Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sturmabteilung
Nov 17, 2019

by VideoGames
gently caress your human being games

got 700 hours from alt tab on reflex that i never played

never did mmorpgs

tribes 1 4 ever =]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RrA-R5VHQs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Nice

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sturmabteilung posted:

gently caress your human being games

got 700 hours from alt tab on reflex that i never played

never did mmorpgs

tribes 1 4 ever =]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RrA-R5VHQs

Waaait a minute. Who was the dude that would keep re-registering to go on and on about Tribes from like a decade ago? It wasn't Dare I don't think. Can't remember the guy's name.

Anyway, I wish I could play vanilla Everquest again for free or something. Man I loved that game.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've got a "quest" for you nerds -- IT'S CALLED LOSING UR VIRGINITY!!!! ahhhahahahaha got em!! :roflolmao:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That like a cursed item or something?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nooner posted:

I've got a "quest" for you nerds -- IT'S CALLED LOSING UR VIRGINITY!!!! ahhhahahahaha got em!! :roflolmao:

I had a quest to collect 10 bear asses and I brought the quest giver a picture of your moms rear end and he was like "ok here's your reward" lmao what now nooner more like noobner

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Giant_Pupils posted:

Waaait a minute. Who was the dude that would keep re-registering to go on and on about Tribes from like a decade ago? It wasn't Dare I don't think. Can't remember the guy's name.

Anyway, I wish I could play vanilla Everquest again for free or something. Man I loved that game.

Is this a troll? P99 green exists

Good troll I guess ya got me

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Giant_Pupils posted:

Project 1999 is what you are looking for. They just started a new server which is starting at vanilla and will release Kunark and Velious later when they were released historically.

soy posted:

Is this a troll? P99 green exists

Good troll I guess ya got me

drat, he got me too. Good troll.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Everquest lead designer Brad McQuaid died on 11/18/2019 at the age of 51. Everquest was a legendary game and I played it obsessively. When I play WoW I know I'm playing a video game. When I played Everquest I felt like I was immersed in another world even though it was much simpler on a technical level. There was no map, everything could kill you, it got dark and scary, there were no mounts in vanilla and it felt like everything was miles apart. Many lives were ruined by EQ addiction. I relentlessly mocked Brad McQuaid for "The Vision" and his obnoxious design decisions, but I have to concede that no other MMO had quite the same magic as McQuaid era Everquest. The only thing that felt remotely similar was Vanguard, which was also a McQuaid MMO(it shut down).

He didn't become fabulously wealthy the way Richard Garriot did and was most recently trying to get a new MMO kickstarted called Pantheon. The kickstarter failed and the project was only saved by an angel investor. Who knows if it will ever get released now. Use this thread to remember the good times you had playing Everquest or tell stories about the time McQuaid allegedly stole medication out of his employee's desk.

https://www.pcgamer.com/everquest-and-pantheon-developer-brad-mcquaid-has-died/

Old gamers die so that newer, more epic gamers can rise up in their stead.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
RIP

Watching orc trains rampage through newbie zones was drat good times back in the day

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

RIP

Watching orc trains rampage through newbie zones was drat good times back in the day

I'd take my monk and train sergeant slate to the back of the commonlands tunnel then feign death, he'd path back to his patrol route and kill every single evil aligned character trying to auction in his way

the best thing everquest ever did was trains

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Giant_Pupils posted:

I think that was Airdisc?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What was the cause of death? Suicide or overdose?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

This looks like so much fun can't wait to do this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

EX250 Type R posted:

He rolled a 1 on a fort save :roflolmao:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
RIP, Aradune. I was a geeky homeschooled kid big into Dungeons & Dragons, and joined the Rallos Zek PvP server because I thought it would generate better stories because I'd heard some older person say "There is no drama without conflict." Little did I know it would be a wretched hive of scum and villainy, in the best possible way. You made the game that taught me not to take poo poo from people and that I could fight back against bullies; that most people are fundamentally untrustworthy, even when they don't mean to be; and that it's better to have a small group of competent colleagues than a huge mass of idiots.

Also, dispelling someone's Levitate while they're chasing you between the tips of the teleportation spires in the Dreadlands so that they plummet to their death is one of the greatest moments of my gaming life, so thanks for that :glomp:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Wood Elf starting city was a hell maze of tree house bridges. At the game's peak you would see newbies falling off and dying at regular intervals. They would usually die again to trash mobs while they searched for their corpses on the forest floor. That area had such soothing music though!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

He died???

I worked with him for a bit in 2011 and then 2014 when he was trying to make a new game. It was a flash style fb iso game. Then he hit me up when he started working on a new MMO, Pantheon, using a unity engine and I was on that for a while. Seemed like a nice enough guy, he paid me on time. Goons talked a lot of poo poo about him at the time though, so it was kind of confusing. I felt like he probably had a rough time for a while and had a lot of past following him at the time which explains the goon hate.

Going back through my emails and recounting the last couple convos, he was really nice. I had gotten a full time job and had a hard time keeping up with Pantheon dev and he was really gentle about pitching the idea that maybe we should part ways. He was also open to being a sounding board for other ideas I had for some other projects and career stuff, including entertaining my ask to get my resume in front of the PlanetSide 2 team lol. I was glad to see Pantheon update emails over the years, it seemed like it was growing and he was pushing his passion

Rest in peace Brad. 51 is too early my man

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 21, 2019

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
He was leagues ahead of weirdos like Chris Roberts, Lord British, and Romero, but not quite as cool as Ken Williams. I give him a B-. Thanks for letting me appreciate the gravity of losing all of my poo poo.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Node posted:

Project 1999 is what you are looking for. They just started a new server which is starting at vanilla and will release Kunark and Velious later when they were released historically.

drat, he got me too. Good troll.

Absolutely wasn’t kidding. I will check it out.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

EX250 Type R posted:

Nobody knows yet, another former EQ/Vanguard guy killed himself very recently, so wouldn't be surprising.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/18/former-everquest-vanguard-developer-passes-away-colleagues-raise-money-for-his-family/

But with Brad being an opiate addict, I would sooner suspect an OD.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Giant_Pupils posted:

Absolutely wasn’t kidding. I will check it out.

If you're into the planes of power era at all there's also the al'kabor project. It's currently on luclin and PoP is expected late next year. Server has a really friendly tight knit community.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I feel like that dude lived pretty hard.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Brad ruled and his gloriously brutal unforgiving insurmountable learning curve elf sim game should not have ruined as many people's GPA's as it did including mine for like most of highschool. Also lots of people who play p99 had never played eq before and got hooked anyway (endgame raiding is completely sociopathic at times) so gently caress the haters saying it's all nostalgia!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

hot date tonight! posted:

If you're into the planes of power era at all there's also the al'kabor project. It's currently on luclin and PoP is expected late next year. Server has a really friendly tight knit community.

I graduated college right as Velious hit so that was the end for me more or less. I'm more interested in short-manning Vox and Nagafen and farming Jboots than anything that came after that. I think I saw the inside of Veeshan's Peak once and that was about when I said "lol gently caress this" and sold my EQ-dude for around $800 US dollars. I do not regret it - but I'd like to play again. I had a human paladin with epic weapon and a bunch of legacy stuff (like that dark elf mask from Guk and Jboots) along with a bunch of dragon gear back when it was pretty rare (cloak of flames...other stuff I can't remember).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Relayer posted:

Brad ruled and his gloriously brutal unforgiving insurmountable learning curve elf sim game should not have ruined as many people's GPA's as it did including mine for like most of highschool. Also lots of people who play p99 had never played eq before and got hooked anyway (endgame raiding is completely sociopathic at times) so gently caress the haters saying it's all nostalgia!

Thank you for your service, Mr. McQuaid.

Cat Feathers
Apr 13, 2002

Soiled Meat
I was an EverQuest GM from 2000 until 2006 and I am eternally grateful for that experience.

I worked graveyard shifts for a while because it paid more. I will never forget when an obviously loaded Brad McQuaid showed up in Chat at 2AM on Christmas. I was being hateful and Bah-Humbug and he changed my chat name to [GM_Name] Xmas-Elf.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
isn’t Everquest one of the few video games that has an irl body count
some guy locked his kid in the closet or something

if so I honor brad with 20% of my full power
if not I honor brad with only 8% of my full power

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Cubone posted:

isn’t Everquest one of the few video games that has an irl body count

Cursory digging seems to show at least two dead children because of Everquest addicted poo poo parents but I'm having trouble finding actual sources that still exist on the net.

E: managed to find one. Mom let her kid die. Household had 3 adults in it https://web.archive.org/web/20030828143937/http://www.nwaonline.net:80/285269046700825.bsp

E2: Here's a list of games with bodycounts https://www.looper.com/9331/video-games-ruined-peoples-lives/

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 21, 2019

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I played EQ pretty much religiously from late beta(98 to about 06) most of that time in release in top or second tier raiding guilds. Racing for Trakanon, or Emp, 12 hour Vex Thal raids. Played a wizard pretty much the entire time. Good times. It wasn't a perfect game by any means but it had a real challenge to it that required teamwork to get out of that first stage of the game which later games didn't, you could essentially play single player right to the top in a more modern MMO without much interaction. EQ forced you to group if you wanted to get past say level 35-40 unless you were very patient and exceptionally good at soloing as the game didn't give you the tools to solo well even on solo friendly classes like Necro or Wizard as the big XP areas had the ability to kill you with minor mistakes(Plane of Fire tables, you agg the front guards and you could be handling 30 elementals in seconds).

Made some friends who are still in contact with me to this day, admittedly sporadic. Though the commitment to the game may have been to the detriment of my education. My EQ career ended when I met the woman who is now my wife, and I don't regret the decision to let the game go at all.

Still occasionally boot the game up, play for a month and let it lapse just for fun.

RIP Brad McQuaid, thanks for the fun, thanks for being one of the more entertaining developers in the MMO industry rather than the carefully stage managed interactions from Blizzard etc.

I often consider booting up P99, but I no longer have the time to commit to such gaming experiences. Too old, too many responsibilities.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Fanelien posted:

I often consider booting up P99, but I no longer have the time to commit to such gaming experiences. Too old, too many responsibilities.

Don't be silly, on the current p99 green\teal servers getting a manastone only requires roughly 70-100 hours of uninterrupted straight camping!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Fanelien posted:

I played EQ pretty much religiously from late beta(98 to about 06)

nearly 17 year old avatar text nice

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
first and second generation mmos (all the way up to end of vanilla wow) were kind of the real deal. they actually lived up to the hype. you really did feel that you were making your way in a dangerous world, learning rare secrets, acquiring contacts, making friends, living in a different society. you simply can't have the same experience these days. it was a terrible thing to do with a lot of my time in my late teens and early 20s but i don't entirely regret it.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 22, 2019

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Daybreak runs these Time-Locked Progression servers now where you can play through EQ again starting with classic. The server Mangler just released Luclin this week and has been up since March of this year, PoP releases in about 2 months.

General EQ thread is here with discord info for goons who play on Mangler:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&pagenumber=350#lastpost

I burned out again due to raiding 16 hours a week on weeknights but playing through Velious again was a blast.

RIP The Vision.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Coolnezzz posted:

Daybreak runs these Time-Locked Progression servers now where you can play through EQ again starting with classic. The server Mangler just released Luclin this week and has been up since March of this year, PoP releases in about 2 months.

General EQ thread is here with discord info for goons who play on Mangler:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&pagenumber=350#lastpost

I burned out again due to raiding 16 hours a week on weeknights but playing through Velious again was a blast.

RIP The Vision.

Yeah they were tempting when I saw them announced too. That Velious/Luclin/PoP era was my favourite by far. Some of the best, most competitive raiding happened in that period.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Ehud posted:

I was homeschooled and I played EQ instead of learning.

Same but DAOC. I don' tthink I missed out on much tbh.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cat Feathers posted:

I was an EverQuest GM from 2000 until 2006 and I am eternally grateful for that experience.

I worked graveyard shifts for a while because it paid more. I will never forget when an obviously loaded Brad McQuaid showed up in Chat at 2AM on Christmas. I was being hateful and Bah-Humbug and he changed my chat name to [GM_Name] Xmas-Elf.

More EQ GM stories please

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Hyrax Attack! posted:

More EQ GM stories please

Seriously why hasn't she made a thread for these?

Cat Feathers
Apr 13, 2002

Soiled Meat

Resting Lich Face posted:

Seriously why hasn't she made a thread for these?

Because I am still scared of NDAs but I have tales for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Cat Feathers posted:

Because I am still scared of NDAs but I have tales for days.

You had to sign an NDA to be a GM? Is that standard?

Also, on one hand, I can see a lot of what you guys are saying, but on the other hand, I really do not want to run for hours of realtime to get somewhere in my goddamned game.