual pickpockets over there instead of 15 year olds shoving a gun in your face and beating you with it. I always assumed pickpocketing was one of those urban legends here in America

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

gently caress the homeless

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

DamnitGannet posted:

I live in California where the narrative is that homeless people are all addicted to heroin and poo poo everywhere and are terrible

I mean they're not wrong up to this point

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tane posted:

gently caress the homeless

If you think it’s the best way to help them...

*pulls down pants*

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The best way to help the homeless is to feed their soul. Give them those fake 20s with the bible pamphlets hidden inside so they can come to know the Lord.

also start running because they'll probably want to beat your rear end for tricking them

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I employ a lot of homeless to do my bidding. I pay the trustworthy ones more to keep the sketchy ones in order

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

I employ a lot of homeless to do my bidding. I pay the trustworthy ones more to keep the sketchy ones in order

a good start - once you get enough, I would suggest investing in a piece of land somewhere the government can't get to you, some might call it a "compound". Then you can live like the king of the homeless. Make sure you have a contingency plan for when the government comes to ruin your fun though.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i give homeless people money i do not much mind if they spend it on crack or whathaveyou it is their money to spend as they choose

there was a fake homeless guy in my town that got exposed in the local newspaper and i never gave him poo poo because he laid it it on way too thick and it was obvious he was a scam man

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

loving LOLOLOL at anyone who says:

I GAVE (insert any item deemed to be of great value to a homeless person) AND ALL THEY SAID WAS (rude or dismissive comment about said item). This is not an excuse to not be helpful. Folks seem to think that the homeless are going to genuflect before them and express deep gratitude toward their KIND and GIVING souls. Living on the street takes decades off your life, the poo poo is not nice.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The_Continental posted:

I GAVE (insert any item deemed to be of great value to a homeless person) AND ALL THEY SAID WAS (rude or dismissive comment about said item). This is not an excuse to not be helpful. Folks seem to think that the homeless are going to genuflect before them and express deep gratitude toward their KIND and GIVING souls. Living on the street takes decades off your life, the poo poo is not nice.

what is the white people way to say "word" i want to say that?

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

oh but seriously I posted:

what is the white people way to say "word" i want to say that?

I still say “word” like a lot. Word is acceptable unless you are the whitest of white people.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'm white and I say "word" but I TOTALLY HAVE BLACK FRIENDS NOT RACIS'

anyway try it on you might win a few friends 'round the ol' water cooler

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The_Continental posted:

I'm white and I say "word" but I TOTALLY HAVE BLACK FRIENDS NOT RACIS'

anyway try it on you might win a few friends 'round the ol' water cooler

i am going out in a bit. i am gonna do it man, i am going to go for it. will report back

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Just say “that’s what’s up” all the time until you get stabbed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The_Continental posted:

in college I bought a homeless guy a slice of pizza because he asked for one, then asked for cash but i didn't have any so he said "let's go to an ATM then" and I said no, to which he said "gently caress you" and left with his pizza. I think it was a fair response.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think we should all get together and pitch in to buy a condo at Three Olives' place and let all the homeless live there.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I think we should all get together and pitch in to buy a condo at Three Olives' place and let all the homeless live there.

The title of the thread is "do something NICE for the homeless"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I lol'd at the "gently caress you" part but man its really sad.

There was this guy who used to frequent downtown Detroit's Greektown area where I was managing a restaurant. The guy was a paranoid schizophrenic and literally had bits of paper stuffed into his ears because his auditory hallucinations were so bad. His eyes and tongue darted around, he spoke to himself, he had like 3 pairs of pants but you could still ALWAYS see his balls somehow. He was the definition of "stark, raving mad". He was obsessed with collecting cans. Lets call him Old J.

One time this truck driver for Coca-Cola stopped to make a delivery to an adjacent restaurant. It was a really narrow one way street. He left the gate of his truck open and Old J comes staggering around the corner and eyes the rows and rows of multi-colored soda cans inside the open truck. He wipes the spit off his chin and runs for the back of the truck and just starts tearing poo poo the gently caress up. He's grabbing full cans and throwing them behind himself out into the street. Cans are exploding and spraying sugar syrup all over cars, people are swerving out of the way, its chaos. The driver comes out of the shop screaming at Old J, who gets startled, jumps out of the truck and runs around a corner. He made off with probably 3 cans total.

The driver was really pissed off filing a police report with the 2 cops who work that street during the day and of course know Old J. He wanted them to pursue and arrest the guy. They were just laughing and shrugging.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I let them live. Isn't that nice?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Existence is pain and street living doubly so, so no I wouldn't say you're doing them a favor.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Hmm so my original impulse was correct. Thanks for letting me know

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like the nice thankful homeless that smell juuuuust bad enough that you know they're, like, really homeless, but not so bad that you don't want to give them any money. I don't like the ~*~craaaAAAAaaaazy~*~ kind of homeless where they're like super-duper dirty, or have visible problems. I guess I'd say I like the Honda Civic of homeless people. You know, nothing too flashy.

Don't @ me.

Shelters usually need all the supplies you can give them. Toiletries (travel soaps, shampoo, etc), condoms, first aid stuff, feminine hygiene products, baby wipes, etc. One of the homeless guys that used to sleep in our ATM vestibule once asked me to buy him a razor and shaving cream, so I've been donating a bunch of that too since I never would have thought of it. Also, if you're somewhere cold then look into volunteering at a warming station. They pop-up in severely cold weather and they could always use a hand.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

It’s Florida. Our homeless live the sweet life with no cold and all the oranges they can eat right off the neighborhood trees.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Is it true that california streets are paved with doodoo?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Dean of Swing posted:

Is it true that california streets are paved with doodoo?

Yes, absolutely

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
"I give the homeless cash, and I dont care if they spend it on crack, which feeds the habit that might be perpetually keeping them homeless."

-an enlightened goon.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Skip the middleman and just give them crack

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

central dogma posted:

"I give the homeless cash, and I dont care if they spend it on crack, which feeds the habit that might be perpetually keeping them homeless."

-an enlightened goon.

It's not your role to tell them how to live. You're supposed to give them money and then they tell you to gently caress yourself and then you do that too. That's all you deserve

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

central dogma posted:

-an enlightened goon.

The best course of action is to tell them they should just be better people.

-You, for some loving reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like imagine looking at a homeless person and saying "you know what? What you don't need is any financial help. Stay there and just work harder. Also I won't give you the chance to work harder."

Good job on that, you cock sucker.